Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 28th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,946Posts
    • 5,643Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Let's do this!
    • 28th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    Let's do this! 28th Jan 18 at 11:56 AM
    Hi everyone

I've been a member on the forums for some years, but not been active for a long time. I really want to get myself out of debt and feel that keeping a diary will keep me accountable so I came over here

My debt has accrued since my 20s where I think I bought things to fill a void without being able to pay them back. I've been a bit of a "I need to have it now otherwise I'll never be able to have it!" type person. It's only recently (I'm now 37!) that I've been able to give myself a talking to and say if I don't have the spare cash then it can't go on my cards. I'm spending far too much on minimum payments which could go towards holidays and treats etc.

Dealing with my debt has also been difficult as I've been a been a student for about eight years so paying the fees has come first, although for my latest (and final!) course I had to pay for some of the fees on my credit card. Not ideal by any means but the career opportunities and salary will enable me to pay off more towards my debts.

I'm studying a doctorate and will be doing my viva in March 2018. A few months' ago I got a new job on the understanding that I would be qualifying in my profession shortly. Once my viva is passed (assuming I don't totally botch it!) I'll be qualified and my salary will increase to a level where I can pay £200-£200 per month extra off of my debts.

But it's not just the salary increase which will help. My whole mindset has to change and I hope that by keeping this diary it will help motivate me to keep going and wipe this debt off for good! I'll post my numbers in the next post.

I look forward to "meeting" you all. Please feel free to chip in with money saving ideas or other ways to reduce debt as I'm aware there are wiser souls here than myself
    My debt-free diary
Page 14
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 7th Apr 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    I often wonder if I am buying off other MSE folk on eBay. Hope you get your bargain Lilith.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Probably Cumbria Lass! Thank you
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 12th Apr 18, 5:31 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Hi all, not been on here much as concentrating on making the changes to my thesis, which are nearly done. I'll get them finished and then send them to my supervisor for checking. I hope he can come back to me quickly as I'd like to graduate in July. I'm really stressed about it all and not sleeping too good so I'll be glad once it's done.

Spending has been kept down since we came back from our week off. I was meant to be meeting up with a friend next week but she's cancelled and we've rearranged for May, so that saves me some money this month. I've got therapy again this weekend, but I budget for that each month.

Managed to get myself some good bargains on ebay. Ended up with 3 t-shirts, three jumpers, and a new sports bra for about £40. I used the money I'd normally put away in my rainy day fund, as I figured it was time to treat myself, and I actually did need most of the clothes as I'd gotten rid of a load.

Hope everyone is keeping well
    My debt-free diary
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 14,578 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Try not to worry about your thesis too much Lilith - you sound like you've got it under control.

Clothes were definitely an excellent bargain!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 10/11/2018 - £1801.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 29
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 12th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Try not to worry about your thesis too much Lilith - you sound like you've got it under control.

Clothes were definitely an excellent bargain!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Thanks Seasidegal! I'm just worried that I'll send it to my supervisor and he'll take weeks to send it back (I've had this issue throughout my doctorate), but we'll see. I'd like to graduate in July and get it done
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Apr 18, 9:08 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,539 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Good spend on your clothes .

Your thesis will happen when it happens, as SG says don't worry about it.
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 15th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Good spend on your clothes .

Your thesis will happen when it happens, as SG says don't worry about it.
    Thanks Cumbria Lass. I know I need to chill about it. I just want it over as it's been so stressful. It'll happen as you say
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 17th Apr 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Received my £125 switching bonus from Natwest the other day which was a nice surprise as I didn't expect it until later this month I put £100 in the rainy day fund and bought some wine and foodie treats for hubby and I with the remainder.

Cashed in £15 from mysurveys and also a £5 amazon voucher from Shoppix. Just waiting for my Receipt Hog account to reach the threshold too but but seems to go slower than Shoppix lol.

I need to check my rainy day fund as I want to start paying more off my credit cards and haven't done that for a bit.

Had an email from the university yesterday to say I can send my revised thesis by email rather than posting it, which was a relief as it was going to cost about £40 to reprint and post!
    My debt-free diary
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 58,734 Posts
    • 243,484 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the bonus.
    Good news to on being able to email rather than post.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 17th Apr 18, 11:18 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Thanks beanie
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 22nd Apr 18, 6:47 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. We've had some glorious sunshine here, although I think rain is forecast for part of today.

Hubby and I went for a meal yesterday, but it only cost £10 as we used our Tesco vouchers

Need to do the monthly food shop today, ugh! I've taken an inventory so that we don't buy more than what we need. I really loathe going into the shops (we go to Aldi and Tesco), but it only takes us about an hour in total so it's not too bad.

I've been awake since 5.30am thanks to the pooch, but I do love listening to the dawn chorus at that time. She is now sound asleep on my lap

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.
    My debt-free diary
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 22nd Apr 18, 3:12 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 14,578 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Well done on your MSE meal Lilith!

I hope you're having a lovely Sunday - weather great here but we're in for some showers later as well.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 10/11/2018 - £1801.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 29
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 22nd Apr 18, 3:25 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Thanks SG! Had some sun and rain here so far. Managed to get the pooch out for a walk. No doubt we'll be in for more rain later
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 22nd Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,539 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Oh my you did have an early call from the pooch.

Good news on the thesis. Sounds like you have had a nice weekend .
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 22nd Apr 18, 7:02 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Thanks Cumbria Lass
    My debt-free diary
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 22nd Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    • 58,734 Posts
    • 243,484 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you had a nice meal
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 23rd Apr 18, 6:15 AM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Glad that you had a nice meal
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks Beanielou
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 29th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    It's been a nice weekend, if a little boozy and I don't really drink that much these days.

It was a friend's birthday during the week and he said he was having a few drinks on Saturday evening. I asked hubby if he fancied going. We don't go out that much, but it's a bit of a trek to the town as we live further out than our friends. I had some spare cash left over from last month and I'd initially wanted to pay some extra off my credit card with it, then said to myself that we hadn't seen our friends in ages and the debt wasn't getting any bigger so it would do for a month

We went by bus on the way there to save money, but had to get a cab back as the buses stop at something like 8pm! Including the taxi we spent a total of £45 - that got us a few drinks, portion of chips on the walk to the taxi rank (because you just have to lol), and the taxi back was £20. I'm glad we don't do it often because we couldn't afford to, and it would make it less special.

My supervisor sent me an email saying it would be another two weeks before he sent my corrections back. I'm fed up of it all, but there's nothing I can do so I'll take this next two weeks as time to chill out

Weather has been pretty miserable here. I'm hoping we have better weather when we go away to Cornwall in June! Hope everyone is doing okay
    My debt-free diary
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 29th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,539 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Love the bag of chips on the way to the taxi rank, it's a long time since I have done that. Sorry to hear your thesis is still carrying on , but nothing you can do about it.

Have a good week.
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 29th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    Love the bag of chips on the way to the taxi rank, it's a long time since I have done that. Sorry to hear your thesis is still carrying on , but nothing you can do about it.

Have a good week.
    Thanks Cumbria, you too
    My debt-free diary
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 6th May 18, 5:05 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    What beautiful weather we're having. We set off early this morning for a countryside walk...parked the car on a car park of a local village hall. We got back from the walk about 3 hours' later and someone had backed into my car and driven off! The whole bumper will need replacing

On the positive side it's only the bumper and not the body, and at least we weren't in the car when it happened. But, it makes me so cross that they didn't even leave a note.

I've got a crime reference from the police. I've left a message at the village hall for them to contact me as it said on the wall that CCTV was in operation. The police said if the village hall confirm it has captured something then they will go and view it. My insurer isn't open until Tuesday so not much else I can do until then. I'm hoping they trace the driver otherwise it's £150 on the excess

I'm trying to look on the plus side, but it's such a faff and £150 I really didn't want to take out of my rainy day fund. I guess that's what it's there for
    My debt-free diary
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

231Posts Today

1,597Users online

Martin's Twitter