Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 6,407Posts
    • 44,668Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Things can only get better
    • 27th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    Things can only get better 27th Jan 18 at 9:50 PM
    Unbelievably my very long running diary of 5 years seems to have been deleted Not happy about this to say the least

Not sure what to do about it. Need my diary to keep me sane and on track.

Had to swiftly come up with a new title, had been meaning to start a new diary but not this way.

Anyway, in brief for those who don't know, my life changed drastically 5 years ago when my OH got Lymphoma in his brain, nearly lost his life but miraculously survived, although he has permanent brain damage and is disabled. So we lost his wage and I'm now the sole breadwinner. At its highest debt was around £5k but paid off thankfully.

I try to keep as normal a life as I can.

Still really angry my old diary has gone
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2010 £13.14
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
Page 68
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Oct 18, 4:46 PM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 44,668 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Have sorted Mr SA out with a brand new phone paying out no more than he is now for his sim only contract He's chosen the phone himself - unbelievably he wanted a flip open one, I didn't realise they still existed! However, he only really uses his phone to make calls and take photos. Went through Tesco mobile and I had to speak to them mostly as they couldn't understand him.

At the same time I upgraded my phone and will be paying more out a month than I am at the moment but it will be worth it. As it's been playing up a lot recently I'd rather do it sooner rather than later. I've had my current phone for 5 years now (iPhone 4) so have had my money's worth. I've upgraded to iPhone 7 the larger one.

Both phones are coming tomorrow - so that's my job for tomorrow setting up phones.

Mr SA still keeps asking for his chain money. I've told him I'll keep it in the bank until he sees something he really needs. It's burning a hole in his pocket. He said if he can't have the cash then he'll have his chain back - too late mate! Honestly he behaves like a 2 year old sometimes! If I gave in and let him have the cash he'd just fritter it away on beer or coffee - I might suggest he buys a lawn mower with it.

He's done absolutely nothing today. We took the dog on the park across the road this morning then he sat and watched TV until lunchtime. After lunch he slept. The garden is a mess, leaves everywhere, weeds sprouting up all over and the grass needs cutting desperately. I did the weeding anyway in between ironing, cleaning and unpacking the suitcases.

The weather was lovely again most of today but has just gone rather dark, must be the storm on its way.
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Oct 18, 5:22 PM
    • 6,351 Posts
    • 45,915 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm glad you've got a nice new phone coming . As for Mr SA, I have no words
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 11th Oct 18, 5:29 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 3,497 Thanks
    Chrystal
    I think you do a brilliant job in a not very easy situation. You have to be the master of everything and the servant to everyone.... you're bound to be at screaming pitch at times. ((hugs))
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 11th Oct 18, 6:00 PM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 6,831 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Lovely to catch up with you news and will be interested to know what you think of the iPhone 7
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding”
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 18, 7:57 PM
    • 58,707 Posts
    • 243,302 Thanks
    beanielou
    I would love an iphone 7
    Enjoy xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Oct 18, 8:36 PM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 44,668 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Personally I need a phone that's more computer than phone. I download a lot of music, take a lot of photos and use lots of apps. So I'm hoping this phone will fit the bill. Of course I would've liked the newest iPhone but can't justify the price, no way. As long as it does what I need it to do I'll be happy. When we were on holiday my phone wouldn't charge up for some reason so I had to switch it off, then Mr SA's phone died, I felt so trapped without communication means other than my iPad. Plus before we went away my phone was playing up when I couldn't hear people speaking. So time to upgrade before I'm totally stuffed. After 5 years I've had my money's worth for sure. They asked if I wanted insurance, told them I've got every phone I've ever had all in pristine condition right back to my old Sony Walkman phone, so no need to insure.

Took the dog on the park again while Mr SA slept this afternoon. It was quite nice as it just starting to get dark, then it was all ruined when my dog had an altercation with another dog, they were proper fighting Both female terriers. Anyway my dog is fine, no harm done but very stressful and scary at the time.
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 18, 8:43 PM
    • 58,707 Posts
    • 243,302 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey that must have been scary.
    Glad that your dog is ok.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Oct 18, 8:51 PM
    • 6,351 Posts
    • 45,915 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Dog fights are horrible, glad your dog is okay. You'll love the new iPhone
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Oct 18, 1:58 PM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 44,668 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Phones are both here and in the process of being set up. Love how all my data just transferred from my old phone (photos, apps, etc). Mr SA's phone is very basic but it takes photos and he's over the moon it's got a radio. Apparently it's a phone suitable for the elderly - he's 53

Right on cue my old phone has started playing up again, no sound on calls, so good timing for getting a new one.

Good job I took the dog on the park this morning as the weather is dire right now - wet and very windy.

Cashed out £27.51 from Quidco and £12.68 from TCB today
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 18, 2:16 PM
    • 58,707 Posts
    • 243,302 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy new phone

Dire here too now.
    Was ok here earlier.
    Should have gone to library earlier

***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 12th Oct 18, 2:55 PM
    • 6,351 Posts
    • 45,915 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Our weather was worse this morning. Glad you and Mr SA are pleased with your phones.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Oct 18, 5:25 PM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 44,668 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Still very windy here but not much rain. Took the dog on the park this afternoon, I couldn't see where I was going as my hair kept blowing over my face! When I got back home I had leaves in my hair!

My holiday is officially over now. At least I've got a day off at the end of the month to meet up with some friends.

Been faffing about with phones the best part of the afternoon, mainly Mr SA's. Putting numbers in it for him. It's so basic it doesn't do wifi. He's got a Kindle Fire though and to be honest he doesn't use the Internet much. I just hope at some stage he's not going to decide it's too basic for him. I'll throttle him if he does. He's driven me mad today, asking me how to do this and that on his phone. At one time I was in the middle of setting up a password on my phone and he made me lose where I was with it.

I've been asking him to tidy up his bedside table for weeks now and he's supposed to be doing it right now - I bet he hasn't touched it. It's just a mess of bottles and sprays and in the night he keeps knocking things over.

Today has been the first NSD of October Not been anywhere but the park. We need a few bits but can wait until tomorrow.

The dreaded post holiday weigh in at WW tomorrow Hopefully I won't have to pay. I intend to go every week now until Christmas. I really need to get back on track.
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 12th Oct 18, 8:06 PM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 15,527 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Happy new phone SA , your last one latest a long time . Hope Mr SA carries on enjoying his new phone as well.

As for the weigh in tomorrow, am sure you will lose it before Christmas if you have gained.

Very windy here , but not as bad as I though it would be.

Enjoy your weekend .
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 13th Oct 18, 12:32 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 3,497 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Lock yourself in the loo the next time you're trying to do something where you don't want to be disturbed... he won't come hammering on the door will he?.... or maybe he will
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Oct 18, 7:44 AM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 44,668 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Had a bit of a shock this morning, not sure how to feel. I haven't seen my dad since he left when I was 14. I've been in touch with my half sister intermittently but she wasn't exactly welcoming, however we are FB friends but never comment on each other's posts. Scrolling through FB this morning it looks as though my dad has passed away. It feels really weird. I feel I ought to send her a message.
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 13th Oct 18, 8:03 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 15,527 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I find it quite shocking that nobody has even informed you. I don't know your circumstances with your dad but he was your dad at the end of the day so think someone would have told you.

Sorry for you to have heard this via Facebook SA.
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Oct 18, 8:21 AM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 44,668 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    My dad walked out on my mum when I was 14. He had another woman, they had a daughter when I was 18. He left us in a lot of mess financially, the house was repossessed and we almost ended up in a homeless hostel. My mum made sure he never had contact again. I don't know if he tried. A few years ago I was contacted by my half sister via Genes Reunited. She told me he often thought about me and she'd seen photos of me but he found it difficult to talk about me. Then she seemed to go a bit cold on me. Recently she sent me a friend request on FB but no other messages.

I suspect he may have died fairly recently.

I sent her a message saying sorry to hear, I didn't realise he's died. She just replied yes.

Just gone to tell Mr SA and he's not sympathetic at all.

The truth is I feel shocked even though I hadn't seen him for so long. It's a weird feeling.
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 13th Oct 18, 8:46 AM
    • 2,495 Posts
    • 15,527 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Natural to feel shocked SA , it's a strange situation to be in. Hope you get some sympathy from your friends . I can't pretend to understand how you feel as I haven't been in this situation, but sending a big hug . Have you any other siblings or was it just you ?
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Oct 18, 9:25 AM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 14,557 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Sorry to hear your news SA and as Cumbria writes, it natural to feel at sea and I hope you can talk it over with someone as Mr SA isn't particularly forthcoming. Perhaps your son? And of course we're all here.

My DD stopped all contact with her father in her early twenties and then a couple of years ago heard via his ex (who tracked down DD on the internet via her work) that he died abroad where he had been living. Although she had no time for him I was still concerned how she must have felt. She's not the type to wear her heart on her sleeve so I never knew quite how she really felt. Her OH said she was seemed fine emotionally but I still wondered.

Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 10/11/2018 - £1801.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 29
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Oct 18, 5:06 PM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 44,668 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks both. I was an only child. DS and the GKs came round this afternoon. I told him he understood I would be shocked, he said he's still your dad. It's a weird feeling.

Went to WW and I put on 2lb which isn't as bad as I'd feared. I'm 3lb over goal so the plan is to knuckle down and shed this ASAP. I bought the new cookbook from the meeting, plenty of veggie stuff in there. Yes - yet another cookbook, I have so many but I do use them.

Bought two buxus trees from a local shop £12.99 each - they're quite big for the price. I wanted to put them in two tall planters by the front door and put some fairy lights on them. Mr SA said he'd plant them, only a 5 minute job. Well he didn't as he was too tired (!!!) so I've planted them, plus swept up all the leaves in the drive that have blown in.

It has been so warm and sunny here today although very windy - 24 degrees. It was supposed to rain today.

We're having a state visit from SIL and BIL tomorrow. They don't visit very often. On the plus side SIL will nag Mr SA about not finishing off the garden. Weeks ago we bought some patio slabs, stones and stepping stones that he was desperate to get so he could get on with it - nothing has happened and they're still where they were when they were delivered. He won't let me get someone in to do the job, it's so frustrating.

DGS had a right tantrum this afternoon. He hides in corners when he's like this and went behind the TV and pulled a cable out. He's being tested for autism as he's showing all the signs apparently. He can't say many words and he's two and a half. He doesn't interact with you either. DS has had to buy him a weighted blanket as it makes him feel safe.

Prior to buying a new TV I've been pricing up getting it fixed to the wall and having it set up properly. Prices ranged from £72 to £140. Thankfully BIL has offered to do it as he's fitted quite a few. Just didn't fancy Mr SA tackling it, I could just imagine it crashing to the floor in the middle of the night.

Mr SA is back on the pester for his gold chain money - sigh
    Debt £1880
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,562Posts Today

7,834Users online

Martin's Twitter