Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 6,339Posts
    • 43,964Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Things can only get better
    • 27th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    Things can only get better 27th Jan 18 at 9:50 PM
    Unbelievably my very long running diary of 5 years seems to have been deleted Not happy about this to say the least

Not sure what to do about it. Need my diary to keep me sane and on track.

Had to swiftly come up with a new title, had been meaning to start a new diary but not this way.

Anyway, in brief for those who don't know, my life changed drastically 5 years ago when my OH got Lymphoma in his brain, nearly lost his life but miraculously survived, although he has permanent brain damage and is disabled. So we lost his wage and I'm now the sole breadwinner. At its highest debt was around £5k but paid off thankfully.

I try to keep as normal a life as I can.

Still really angry my old diary has gone
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £404.08
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
Page 49
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Jul 18, 12:01 AM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Eek, those animals of yours need to go and get a job . I hope the tooth decay can be sorted easily. So sad about the other lady's cat though.
    MFW #30 Paid off £3,535.94/£3000 as of 6/11/18
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 7th Jul 18, 11:44 AM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 12,538 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I use Advantage (£11/4 tubes) on most of our cats, but fluffy pants has the more expensive Advocate (£40/6) from the vets because that covers worms too as he is a demon with tablets. One of mine had to have several teeth removed under anaesthetic 18 months ago and that was about £250, sorry. They gave me a worst case quote of £450 at the time

Front line (and generic equivalents) seem to have stopped working although they used to be very good.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Jul 18, 8:35 PM
    • 6,339 Posts
    • 43,964 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I know it won't be cheap redo. Got to be done though.

Have had a good Saturday, 1lb loss at WW, hair cut and spent the afternoon lazing in the sun. Tried to get away from the football but our southern Irish neighbours had the TV outside and were very loudly supporting England. We live in an area that is predominantly Italian/southern Irish. It did make me smile that even the Bulgarian people down the road had England flags out.

Must check finances tomorrow, have had a couple of very spendy days. Also need to clean up tomorrow morning but the afternoon will be spent sunbathing again

And Mr SA is STILL watching b****y football Only one more week to go.
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 7th Jul 18, 9:05 PM
    • 5,850 Posts
    • 41,594 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Eek, those animals of yours need to go and get a job .
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge

I know it won't be cheap redo. Got to be done though.

Have had a good Saturday, 1lb loss at WW, hair cut and spent the afternoon lazing in the sun. Tried to get away from the football but our southern Irish neighbours had the TV outside and were very loudly supporting England. We live in an area that is predominantly Italian/southern Irish. It did make me smile that even the Bulgarian people down the road had England flags out.

Must check finances tomorrow, have had a couple of very spendy days. Also need to clean up tomorrow morning but the afternoon will be spent sunbathing again

And Mr SA is STILL watching b****y football Only one more week to go.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Football it seems to be going on forever
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 8th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 14,150 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Just catching up - must admit I'm really getting into the football as were doing so well. Reminding me of '66! Great excuse for a good drink with friends as well!

Hope all goes well with puss's dental treatment.

Book the holiday - whatever date you choose in the end!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 19/11/2018 - £1777.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 30
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    • 6,339 Posts
    • 43,964 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hey SSG I still have the World Cup Willie snow shaker my parents bought me but I was too young to remember the match

I might moan but the atmosphere the World Cup is creating is brilliant You should see where I work, they have decorated it with flags of every nation and it's so colourful.

Have spent a very nice day in the sun today and it's been a NSD, the first one of July. Did my finances this morning and really need to update my signature as it's so out of date.

Still not booked Lanzarote for October but 90% sure I will. I've got 11 days leave to use up before the end of October - any excuse LOL.

Just made a date to meet work friend for lunch on Friday. I used to work with her in my old job and miss her so much. The people I work with now are lovely but it's not the same. The lady who sits behind me is lovely but she's deaf, her first language is signing, we have had a few sort of conversations with gesticulations and she can lip read quite well but it's pretty quiet as you can imagine. There is talk of a sign language course and I would like to go on it. I'm picking up a few bits from her but it would be good to be more fluent. I still don't regret moving jobs though, I do love my new job and I feel really appreciated.

DGD's 4th birthday tomorrow. We were in Ibiza the day she was born. It was weird, DS's GF was in labour and I was dancing in Cafe Mambo about to become a gran. Not long now and we'll be back

So Monday looms, must go to bed soon in preparation for the week ahead. Have a good one folks xx
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Jul 18, 8:10 PM
    • 6,339 Posts
    • 43,964 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    How did it get to Wednesday already

Not a lot to report really, been pretty boring, just work, cooking, cleaning, lots of walking, Pilates. Mr SA has been hard work what with his World Cup obsession and his knack of not making it to the toilet in time Washing the bathroom floor at 1am is not my idea of fun, especially when I get up at 5. And then there's the soiled clothes

Hope everyone is ok, will catch up with diaries shortly xx
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 11th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 9,164 Posts
    • 55,259 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Oh hun the toilet problems must be awful . I really feel for you Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 39/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Jul 18, 8:32 PM
    • 5,850 Posts
    • 41,594 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    How did it get to Wednesday already

Not a lot to report really, been pretty boring, just work, cooking, cleaning, lots of walking, Pilates. Mr SA has been hard work what with his World Cup obsession and his knack of not making it to the toilet in time Washing the bathroom floor at 1am is not my idea of fun, especially when I get up at 5. And then there's the soiled clothes

Hope everyone is ok, will catch up with diaries shortly xx
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Oh no how horrible for you you deserve a medal.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jul 18, 8:44 PM
    • 58,135 Posts
    • 239,865 Thanks
    beanielou
    & I thought one of the cats being sick in three places was bad enough.
    You have my sympathy xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • milann
    • By milann 11th Jul 18, 10:02 PM
    • 2,008 Posts
    • 9,769 Thanks
    milann
    Ouch to vets bills and to cleaning messes at silly o clock - you deserve that holiday - go SA - go SA

Will your gdd start school in September then? My gdd starts in September but with a November birthday is in the older half of the year - some of them are only just 4 - so young to be starting school - lol I think being a grandma is making me go soft in my old age - I never felt like that about mine but I'd never worked in a school then so didn't know what was expected of them
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Jul 18, 11:05 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 12,214 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hope you get an uninterrupted night tonight, SA.
    MFW #30 Paid off £3,535.94/£3000 as of 6/11/18
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 13th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,698 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hope you're doing well SA and Mr SA is not too heartbroken by the result.

I have loved the atmosphere too and whilst I won't get a season ticket for our local club, may continue going to the odd home game. They regularly pull in 20,000 at home so its a good feeling (well when they are winning of course!)

Just catching up on the diaries after a crazy busy few weeks. Very glad to see you're enjoying the job. My DD did some signing for a while, she loved it. Very little grammar so easy to pick up she says..
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct] 2018 Income Goal £100/£750 November Goals: AFDs 13/25; Decluttering 07/60; LSDs 05/10; NSDs 01/10 Exercise 02/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 13th Jul 18, 1:48 PM
    • 3,267 Posts
    • 13,480 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hi Sun.A,

Life's ups and downs, eh?

Footie was great from my PoV; could hear from neighbours' vocalisations if anything spectacular had occurred [didn't watch it m'self] and meanwhile Mutt and I enjoyed some lovely peaceful walks without inconsiderate cyclists and joggers zooming past, because almost everyone was glued to their goggle-boxes!

Sounds like time to get MrSA some incontinence night-wear. There appears to be a good choice of styles available, although how you'd broach the subject I have no idea..
    But it's a lessor evil than the onerous task of cleaning up after him in the middle of the night.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 13th Jul 18, 7:53 PM
    • 6,307 Posts
    • 23,768 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening SA,

Just checking in on you , get that October holiday booked... You Only Love Once after all! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jul 18, 8:25 PM
    • 5,850 Posts
    • 41,594 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hope you've had a good day SA.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 6,339 Posts
    • 43,964 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Friday the 13th
    Friday the 13th indeed!! I've had a tax bill for £60k - they will be taking it from me in instalments of just under £8k a month until it's paid and and another

I know it's wrong - but still!! I knew the pension payment would cause issues. I wouldn't mind but I've already paid tax on it. According to a friend in the know says the system thinks I'll be getting said payment every month - I wish! Got to wait until Monday to sort it with tax area. The annoying thing is Mr SA put the letter in the living room and I didn't see it until after 5pm when the tax office was closed.

I knew asking for a lump sum would cause problems

I know it's not right and it will be sorted but it's still stressful

Mr SA was devastated when England got knocked out of the World Cup. I tried to make him see they'd done really well getting to the final four but he wasn't having it. Anyway it was all my fault as they were winning until I decided to sit down and watch! He even removed his flag from his scooter However, he's now getting geared up for the final and is deciding which beer to save for it.

Had a lovely catch up with work friend at lunchtime, I really miss working with her. Work in the new office today was so boring, hardly anyone in, so quiet you could hear a pin drop and nothing much to do - yawn.
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jul 18, 9:30 PM
    • 5,850 Posts
    • 41,594 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Oh no how aggravating! I'm not surprised you're stressed . You can sort it out on Monday but still very annoying . Try to enjoy your weekend and not think about it.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jul 18, 9:36 PM
    • 58,135 Posts
    • 239,865 Thanks
    beanielou
    I suppose at least you know it will be sorted out.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jul 18, 9:45 PM
    • 6,339 Posts
    • 43,964 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I've been advised to open a personal tax account. I tried but the code they sent me wasn't recognised. I'll have another go tomorrow when I'm not so annoyed. I'm just worried it won't be sorted before I get paid and I'll get £0. How can they take £8k a month from my wages when I don't get anywhere near that! It's probably best I have the weekend to calm down before I ring them as I'm spitting feathers right now!
    Debt £2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,701Posts Today

8,713Users online

Martin's Twitter