Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 6,123Posts
    • 41,329Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Things can only get better
    • 27th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    Things can only get better 27th Jan 18 at 9:50 PM
    Unbelievably my very long running diary of 5 years seems to have been deleted Not happy about this to say the least

Not sure what to do about it. Need my diary to keep me sane and on track.

Had to swiftly come up with a new title, had been meaning to start a new diary but not this way.

Anyway, in brief for those who don't know, my life changed drastically 5 years ago when my OH got Lymphoma in his brain, nearly lost his life but miraculously survived, although he has permanent brain damage and is disabled. So we lost his wage and I'm now the sole breadwinner. At its highest debt was around 5k but paid off thankfully.

I try to keep as normal a life as I can.

Still really angry my old diary has gone
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 404.08
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
Page 38
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 6,123 Posts
    • 41,329 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    My pension is a civil service pension so not sure about AVCs. Thanks for the info though, worth looking into.

Talking of pensions, I've had another letter about the one that's winding up. Seems to be taking forever. The cut off date is 25 May - finally!

Dentist check up this afternoon, all ok thankfully.

Finally achieved a NSD This was despite Mr SA ringing me to get him a new grabber stick as he's broken his. He seems to think we've got a never ending supply of money and that I've got nothing better to do than run around shopping for him.

Back to the gym at lunchtime today, not been since before my holiday but have been to Pilates and doing loads of walking.

Weather has been fab here today, pity I was indoors for most of it.
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 14th May 18, 9:03 PM
    • 7,066 Posts
    • 15,303 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    My pension is a civil service pension so not sure about AVCs. Thanks for the info though, worth looking into.

Talking of pensions, I've had another letter about the one that's winding up. Seems to be taking forever. The cut off date is 25 May - finally!

Dentist check up this afternoon, all ok thankfully.

Finally achieved a NSD This was despite Mr SA ringing me to get him a new grabber stick as he's broken his. He seems to think we've got a never ending supply of money and that I've got nothing better to do than run around shopping for him.

Back to the gym at lunchtime today, not been since before my holiday but have been to Pilates and doing loads of walking.

Weather has been fab here today, pity I was indoors for most of it.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    If it is civil service pension that is a very good one. There is an A scheme I think and a lower one where contributions not as high but benefits lower. You can get quotes from your pension administrator. My daughter has just started making extra contributions into her civil service pension to buy extra years.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th May 18, 9:10 PM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 34,472 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Enjoy your last week in your old job
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th May 18, 7:45 PM
    • 6,123 Posts
    • 41,329 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks ES - I've been told I can buy extra years. I have the Alpha pension. I'll see what I can find out.

Only 2.5 days left in my present job. Finishing early on Friday for leaving celebrations at a nearby bar.

Another fabulous hot sunny day, it's killing me being trapped indoors. Not helped by Mr SA ringing to say how lovely it was in the garden!

Popped into Mr S this lunchtime and got the cushions and placemats that were absent from last week's online order

Interestingly, since my horrendous sleepless night last Monday when Mr SA snored all night and I threatened to smother him if he did it again, he hasn't snored. So he CAN control it!!!!

Hope everyone's had a good day.
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th May 18, 7:47 PM
    • 56,817 Posts
    • 231,212 Thanks
    beanielou
    NOt so sunny & warm here today.
    2 1/2 days to go
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 15th May 18, 9:57 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 2,252 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Yay to the new job starting soon!! Very exciting....

I love the fact that you are Mr SAs personal shopper If you look back over your diaries he has got you to get him some varied stuff never a dull moment in implementing the Mr SA purchasing model
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July] 2018 Income Goal 88/750 September Goals: AFDs 7/25; Decluttering 08/60; LSDs 02/10; NSDs xx/10 Exercise xx/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th May 18, 10:01 PM
    • 56,817 Posts
    • 231,212 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yay to the new job starting soon!! Very exciting....

I love the fact that you are Mr SAs personal shopper If you look back over your diaries he has got you to get him some varied stuff never a dull moment in implementing the Mr SA purchasing model
    Originally posted by brizzlegirl
    This is true

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th May 18, 8:59 PM
    • 6,123 Posts
    • 41,329 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    And here we are at Wednesday already.

Pilates this lunchtime and a low spend day - 3 for Pilates and 1 for a bag of salad leaves.

Lidl are selling grabber sticks for 3.99 from tomorrow, hopefully our local one will have them in stock. Mr SA's shopping list is certainly varied

In scary news Mr SA has announced he's going swimming on his own tomorrow :eek. He's not been since he had the carer and it wasn't very successful then. He's already packed a sports bag and it's by the front door.

I've put my ld coffee table and table and chairs on eBay, got 9 watchers on one and 8 on the other. Hopefully both will sell. If not they'll go to the charity shop as I need the space.
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th May 18, 9:05 PM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 34,472 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    to Mr SA going swimming alone! At least they have lifeguards .
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 16th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 15,480 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Enjoy the last few days before the new chapter SA

x
    Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th May 18, 9:31 PM
    • 56,817 Posts
    • 231,212 Thanks
    beanielou
    Swimming
    Hope ebay goes well

***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th May 18, 9:12 PM
    • 6,123 Posts
    • 41,329 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    He survived the swimming but was disappointed he can't get his co-ordination back. He used to be a good swimmer. Must be the area of his brain affected.

Bought cakes for work today to put out tomorrow, it's a dear do when there are 160 people in the office

Looking forward to my leaving do tomorrow but will be sad to leave my team. But then I'm only a building away and we'll meet up for lunch/drinks. I'm lucky I work with so many lovely people.

Mr SA is moaning about the cost of me leaving - drinks, cakes, lunch out, possible taxi home after if I've got flowers, wine, presents (not being presumptuous here, I might not have ) I'm not exactly going out on the lash. I'll probably spend 15 tops! My team wanted me to make a night of it with cocktails etc but as much as I enjoy a glass or two of wine I'm a bit of a lightweight with alcohol, two glasses is about my limit
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 17th May 18, 9:18 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 13,327 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Enjoy your last day , leaving lunch and drinks . Onwards and upwards , or next door in your case . Am sure you will get a pressie or two. Best had if there are 160 people in the office.

Mr SA is certainly a character , he definitely keeps you on your toes.
    CC1 221 /3718
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th May 18, 9:21 PM
    • 4,869 Posts
    • 34,472 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm glad Mr SA survived his swimming.

Enjoy your leaving do and I hope you get lots and lots of pressies .
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th May 18, 9:30 PM
    • 6,123 Posts
    • 41,329 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Already had one prezzie - a bottle of wine, chocs and a card with a lovely message Still can't believe I'm moving jobs after 18 years in this one.

Mr SA is talking about booking a holiday. It is on the cards though. Maybe Ibiza for my birthday again?
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th May 18, 9:34 PM
    • 1,946 Posts
    • 11,026 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Just popped in to wish you a happy last day in this job and transition to the next! Ibiza sounds pretty good to me.
    MFW #30 Paid off 2,481.24/3770 as of 4/8/18
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 18, 9:54 PM
    • 56,817 Posts
    • 231,212 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your last day , leaving lunch and drinks . Onwards and upwards , or next door in your case . Am sure you will get a pressie or two. Best had if there are 160 people in the office.

Mr SA is certainly a character , he definitely keeps you on your toes.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Agreed by me too xx

***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 18, 9:55 PM
    • 56,817 Posts
    • 231,212 Thanks
    beanielou
    Ibiza also sounds good xx

***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th May 18, 9:58 PM
    • 6,123 Posts
    • 41,329 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    The hotel we went to last year for my birthday is very reasonable for August. Maybe a job for this weekend - via Topcashback of course
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 17th May 18, 10:04 PM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 8,868 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Hope your last day is lovely and they spoil you rotten. Enjoy the celebration x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,110Posts Today

7,253Users online

Martin's Twitter