Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 6,011Posts
    • 40,313Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Things can only get better
    • 27th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    Things can only get better 27th Jan 18 at 9:50 PM
    Unbelievably my very long running diary of 5 years seems to have been deleted Not happy about this to say the least

Not sure what to do about it. Need my diary to keep me sane and on track.

Had to swiftly come up with a new title, had been meaning to start a new diary but not this way.

Anyway, in brief for those who don't know, my life changed drastically 5 years ago when my OH got Lymphoma in his brain, nearly lost his life but miraculously survived, although he has permanent brain damage and is disabled. So we lost his wage and I'm now the sole breadwinner. At its highest debt was around £5k but paid off thankfully.

I try to keep as normal a life as I can.

Still really angry my old diary has gone
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £376.59
    Debt £2240
    Weight loss 2/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £4000/£10,000
Page 28
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 56,278 Posts
    • 227,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    It's all been accepted Beanie but suspect it may be later in the year as the closing date to make your mind up was May. It annoys me because if it was me owing them money they'd want it straightaway. The 0% interest would be until April 2019 so surely it will be through by then, in the meantime I could chip away at it.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Spot on
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Apr 18, 7:45 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 12,674 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hope mr SA isn't too sore after his fall. And poor old dog - delayed Easter Egg reaction perhaps?

Your plan sounds sensible re paying for the floor - you don't want to keep yourself short of cash.

Commiserations on the delayed pension payout - I understand exactly how frustrated you must feel!

Have a good evening SA.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 16/07/2018: £776.27
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 34!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Apr 18, 8:42 PM
    • 56,278 Posts
    • 227,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all is well.
    Enjoy your weekend xx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Apr 18, 9:44 PM
    • 4,608 Posts
    • 32,550 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hope you've had a good day SA.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 40,313 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Happy Sunday folks Shame the weather isn't as glorious as it was yesterday but at least it's not raining.

Been AWOL a few days lost in the world of trying to get the dining room finished before we go on holiday. Plus sorting out the balance transfer. And then I tried to update from my iPad and it wanted my password - which I couldn't remember - so I'm on the laptop right now.

The floor is down and looks great - in fact shows up the floor in the living room but that's a job for another year not this one. The bookcase is here and is fab. I've ordered a table and chairs and a lamp table but won't be here until after holiday. Still need: some sort of open shelving for the alcove, floor lamp, curtains or voile, curtain pole, rug and doormat. This will have to be bought as and when.

So I now have debt on the Barclaycard to the tune of £2572.50 This covers clearing the Tesco card and with some money left over to buy a few more things for the dining room. 0% until April 2019 - intend to clear when I get the pension lump sum but will chip away at it in the meantime. I'm not proud of myself for getting back into debt, albeit temporarily, but what's done is done and hopefully I've learned something from it. A large portion of this has gone on the dining room and trying to get it finished - it's dragged on far too long and is costing more than anticipated but will look fab when it's finished. I'm trying to match it with my kitchen as it's linked via an archway so I'm trying to get oak and cream furniture.

So only 2 more working days until holiday and one of those will be a short day. Thankfully I've saved enough for the holiday spends and the euros have been ordered to collect on Tuesday. I ended up with £75 in my secret stash and Mr SA has managed to accumulate £30 for a pester fund.

I got a Groupon deal to have my gel manicure and pedicure £17 for both, which is a great price. Had them done yesterday afternoon in a nearby town about 4 miles away. It was nice to wander round somewhere different - I'm amazed Mr SA agreed to me doing this without him on a Saturday to be honest. The beauty salon I went to was a new start up at the back of a hair salon; the girl was very nice but to be honest I wouldn't have paid more than £17 for the treatment; she hardly had any colours to choose from and I haven't really got what I wanted. This is now the third time I've done a Groupon deal and been a bit disappointed.

Apart from the new debt, all the budgets are doing ok and a line has been drawn in the sand which I must not cross again.

Hope everyone is ok - now to catch up with diaries and see what you've all been up to.
    Debt £2240
    Weight loss 2/6LBS
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 15th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 6,255 Posts
    • 23,150 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon SA,

Re the dining room I think youve done the right thing. You got a good deal on the furniture you had seen and you have a plan to pay it off . Enjoy it!

£17 isn't a bad deal for both shellac but its nice to actually have a choice of colours!

Enjoy your holiday if I don't 'see' you before!!! x
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 15th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    • 4,608 Posts
    • 32,550 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You'll pay it off SA, at least it's on 0% and your dining room has a lovely floor and furniture. It's so easy to slip back into debt, but you've paid off much larger amounts in the past .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 8,726 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    There's a quotation somewhere about raising a family whose idea of decorating is to add another bookshelf. That's my ideal!

US, have you been to Oxfam's online shop? They have loads of books including unusual ones. I think they put the best from all their charity shops online so they'll reach a wider market.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge thanks for the tip.
    I have a fave Oxfam bookshop that I go to and they have always have an excellent selection of books in the SF/Fantasy section. However, they do know what they are selling and price them accordingly, more like a typical second-hand bookshop than a chazza iykwim... but they are almost guaranteed to have a book I am looking for when I am in...
    Fave chazza for books is Cancer Research 2 for £1 paperbacks and hardbacks are £1 each
    Have turned up quite a few bargains from there.

Sun Addict Not long now to your holibobs
    Hope you have a grand time
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 15th Apr 18, 4:48 PM
    • 1,760 Posts
    • 15,275 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Don't be too harsh on yourself SA

Hope you have a lovely holiday

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 18, 6:54 PM
    • 56,278 Posts
    • 227,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    Nearly happy holiday time

***Keep plodding***
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Apr 18, 7:41 PM
    • 2,036 Posts
    • 12,674 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I'm glad you're so pleased with your dining room SA. It will look lovely when the rest of the furniture arrives and you get the other bits. You've a good financial plan to pay for it all.

Not long to your hols now - and glad to hear that Mr SA has some cash in hand for his holiday pester fund!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 16/07/2018: £776.27
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 34!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 40,313 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks folks

It's nice to get the house done finally after so many years of making do. After the dining room, the living room needs a lick of paint but that's all really. The garden is the next big thing, I just wish Mr SA would potter around doing bits but all he does is move things around to different places.

Can't believe I started with a sore throat yesterday afternoon. Hoping it won't turn into a full blown cold. Feel achy

Just got to get through tomorrow then will finish early Tuesday and go to pick up euros.

Can't believe we're going on holiday in 4 days!!!! Really looking forward to seeing Lanzarote again - lost count of how many times we've been there but never get fed up of it.

Made enough soup to cover two days - spicy carrot and lentil - plus a vegetable lasagne tonight, half of which has gone in the freezer.

Today has been a NSD but probably the last one of April.
    Debt £2240
    Weight loss 2/6LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    • 56,278 Posts
    • 227,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    Boo to the sore throat

***Keep plodding***
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Apr 18, 8:55 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 12,621 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Hope you get through the couple of days ok. Have a wonderful holiday in Lanzarote , hope Mr SA doesn't have to many pesters .
    CC1 £111/£3840
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Apr 18, 8:57 PM
    • 1,890 Posts
    • 11,622 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hope the sore throat clears up quickly, and that you have a lovely holiday.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 15th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 15,233 Posts
    • 50,644 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Have a marvellous holiday and I hope the sore throat has disappeared.
    Upon your return I shall have a plastic heron and improved cooking skills!

xxxx
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Apr 18, 7:19 PM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 40,313 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    In other news - I've got an interview for a job on promotion, one that is right up my street. The interviews are actually being held when I'm on holiday but I contacted them and they are happy to do my interview when I come back which is really encouraging. Plus they're only interviewing 3 people and there are 2 vacancies. I've finally got through a sift - scored 5/6 for my lead competency Happy days

Of course Mr SA isn't exactly pleased about it but I don't care.

Came out of a meeting today to find 4 missed calls from him, rang back and it was to tell me he wants to go into town the day before we go on holiday to buy some jogging bottoms to travel in. [Rolls eyes heavenwards]

Bought a rug and a doormat from Homesense £20 for both so happy with that and 2 more bits ticked off the list.

Got loads to do at work tomorrow, hoping to finish early but really need to get a few bits done first - will need to be a 7am start that's for sure.
    Debt £2240
    Weight loss 2/6LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 18, 7:43 PM
    • 56,278 Posts
    • 227,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hurrah
    Good things come to those who wait xx

***Keep plodding***
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 16th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 4,861 Posts
    • 16,757 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Great news about the job interview, I have my fingers and toes crossed for you. Have a great holiday.xx
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    Long term savings was £10,000 now £5000/borrowed £5000 for new kitchen which I MUST pay back. £5000/£0
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 40,313 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks all

Someone at work who's an experienced interviewer is going to give me a mock interview the day before the real one. I haven't had an interview for 18 years so am very apprehensive.

I've put in another job application on promotion just in case.

Anyway no more work talk because I've broke up for holiday - finally

Didn't finish early like I wanted to though.

Got a discount on the airport lounge so have booked it - Mr SA will be able to indulge in unlimited coffee.

Still got to pack but I know what I'm taking so no stress.
    Debt £2240
    Weight loss 2/6LBS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,489Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin