Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 5,722Posts
    • 37,409Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Things can only get better
    • 27th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    Things can only get better 27th Jan 18 at 9:50 PM
    Unbelievably my very long running diary of 5 years seems to have been deleted Not happy about this to say the least

Not sure what to do about it. Need my diary to keep me sane and on track.

Had to swiftly come up with a new title, had been meaning to start a new diary but not this way.

Anyway, in brief for those who don't know, my life changed drastically 5 years ago when my OH got Lymphoma in his brain, nearly lost his life but miraculously survived, although he has permanent brain damage and is disabled. So we lost his wage and I'm now the sole breadwinner. At its highest debt was around £5k but paid off thankfully.

I try to keep as normal a life as I can.

Still really angry my old diary has gone
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £250.33
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
Page 19
    • Hillwalker11
    • By Hillwalker11 11th Mar 18, 1:12 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Hillwalker11
    I hardly ever post but I always follow your diary and am in complete awe of how you handle things. Utmost admiration for all you have to deal with on a daily basis and your very wry sense of humour. I think what is so difficult is that you have no choice, somehow you have to keep ploughing onwards with what life has dealt you with very little help and support. Only you know what it is like and anybody else in your position. My son is a neurosurgeon and he says with brain surgery/injury sometimes the bittersweet part of the whole process is saving the life but sending home a very different person to the one who came in. That patient is healed but for the family it is a whole new beginning with very little respite.
    You obviously have a very positive outlook and your holiday planning and days out with friends help towards this, but the load you are carrying is a heavy one and unfortunately is not going to get much lighter. A weekend away somewhere periodically would be a massive boost with either a friend of even alone just to recharge your batteries. People are amazed with how you cope but as someone once said to me 'who cares for the carer?' A sobering thought. However your humour with Mr.SA and his needs, walking poles, canvas shoes etc. shows how well you do manage him and I am sure although you don't realise it you are a huge inspiration to many, many, people. Keep your relaxing bath times with wine and magazines and make sure you have a very sturdy lock on the door so you cannot be interrupted! Never ever feel bad about how you think you are doing. You are one amazing lady, never forget that.x
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Mar 18, 2:37 PM
    • 5,722 Posts
    • 37,409 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thank you Hillwalker, that's an amazing post I found myself nodding when I read what your son said, he's hit the nail right on the head (pardon the pun!). You've made me feel a lot more positive.

Today has been ok so far. Mr SA is still creeping and has thankfully gone for his nap now so I can have a bit of peace.

We took the dog on the park this morning and the council have cut a tree that fell during the snow into logs so Mr SA brought a couple back on his scooter. He's made one into a bird table, not sure what idea he's had but he's planning to bring back one a day.

I need to do the meal plan, make my soup and make a lentil loaf from a recipe I got from Redofromstart's diary. Now I'm back at goal my points have gone up but ideally I'd like to lose another 3lbs before holiday.

Today should be a NSD and tomorrow the new budgets start with Mr SA's money and DD's board arriving. Yet again I'll attempt to stick to plan. I'm determined to keep a tally of what I spend, I start off ok then forget to do it.

Next week I must sort out a quote for the dining room/hall floor. The place that came out over 6 months ago never got back with a quote so will probably try a bigger company. I know it won't be cheap as the floor needs boarding out first.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mums out there
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 18, 3:05 PM
    • 53,939 Posts
    • 213,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    As I have said before I am so full of admiration.
    I really am.
    Sending bug hugs to you xxx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 11th Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    • 6,164 Posts
    • 22,548 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Happy Mothers Day SA xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 11th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    • 4,119 Posts
    • 28,033 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy mother's day SA. I'm sorry about the job but keep on applying and your turn will come.

to Mr SA wanting to go back to roofing and falling in the pond.

Have a lovely day .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £560.59/Emergency Fund 2 = £0.21/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 11th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 649 Posts
    • 7,230 Thanks
    117pauline
    Hi SunAddict

You do such an amazing job with the situation you are in. I am pretty sure most of us wouldn't be able to cope as well as you.

I hope you manage to find something more to support you. Would you be able to access some respite care to support you if you spoke to your doctor. I hope I am not out of line suggesting this but I am concerned this might not be sustainable longer term if you have to manage all this alone.

I have unbounded admiration of the way you approach your life.

Take care honey, have a great week
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 11th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 10,768 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    SA you make me smile when I read the things Mr SA does and your sense of humour with it all. I am sure life is difficult sometimes , and as others have said you do an amazing job.
    CC1 £3655 April 2018.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 11th Mar 18, 5:57 PM
    • 8,793 Posts
    • 51,393 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Excellent post Hillwalker .

Happy Mother’s Day SA Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 26/60
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • WelshSaver
    • By WelshSaver 12th Mar 18, 12:13 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    WelshSaver
    SA, happy mothers day for yesterday.

Like everyone else I have such admiration for you and don't think I could cope as well as you do. Look after yourself and try to get a night or a weekend away if you can
    Total Debt Jan 2018 = £5240/£4785.51
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Mar 18, 7:44 PM
    • 5,722 Posts
    • 37,409 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Well that's Monday done.

Today has been a good day at work - got a small bonus of £100, will have to pay tax and NIC on it, but will be in March pay This is for helping organise a large event. Not told Mr SA as he'll think half is his.

On the Mr SA front, the worst thing DWP could've done was write to him and tell him he's got a £4 a week rise. It's highlighted to him how much he gets a week which he thinks should be his to spend. I soon put him straight by reminding him by the time he paid his share towards bills, food, beer, clothes and holidays he would be looking at a minus figure.

He's been better behaved since Saturday thankfully.

What a miserable day weather wise, it's rained here most of today.

Today has been a NSD but not an AFD as have some wine left over from the weekend. Went to the gym at lunchtime.

New budgets have started today and remain intact for now, tomorrow is another day.

Made my favourite butternut squash, chickpea and lime soup for work lunches. The lentil loaf I made yesterday was very tasty and have plenty left to freeze. Tonight I was on a use it up mission and made a Thai red curry from a kit I bought from Aldi ages ago which has made 2 portions, will have the rest tomorrow. Also used up the last pack of greens rice, won't be buying that again, it was ok but I wasn't keen, prefer the cauli rice.
    Last edited by Sun Addict; 12-03-2018 at 7:49 PM.
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 53,939 Posts
    • 213,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the bonus

Dident know there was a greens rice!

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 5,722 Posts
    • 37,409 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    The greens rice tastes a bit like seaweed to be honest, as much as I love my greens.
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    • 53,939 Posts
    • 213,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    The greens rice tastes a bit like seaweed to be honest, as much as I love my greens.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Definatly off the list then

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 12th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,702 Posts
    • 7,940 Thanks
    milann
    What a week or so you've had. You must miss the 'old' Mr S. I take my hat off to you. Do you still get your 'me' days when Mr S thinks you're working....if you don't - could you start them again.

The job news was rubbish - but there's something better with your name on.

The soup sounds tasty. I need to make more soup.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 1,534 Posts
    • 13,209 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Sorry I'm just catching up. I do have the grass and I do have a dog. I LOVE I can clean it. I feel much happier letting the smalls out to play etc knowing its 'clean' despite having a dog etc. Mine isn't the most expensive, and I fitted it myself. I find myself sweeping it almost daily and its so easy to clean with a hose etc.

Crossed posts Fay - I would hope so. I think Wannabefree has artificial grass and a dog, maybe she will clarify.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    As for other goings on with Mr SA I don't think you ever get over the feeling of how much things have changed. You'll always 'miss' the bits of Mr SA you don't see now that you saw before. However even though when times feel awful and he's drove you insane there will still be bits now and memories after his illness that will be happy and positive. I probably don't make sense now I've wrote it down. I know in my situation its DD but many say I don't know how you cope etc and I feel like saying well I don't have a choice But remember you matter too! and it's okay to feel down and sad about it

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 53,939 Posts
    • 213,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well said WannabeFree

***Keep plodding***
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    So well put, W

On a lighter note, that sounds an interesting soup and I have a lot of chickpeas at the moment... off to google.
    MFW #30 Paid off £1,622.77/£3770 as of 4/5/18
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 5,722 Posts
    • 37,409 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    It's a Weightwatchers recipe Cherry and is absolutely gorgeous. I tend to live on soup for lunch during the week all year round and have made tonnes over the years, but I think this one is my favourite.

Had the other half of the Thai curry tonight.

Beautiful sunny day here today and lovely to see the daffodils out. Not looking forward to the return of the cold this weekend.

Thank you WF, I know you understand xx
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Mar 18, 10:15 PM
    • 1,912 Posts
    • 11,752 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Pleased to hear Mr SA is still on his best behaviour and that you put him right about the bills!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    [CONOR=red]MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 36!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    [/COLOR]
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    • 5,722 Posts
    • 37,409 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    And that's another week nearly done, where does the time go?

Been manic at work again, not stopped all week. Had my end of year review and my manager has given me an exceed marking, which means I'll get a one off bonus type payment, not sure how much, it won't be a large amount but very welcome indeed

Mr SA's scooter is in for service and they've left him with a much better one until it's back. Of course he now wants a new one, not sure how long he's tied into the Motability contract, but he wants a new one and he wants it now.

Desperately need to do finances, been keeping receipts for grocery spends this week but need to tot up. I'm expecting a shock as have bought loads this week but nothing unnecessary apart from the caravan shaped bird box I got from Lidl today
    Debt £2500
    May NSDs AFDs
    Weight loss 7/10LBS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

21Posts Today

3,659Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin