Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 5,832Posts
    • 38,535Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Things can only get better
    • 27th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    Things can only get better 27th Jan 18 at 9:50 PM
    Unbelievably my very long running diary of 5 years seems to have been deleted Not happy about this to say the least

Not sure what to do about it. Need my diary to keep me sane and on track.

Had to swiftly come up with a new title, had been meaning to start a new diary but not this way.

Anyway, in brief for those who don't know, my life changed drastically 5 years ago when my OH got Lymphoma in his brain, nearly lost his life but miraculously survived, although he has permanent brain damage and is disabled. So we lost his wage and I'm now the sole breadwinner. At its highest debt was around £5k but paid off thankfully.

I try to keep as normal a life as I can.

Still really angry my old diary has gone
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
Page 16
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 3rd Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,535 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    DS and family now installed in their new home We'll go and see them when they've settled in.

I was just going up for a bath an hour ago when Mr SA informed me he wanted a G&T when I got out. Got out of the bath all nice and warm and relaxed to hear him shouting don't forget my G&T! My patience is being tested big time, he's close to wearing the bloomin' G&T!

Keep forgetting to mention - DD's fella seems to have disappeared and there was no Valentine's card this year. She's also been keeping a very low profile for the past couple of weeks. Guess that's all hopes of her moving out dashed.
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 9,613 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oh dear. I think you've earned that gin! I set off a shop alarm recently and it took two assistants and me walking through the door multiple times to work out what was wrong - I had a suitcase which I was carrying at arm's length and some keys in the front pocket were much nearer the trigger mechanism than normal. I've had it happen elsewhere too - click and collect often sets it off at Mr A.
    MFW #30 Paid off £1,622.77/£3770 as of 4/5/18
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,599 Thanks
    beanielou
    Bit drastic to waste good gin
    Not that I blame you
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 3rd Mar 18, 8:28 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 32,044 Thanks
    maddiemay
    My first thought was save the gin and whack him with the bottle, oops not very charitable am I?
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,240 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Oh dear about the gin SA! Perhaps it wasn’t meant to be - perhaps try lemon vodka!

Good news on DS’s new home - you all must be so pleased that they’re settled. What a shame though about DD’s fella. Perhaps he’ll pop up again. I hope she’s not feeling too low.

Agree about not wasting the gin by pouring it over Mr SA’s head!

Not that long now though till Lanzarote!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,535 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    6 weeks on Thursday to Lanzarote I am SO ready for a holiday.

Last night before going to bed at 10.30 I switched everything off, made sure the cat was in and loaded the dishwasher. So annoyed to hear DD cooking shortly afterwards. Got up this morning to find the cat had been out all night (DD must've let her out) and a food encrusted baking tray on top of the hob. My patience is wearing very thin with her at the moment.

On the plus side, the snow has almost gone. Of course this means everywhere is sodden, especially as it's been raining. It's really grey and misty here too.

Have filled in the pension form to take the winding up sum. Have told Mr SA it's a bit less than it is because he's already started on about a petrol lawnmower again. Honestly our grass isn't worth spending money on a decent lawnmower, it's been ruined by the dog weeing on it and Mr SA shuffling on it. Ideally I'd like to replace it but not sure what with at the moment.

Just got to do the meal plan and clean the bathroom then the chores are done. Gave the kitchen a good clean this morning after noticing all the stains on the cupboard doors when I had my reading glasses on - mainly cat paw prints and coffee drips.

Got another job to apply for next week, not heard anything back from the other job but not sure when they were doing the sift. Also meeting a friend on Friday who retired to the Yorkshire coast, looking forward to catching up with her.
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,599 Thanks
    beanielou
    Poor cat
    6 weeks will hopefully fly in

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 12,240 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Have you thought of perhaps in investing in an artificial lawn SA. I've not had personal experience of one but I've heard very good reports - I remember someone posted on another diary that they were really pleased with theirs - and they had a dog. Sorry can't remember where the post was. Perhaps you could google?

Enjoy your evening bath and relaxation.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • fay66
    • By fay66 4th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 2,056 Thanks
    fay66
    Can you rinse dog poo off it sorry I have dogs but wondered about it
    Inland revenue £4500=
    Loan £1562
    Pay day loans -1400 1st pay 16 march £50
    Credit card 1 -4850/4850 int froze
    CC2 -978
    CC3 - 500/548 cc4 180/200
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,535 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I have thought about artificial grass SSG, we have such a big garden I suspect it may be rather expensive. Worth looking into though.

Made spicy carrot and lentil soup for work lunches and butternut squash risotto for tonight and tomorrow night.

Spoke to DS tonight and they're really happy with their new house. The grandkids have settled in their new bedrooms a treat. It's so lovely to see him settled with his little family, I wish DD was settled like him, I despair of her.

Took the dog out earlier and all the snow has gone plus it's so much warmer than it was a couple of days ago.

Beanie - the cat sleeps on Mr SA's scooter under the cover if she ever gets left out all night
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,535 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Crossed posts Fay - I would hope so. I think Wannabefree has artificial grass and a dog, maybe she will clarify.
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,599 Thanks
    beanielou
    So what are your plans for your lovely windfall?

***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 10,729 Thanks
    redofromstart
    the cat sleeps on Mr SA's scooter under the cover if she ever gets left out all night
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Clever cat Mine open the greenhouse and sleep in there. I gave up and put some old pillows at the end of the potting bench in the end..
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Mar 18, 8:43 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,535 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Not sure when it will arrive but it's earmarked for finishing the dining room then hopefully the garden/outside of the house. Need the house repointing at some stage plus a new back gate as Mr SA has rammed his scooter into it and wrecked it. The list is endless.
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Mar 18, 8:44 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,535 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    My cat used to sleep in the greenhouse when we had one, it was her favourite place.
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Mar 18, 8:49 PM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,599 Thanks
    beanielou
    My cat just likes being inside

***Keep plodding***
    • MatyMoo
    • By MatyMoo 4th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 2,846 Posts
    • 13,170 Thanks
    MatyMoo
    Can you rinse dog poo off it sorry I have dogs but wondered about it
    Originally posted by fay66
    I had artificial grass in my last house. As long as it is well laid, with a good sub base, wee should just filter through. poo just lifts off (my two are raw fed so we rarely have sloppy poo) but you can always hose it down.

Once I have worked out what I need to spend on our current home anything left over will be spent on a new artificial lawn for here. With two, shortly to be three dogs, it really helps to reduce the muddy paw prints, the need for additional baths and saves my sanity!
    Proud Member of Mike's Mob
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,535 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks for that MatyMoo
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    • milann
    • By milann 5th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 8,074 Thanks
    milann
    I have artificial grass - it's only a small lawn and cost about £500 last year - there where cheaper grasses but this one feels lovely - he put all the base and sand down and He did a great job - we don't have a dog though so can't help with that.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 5th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    • 5,832 Posts
    • 38,535 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    That's Monday done.

Yesterday was NSD 1/12, grocery spends today of £5.57 in Mr S plus a small Mr M delivery £37.90 after staff discount - mainly for Mr SA's beer as he was worried he was running out, so added a few more bits to make up the £40 minimum spend. Have booked another delivery for Friday trying to keep to £40. So have already spent half the grocery budget but shouldn't need anything else until Friday.

Tonight's dinner was the other half of the butternut squash risotto with a huge portion of salad using up what's left from the weekend.

It was a lovely Spring-like day today, felt so much warmer than last week thank goodness.
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

760Posts Today

6,147Users online

Martin's Twitter