Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 27th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 7,013Posts
    • 50,774Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Things can only get better
    • 27th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    Things can only get better 27th Jan 18 at 8:50 PM
    Unbelievably my very long running diary of 5 years seems to have been deleted Not happy about this to say the least

Not sure what to do about it. Need my diary to keep me sane and on track.

Had to swiftly come up with a new title, had been meaning to start a new diary but not this way.

Anyway, in brief for those who don't know, my life changed drastically 5 years ago when my OH got Lymphoma in his brain, nearly lost his life but miraculously survived, although he has permanent brain damage and is disabled. So we lost his wage and I'm now the sole breadwinner. At its highest debt was around 5k but paid off thankfully.

I try to keep as normal a life as I can.

Still really angry my old diary has gone
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 201.59
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    Emergency Fund 3260/10,000
Page 119
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Apr 19, 7:18 AM
    • 7,013 Posts
    • 50,774 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Happy Sunday

Thanks to the dog and cat I've been up since 6am. Got loads done so far, have put a colour on my hair, done the finances and ordered my euros online to collect tomorrow. Mr SA has given me 20 to change into euros "just in case he sees something", I've emptied my holiday handbag fund jar and have 60 to change, we've got about 80 left over from the last trip to Lanzarote, so all good there.

Budget pots all ok at the end of week 1. Doing an Aldi shop this morning - I always say I don't want much then end up spending more than I planned.

VSP 201.59 - ideally I'd like this to be at 250 by the end of the 4 week budget period
    Debt 0
    Emergency fund 3260 - more to be added on payday. First target is get it back to the 4000 it was last year before the vet bill and freezer.

I've thought of a few changes I'm making:

1. Work at home one day at least once a fortnight.

2. Finish work no later than 3pm on Fridays.

3. Once a month have a Monday where I start work later and go and have a coffee first - I used to do this regularly and it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

4. Try and spend as little as possible for the first 3 weeks of the budget period and on the weekend before the new budget starts have a treat weekend where Mr SA gets his going into town fix - coffee, lunch out and whatever is top of his pester list that month.

5. I will have a secret shopping day once a month, around payday. I'm going to try and not buy things I need until then unless desperate. I can make a nice day of it, have coffee, potter round the shops, pick up the things I need - separate from the Mr SA shopping day.

Next on today's list is do the meal plan right up until we go on holiday.

Have a good one folks
    Last edited by Sun Addict; 14-04-2019 at 7:21 AM.
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 14th Apr 19, 8:20 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 2,677 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget
    That sounds like a good plan SA especially the time for you.
    Have you ever thought of getting the Halifax Clarity Card
    You get your currency out from ATM and spend on it whilst on holiday and dont pay commission on it
    I always bring back 150 to start me off on the next holiday then use my card whilst there and pay it off as soon as I come home
    Always a good rate as well.
    • Hopefuljoy
    • By Hopefuljoy 14th Apr 19, 11:45 AM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,127 Thanks
    Hopefuljoy
    Amen to time for yourself! You do so much SA and it's good to recharge on our own sometimes. I really like your list of goals, especially as they put work back in its proper place.

It looks like you're all set for a super holiday as well!
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund 4000, Penny a day ***, mortgage overpayment this month ***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Apr 19, 12:12 PM
    • 62,561 Posts
    • 270,613 Thanks
    beanielou
    Loving your changes
    Happy Sunday xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Apr 19, 7:40 PM
    • 7,013 Posts
    • 50,774 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks Debs worth a thought I'm with the Halifax anyway. I usually get my currency from M&S as I have a card that I only ever use in there. Got a decent deal this time if I click and collect.

A tad concerned as usually a work friend updates me on Saturday with what's happening with work friend in coma. She usually gets a text from the friend's hubby then lets me now. Not heard anything ....

Been productive today, discovered I had 47 in Clubcard vouchers so renewed 2 magazine subscriptions Also got DGS's birthday present - wooden car park, he likes lining cars up and this will be ideal, got 25% off plus free delivery and went through Quidco

Meal plan done using up what I already have in stock

4 more work get ups
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 15th Apr 19, 8:12 AM
    • 9,636 Posts
    • 60,154 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    All caught up!! You have been a busy bee this week. Hope your short working week flies over Xx
    Debts @ LBM 23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 0

Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • milann
    • By milann 15th Apr 19, 11:21 AM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 12,961 Thanks
    milann
    I like the new plan. You really need that time for yourself.
    Have a great holiday.
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 15th Apr 19, 1:01 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 4,391 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Have a great holiday. Hope its gloriously sunny all the time

I agree about getting a Clarity card, I use it for all non sterling spends and for taking out cash whilst away.

new plan sounds good..especially about not commuting every day
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2019 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [ 31% Feb 54% March ] 2019 Income Goal 71/750 April Goals: AFDs 4/25 Decluttering 04/60; LSDs x/10; NSDs x/10 Exercise in April RT 10k, 3/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 16th Apr 19, 7:21 PM
    • 6,399 Posts
    • 24,583 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Loving your new aims SA!! Enjoy your holiday too xx
    Mummytogirls x

23164.32 - 12/12/10
    5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Apr 19, 7:33 PM
    • 7,013 Posts
    • 50,774 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    That's Monday and Tuesday done

The good news is work friend is back in the UK, they're slowly bringing her round, but it will be a very long haul. She'll be in intensive care for a few weeks, then on a ward, she'll be in hospital a long time but things are sounding a lot better than they were.

The bad news is Mr SA's blood tests have come back not good It's his liver. The GP rang him today, he's got muddled up with what she said so I don't know the full story but some liver levels (of what??) are high and the GP is referring him to hospital No idea what's going to happen next but hopefully nothing before holiday. Honestly nothing runs smoothly for long, I get so sick of it.

On a positive note have found Mr SA exactly the sandals he wants in Mr S with 25% off. He loves them and hasn't taken them off since he tried them on. However, he's reminded me he still needs sunglasses so not got out of the town visit next Monday.
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 16th Apr 19, 7:51 PM
    • 9,636 Posts
    • 60,154 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Great news about work friend being back in UK. Fingers crossed she shows signs of improvement quickly.

Not so good re Mr SAs bloods. Hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about Xx
    Debts @ LBM 23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 0

Best win so far - holiday to Florida
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 19, 7:54 PM
    • 62,561 Posts
    • 270,613 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news about work friend being back in UK. Fingers crossed she shows signs of improvement quickly.

Not so good re Mr SAs bloods. Hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    This from me too xx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 16th Apr 19, 8:05 PM
    • 15,547 Posts
    • 52,889 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    I hope obviously it is nothing serious with the liver. Very glad to read about your friend tho.

How long till holiday now?

XXX
    Sealed Pot 12 - 008, 365, 1p a day, 1%, 100 days, Saving to be out of debt!
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Apr 19, 8:12 PM
    • 7,013 Posts
    • 50,774 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    We'll be there this time next week Buffy I've been nagging him for ages about him drinking too much beer so will be cross if it's alcohol related damage.

Forgot to say there was an accident in town on Friday. I passed a shop which had been cordoned off, ambulances and security guards around it. I heard yesterday a woman had fallen and died on the scene in there, just awful
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Apr 19, 8:23 PM
    • 8,816 Posts
    • 68,486 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy Sunday

Thanks to the dog and cat I've been up since 6am. Got loads done so far, have put a colour on my hair, done the finances and ordered my euros online to collect tomorrow. Mr SA has given me 20 to change into euros "just in case he sees something", I've emptied my holiday handbag fund jar and have 60 to change, we've got about 80 left over from the last trip to Lanzarote, so all good there.

Budget pots all ok at the end of week 1. Doing an Aldi shop this morning - I always say I don't want much then end up spending more than I planned.

VSP 201.59 - ideally I'd like this to be at 250 by the end of the 4 week budget period
    Debt 0
    Emergency fund 3260 - more to be added on payday. First target is get it back to the 4000 it was last year before the vet bill and freezer.

I've thought of a few changes I'm making:

1. Work at home one day at least once a fortnight.

2. Finish work no later than 3pm on Fridays.

3. Once a month have a Monday where I start work later and go and have a coffee first - I used to do this regularly and it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

4. Try and spend as little as possible for the first 3 weeks of the budget period and on the weekend before the new budget starts have a treat weekend where Mr SA gets his going into town fix - coffee, lunch out and whatever is top of his pester list that month.

5. I will have a secret shopping day once a month, around payday. I'm going to try and not buy things I need until then unless desperate. I can make a nice day of it, have coffee, potter round the shops, pick up the things I need - separate from the Mr SA shopping day.

Next on today's list is do the meal plan right up until we go on holiday.

Have a good one folks
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    I love your new plans SA, they sound excellent ideas to improve the quality of your life .

I hope Mr SA's liver is okay.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = 58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = 4,005. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = 1,505.
    Goal - buy 50 worth of Premium Bonds per month = 0
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Apr 19, 6:23 PM
    • 7,013 Posts
    • 50,774 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    The doctor rang Mr SA today and he's been referred back to his consultant as he's concerned the Lymphoma is back. He's got to go for another blood test tomorrow then to hospital when we get back from holiday. To be honest he's got all the symptoms - tiredness, he's had a sore throat for weeks, itchy skin, flu-like feeling, night sweats, he's ticked all the boxes

Fingers crossed it's something else but not looking great at the moment

It was Easter when he got ill 6 years ago, unbelievable

The doctor didn't say he couldn't go on holiday, we'll deal with whatever it is when we get back.
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Apr 19, 6:44 PM
    • 62,561 Posts
    • 270,613 Thanks
    beanielou
    The doctor rang Mr SA today and he's been referred back to his consultant as he's concerned the Lymphoma is back. He's got to go for another blood test tomorrow then to hospital when we get back from holiday. To be honest he's got all the symptoms - tiredness, he's had a sore throat for weeks, itchy skin, flu-like feeling, night sweats, he's ticked all the boxes

Fingers crossed it's something else but not looking great at the moment

It was Easter when he got ill 6 years ago, unbelievable

The doctor didn't say he couldn't go on holiday, we'll deal with whatever it is when we get back.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    So very sorry to read this my friend.
    At least the Dr dident say not to go on holiday & as you say you can deal with whatever it is once you are back xxx

REmember to look after you too xxx

***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 17th Apr 19, 6:51 PM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 14,851 Thanks
    redofromstart
    So sorry to read this SA.
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 17th Apr 19, 6:51 PM
    • 5,061 Posts
    • 18,314 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Oh SA i'm so sorry to hear about your OH.

Go on holiday and try to have a relaxing break,you are a super strong lady and cope with so much but don't forget to take care of yourself.

xx
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 17th Apr 19, 7:02 PM
    • 15,547 Posts
    • 52,889 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Really Sorry SA.

I hope you enjoy the holiday. Big love to you my friend XXX
    Sealed Pot 12 - 008, 365, 1p a day, 1%, 100 days, Saving to be out of debt!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,386Posts Today

4,258Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin