Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LHC1962
    • By LHC1962 26th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LHC1962
    CRB advice if possible
    • 26th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    CRB advice if possible 26th Jan 18 at 7:47 PM
    Hello, if anyone can give advice or input it would be appreciated.

Someone I know is very well educated with a good degree, and had a great job. A few months into their new job this person was given a custodial sentence for GBH. This person knows there is no excuse for what they did and served their time for their sudden and out of character lack of self control.

This person lost their job and their home because of this situation.

This person is now struggling to get a job and cannot even get to interview stage for many of the applications. This person does not fall into the usual criminal category - if that can be said - and will never offend again and is extremely unlikely to ever go back to prison. This person feels they have served their time, done their sentence but the punishment seems to last for the rest of their lives. This person fully accepts that we need to protect the vulnerable, but feels that the system for some, would be more likely to make them re-offend out of sheer need for survival when they can't find work for much of their lives.

This person wonders what would be likely to happen if they changed their name - or at least, reverted back to their birth name. This persons birth certificate shows a different surname. This person began using their step parents name when they were very young. Technically they feel they are not changing their name but reverting back to their original name.

If this person was to revert back to their original birth surname as shown in their birth certificate, would they be able to avoid immediate detection on any back ground check.

This person thanks you for your time.
Page 2
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 28th Jan 18, 6:07 AM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    Why doesn't the person apply for jobs not requiring a dbs check. This may not be in the same job he was in before but that happens when you commit a crime. If needing a dbs that indicates working with children or vulnerable people - they may never be able to get a job requiring dbs again but that doesn't mean they cannot go and get a job. I hear timpsons give ex offenders a chance. There are other companies who also work with offenders. May be worth looking at what they can do rather than focussing on what they can't
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 28th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    • 3,420 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    marlot
    ... This person knows there is no excuse for what they did and served their time for their sudden and out of character lack of self control...
    Originally posted by LHC1962
    Vulnerable people can (without meaning to) wind up the people who care for them.

It seems unfair to both 'you' and the vulnerable person to put the two of you together.
    • Troll Stoppers
    • By Troll Stoppers 7th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Troll Stoppers
    Hi

I've been out of work for many years as I can't find the job I'm looking for or the hours to suit me. Or it is too far away as I don't drive. Another hurdle I had to face until a few years ago was my CRB now DBS check. No excuse for it but when I was in my very early 20's another girl stole my BF and I was so angry that I put brick through her car window when it was parked in the pub carpark, silly me did not know there was CCTV in that area, go caught, charged, local court and fine.

Good news re DBS, if you have only committed one crime and fined only or jailed less than ?? many years and this was so long ago, you do not have to declare. BUT please cHECK DBS site for info Now I do not have to declare my fit of rage which I regret.

Having said that I know of a friend that works as a traffic warden, she stole from shops as a teeenager now about 50 years old, married couple of times and as honest as the next person - she never declares her past which is wrong, but she worries sick every year as she has to complete a new DBS

Best not to lie as a lie is a lie.

Like I said if it's the one mistake and not one of those massive mistakes, check the DBS site out and update, thanks

here is the link

[sorry wont allow me to post - google DBS and go to a government site
    Last edited by Troll Stoppers; 07-02-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added link
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    Hi

I've been out of work for many years as I can't find the job I'm looking for or the hours to suit me. Or it is too far away as I don't drive. Another hurdle I had to face until a few years ago was my CRB now DBS check. No excuse for it but when I was in my very early 20's another girl stole my BF and I was so angry that I put brick through her car window when it was parked in the pub carpark, silly me did not know there was CCTV in that area, go caught, charged, local court and fine.

Good news re DBS, if you have only committed one crime and fined only or jailed less than ?? many years and this was so long ago, you do not have to declare. - that's not true. BUT please cHECK DBS site for info Now I do not have to declare my fit of rage which I regret. - If you are fined, the conviction is spent after 12 months. For prison, if more than 4 years, it is never spent.

Having said that I know of a friend that works as a traffic warden, she stole from shops as a teeenager now about 50 years old, married couple of times and as honest as the next person - she never declares her past which is wrong, but she worries sick every year as she has to complete a new DBS - Well unless she's asked about spent convictions she wont need to.

Best not to lie as a lie is a lie.

Like I said if it's the one mistake and not one of those massive mistakes, check the DBS site out and update, thanks

here is the link

[sorry wont allow me to post - google DBS and go to a government site
    Originally posted by Troll Stoppers

I'm unclear what the point of this was. But just FYI:

Some DBS checks always show ALL past convictions, some only show unspent convictions.
    • Troll Stoppers
    • By Troll Stoppers 7th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Troll Stoppers
    Point is that new rules meant that someone with one conviction does not have to mention it is my usnerstanding.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Feb 18, 4:47 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    Point is that new rules meant that someone with one conviction does not have to mention it is my usnerstanding.
    That's not true. It never has been true. and it never will be true.

One conviction for murder would be quite important.....
    • Troll Stoppers
    • By Troll Stoppers 7th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Troll Stoppers
    Well, read my earlier post mate and that is what I said, ie check the prison sentence (i think if you have served less than 2/3 years). I can't keep on repeating everything.
    Last edited by Troll Stoppers; 07-02-2018 at 6:04 PM.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    Well, read my earlier post mate and that is what I said. I can't keep on repeating everything.
    It was factually incorrect and still is.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 7th Feb 18, 6:14 PM
    • 3,420 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    marlot
    There are things which can be filtered out of a DBS check (even an enhanced DBS).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-filtering-guidance/dbs-filtering-guide

This states that a certificate must include the following:
    • cautions relating to an offence from a list agreed by Parliament (see below)
    • cautions given less than 6 years ago (where individual 18 or over at the time of caution)
    • cautions given less than 2 years ago (where individual under 18 at the time of caution)
    • convictions relating to an offence from a prescribed list (see below)
    • where the individual has more than one conviction offence all convictions will be included on the certificate (no conviction will be filtered)
    • convictions that resulted in a custodial sentence (regardless of whether served)
    • convictions which did not result in a custodial sentence, given less than 11 years ago (where individual 18 or over at the time of conviction)
    • convictions which did not result in a custodial sentence, given less than 5.5 years ago (where individual under 18 at the time of conviction)
    • marlot
    • By marlot 7th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 3,420 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    marlot
    One conviction for murder would be quite important.....
    Originally posted by Comms69
    A conviction for murder would be likely to result in a prison sentence, so will be on the DBS.

Even if there wasn't a prison sentence, the offence is likely to be on the list of offences that are always shown on DBS. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-list-of-offences-that-will-never-be-filtered-from-a-criminal-record-check
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 7th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    There must be advise available at the Job Centre for people like you.

I do know there are quite a few companies that will not ask you or even still employee you (depending on severity of offence). Sadly you are looking at the low end of the scale, gig economy or factory jobs.

I'm not sure the big companies with the big pay will touch you but I'd seek further advise on that there maybe still a way in.
    • christaitfife
    • By christaitfife 23rd Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    christaitfife
    It is estimated that one third of UK males have a criminal record - so your friend isn't the only one in this situation. Time will make things easier in terms of disclosure etc. He should make every effort not to reoffend/ commit another offence - this will make everything so much more difficult (so no fraud!).

Check out unlock.org.uk - a UK charity for people in this very situation. Encourage your friend to give them a call. As helpful as everyone on here is trying to be I would strongly suggest going to people who can give proper advice.

I have worked in HR and a criminal record has never been a pre-requisite for instant refusal. It does, however, make things more challenging. He really needs to be able to demonstrate changes he has made. So voluntary work (although many will require a DBS check), education, family life etc.

I wish him the best of luck!
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 24th Feb 18, 8:52 AM
    • 8,339 Posts
    • 6,160 Thanks
    pmduk
    My last employer would recruit people with a criminal record however the recruit had to be upfront about it i.e. Discuss it before the DBS came back and it could not involve fraud. Each case was decided on its merits.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 24th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 1,049 Thanks
    Sncjw
    Was the names changed by deed poll when he was younger. You post as if he was referred as the other surname and you say wants to revert back to original
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 24th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thank you for taking the time to reply, all.
    This person knows they have most probably ruined their young life and their future through one mistake. ‘There but for the grace’ and all that. This person also hoped to somehow limit the damage. Obviously this person does not want to re offend in any way - hence this post asking for advice. For some people who are quick to judge....This person has not committed fraud, and has served their time and been punished for their actions. This person is not a monster - this person made a mistake. All this person wanted through this post was an answer, which they have now got.

Thank you all for your time.
    Originally posted by LHC1962
    I don't suppose they did their victim's life, young or otherwise, any good, either. "There but for the grace"! Are you real? The last time I hit someone I was seven years old in a junior school playground, ffs! Imho, anyone who commits GBH except in self-defence, is a monster. If I gave in to my basest desires, there would be a trail of dead bodies behind me. Guess what; there is not.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

348Posts Today

4,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin