Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 26th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,754Posts
    • 18,563Thanks
    Courgette
    Courgette resets her sights
    • 26th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    Courgette resets her sights 26th Jan 18 at 6:35 PM
    After a rather extended mfw hiatus, I think it's about time I re-sorted myself out and get back on track!

DS3 goes to school in September and I've had a lovely few years being a SAHM with a bit of self-employed work chucked in. Our household income is very low though and I need to really start addressing at least my part of this. We've also just had a pretty massive extension done, and although I am beyond delighted with it, it has gone over budget. We now find ourselves in the excellent position of having run out of money before the new kitchen has run out of bills

So the initial focus of this diary will be to earn and save the money we need to complete the kitchen. It's currently knocked through, plastered and the electric points have been put in but not wired up/made live.

We've got about £600 left of the building budget which will go on the underfloor heating then we need to crack on and earn more money so we can buy the flooring and pay the electricians.

Time to crack on!
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off
    Mortgage 1: £95,000 £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
Page 8
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Aug 18, 6:28 PM
    • 57,364 Posts
    • 234,775 Thanks
    beanielou
    Our library sends reminders when our books are due back~~luckily or I can check my account on line which I also use for reservations or renewals.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 8th Aug 18, 7:05 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 18,563 Thanks
    Courgette
    I think ours do too. Problem is each of us has a card and only one is set up for reminders plus it goes to my email account that had 9000 unread in it so it's easy to miss. Easy to solve just need to do it
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 9th Aug 18, 10:32 AM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 18,563 Thanks
    Courgette
    Whoop! Just had an interview for another online school. Got it and it's got a starting salary of $24. Will need to wait to see how many classes they can actually offer me though before I make any decisions regarding my current, lower paying job. Nice start to the day though!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 57,364 Posts
    • 234,775 Thanks
    beanielou
    That's good news
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Iona_Penny
    • By Iona_Penny 29th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    • 690 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Iona_Penny
    Itís a very long time since I posted on here although I still read diaries. Courgette I remember your old diary and admiring how you managed your life (especially when you had DS 3 and rude people!) I was so pleased to find your new diary. I hope the posts have stopped as you are on holiday and that is all? Come back soon x
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 1st Sep 18, 10:47 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 18,563 Thanks
    Courgette
    Hello, yes been on holiday! Thanks for posting Iona - I'm struggling to remember who the rude people were though! Shows I've obviously moved on .

Had such a great time away, will be having many more holidays and experiences from now on! And it certainly gives a lovely thing to focus all the frugality on.

Unfortunately we're now completely skint and all the easily accessible savings accounts have been plundered. We've got everything except food covered until the end of September but obviously we will need to eat at some point. It was a sort of conscious decision to run out of money so it's no surprise. What I mean by this is that I was absolutely desperate to go on holiday, DH less so due to how up against it we are financially right now. I didn't want to put it off any longer and was/am prepared to sail very close to the wind financially until invoices start being paid again in October and November. No regrets but it's a very unusual situation for me to find myself in!

Anyway, holiday really focused my mind, as these things tend to do. We want to spend more quality time together. We have had one weekend without the children since we had them and that does put a strain on the relationship. While we were away as well as spending loads of lovely time together we also ate great quality food and we both felt so much healthier as a result. We are prepared to increase our food bill for this feeling to continue. We have also had a decent chat about money and about how we organise it. It feels all rather academic at the moment but once we actually have some money we are looking at a totally different way of managing it. I'll explain more in a couple of days.

Anyway, today is September 1st and I always consider this to be New Year's Day (far too long in education clearly!)

My New Year's resolutions are as follows:

Health:
    Be able to do 10 pull-ups
    Be able to run 10 km
    - Both of these things without feeling like I'm gonna drop dead afterwards

Wealth:
    Income up to £500 a week every week minimum by Christmas. This will include DH's job, my job and eBay shop
    Have organised our banking

Family:
    Tuesday day time dates for me and him while small people at school
    More structured activities - these boys needs tiring out! Possibly park run, swimming lessons, football lessons, cycling
    Would like DS3 to be able to confidently ride a bike and swim by next Easter

Home:
    Bit vague but needs to be cosy, welcoming and clean and tidy. It's none of these things right now!
    Start making bread again - German bread was so delicious and didn't make you feel grim however much you ate (trust me on this!)

It's the start of birthday season in our house now so lots of expenses there too. DS3 is totally paid for, just his party to do tomorrow but DS2 and me are not at all. I'll have to have a good think of things I'd like that are nice but very cheap. I'd like an apple tree for the garden and some herbs but doubt this is the time of year for that. I also need a new rucksack as the zip has gone on mine and I don't think these things are particularly repairable. Will have a think
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 1st Sep 18, 11:00 PM
    • 6,466 Posts
    • 44,975 Thanks
    newgirly
    Hi courgette, glad to hear you had a nice holiday and I can't wait to hear your new ways of managing your money, hopefully I can steal some ideas
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 £40k/£13,632 paid so far

Mortgage £36,193 3yrs 9 mths left. Total owed £47,059 plan to clear in 12 months
    • zcrat41
    • By zcrat41 2nd Sep 18, 6:53 AM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 4,133 Thanks
    zcrat41
    Hello. I like you're idea of treating September as the new year! I'm aiming for 10K by xmas too.

Good luck.
    Aim: To o/p the mortgage by £131 pm.
    07/18: £254. Smashed it!
    08/18: £219.31 Smashed it again!
    09/18: £131 Acheived challenge
    10/18 £Target £131 plus £50 into savings
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 2nd Sep 18, 8:40 AM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 18,563 Thanks
    Courgette
    I ran a 10k race in July zcrat but felt pretty ropey for quite a few days afterwards. That plus the heatwave and holidays means that I haven't actually run at all since then. Will start this up again next week I think
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 2nd Sep 18, 9:34 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 18,563 Thanks
    Courgette
    Totally gorgeous party for DS3 this afternoon. Picked a natural location rather than hire anything or, shudder, host at home. Cost about £30 including bus fare. Totally great day!
    • Brodiebobs
    • By Brodiebobs 5th Sep 18, 2:09 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 3,320 Thanks
    Brodiebobs
    found you!

Subscribed and will catch up.
    Addicted to MSE.
    Overpaying mortgage for a better debt free life!
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 5th Sep 18, 5:50 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 18,563 Thanks
    Courgette
    Hi BB! My witterings are fascinating, you're in for a good time!

Was hoping to be posting that the kitchen is finished.....but it isn't! Waaaaaahhhhh!!!!

We do have a totally gorgeous undermount ceramic sink all fitted and plumbed in though. It's just stunning! Really lifts the whole room and after almost 3 months without running water downstairs I can't stop turning the tap on and off! Simple things, eh!

The joiner also 'offered' to do the tiling for us too (obviously not for free!) Am very tempted to go for this because even though we can do it ourselves we won't have time realistically until November and I think I'd just rather have it all finished now. No one can say I haven't been patient with this kitchen!

He's also said there's no rush to pay the invoice which is good considering our current cash flow issue and austerity measures.

DS3 starts school tomorrow. I think we're all very ready for this, I certainly am. New kitchen, new era!
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 11th Sep 18, 11:41 AM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 18,563 Thanks
    Courgette
    All the children now at school - whoop! DS3 has taken to it like a duck to water, DS2 still having wobbles though as he finds transitions and change very difficult.

Money situation is improving slightly - we are on track to be able to pay our mortgage at the end of the month which is a relief but we still have a long way to go to get back on an even keel.

After my big wobble about spending before the summer I've got a bit more spendy and my usual defence of extreme frugality has crumbled because, well, I've been spending! We really couldn't afford the holiday but I am so glad we went because it's really stopped us looking so inward I guess. I've been thinking more about the children too and I've realised that, despite my training, I really want to have money to spend on them and the money I have spent has brought ME an awful lot of joy as well as them (who knew DS3 was as big a nail varnish fan as me!).

I'm struggling with DS2's birthday party though. Most kids in his class seem to have these big venue type parties, LazerZ0ne kind of thing. DS2 is also desperate to have this but I simply cannot bring myself to spend so much on so little. A two hour party is around £150 in most places and needs a minimum of 10 kids. In my opinion 10 kids is far too many plus the quality of the food is rubbish. That kind of money isn't a million miles away from a weekend in London or something else a bit longer-lasting. However, I'd like him to feel I guess equal amongst his peers. We may be reaching a compromise with bowling then home in a taxi for supermarket home cooked pizza but even that is looking around £60. The trouble is I think that the weather isn't that reliable for a park party - he had originally asked for a football game in the park with his friends which appeals to me from a financial sense but I'm not sure the British weather would cooperate. Plus, if I'm honest, I'm slightly scared of being responsible for a load of 7 and 8 year olds. Ho hum. Need to get organised on this one though.

Been very busy getting life up and running again now the kids are back at school and haven't been sleeping that well so feeling pretty tired. I completed my tax return though this week as part of my promise to myself to get more on top of things financially. It's a good job I did as the tax owed amount is higher than it has been so I'll need to budget for this (it's about £950). This is positive as it shows that income is starting to increase.

Right, jobs this week:

Health: actually do some exercise!

Wealth: continue to push eBBBay sales - we won't cover our essential bills at the end of the month without this

Also - find the checklist Martin has somewhere about cutting costs on outgoings. I know what I mean! ETA: I *think* this is it! https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/money-help/

Cosy home: continue sorting out the kitchen. Take some stuff to the charity shop
    Last edited by Courgette; 11-09-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 12th Sep 18, 11:43 AM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 18,563 Thanks
    Courgette
    Some money-saving things done today:

• Transferred ISA from CSD to Vanguard
    • We've both opened the new Help to Save accounts but no money to put in yet
    • moved gas/elec providers
    • added a bolt-on to our phone/broad band account so we don't get charged for evening calls. - DH has added £15 to this month's bill calling his Grandma! Disgraceful!
    • Been to Aldi rather than Sains

Some money-earning things done today:
    • booked a new student in for a one-off lesson
    • updated a listing - sold 3 £40 dresses off it because of my changes - whoop!
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 12th Sep 18, 2:39 PM
    • 11,236 Posts
    • 60,311 Thanks
    edinburgher
    Well done on switching the ISA - I was a fan of CSD in the past - but their fee increase was a joke. Vanguard are also introducing a SIPP from later this year (hopefully) - looking forward to using this as well.
    • Brodiebobs
    • By Brodiebobs 12th Sep 18, 5:06 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 3,320 Thanks
    Brodiebobs
    Will have to look into the Vanguard switch...

Parties are a nightmare, my DS has got to 10 before requesting one, which is in a week as we usually do at home. He went to a place with a child he barely knows at school which was £22 per child and they invited the class. Madness.

Weve got away with a church hall type skate do, providing own food and music for about £120.. still redic though!
    Addicted to MSE.
    Overpaying mortgage for a better debt free life!
    • jodles16
    • By jodles16 12th Sep 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1,369 Posts
    • 4,141 Thanks
    jodles16
    Hi Courgette!

Lovely to 'see' you back! I think finding the balance is a never ending task, but it sounds like pushing your way to the edge with the holiday has shown you that even when there is nothing left you have survived and even had a great time! Amazing results for DS1!

I have started to not always say yes or no straight away, I will say let me get back to you, that way you can weigh everything up including cost/enjoyment factors before making a decision.

I also have several imaginary pots, including holidays, as I think it is so important to enjoy things on the journey! Also, something I like to remind myself, is what would I say to a friend in the same situation, you would never be hard on them like yourself, so treat yourself like a friend!

Jodles
    MFW2017 #29 1200.24/4524
    MFiT #66
    Overall aim 10,124.20/21,743 (£156,000)
    2016- Jan-£177,472, Apr-£173,195.04, July- £171,417.47 Oct- 169,366
    2017- Jan- 167,347.80 Apr- July- Oct-

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,545Posts Today

5,941Users online

Martin's Twitter