Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 26th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 1,732Posts
    • 18,352Thanks
    Courgette
    Courgette resets her sights
    • 26th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    Courgette resets her sights 26th Jan 18 at 6:35 PM
    After a rather extended mfw hiatus, I think it's about time I re-sorted myself out and get back on track!

DS3 goes to school in September and I've had a lovely few years being a SAHM with a bit of self-employed work chucked in. Our household income is very low though and I need to really start addressing at least my part of this. We've also just had a pretty massive extension done, and although I am beyond delighted with it, it has gone over budget. We now find ourselves in the excellent position of having run out of money before the new kitchen has run out of bills

So the initial focus of this diary will be to earn and save the money we need to complete the kitchen. It's currently knocked through, plastered and the electric points have been put in but not wired up/made live.

We've got about 600 left of the building budget which will go on the underfloor heating then we need to crack on and earn more money so we can buy the flooring and pay the electricians.

Time to crack on!
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off
    Mortgage 1: 95,000 78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): 83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): 3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
Page 6
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 12th Apr 18, 10:32 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Courgette
    Attempted a conversation with DH last night about all of this. He was a bit dismissive to be honest. Probably just tired.

Have done the sums for my tax return. It's extremely sobering. Before expenses, I earned 8400 from tuition last year and of this I paid 6000 into our joint account for my share of the bills. This is the lowest it's ever been except for the first year and I don't quite know how on earth I've allowed this to happen and how I didn't even realise it was so low. I feel like I've really let us all down. It's no wonder I'm so flaming tight is it. My natural instinct right now is to cancel all fun for the rest of time, sit in the dark and eat lentils
    • museumworker
    • By museumworker 12th Apr 18, 10:57 AM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 12,255 Thanks
    museumworker
    Step away from the lentils - it's done! Don't punish yourself for past mistakes. Work out how you can keep a track of finances on a day to day basis so you're not left with any surprises. Can I suggest YNAB again?

Also, definitely do prioritise home and contents insurance as previous poster suggested, it's just in case money but unfortunately some people find themselves needing it.
    Mortgage 16/03/2011: 190K 01/01/2017: 107,729.65 01/07/2017: 95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = 45K 2017 OPs = 9250.20
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 12th Apr 18, 11:05 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Courgette
    Our finances are a complete mess. It's only extreme frugality that's keeping the show on the road. I actually feel sick. I so much wanted a holiday this year, what was I even thinking?????
    • slm6002
    • By slm6002 12th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 4,843 Thanks
    slm6002
    Hi I agree with the house insurance. There have been a few cases nearby where the house has burnt down and the family was left with nothing and then no way to build things back up again as they had no insurance.

I would hate this to happen to someone else - shop around and get a good deal and peace of mind 'just in case' something happens x
    Me,OH, DD 12, DS 10, DD 7
    DFW Nerd 1103 Debt Free 04/18
    • museumworker
    • By museumworker 12th Apr 18, 12:35 PM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 12,255 Thanks
    museumworker
    Our finances are a complete mess. It's only extreme frugality that's keeping the show on the road. I actually feel sick. I so much wanted a holiday this year, what was I even thinking?????
    Originally posted by Courgette
    Oh gosh, that doesn't sound good - would an SOA help? Deep breaths, you will work this out.
    Mortgage 16/03/2011: 190K 01/01/2017: 107,729.65 01/07/2017: 95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = 45K 2017 OPs = 9250.20
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 12th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    • 6,410 Posts
    • 44,362 Thanks
    newgirly
    Agree with MW, it might think help to do a SOA - whatever the situation there is always a solution
    MFW 21
    Target for 2018 40k/13,632 paid so far

Mortgage 36,193 3yrs 9 mths left. Total owed 47,059 plan to clear in 12 months
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 15th Apr 18, 10:58 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Courgette
    Well, here's what that, ahem, panic taught me:

1. I get absolute tunnel vision if I suspect any kind of financial scarcity
    2. I over-exagerrate
    3. I certainly do not need any enemies because I seem to be able to turn on the horrible negative messages to myself pretty easily.

Right. Now I've actually calmed down:
    - Last year I made a very conscious and discussed (with DH) decision to cut down on my tuition outside of schools hours in order to spend more time with the lads. I totally and utterly forgot about this when I saw that number.
    - My rental income has increased due to remortgaging the property onto a better deal. Also forgotten
    - eBay sales are continuing to climb. Turnover for the last financial year is going to be around 40,000, profit about 35%. Yep, also forgotten

When I said our finances were a mess, it sounded as though the wolf was about to come knocking at the door. It isn't. Far from it actually. We're doing completely fine. We have a nice work-life balance and everything is covered (except the insurance. I'm on it). What I (probably) meant in my moment of blind panic and catastrophising (is this a word?) was that our bank accounts aren't super tidy with this one being for this, and this one being for that. I'd like to sort this. There are also discrepancies in how much each of us contribute towards bills in the joint account which again needs to be looked at.

What I also learnt this week is that when I'm stressed I see the very worst of everything. My children with clothes full of holes? Actually, they're fine. No, they don't look like they've walked straight out of a Boden catalogue but they certainly don't look like urchins. Yes, some clothes are patched and some have seen better days but actually I have two very busy little lads who are not afraid to roll in the mud from time to time and I absolutely wouldn't have it any other way.

I also completely overlooked that I start my new tuition job this week. This is an extra 400 pm daytime, term time only. Perfect actually.

So next time I run in here like the world is gonna end, perhaps someone could suggest I just put the kettle on instead?

Seriously though, a shed-ton of mindset work to do. I don't want to gloss over anything because Thursday was awful and I really did feel that things were falling down around me and I was about to lose everything. The tension headache was awful. I was snappy with the children. I had a student that evening and I was so so anxious beforehand. He was a 13 year old boy FGS.

In other news, my phone has mysteriously started working again so I'm gonna hold out for now. When I upgrade it'll be a MotoG5. Currently have a G3 and the only thing wrong with it is the memory size. I'll keep my 9 contract.

I still plan on giving myself a set allowance for treats and also for tuition business development but the eagle-eyed among you will have noticed that I keep talking about this and haven't actually done it. Baby steps, okay?

Had such a lovely Easter break with the boys. Not entirely convinced I want them to go back to school tomorrow, waaaaahhh!

Jobs this half term:
    1. New website up and running
    2. ebook finished and published
    3. settle in and become great at new daytime job. Also find a way to use the bus journey productively
    4. train for C25K
    Last edited by Courgette; 16-04-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 15th Apr 18, 11:51 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 7,824 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I'm cheering you on from the sidelines, sounds like you have a plan, I wonder if someone could recommend a good podcast ormondfulness excercise to help you panic less about finances and to help you verbalise and plan what you want. I haven't got a clue, but I bet someone else does.

Hope School is ok tomorrow.
    Wish.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 16th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Courgette
    Thanks Wish By the way, I've been racking my brains for ages about your previous identity.... I remember 'today is not a NSD' so well!

Just had a bit of a bank account money shuffle because my wages from China are in.

As things stand I have 3 months personal living expenses saved, these are my contribution to our joint account, my S&S ISA funds (as in the money lined up for DDs) and mortgage payments for the rental. All looking a little depleted which is understandable due to everything I've spent on the kitchen. I'd like these back up to 5 months by the end of the summer (nice and gentle, see).

I'm also going to give myself 100 to spend from this point onwards until the end of the half term. I know months are more traditional but I think this will work for me as some of my invoicing is done on a halt-termly basis.

Speaking of which, I have around 450 in outstanding invoices to chase. One was unpaid from November that I only noticed on Thursday. You can imagine the telling off I gave myself for not spotting it at the time. I would not allow anyone else to speak to me like that, so why do I do it to myself??

I don't have anywhere special to put my 100 spending money so I'll keep a note of it on here.

Oh, museumworker, the book I've been reading is You Are a Bad'Bottom' at Making Money. It got quite repetitive and waffly towards the end but I like the way there are a lot of exercises directly related to changing money mindset in it. Also, re YNAB. I hear you and I can see why people use it. I'm concerned I'd use it to tie myself up in even more knots than I already do which is why I'm reluctant. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jobs this half term:
    1. New website up and running
    2. ebook finished and published
    3. settle in and become great at new daytime job. Also find a way to use the bus journey productively. lessons for first week planned. Will download an audio book onto my kindle to listen to on bus
    4. train for C25K
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 16th Apr 18, 6:08 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 7,824 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Hi Courgette, yes, that was my previous diary, I couldn't sort the log in details out for that one so I started again last summer. Quite near the beginning of this diary I did an update of my life now compared to then. I'm really pleased with the progress I've made since then, student loan paid off etc. Just need to kick this mortgage into touch now.

I am just about to be paid for some work I did in September, so you may absolutely forgive yourself for not following up work from November.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1600ish/2,500
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 18, 7:06 PM
    • 56,278 Posts
    • 227,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you are giving yourself spending money.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 21st Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Courgette
    Hi all,

I've started my new job now. School is ace, job is ace, kids are ace, commute is awful I'm using the time well listening to an audio book about money mindset and enjoying having that time to think and process stuff. However, it does feel like a big chunk out of the day and makes me feel somewhat guilty. With a car the commute wouldn't be anything like so long but then I also wouldn't be earning anything!

A load of invoices have come in this week - have been paid over 1000 this financial year already which is great.

We've also decided on our kitchen and put the deposit down. We still need 3000 to finish the job but we have a few more weeks to bring this in. I only managed to knock 200 off the price they quoted but it was already over 1000 cheaper than iKkeaa so that still counts as a win in my book.

The boys want to camp in the garden tonight so need to dig out the tent etc so we can actually do this!

Spent 2.99 of my 100 half term allowance (half term being the school half term, ie 6 weeks)

Jobs this half term:
    1. New website up and running need to chase this. A friend of mine is foing this (will also be paid once she quotes for it) but it's taking so long I might need to get someone else to do this
    2. ebook finished and published nope. Still around the 5000 word mark. Not done any of this for a couple of weeks
    3. settle in and become great at new daytime job. Also find a way to use the bus journey productively. lessons for first week planned. Will download an audio book onto my kindle to listen to on bus Met all my classes, no alarm bells ringing with any of it, looks to be a very straightforward job. Been listening to an audio book on the bus
    4. train for C25K ran a whole 1.3km in 11 minutes. Was painful
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Apr 18, 8:09 PM
    • 56,278 Posts
    • 227,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that job is good apart from commute.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 22nd Apr 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Courgette
    Sigh. Just lost a big post. Must remember to refresh before posting on my phone
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 23rd Apr 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Courgette
    Morning all,

Had a lovely weekend with the family. We camped in the garden on Saturday night and DS2 said, as he was falling asleep, that he was so happy he could cry A massive storm passed right overhead not long after the boys had fallen asleep which was extremely dramatic and I'm delighted to report that the tent is entirely waterproof! Yay!

Money mindset is continuing to percolate at the back of my brain and it's occurred to me that I have been saying no quite often in anticipation that things will cost money that I don't want to spend without even thinking it through. Camping in the garden is a good example of this. Only a few weeks ago I would automatically talked the boys out of it, not unkindly, but nevertheless it wouldn't have happened. It's a definite downside of extreme frugality, that if you allow it to it can really close you down.

I also realised this week that one thing I love to spend money on is fresh, good quality fruit and veg for the family. On my way home from the school last week I stopped off at Lidl and spent 25 on absolutely loads of fresh goodies. Yes, I know frozen raspberries are cheaper but seeing the boys put a raspberry on the end of each finger and eat them one at a time is just completely harmless fun and makes everyone - me included - very happy. I also bought myself two bunches of tulips as a change from daffs. More expensive than daffs (1.89 a bunch and I bought - shocker - two!) but they're so beautiful and really lift the room they're in so no regrets. I'm unsure whether to class them as personal spends or not though. I definitely bought them cos I wanted them but they're in the kitchen and in some small way making everyone's life a bit more lovely. Opinions? Overthinking?

The miles away school have asked me to work an additional hour this week which is great and exactly what I hoped would happen. Also realised that no one has taken my banking details so I've chased that one up.

Outstanding invoice was paid last week. Apparently when this happens, you can calmly, carefully check your receipts from the company then reissue the invoice with a note explaining it hasn't been paid. When, after a few days, the company send you payment, you can just transfer that to the correct account as normal and carry on with life. What you don't need to do is feel sick and lightheaded, send ranty texts to your husband, doubt yourself, check check and check again but in such an emotional state that you reach different numbers every time, attempt to convince yourself that you don't deserve that money even though you did the work, insult yourself mentally for several hours for missing an invoice before finally doing the first group of steps which takes you several tense hours because it's all such a huge deal. Just saying. Y'know, if anyone else fancied the second approach. Just me?

Very busy with work at the moment. Great because it obviously means more income but it has reminded me really that there's a limit to the number of hours I can spend each week directly speaking to other people. I used to think this was some weird weak freakery and obviously berated myself accordingly. What I have since realised as I've got older is that I'm just an introvert and I manage best when I have lots of time to recharge. This has reminded me how important it is for me to put some passive income in place. I've got rent from the BTL and also a tiny bit from my S&S ISA although I'm not using either of these for personal spends, they're there purely for long-term investment purposes. eBook writing seems to have ground to a halt. This week I will write 100 words a day. This is a tiny amount but will mean that my book will eventually get finished. It's exactly the same strategy I used when I wrote up my MA dissertation which I didn't think was ever gonna end.

Right, need to crack on. These are my only child-free hours of the week and I've got them until 1.00 when I need to set off on the nursery run. Just over 2.5 hours to play with:
    more coffee
    plan the week's lessons
    check banking
    100 words of my ebook and make sure I know what tomorrow's 100 will be about
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 23rd Apr 18, 10:51 AM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I think that I would be a mess (and a total !!!!!!!) if I was invoicing folk!

Camping in the garden sounds delightful I would love to do similar, but unfortunately the air in our neighbourhood was full of the sounds of loud music and youths who had perhaps had one two many shandies as they let off steam during the unexpected sunshine.

I'm with you on the fresh fruit versus frozen. DD can eat a full punnet of raspberries if you let her, although she is usually happy to eat frozen unless it's a fussy day.

I'd count flowers as a personal spend, sorry! I suspect that you may be deriving far more joy from them than anyone else if you're in a house full of boys....
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 23rd Apr 18, 12:09 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Courgette
    In that case Ed (and I think you're quite right) personal spend so far are 6.77.

Just written 600 words of my ebook. I blummin love writing I do! Had misremembered the current total so with what I've just done I'm now at around 5000 (some on computer, some by hand hence not knowing exact figure).

Banking attempted but TSB still offline, booooo
    • edinburgher
    • By edinburgher 23rd Apr 18, 12:41 PM
    • 11,190 Posts
    • 60,060 Thanks
    edinburgher
    I did think 100 words was setting the bar a little low! Well done you
    • Courgette
    • By Courgette 23rd Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Courgette
    Definitely very low but with the intention that I can always write this regardless of how pushed for time or knackered I am. Most days I will hopefully write a lot more but even if I do only manage 100 it's still 500 a week.

Just found out we have finally cleared the arrears for DS3's nursery lunches and paid in full until the end of summer. I've now taken that 15 pw we were paying and set up a weekly payment to the mortgage instead. I'm not sure what that takes our monthly OP to but it's probably around 100 which is something. I'm not sure the 15 will stay OPing longer term but for now it can tick over until we come up with another plan for it
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 23rd Apr 18, 6:21 PM
    • 56,278 Posts
    • 227,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    TSB have not come out of this well.

Glad the camping went well.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,463Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin