Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 26th Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    • 234Posts
    • 141Thanks
    wazza99
    Passport online renewal service, very impressed
    • 26th Jan 18, 6:11 PM
    Passport online renewal service, very impressed 26th Jan 18 at 6:11 PM
    As per the title used this to renew my passport, took my own photo, uploaded, sent old passport off, all done and dusted in a week, with almost daily updates. Great service highly recommended.
Page 1
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 27th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 3,710 Posts
    • 9,185 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 27th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 27th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    I found them to be good as well - renewed hubbys passport and managed to input & confirm the wrong dob.

A nice customer services lady told me what I need to do (after telling me off nicely as apparently hubby should be the one doing it!) & we still got the new passport a week later
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 27th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 11,313 Posts
    • 6,482 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 27th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 27th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    As per the title used this to renew my passport, took my own photo, uploaded, sent old passport off, all done and dusted in a week, with almost daily updates. Great service highly recommended.
    Originally posted by wazza99
    I don't recall being able to upload the pics, in fact what I remember of the service, was really that I printed off the forms myself, even after being careful to sign within the box on the form, I had to sign the PP when it arrived rather than the previous one where it was embedded .
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 27th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 7,382 Posts
    • 10,650 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 27th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 27th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    Uploading of pictures is fairly new.

I used the service late last year and like others only took a week, even allowing for the letter they sent on a point I phoned to clarify with them.
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 27th Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    wazza99
    • 27th Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    • 27th Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    All online now, brilliant system, just pop your old passport in an envelope and send in.
    • VALC123
    • By VALC123 2nd Feb 18, 4:14 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    VALC123
    • 2nd Feb 18, 4:14 PM
    • 2nd Feb 18, 4:14 PM
    Do you need to print anything off when you renew online to send in with your old passport? I do not have a printer so don't want to find out after I've completed the application and paid that I have problems
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 3rd Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 7,382 Posts
    • 10,650 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 3rd Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    • 3rd Feb 18, 3:17 PM
    As far as I recall, the address to send the old passport contains a short code which links it to online application.

So it can be handwritten onto envelope.
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 4th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    wazza99
    • 4th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    No, nothing to print at all.
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 4th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 676 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    kimplus8
    • 4th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    Thats great to hear, Im due to send mine off for renewal soon, I need it as ID. Im glad the online system is less hassle than paper renewals. Thanks for the feedback
    Dave Ramsey and Martin Lewis are my Money Saving Heros.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 4th Feb 18, 7:41 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 2,153 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Yes, we used it last week, it was easy and very simple. Hopefully, the photo will pass the manual check...it did pass the online check but you never know if the human eye will decide differently. Old passport sent off, so watch this space!
    • inkwat
    • By inkwat 5th Feb 18, 10:39 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    inkwat
    I found them to be quite fast but the instructions on changing your name were wrong! Apparently now they want evidence that you're using your new name but that wasn't anywhere on the forms which I found to be annoying because I called them twice before I submitted my documents.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 9th Feb 18, 11:24 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 2,153 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Just to report back. We found the service wonderful.

The day after the old passport was sent back we had a text to say it had been received and that the new one was processing. Then two days later that the new one was further down the system, then one saying it had been sent out. New passport was received the next day. So just a week from the upload of the picture to receipt of new passport.

Great service and very simple to use.
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 10th Feb 18, 6:00 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    owen_money
    I'm looking to do this soon, but ban you get your old passport back? Its just i have a few stamps in it and it reminds me of happier days
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 10th Feb 18, 6:23 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 2,153 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    I'm looking to do this soon, but ban you get your old passport back? Its just i have a few stamps in it and it reminds me of happier days
    Originally posted by owen_money
    Yes, it arrived back the day after the new passport.
    • Arthurian
    • By Arthurian 11th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 649 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    Arthurian
    I'm also impressed with the application process but beware the new passports themselves have a chip inside the cover which is more easily damaged than previously. Some traditional-style passport covers have press stud closures which might press on the chip and break it. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b088rxfk/rip-off-britain-holidays-series-5-episode-9 (at about 16 minutes in) tells how someone had to pay for a new passport after 4 years because the chip had broken. Maybe best to keep your passport inside a paperback book while travelling.
    • The Unready
    • By The Unready 5th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    The Unready
    Very impressed with the online service.

Submitted my application on Sunday 25th March using a photo taken with my mobile phone. All checks passed.

Sent the old passport back via RM 'Signed For' service the next day.

Regular email updates received from the passport office throughout.

New passport arrived today - taking into account the Easter break I make that 7 working days from start to finish!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

3,901Users online

Martin's Twitter