Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foursunsp
    • By foursunsp 25th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    foursunsp
    What rights do I have with my faulty extractor
    • 25th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    What rights do I have with my faulty extractor 25th Jan 18 at 12:38 PM
    Screwfix are refusing to deal with me and I wonder whether I have legal right to a replacement or not, on a faulty item with a guarantee. I explained to their customer services team, via email that, for (geographical) convenience, a plumber, on my instruction, bought an extractor fan for 74.99 from Screwfix in August 2016. I transferred money to him, as shown on my bank statement with his name and 'extractor' as a reference for 74.99. I have a copy of the invoice from Screwfix showing his purchase, a copy of my bank statement showing the transfer to him of funds and the faulty extractor, which has a burnt out circuit board and brown scorch mark on the outer casing. It has a 2 year guarantee so I am asking for a refund or replacement. Screwfix have stated that, due to Data Protection, they are unable to deal with me. They would need to speak to the original purchaser as their contract is with him and not me - unfortunately I don't have contact with the plumber who fitted it for me and I am now left with a broken extractor, which I bought as it had the two year guarantee. I have appealed to their common decency in order to try and resolve this, as I have all the proof I thought I needed, but have so far received 4 emails, from different representatives, saying they don't have to deal with me. If anyone can offer me advice this, I would be very grateful. Thanks.
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 25th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    • 10,028 Posts
    • 11,299 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 25th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    • 25th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    Screwfix are 100% correct.
    You did not make the purchase and as such there is no contract between you are them and they could well be breaking the DPA by discussing anything related to the transaction especially as they would have the address of the plumber and possibly some of the payment details they used.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer directly to enquire about a warranty claim?
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 25th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,422 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 25th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 25th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    Screwfix are correct. Your contract is with the plumber. It is the plumber that has a contract with the retailer.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 25th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 25th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    • 25th Jan 18, 12:54 PM
    Screwfix's customer service has always been spot on and really helpful whenever I have had cause to speak to them, but since you did not buy the item from them they are bang on the money not to talk to you. It's either back to your plumber or buy a new extractor.
    • bris
    • By bris 25th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 7,657 Posts
    • 6,662 Thanks
    bris
    • 25th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 25th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    Of course you transferred the money to him, it's how we work. We buy the goods at our discount and you then pay us.

This makes you our customer not the merchants.

The manufacturer will replace it for you so why haven't you been in touch with them yet?
    • zoob
    • By zoob 25th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    zoob
    • 25th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 25th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    Screwfix is a multichannel wholesaler retailer so your fitter bought the hood from screwfix acting as wholesale customer and then it was sold to you by the fitter acting as a retailer so your rights are with the fitter, so either use his reciept he give you for the job and go to the Cooker hood company and ask them to sort it or get your fitter to sort it for you as he!!!8217;s the retailer who!!!8217;s responsible
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 25th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 25th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    • 25th Jan 18, 4:00 PM
    Or just buy a replacement, which you find is faulty after a week. Return it with your receipt.
    Trouble is that would be fraud.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • foursunsp
    • By foursunsp 10th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    foursunsp
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    Extractor fan
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    Thanks for your all your replies, appreciate the information. Screwfix said that my warranty is invalid with the manufacturer too, as I am not the original purchaser, despite being able to prove I paid for it via the plumber. Lesson learned - always pay for the goods directly if you want guarantees to be honoured. Unfortunately, I cannot get hold of the original plumber, so looks like I will have to accept that I am not covered this time.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 10th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 3,032 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    Thanks for your all your replies, appreciate the information. Screwfix said that my warranty is invalid with the manufacturer too, as I am not the original purchaser, despite being able to prove I paid for it via the plumber. Lesson learned - always pay for the goods directly if you want guarantees to be honoured. Unfortunately, I cannot get hold of the original plumber, so looks like I will have to accept that I am not covered this time.
    Originally posted by foursunsp
    You might strike lucky with the manufacturer. I had a faulty thermostat control which had been purchased and installed by a tradesman about 2 years previously, I phoned Honeywell to explain it was faulty and they sent me a new one. Worth a try.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,954Posts Today

8,472Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin