Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • T9090H
    • By T9090H 25th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 11Thanks
    T9090H
    iPhone X deal
    • 25th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    iPhone X deal 25th Jan 18 at 11:45 AM
    Hi,

Existing customer with EE and just been offered this deal from retentions, is this good or not?

iPhone X 256GB
    £37.99 per month
    £229.99 upfront
    100GB data per month, unlimited calls and texts.
Page 2
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 25th Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Any iPhone X "deal" is not a deal..
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 25th Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 5,248 Posts
    • 4,445 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Do you have proof that they won't support it? I really doubt Apple would drop support so quickly, they have never done it on any of their previous iOS devices. They run their natural course over a number of years.
    Originally posted by Britnall7700
    Why would apples flagship phone be unsupported inside two years? Sorry but that comment is completely untrue, they still support the iPhone 6 Plus on the latest IOS.
    Originally posted by T9090H
    The announced a few days ago they were dropping it, as you say hasn!!!8217;t been done before that!!!8217;s why it!!!8217;s news
    • john22
    • By john22 25th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    john22
    The announced a few days ago they were dropping it, as you say hasnít been done before thatís why itís news
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Apple have said nothing.

You're listening to the rumour mill.

The phone will be supported no matter if its discontinued or kept around after the release of the new phones in September or October.

No one knows what their portfolio line up will be this Autumn.
    • macman
    • By macman 25th Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    • 41,894 Posts
    • 17,378 Thanks
    macman
    If you want one, it appears to be a competitive price in total. But don't kid yourself that you need one.
    You are correct in that Apple products do hold their value better than other brands, but that alone does not make it a good deal compared to your other options.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • d123
    • By d123 25th Jan 18, 6:19 PM
    • 7,219 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    The announced a few days ago they were dropping it, as you say hasnít been done before thatís why itís news
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    No, the rumours were that it would be discontinued in September, that doesnít mean it wonít be supported.

I donít think you quite understand the difference between the 2 terms.
    ====
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 26th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    20aday
    You don't say over how long - 24 months?

That would be £1141.75 - and the 256Gb X retails for £1149.

On the face of it, if you really want an iPhone X and need lots of data, calls and texts then it seems a good price.

A 256Gb X would be £47.88 if purchased outright and paid for equally over 24 months. Which wouldn't include airtime.
    Originally posted by Britnall7700
    EE use RPI to increase/decrease their tariffs every year so I wouldn't be surprised if the OP ends up paying close to the original handset price by the time he/she reaches his/her minimum term.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • cookie365
    • By cookie365 26th Jan 18, 3:35 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    cookie365
    It's a good deal if you're daft enough to value the phone at the preposterous sim only price.

You need to figure out your own value to you of the phone to decide if the whole package is worth it.

Looking at the rest of the market I'd value it at actually more along the lines of about £450.
    • T9090H
    • By T9090H 26th Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    T9090H
    Update:

Been offered the same plan for £32.9, think I should go with it?
    • Britnall7700
    • By Britnall7700 27th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Britnall7700
    The price is going down all the time

You'll always get people saying no it's not a good deal. What's it worth to you? Can you afford it?

Personally if I could get a sub-£30/month deal on an iPhone X I would probably take it. That would be about £20 a month on the phone cost - if the Mobile operator wants to pick up the bill for the rest i'm happy with that.
    • Peco141
    • By Peco141 12th Feb 18, 10:26 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Peco141
    Hi,

Existing customer with EE and just been offered this deal from retentions, is this good or not?

iPhone X 256GB
    £37.99 per month
    £229.99 upfront
    100GB data per month, unlimited calls and texts.

Iíve been trying to get a good retentionís deal from EE as well.

iPhone X 64GB
    £48 per month
    £170 upfront
    4GB data per month, unlimited calls and texts.

Ive rejected this because Iím looking for more than 4GB data. This deal you were offered seems unbelievably good. In fact no provider Iíve spoke to over the last couple of days can come close to the deal youíve mentioned in this thread.

What surprises me is folk on here donít seem to be amazed at you being quoted this deal!! Iím slightly perplexed!

Is it because the phone is being discontinued??
    • john22
    • By john22 12th Feb 18, 10:48 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    john22
    Iíve been trying to get a good retentionís deal from EE as well.

iPhone X 64GB
    £48 per month
    £170 upfront
    4GB data per month, unlimited calls and texts.

Ive rejected this because Iím looking for more than 4GB data. This deal you were offered seems unbelievably good. In fact no provider Iíve spoke to over the last couple of days can come close to the deal youíve mentioned in this thread.

What surprises me is folk on here donít seem to be amazed at you being quoted this deal!! Iím slightly perplexed!

Is it because the phone is being discontinued??
    Originally posted by Peco141
    I am a great believer in people spending their money on whatever they want as its their hard earn cash. However I will tell people when not to buy something when they have not really given a good reason why they want the device in the first place.

Right now I don't think you should part with any money on this phone because for whatever reason you think the rumour mill of the phone being discontinued is somehow a sign that there is something wrong with the phone.

That does not give me confidence that you know what you want and what you know of Apple products. It seems like your basing everything on the data and monthly payment plan and trying to get the phone cheaper just for the sake that its cheaper.

Maybe if you can give a reason or reasons why you want the phone then maybe I can reassure you regarding the phone as I have the iPhone X myself.

Also when you see rumours of phone being discontinued what exactly do you think that means?
    • Peco141
    • By Peco141 12th Feb 18, 11:25 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Peco141
    I wanted the iPhone X because its the latest and greatest. Ive gone from the 4s to the 5s to the 6s and Ive a little money now to treat myself.

I watched a number of reviews and I like the how premium the X looks. I like the idea of having face recognition, the camera also appears to be fantastic, the slightly larger screen but not (plus) size appeals. I think I wanted this particular phone because I was keen to stay with Apple and wanted to take advantage of the aforementioned features.

I do also however want to pay as little as possible for the phone and yes I also want a reasonable data bundle for my needs and have it as cheap as possible for the sake of saving money where entirely possible. I generally get a good deal from retentions at the end of each contract and try to keep it sub £35 per month. I know that that wasnt really feasible with the X but still wanted to get it sub £50 when most of not all are minimum £56 for my requirements.

When I read that there was an upgrade to the iPhone X due and that this particular version was being discontinued rather than Apple reducing the cost of it I started to question whether I should keep pushing for the best possible deal or hang fire until the new model is released.

My original query still stands though. The OP seems to have been offered an outstanding deal and no one has batted an eyelid..
    Last edited by Peco141; 12-02-2018 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • john22
    • By john22 12th Feb 18, 11:56 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    john22
    I wanted the iPhone X because it!!!8217;s the latest and greatest. I!!!8217;ve gone from the 4s to the 5s to the 6s and I!!!8217;ve a little money now to treat myself.

I!!!8217;ve watched a number of reviews and I like the how premium the X looks. I like the idea of having face recognition, the camera!!!8217;s also appear to be fantastic the slightly larger screen but not !!!8220;plus!!!8221; size appeals. I think I wanted this particular phone because I was keen to stay with Apple and wanted to take advantage of the aforementioned features.

I do also however want to pay as little as possible for the phone and yes I also want a reasonable data bundle for my needs and have it as cheap as possible for the sake of saving money where entirely possible. I generally get a good deal from retentions at the end of each contract and try to keep it sub £35 per month. I know that that wasn!!!8217;t really feasible with the X but still wanted to get it sub £50 when most of not all are minimum £56 for my requirements.

When I read that there was an upgrade to the iPhone X due and that this particular version was being discontinued rather than Apple reducing the cost of it I started to question whether I should keep pushing for the best possible deal or hang fire until the new model is released.

My original query still stands though. The OP seems to have been offered an outstanding deal and no one has batted an eyelid..
    Well I wouldn!!!8217;t say that as few posts have said it was a good deal. Maybe people are not really that interested, plus anything iPhone can get polarising

If you can get the phone and a data plan over two years that is the same price as walking into a Apple store and buying just the phone then of course it!!!8217;s a good deal. However it will never be a good deal for a person who keeps wanting the deal to get better and better. How long is a piece of string comes to mine!

As for the phone being discontinued, there is a chance that the phone will not stick around due to Apple not wanting the premium phones dropping under the £1000 price barrier which would happen with the iPhone X sticking around. Plus I!!!8217;m unsure what they will do with the old design as in will they make iPhone 8s or 9 which would cause price brackets to bunch up if the iPhone X stuck around.

I would also add that the rumour mill suggests that there will be 2 new iPhone X (no idea what the phone will be called and may just be the same name). One will be sized at the current phone and second phone will be bigger.

However nothing has been confirmed by Apple so really you have to decide if you want the iPhone X now or wait and see what they bring out in the fall.

I can!!!8217;t fault the iPhone X and you would not be disappointed in it but the longer you leave it then the more money you can save to put towards the latest device which is 8 months away.

Decisions, decisions
    Last edited by john22; 12-02-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    • Peco141
    • By Peco141 13th Feb 18, 12:37 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Peco141
    I get where you are coming from John. What I'm probably trying to say is that if EE offered me the 256GB phone for under £40 at any point today or over the last few days I would be sitting with the phone in my hand right now or at least waiting patiently for the courier to pop it through the letter box.

The retention's team simply couldn't get close to the offer the OP posted which has left me a little frustrated.
    • T9090H
    • By T9090H 16th Feb 18, 1:38 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    T9090H
    I get where you are coming from John. What I'm probably trying to say is that if EE offered me the 256GB phone for under £40 at any point today or over the last few days I would be sitting with the phone in my hand right now or at least waiting patiently for the courier to pop it through the letter box.

The retention's team simply couldn't get close to the offer the OP posted which has left me a little frustrated.
    How have you gotten on since Peco141?
    • overpricedcoffee
    • By overpricedcoffee 16th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    overpricedcoffee
    I would say that's a very good deal even if you do not need that amount of data etc it's still cheaper for the overall cost of ownership against buying one sim free from apple.

So yes in effect you are getting the tariff side for free which is an amazing deal.

Ignore everyone who goes on about rumours, apple would never drop their flagship phone from ios updates and support well not for the next 4 years or so.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 16th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Update:

Been offered the same plan for £32.9, think I should go with it?
    Having looked at your posting history, I wouldnt even consider spending that much on a phone if I still had money owed on those credit cards. Actually, personally I wouldnt ever consider spending that much on a phone debt or no debt.

There are plenty of decent phones out there way cheaper.
    • Peco141
    • By Peco141 16th Feb 18, 8:31 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Peco141
    How have you gotten on since Peco141?
    No change. Contract doesnít actually end until 10 March 2018. If neither EE or Vodaphone contact me over the next couple of weeks I think I will move to a GiffGaff Sim for £15 a month until the prices start to drop, at which point Iíll have a look at the 8 plus. The X or the Samsung Galaxy S8.
    • Iamzee
    • By Iamzee 17th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Iamzee
    I'm still on I phone 6s plus and I'm not complaining. If I am to upgrade it would be with a bigger storage for sure and yes, I agree with glentoran99 apple is ditching the x next year and they do that with every iphone every year too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

348Posts Today

4,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin