Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneysavingfamilycomp
    • By moneysavingfamilycomp 25th Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    • 589Posts
    • 1,824Thanks
    moneysavingfamilycomp
    small debts big impact
    • 25th Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    small debts big impact 25th Jan 18 at 9:43 AM
    Hi I'm biting the bullet and hoping I can get support from you lovely people to keep me on track. My debts are small in comparison to some but as my income is small to it makes a big impact on our life. I'm hoping to be debt free this year as its stressing me out.
    So here goes
    CC1 most debt consolidated on to this 0% card : 1075
    holiday balance needs to be paid by end may : 607.42
    CC2 emergency card not at 0% : 390

The CC2 was used to pay for a planned for purchase this month and I have the cash to pay it off in full so won't be charged interest and will be cleared in feb.

I have been following martin for years and trying to follow the advise but a few emergencys from august onwards has caused the debt. The problem with this is trying to save money is difficult as i'm already on the cheapest for most things.

I know people will say holiday is non essential in the circumstances but we have very few treats as a family unless they are free days out so we class it as essential for our wellbeing to have a week together as a family away from the stress of life. its uk based and we have got the best deal possible almost half the brochure price.
    thats the basics now what i'm doing about it !
    i find a cup of tea can solve most problems
    but alcohol solves them all
    first blue baby moneysaver 09/05/1993
    pink baby moneysaver born 30/07/2011
    blue baby moneysaver born 28/09/2012
    debt to pay : cc 1025 holiday : 557.42
Page 2
    • tessiesmummy
    • By tessiesmummy 11th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    tessiesmummy
    hello I'm new to the forums too!!! determined to get a mortgage sometime in the not so distant future so trying to straighten up my finances!!!

I am same as you and mumtofour.. I get tax credits on a Tuesday and wages on a Friday so budgeting monthly is hard. luckily I pay rent weekly. and just tend to struggle with the end of month week when car insurance and monthly bills go out.

how are you finding NSD? I could easily do it but dp and kids are having none of it. He has gone to aldi for lunch as i type which is an achievement because it would usually be a KFC at the weekend!

Good luck xxx
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789716 Debt Free Wannabe
    • moneysavingfamilycomp
    • By moneysavingfamilycomp 11th Feb 18, 5:23 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,824 Thanks
    moneysavingfamilycomp
    hi tessies mum welcome to the forums and thanks for reading my diary trying to control hubbys spends would be almost impossible lol but for us we keep our money split we each have our own accounts etc and each have a share of the bills. It means I have total control of my own budget. I do still try to stear him in the right direction but luckily he is not too extravagant It means when I have a NSD I only count what I spend.

Lidl sometimes do a version of KFC family bucket. i'm not sure what its like but might be an option for future if you dont want to feel like your missing out. might help convince your OH
    • tessiesmummy
    • By tessiesmummy 12th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    tessiesmummy
    Thankyou!!! spent all day yesterday reading lots of diaries lol. Think we all have similar challenges when we have kids and men to look after!

This week is half term so I am just waiting for somebody to come fix my front door then gonna go the park with the dog and kids. My eldest is 9 and thinks a day out should involve river island and hundreds of pounds!!! I dread having a teenager!

I like the idea of discounting his spending then because he is a shop addict. I pay all the bills and he does handyman jobs and gives me bits of spending money when he has work. It's not regular though. can go weeks without earning anything but it usually picks up around March fingers crossed!!

x
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789716 Debt Free Wannabe
    • moneysavingfamilycomp
    • By moneysavingfamilycomp 14th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,824 Thanks
    moneysavingfamilycomp
    Been missing a couple of days due to school holidays running around after little ones takes up lots of time

heres my update

family time
    monday my sister visited and we went to a play area she had heard about and then on to the nearest town for a wander finished off with the kids on the park. play area was free and we packed a picnic and took a flask. when we got to the town A very kind man gave us his parking ticket when he was leaving which saved us 3.20. we only needed to pay to park for 1 hr as it was late and parking was free after that but you had to buy a day ticket. I know people will say its wrong but I was very grateful.
    tuesday morning spent in the house then trip to the dentist. then quick dash to lidl. finished off making pancakes.
    wednesday In the house again today letting kids play and getting on with housework and their homework. then preparing tonights meal.

valentines managed to get the food for tonights 3 course meal including chocs for 7 although I did already have a couple of bits in. going to set the table like a posh restaurant and eat after the kids are in bed. we are having:
    drinks champagne (someone bought it for us ages ago and its still in wine rack I don't normally drink and DH didn't want to drink it on his own )
    starter mini sweet peppers stuffed with feta served on a bed of rocket
    main course steak with pepper sauce,chips,peas and mushrooms for DH
    chicken with pepper sauce,chips and peas for me (I dont like steak or mushrooms )
    desert homemade individual heart shaped chocolate fudge cakes and custard (need to make these this afternoon)
    refresher mini ice cream luxury chocolates (found these for 1 they look like luxury chocolates but are made from ice cream)
    to finish tea/coffee and chocolates
    I don't think it sounds too bad for for 3.50 each although admittedly the steak,chips, peas,champagne and ingredients for choc cakes I had in house.
    really looking forward to our night.

HAPPY VALENTINES EVERYONE
    Last edited by moneysavingfamilycomp; 14-02-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    • moneysavingfamilycomp
    • By moneysavingfamilycomp 15th Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,824 Thanks
    moneysavingfamilycomp
    todays update

last nights meal was lovely

today we are in the house again waiting for my delivery the kids are quite happy playing with their toys.

debt payments bit of a panic when I realised the new direct debit for CC hadn't come out and it was due today but after calling they have took payment over phone and said it will come out for next months statement. hope I dont get charges but if I do i'll fight them as I was told it would be sorted for this payment 25 now paid off it.

gas/elec had to ring company as they had increased my DD payment by 12 a month even though my account is 150 in credit made no sense at all to me but thankfully I have managed to get them to put it back to what it was.

money have put a little bit aside this month which I was going to pay off holiday as MOT is due next month hopefully it wont be too expensive and I can cover it without needing to use CC. 50 transferred into new account so that's spends till next thursday will need to pay kids after school club fees for next term then the rest will be for food.
    • moneysavingfamilycomp
    • By moneysavingfamilycomp 16th Feb 18, 11:32 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,824 Thanks
    moneysavingfamilycomp
    todays update

chinese new year. we are not chinese but I like my children to learn about other nationalities and their customs and celebrations. so tonight we will be having chinese food and they will each receive a red envelope with a coin in.

money I have just realised that because the direct debit for cc doesnt start till next month I will only have 1 direct debit coming out of new account which means I wont qualify for the 5 bonus. hopefully I can manage 20 debit card transactions and get the other 5 bonus for that.

income deliveries last night and today so I will have money to pay into bank on monday it should be about 80 but i'll work it out once I have all the money in. still trying to get swagbucks although to be honest I havent had a lot of time this week. I only need about 80 to get my 10 voucher

bills I need to sort out car insurance so will go through martin lewis plan of comparison sites and cashback to see if I can beat my renewal price and also check if its cheaper to add as a multi car to hubbys policy. also need to book in MOT. after the hassle with gas electric they have now paid the 150 credit into my bank account as a refund looks like my direct debit will go up next month now. at least its a little bit of emergency money to cover work on mot, if I dont need it (which I know I will ) any excess will go towards holiday.
    • moneysavingfamilycomp
    • By moneysavingfamilycomp 21st Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,824 Thanks
    moneysavingfamilycomp
    WOW what a month I ended up spending 6 days in hospital due to an infection and then the last 3 weeks recovering. still left with problems and having loads of tests but slowly recovering

as a result finances haven't been recorded so I need to start again.
    i'll list updates i know and then start keeping track.

income my sister and husband stepped in to deliver my orders but as i hadn't managed to get many brochures out I only made enough to cover costs. this time with their help i've managed to get brochures to all my customers so should make some profit when i deliver next week. getting round new streets will have to wait till i feel better.

car insurance did comparison sites/ cashback and found a quote 20 cheaper than renewal. rang own company to haggle and managed to get it down further with them (cheaper than last years) so very pleased with that.

credit card another 25 off total (minimum payment)

holiday nothing more payed off yet once mot is done on monday I will have a better idea of what i can pay this month.

thats it for now onwards and upwards a day at a time.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 53,979 Posts
    • 213,880 Thanks
    beanielou
    Take care.
    Sounds like you have been through the mill.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,092Posts Today

6,947Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin