Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • codger
    • By codger 24th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 1,570Posts
    • 2,607Thanks
    codger
    0 WOW
    Booking.com . . or Amoma??
    • 24th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    0 WOW
    Booking.com . . or Amoma?? 24th Jan 18 at 8:17 PM
    We've used booking com for years without a problem, but recently we read on the 'Net a recommendation to try the scalper Hotels Combined, which aggregates search results from a variety of accommodation brokers.

I'm looking at the results of a search for a hotel in the Algarve right now, and though booking.com figures in the list is by no means the cheapest (even including the so-called 'Genius' -- ho-ho -- 10% discount we get for being frequent bookers.)

Hotels Combined mentions three seemingly competitive websites to booking com: Amoma, Zen Hotels, and Hotelopia. None of 'em are headquartered in the UK but then, booking com isn't, either.

I've quickly scanned reviews of Hotelopia and they're pretty bad. Zen Hotels, based in Cyprus, might be better . . . but I'm very, very wary of anything that operates out of Cyprus: the island isn't exactly renowned for business integrity.

The most persuasive then seems to be Amoma (headquartered in Geneva.) Amoma's reviews, if they're anything to go by, are generally good. I therefore wondered:

Has anyone here used Amoma? If so, would they recommend it?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 24th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 1,806 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 24th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 24th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    I've used Amoma before and had no issues. I've also used Hotelopia a few times, again with no issues, although it was a few years ago - something tells me they were part of TUI at one point - they're now part of hotelbeds group which are a huge bedbank based in Spain.

Have you tried using Kayak and Trivago as well to compare prices?

Also, contact the hotel directly and see what they can do. If you book via an agency then they'll have a commission to pay, so often there is wriggle room by going direct, they may offer a better price, or upgraded room etc...
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 24th Jan 18, 11:47 PM
    • 5,585 Posts
    • 7,802 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 24th Jan 18, 11:47 PM
    • 24th Jan 18, 11:47 PM
    We've been using Booking.com for years without any problems, and until something goes wrong we'll continue with them.

I know what you mean about business integrity in Cyprus.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 25th Jan 18, 8:11 AM
    • 4,708 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    • 25th Jan 18, 8:11 AM
    • 25th Jan 18, 8:11 AM
    Loads of bad reviews of Amoma if you do a search
    travelover
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 25th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 37,536 Posts
    • 157,964 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 25th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    • 25th Jan 18, 8:42 AM
    I've used both without a problem.

Also nervous when I first used amoma, particularly as the hotel was half the price anyone else was showing, but it was fine.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 25th Jan 18, 8:45 AM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 1,806 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 25th Jan 18, 8:45 AM
    • 25th Jan 18, 8:45 AM
    Loads of bad reviews of Amoma if you do a search
    And booking.com

And just about every other travel provider.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 25th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 5,585 Posts
    • 7,802 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 25th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 25th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    And booking.com

And just about every other travel provider.
    Originally posted by bagand96
    As often as not the problem is due to the person booking not reading the property's full terms and conditions before pressing the BOOK button. Then they blame Booking.com [or whoever] for not being clear about the small print.
    • codger
    • By codger 25th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 2,607 Thanks
    codger
    • 25th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 25th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    Many thanks to everyone for responding so quickly: appreciated, and particularly the point about how all accommodation brokers will get critical reviews at some time or other. However:

Thanks to littlereddevil this morning, I've run a deeper search on Amoma as a result of which the risk of dealing with it looks, to me, like being a risk too high, as this T/A thread from 2015 (but still continuing on today) demonstrates:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12290-k8818470-o20-Amoma_is_a_pure_scam-Bargain_Travel.html

(That said, T/A also had a long running thread about don't-trust-booking.com.)

I guess it all comes down to personal experience. Mrs C and I have been booking com users since 2008 and in those 10 years we must've made over 100 bookings here and around the world. We've never had cause for complaint.

(We did use Late Rooms in the '90s but it never was much good with non-UK accommodation -- and to judge by its performance today is still absolutely useless: we need a hotel near Faro airport, but all LateRooms provides in its "Faro hotels" search results are accommodations of which almost none are anywhere near the town, let alone close to the airport.)

Anyway. Thanks again, everyone, for helping out in my money-saving quest. The HotelsCombined website recommended by someone on the Internet isn't a site we'll bother with again: it's just another metasearch compiler. Like PompeyPete, we'll play safe and stick with what we know,

PS: special thanks to bagand96 re the advice about booking direct. Yes: we do that using our IHG or Hilton loyalty cards (or IHG's 'Friends & Family'.) However, outside of that type of booking, our experience has been that unless the hotel is part of a major chain, it can't offer a better price, as is the case with the Algarve hotels I've been looking at.

PPS: Just to clarify: the accomm providers mentioned in my post offered rates between 5% and 15% less than booking.com. In actual cash terms, however, we're only talking about a relatively small Euro amount -- and as the biggest discount was by the Cyprus-based outfit, well . . .
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 25th Jan 18, 8:09 PM
    • 1,276 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 25th Jan 18, 8:09 PM
    • 25th Jan 18, 8:09 PM
    I recently saw a good rate on Amoma, I booked with hotels.com and asked them to price match - the difference was refunded straight back to my card. They're not UK-based either, but I've never had any issues with them.
    • codger
    • By codger 26th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    • 1,570 Posts
    • 2,607 Thanks
    codger
    Thanks for the heads-up, dj. Appreciated. We've never used hotels.com -- inertia to blame -- but have occasionally wondered whether or not to try it: its provenance is pretty good. Will now include it along with booking.com. Thanks again.
    • Flipflop1
    • By Flipflop1 8th Aug 18, 5:26 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Flipflop1
    Amoma experience
    Amoma warning!

I booked a triple room through Amoma for £97.
    They sent a confirmation which proved this.
    They then sent a voucher for a twin room.
    When I queried this, they told me I had made a mistake and asked me to pay an additional £44.
    I did this as I was in a rush to book and trusted them.
    On checking this later, I found their mistake and asked them to refund the over charge.
    We are now 40 emails into this discussion.
    I have provided the confirmation as evidence which they refuse to accept.
    Excuses so far:
    I contacted them and asked them to charge me more.
    The confirmation is fake.
    The confirmation is after the ‘modification of booking’ (even though it still says £97 for a triple room)
    All ridiculous and nonsensical excuses for wasting my time and trying to ware me down.
    I have asked for their complaints policy and procedure 15 times so far, this is being ignored.
    I now want to take them to the Small Claims Court and have asked for the contact person I would send this to.
    They have now stopped communicating!
    Please beware of Amoma. They are not based in the UK and sell on line. Both of these situations make it very difficult for anyone to seek remuneration.
    They clearly now this and it is clearly part of their business strategy. Good customer service IS NOT!!!
    If stung by them yourself, please contact Citizens Advice and ask them to refer your experience to Trading Standards in the hope that that can legislate against such shoddy business practices!
    On the other hand, I have used Booking.com an Hotels.com with great success!! Professional and courteous companies!
    Amoma are just not worth it!!
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 8th Aug 18, 5:47 PM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 14,354 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I always use Booking.com and have never had a problem with them. We actually got caught in a storm earlier this year and all transport in Germany and Holland was cancelled. They got us a hotel where we were stranded and the hotel in Berlin did not charge us for the first night we missed. I cannot recommend them highly enough for their customer service.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,229Posts Today

8,214Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin