Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • StoppedForSeconds
    • By StoppedForSeconds 22nd Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 25Thanks
    StoppedForSeconds
    PCN From Vehicle Control Services
    • 22nd Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    PCN From Vehicle Control Services 22nd Jan 18 at 8:17 PM
    Hello. Apologies if I'm not following forum etiquette by starting a thread, please do point me in the right direction if the information is here somewhere.

I was collected from John Lennon Airport, Liverpool by another person, driving a car of which I am the registered keeper. I was making my way out to the main road as I was unsure of a pick up point as I'd never used the airport before. However, the driver arrived early and encountered me whilst I was in an area where stopping is prohibited. I put the cases in the boot and myself and my Son got in the car. Going off the times on the photos my car was stationary for about 30 seconds.

So I've received a Parking Charge Notice (PCN) saying I need to pay 100 (60 if paid within 14 days.) The driver says they didn't notice any signs but to be honest they wouldn't have been looking for any and wouldn't see anything wrong in pulling over to pick me up on a quiet road. It was early Evening so at this time of year it was dark.

What is the next course of action to try to avoid paying this fine? The driver is all for paying the 60 and forgetting about it but I think it's at least worth asking if anyone knows of grounds to get out of it first.

So to summarise -

PCN NTK sent to me as registered keeper.

The driver is a named driver on the insurance policy and was driving the car.

Signs not noticed due to driver being in an unfamiliar place taking more care to try to spot myself and my Son walking in the dark than looking at road signs.

I have not taken any action yet other or responded to the PCN in any way.

Any offers of advice greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by StoppedForSeconds; 22-01-2018 at 8:28 PM.
Page 2
    • StoppedForSeconds
    • By StoppedForSeconds 9th Feb 18, 6:10 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    StoppedForSeconds
    Thanks very much for the reassurance Ralph-y.

Do you have a link to the fighting fund so I can contribute please?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Feb 18, 6:49 PM
    • 17,648 Posts
    • 27,902 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Go no further on this. See what other action (if any) they take. Have you also been reading of similar cases (more advanced than yours) on PePiPoo?

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=110024

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=116961
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • StoppedForSeconds
    • By StoppedForSeconds 9th Feb 18, 7:16 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    StoppedForSeconds
    Go no further on this. See what other action (if any) they take. Have you also been reading of similar cases (more advanced than yours) on PePiPoo?
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Thanks very much Umkomaas - reassuring to know they've never taken anyone to court to date!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 17,648 Posts
    • 27,902 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Thanks very much Umkomaas - reassuring to know they've never taken anyone to court to date!
    Originally posted by StoppedForSeconds
    Well, not directly at LJLA - they did win a 'stopping' case at the nearby International Business Park (I think that's what it's called), but nothing to concern yourself about at this stage. They've gone nowhere an actual airport case.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • TZR123
    • By TZR123 9th Feb 18, 8:04 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TZR123
    Well, not directly at LJLA - they did win a 'stopping' case at the nearby International Business Park (I think that's what it's called), but nothing to concern yourself about at this stage. They've gone nowhere an actual airport case.
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    Do you know of any train station cases involving VCS I could take a look at?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Feb 18, 8:07 PM
    • 17,648 Posts
    • 27,902 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Do you know of any train station cases involving VCS I could take a look at?
    Originally posted by TZR123
    Nope, sorry. AFAIAA, VCS don't 'do' train. stations! Why are you concerned about train stations if this is about LJLA?

• StoppedForSeconds
    • By StoppedForSeconds 18th Mar 18, 8:56 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    StoppedForSeconds
    Thread revival here...

I have a NOTICE OF INTENDED COURT PROCEEDINGS

I know I need to refer back to the FAQ sticky thread and go from there but I must admit I'm having a bit of a wobble and considering paying the 100 now to draw a line under it.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 18th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 57,564 Posts
    • 71,135 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Who from, BW Legal?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• StoppedForSeconds
    • By StoppedForSeconds 19th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    StoppedForSeconds
    Hello Coupon Mad

It's from Vehicle Control Services and is signed by a Mark Robinson, Debt & Litigation Manager

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 19th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    • 2,621 Posts
    • 3,286 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    can you post up a copy for us to see ?

you will need to host it some where like tinypic or dropbox .... then you may need to change the http bit in the link to hxxp

as CM mentions below it is probably a debt crawlers letter

Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph-y; 19-03-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    • 57,564 Posts
    • 71,135 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Here's an example where an OP replied to the same letter from VCS's sister firm, Excel:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73307615#post73307615

...and all he got was debt collector letters after that, so this letter is just part of that chain!
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• StoppedForSeconds
    • By StoppedForSeconds 20th Mar 18, 6:10 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    StoppedForSeconds
    Thank you both. So am I supposed to respond to this letter or not? And if not, and I do get letters, will I get bailiffs at my door from the Debt Collection Agency?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 20th Mar 18, 6:48 PM
    • 7,261 Posts
    • 6,782 Thanks
    KeithP
    ...will I get bailiffs at my door from the Debt Collection Agency?
    No, you will not.
    • StoppedForSeconds
    • By StoppedForSeconds 20th Mar 18, 6:50 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    StoppedForSeconds
    No, you will not.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Thanks Keith.

So is this something I need to respond to? I've found the Small Claims - Respond Robustly bit in the FAQ's thread but I'm unsure if this is where I'm at now?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 20th Mar 18, 6:54 PM
    • 17,648 Posts
    • 27,902 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Thank you both. So am I supposed to respond to this letter or not? And if not, and I do get letters, will I get bailiffs at my door from the Debt Collection Agency?
    Oh dear! Please do try to Google 'When can bailiffs be deployed?' It will assuage your concerns.

• StoppedForSeconds
    • By StoppedForSeconds 20th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    StoppedForSeconds
    Sorry if it was too obvious a question Umkomaas - as I've said earlier in the thread my head spins will all this information, the acronyms etc. I also find it very hard to pick out the bits that apply to my situation from the FAQ's thread so I apologise if I ask something that's already there but it's not from lack of trying to find the answer first. The phrase you suggest googling actually brings up a lot of ad's and newspaper stories, so whilst someone who is experienced in this area might be able to pick through the bones of it and find the information they need it only complicates things more for me.

I'm definitely out of my comfort zone here and feeling more and more out of my depth with each thing that happens so thank you to you and everyone else who has very kindly taken the time to respond but I think this might be the time to cough up for me.

Sorry again!
    • Redx
    • By Redx 20th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 18,147 Posts
    • 22,954 Thanks
    Redx
    bailiffs only turn up AFTER a court case, when they have a CCJ and are enforcing it

so without a court decision and judgment , why would YOU think that bailiffs can "just turn up" ?

surely you have seen bailiff programmes on tv where they turn up with a court order or a writ and show the debtor the paperwork ?

if or when this goes to court, if you lose in court , pay the judgment , promptly, within 1 month

that way no bailiffs will knock at your door

so , no court , or court with prompt payment = no bailiffs, its that simple
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • StoppedForSeconds
    • By StoppedForSeconds 20th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    StoppedForSeconds
    bailiffs only turn up AFTER a court case, when they have a CCJ and are enforcing it

so without a court decision and judgment , why would YOU think that bailiffs can "just turn up" ?

surely you have seen bailiff programmes on tv where they turn up with a court order or a writ and show the debtor the paperwork ?

if or when this goes to court, if you lose in court , pay the judgment , promptly, within 1 month

that way no bailiffs will knock at your door

so , no court , or court with prompt payment = no bailiffs, its that simple
    Originally posted by Redx
    Thanks Redx. I suppose the unnerving thing for me is seeing the threat of it in black and white on a letter posted through my door.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 20th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 18,147 Posts
    • 22,954 Thanks
    Redx
    that is their idea, to bully you into paying by using falsehoods in their paperwork that you posted above

it is true that if a judge makes a decision against you and awards a sum of money, IF you fail to pay that money within 1 calendar month then a CCJ is issued and they can enforce it as shown in the letter above and the consequences are what they say , this can be by using court bailiffs or sheriffs depending on the sum of money owed that a judge has decided should be paid to the claimant

what they fail to mention is that if you pay up , IN FULL, whatever a judge has stated to be the sum of money owed, that this is the end of the matter

so we advise that you do not pay UNLESS A JUDGE SAYS YOU OWE A SUM OF MONEY , in court

if that happens, pay up asap and certainly within one calendar month to avoid all the ISSUES listed in that picture above

hoever, if you win you claim up to 95 in costs like loss of earnings , car parking , travel costs etc to the court

remember, bylaws apply at airports, which is different than a private car park where contract law is the issue before a judge in civil court

please show us any case listed on tv where the bailiffs did NOT have a court order of one kind or another that was signed by a judge (you will not find one)
    Last edited by Redx; 20-03-2018 at 7:19 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • StoppedForSeconds
    • By StoppedForSeconds 20th Mar 18, 7:20 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    StoppedForSeconds
    So would you say this is something I need to respond to or is it one to ignore? I must admit I've hovered over the button to pay up on their website!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

1,699Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin