Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dontone
    • By dontone 22nd Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 4,201Posts
    • 13,419Thanks
    dontone
    0 WOW
    Want to go to Barcelona. Need some hints & tips.
    • 22nd Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    0 WOW
    Want to go to Barcelona. Need some hints & tips. 22nd Jan 18 at 4:10 PM
    Hiya

Myself & Mr Dontone were thinking about going on a little break to Barcelona. Not only to see the sights but perhaps to go to Camp Nou and see a La Liga match.
    The thing is, is that trying to book is a bit confusing/frustrating. We looked at one of those sport break sites, and it seemed perfect, until we realised that flights weren't included (optional extra is a scarf for 15 - for that I want the likes of Messi to knit the thing).
    Looking at Expedia, I can book hotel & flights together, but it's Ryanair, and I can't make head or tail of the new luggage charges on their website (never flown with them before) so I was thinking of booking everything separately, I think that the hotel booking will be okay, but I can't find flights direct, it's like you have to fly to Ireland or Amsterdam first.
    I think we can book football tickets direct from the Barcelona website, which would be fine, and is the only thing that looks straightforward.. heh!!
    Can anybody just point me in the right direction please? It's like I'm looking in all the wrong places lol. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by dontone; 22-01-2018 at 4:14 PM.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 22nd Jan 18, 4:29 PM
    • 12,367 Posts
    • 8,448 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 22nd Jan 18, 4:29 PM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 4:29 PM
    It would help if you told us your departure airport...

Would you need to take checked luggage for a short trip? If so,see if you can telephone Expedia: I think (not sure) that their deal with Ryanair means that on this kind of package your luggage is included, but finding this out from the website is impossible for me.
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 22nd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,309 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 22nd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    use sky scanner and set parameter for direct flight, search for dates and prices that match when you definitely can get tickets for football

Prioritise which item you book when so you don't fit in everything you want, ier footie tickets may be more popular than the flights so book those first?
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 22nd Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 13,419 Thanks
    dontone
    • 22nd Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    It would help if you told us your departure airport...

Would you need to take checked luggage for a short trip? If so,see if you can telephone Expedia: I think (not sure) that their deal with Ryanair means that on this kind of package your luggage is included, but finding this out from the website is impossible for me.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    oooopss. That would help. Either Leeds/Bradford (preferably) or Manchester. Not fussed as to which one.
    The luggage thing did confuse me as sometimes we take a slightly bigger case for both of us to share, and a small bag for money/passports etc. When I looked on their website yesterday, it had various pics of bags and then a list of charges. So i was looking at other flights/airlines and they were all saying that there were either 1 or 2 stops.
    We've only ever done long haul flights and our couple of trips to Europe have been via the ferry, so I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to shorter flights/budget airlines/list of charges. That's why I'm asking on here for a bit of help.
    Thankyou for replying
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 22nd Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 7,655 Posts
    • 6,220 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 22nd Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    Jet2 city break from Leeds Bradford.

By far the easiest booking process of the low cost airlines, good flight times too.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 22nd Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 22nd Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    A roller hockey game in the arena next to Camp Nou is a fun experience. And cheap.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 22nd Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 22nd Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    Choose a weekend where Barcelona's opponents mean they won't sell out, (most teams don't). Visit the stadium and buy tickets the morning of the game. It's exactly what me and some friends did a few years ago.

Otherwise I suggest the cable car ride down to the port area. Scary and wonderful at the same time.
    Pants
    • Bodders11
    • By Bodders11 22nd Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Bodders11
    • 22nd Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    As others has suggested, book flights separately but also book hotel and football tickets independently. You don't need a travel agent. It will work out cheaper, I anticipate.

Lap up the culture, enjoy Las Ramblas, enjoy a drink along the beach, try paella, etc.

It is one of my favourite cities. I've done all of the above. The only thing I would change is if I can go instead
    • sheslookinhot
    • By sheslookinhot 22nd Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    sheslookinhot
    • 22nd Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    • 22nd Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    Is it not the case that a bag you would normally take into the cabin must now be handed at the gate for storage in the hold at no cost. Unless of course you pay for it as cabin baggage.
    Mortgage Free
    Planning for Retirement
    • dontone
    • By dontone 17th Apr 18, 9:04 PM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 13,419 Thanks
    dontone
    Apologies for bumping my thread up after so long.
    We managed to book and are going on Friday. We've booked both the Sagrada & Nou Camp tour (they changed the dates for the football match - boo, but never mind)
    One question though - regarding public transport. Which is the best one to purchase, the T10 or the 3 day Metro card?. It's a bit confusing as to which one is the value.
    We can walk to the Nou Camp, but going to the Gothic Quarter, & round that area seems a bit far to walk. So, we were wondering which is the best value. Thanks very much.

• vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 17th Apr 18, 9:26 PM
    • 18,245 Posts
    • 113,265 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    It depends on how much you plan to travel. Don't forget that you can share a T10. So 5 journeys each, and if you use that, you can buy another T10.

I've been to Barcelona many times and we've never used more than 2 T10s between us for a weekend break. Say you were going to Parc Guell and decided to get the metro then the bus, that counts as one journey not two. Youd need to make more than 20 journeys each over the 3 days to break even, which is quite a lot.

Although it is hilly, it is also quite walkable, so we quite often find ourselves wandering from one close attraction to another without using the metro.

ETA... one reason that people buy the 3 day pass is it includes the metro from the airport, which the T10 doesn't. However the T10 does include the train, so if you are staying anywhere near one of the train stations (which we do), there isn't an advantage in buying the pass. The train stops at Sants, Gracia and Clot, all of which are pretty central.
    Last edited by vivatifosi; 17-04-2018 at 9:35 PM.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    • 13,331 Posts
    • 11,319 Thanks
    zagfles
    Good advice above, also the Runnerbean walking tours are good, their main ones are "free" (tips only). You'll have been told but watch out for pickpockets esp on Ramblas.
    • markandkate
    • By markandkate 19th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 840 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    markandkate
    Don't bother with taxis as the traffic is so bad you can walk faster. Don't eat on Las Ramblas as it is ridiculously expensive. The market is great and there are some hot food stalls at the rear where they cook the food fresh for you at a fraction of restaurant prices
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,945Posts Today

8,602Users online

Martin's Twitter