Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 21st Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 306Posts
    • 1,298Thanks
    dustydigger
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights
    • 21st Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights 21st Jan 18 at 5:47 PM
    I love MSE,so much wisdom and practical advice for someone seeking to improve not just finances but the quality of life. However it is surely a time eater,and being frugal with my time is certainly a high priority on my agenda! I spend way to much time online these days,and frequenting MSE has added another hour to the total!
    So I thought it wiser for now to have a diary where I can post my thoughts and plans,rather than posting - however much fun it is - on lots of threads.
    I will be 70 end of a,Mr Dusty is 78. We live on the guaranteed minimum income pension,and need to live frugally,because with 4 children,5 granddaughters,a great granddaughter with a great grandson due in March,plus various partners making a grand total of 14 people to buy for at Xmas and birthdays I definitely need to keep control of my finances. Plus of course saving for household needs,and all the normal expenses of running a home.
    For years there was always at least one child in dire financial straits,but things thankfully have stabilized,they have jobs and are settled,and at last I can get my finances firmly under control.I have one more arg*s payment and then I am totally debt free
    I have my bills on direct debit,and this month have set up several bank accounts for different purpose,and am starting this new year with eagerness for once (more later on various woes).Mr Dusty saves for himself,but he has family in Africa where life is extremely hard and he has constant drains on his finances.All the bills and running the house come out of my part of our income,and we arrange our affairs on a fortnightly basis. I hope keeping track of all my affairs in a mindful manner will lead to a feeling of financial security and stability - and its quite fun too challenging myself to live in a frugal way. A new fortnight starts tomorrow
    I also hope to add posts about decluttering and organizing the home,about my Slimming World continuing challenges,recycling,and also about the Sealed Pot challenge,surveys,hobbies etc,and anything really that comes into my head!
    Looking forward to improving many parts of my life!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 16-05-2018 at 11:28 AM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    2 Savers 2018 #19 90 Tesco Xmas Savers 17.29
    House & Home Fund 2018 - 172 (plus 174 from 2017 = 346)
    SW loss - 4 stone
    / AF May 21/24 Books read 10/14 Prolific 2.56
    30mins Walks (Body Magic) 8/12

Page 8
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 10,108 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Oh my those nosebleeds sound hideous. Hope they clear up soon for you.

With the kindle its worth keeping an eye on Patricia Wentworth, they had a run of putting the re-released ones on as free for a couple of days and I got most of them that way. I prefer the Miss Silver ones but the rest are usually an ok read.
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 12th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Oh my those nosebleeds sound hideous. Hope they clear up soon for you.

With the kindle its worth keeping an eye on Patricia Wentworth, they had a run of putting the re-released ones on as free for a couple of days and I got most of them that way. I prefer the Miss Silver ones but the rest are usually an ok read.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Hi ,redofromthestart. Yep,I hope the nosebleeds are over.Heyyou have to have a varity of illnesses,dont you?
    Thanks for your Patricia Wentworth info.the earliest book available to me in the series was Miss Silver Intervenes,book six!But I have just checked and the library has just got an ebook anthology edition of the first three in the series, Grey Mask,The Case is Closed,and Lonesome Road.I always prefer to read a series in order,so I can happily fill the gap,only books 4 and 5 would need to be bought.
    Mind you,with over 110 books already pencilled in for the rest of this year,it may be next year before I get to them
    In general I usually plan my basic 12x12 challenge in January,(which is 12 books each for 12 categories) but can often read 16 books a month,so that leaves room for spontaneous reads from the library shelves,or rereads of old favourites,
    Delighted to say that on my Librarything virtual bookshelf I now have 3998 books listed.Just tried to add the Lindsey Davis novella I just read to the list,but it doesnt seem to be listed on the site,perhaps because it is only a short story.
    Oh well,I had better get cracking to reach that 4000 book new level soon.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope there is good news today.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 13th Mar 18, 10:59 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Hope there is good news today.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Unfortunately not,beanie lou. I was sure that with a new magistrate who knew nothing about the case there would be problems and sure enough they put the case off again,so Mr Dusty's trip was a complete waste of time and money. Cant even be bothered to talk about it,too upsetting and depressing.
    Actually I shouldnt be so down.He is seeing daughters and their families - and getting a bit sun,so its not all bad
    My granddaughter the Imp is improving and will go back to school tomorrow so in theory I should be free as a bird. However I have another trip to the dentist tomorrow.Too annoyed to talk about it tonight.
    Thursday I am expecting a parcel and also our medication delivery,which is so unpredictable it can vary from 12 till 5pm.I hate waiting for deliveries,the time seems to drag enormously!Plus SW class.
    So it will be Friday before I can have my only day out of the whole of my so-called ''holiday'' And thats just to take library books back
    In between entertaining the Imp I did my first bit of housework in 3 weeks Amazing how much dust can accumulate in that time. Washed all the window ledges downstairs,dusted tables,cleaned the mirrors washed the hearth and then cleaned the glass TV stand. Wasnt too much fun trying to bend down to do the bottom shelf,I ended up sitting on a stool to do it. Anyway nice and sparkly - for a short while. Its amazing how much dust is attracted to that stand by the electricity or whatever.
    Its nice too,very calming,that there is no clutter anywhere in the living room,every surface clear. Well of course,no Mr Dusty with his papers and drinks and clutter everywhere. I had better enjoy it while I can.
    I think I had better turn the heating back on in his ''den'' and the spare bedroom,have had them turned off for 3 frugal weeks. My February bill was 20 less than January! The ''den'' looks wonderfully neat.I sorted all his stuff,but didnt dare to declutter it. I faithfully promised not to throw anything away this time.Mr Dusty has never forgiven me for throwing out his huge pile of Readers Digests from the 80s someone gave him,and he never read anyway. It took months before he even noticed they were gone,but he has grumbled about it ever since. Almost the last words he said before leaving was not to remove even a single sheet of paper
    He's a packrat,what can you do?
    The only decluttering I have done today is actually just to go through various drawers,bags ,boxes etc around the house and have collected all paperwork - bank statements,bill,insurance utility papers,genealogy stuff,instruction manuals,guarantees,photos etc.They are now all together in a small suitcase,and 2 big carriers,waiting for me to find the health energy and patience to go through all of them.I want to put all important stuff together,with a list of instructions on what to do if anything happened to me - including a list of phone numbers,bank details websites,with passwords IDs etc.Now I've reached 70,and have been poorly, I think this is on my mind,so its a sensible thing to do. At the moment stuff seems to be scattered round the house and no-one would be able to find anything.and Mr Dusty would be clueless. My dear late sister was so organized and had such an arrangement,and it made things simple and straightforward.But I cant concentrate on it at the moment,maybe before the end of the month?
    Finished another book today makes 7/14 read,34 books for 2018.And am at 3999 read,another day or so and I will have reached the 4 thousands
    Apart from this few things I have wandered around worried or distracted,comfort eating (hate to think of my Thurday SW weigh-inBy my wonky scales I've put on 2-3 lbs and I am just going to draw a line under it,and try to start again once Mr Dusty is back home,and things hopefully get back to normal!

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 14th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Sad to see that Stephen Hawking died.Amazing man,so determined not to let his ALS overwhelm him.He was and will be an inspiration to many people in all walks of life.
    RIP Stephen
    Havent watched the news much while Mr Dusty(who watches news channels like other people watch soaps etc) has been away but its been a weird few weeks.After numerous US school massacres,after 17 people were shot dead at Parklands,the young people rose up in anger in a way not seen before.The Donald has alternately amused and bemused the world as ever,including a spectacular week of sackings in his best ''You're fired''Apprentice style. And the Russians have been methodically removing old enemies in the UK like something out of a John Le Carre story!I have been keeping a list of interesting news items to inform Mr Dusty on his return,including Wigan humiliating Man City in the Cup.
    Yep,its been a little more offbeat than usual
    Last edited by dustydigger; 14-03-2018 at 6:59 PM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    There was a lovely message yesterday from Dunblane(22 years ago yesterday) to the people affected by Parklands.
    Never forget.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 14th Mar 18, 7:18 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    There was a lovely message yesterday from Dunblane(22 years ago yesterday) to the people affected by Parklands.
    Never forget.
    22 years ago! In some ways it seems like yesterday,the utter shock we all felt. How sad that that sort of thing has become almost commonplace in the USA,and until this latest outrage seemed to in some way normal and expected. Weird country. The thought of popping into Asda and buying milk,eggs and,oh,musnt forget I want a new gun too,and Mr Dusty needs some extra ammo.........Wonder if I should get an semi-automatic rifle,or a sub machine gun......... Its bizarre to everyone except the people of America..... Crazy

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Crazy isent the word for it

***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 14th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Got a little housework done today,first in weeks. Amazing how much dust accumulates in 3 weeks,especially on the glass TV stand from the static electricity Washed all the window ledges downstairs,cleaned mirrors,washed the hearth,cleaned outside of fridge,cleaned the ceramic hob and the microwave,mopped the floor,emptied the rubbish.Was a little wobbly at times,and took some little rests,but felt pretty good compared with last week.Legs not so wet noodle like
    On Monday I went for my new dental plate and was very annoyed. (Couldnt even be bothered to discuss it that evening here in the diary!)All the staff has changed,and the bloke dealing with me was hopeless.I have one artificial front tooth,next to it is my own other front tooth then the 3 false ones together. My last denture was excellent,but this one was ridiculous. As I said before the denture had been getting loose,the natural tooth was moving a little to the side. To my horror the plate he gave me,gave me one tooth less,left a gap between the real and artificial front tooth. I asked him(rather sarcastically I'm afraid) werent friends etc going to be surprised at seeing me with a gap between my teeth all of a sudden? Made him redo it,and today he produced something that looked normal,but admitted it did seem a little loose,but that,oh well,a bit of fixative would probably sort that.I am not amused but I needed a new one because I dropped the old one coming down the stairs with a pile of clothes ,and stood on it! I need it for public appearances like SW tomorrow, shopping,going for Mr Dusty on Tuesday and just for life in general of course.
    I brought the darned thing home it looks very good actually but its loose. The bloke apologised and admitted he had been too quick doing the original impression trying to get me a new one quickly.Honestly,I doubt if he will last long there!And I hate fixative,my old one originally fit so well I never needed to use glue,so I need to get out and buy some.
    Can anything else go wrong with this so eagerly awaited ''holiday''?

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 15th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Quite a varied day today. Luckily the parcel was delivered around 10 am,and I passed the time till then in cleaning all the 7 windows.,the glass in front and back doors,the glass-fronted bookcase,and a couple of mirrors. I hadnt done the upstairs windows since before Xmas.
    The window cleaner came yesterday for the outside windows,which galvanised me into copying him. Of course,once he has cleaned them it is an absolute law of nature that it should rain very soon,negating his work.And boy did it come to pass.I went out before the rains started and got home just in time.The chemists didnt deliver the meds till after 4 pm,and the was soaked to the bone,so I sawno chance of getting out then to go into town.
    I had done a quick shop,spending 16, in Her*ns on mostly my veg and SW foods.The bags were really heavy,but they fortunately acted as anchors as the Siberian east winds were gusting very hard,I could have been blown off my feet without them!
    At SW weigh in I was actually a little relieved when I put on 1 lb,taking me back yet again to 3st 12 lbs. I am never going to get to that 4 st!!But after the last few totally off plan eating weeks I wouldnt have been surprised at a much higher gain,so its a relief. See if I can lose 1 lb this coming week?
    Also collected a reservation from the library,and was unable to renew the Quintin Jardine Bob Skinner novel,State Secrets, for another full 3 weeks,because someone else wants it ,but they did extend it for a week,so I will have to put other books aside till I finish it. No problem,I am 50 pages in and its very intriguing as usual. I think its book #28 or thereabouts in the series,but Jardine is still ringing the changes in the plots,so the series is still going strong. Lots of Rankin Rebus fans around,but personally I prefer Jardine's charismatic cop.Now completed 8 books,still a long way to go.
    I have been experimenting with doing surveys,starting with the Prolific academic ones. I enjoy how varied they areand its fun just trying to guage just what the researcher is really after,often they try to pretend they are after one thing,but are really testing something else.That makes it fun,and they are usually quite short,rarely more than 4 mins for your 60p,which is fine.Total with a sum pending is 7.99 so far,could be a nice little sum by XmasOf course sometimes there can be a 3-4 day gap between surveys,but its a nice little side activity.
    OnePoll is another survey site with very short surveys,most of which are 20p,and it seems there are a lot of disgruntled people on MSE who have been waiting forever to reach the 30 payout level. I only check occasionally,so that could be 2 years for me
    InstaGC is annoying as far as I am concerned.I never qualify for a survey,they just ask a million questions(thus collecting free data) then disqualify you after all.Not going to even try. And my Macafee antivirus etc plus IP security just wants to block me from most of the offer sites on there. And obviously a 70 yr old woman with no kids under 18 who doesnt drive,go to the pictures or goes in for a lot of tech is NOT in the favourable demographics. All I am doing is playing videos while I am elsewhere on the net,and it took me a week to get 1 from that to go on my Amaz*n book fund. OK ,that could be a fair sum by Xmas,but I cant be bothered. I have other fish to fry!
    Worst of all was MySurveys,which have plenty of surveys,but they are interminable and boring. They say it will take 20 minutes,but with my slow internet connection,and using a laptop it takes a lot longer than that. I think they must be counting length by time on a smartphone or tablet No,surveys must be just a sideline. Health,dieting,exercise,homecare,decluttering and frugal penny pinching etc etc have higher priorities.
    And anyway,once Mr Dusty comes back,its back to taking care of him,and time management will be something I will have to ponder on. so surveys will go by the board to a great extent I suspect.But they have helped to distract me from pain etc these last couple of weeks!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 15-03-2018 at 10:16 PM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    I love Bob Skinner novels.
    Quintin Jardine's next one comes out next month.

***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 16th Mar 18, 8:22 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    I love Bob Skinner novels.
    Quintin Jardine's next one comes out next month.
    And another one in November!The man never stops,which is good for us,beanie lou,but he's 73 now,who knows when he will decide to stop writing.
    Were you a fan of the Oz Blackstone series? I read a few of the Oz books back,but wasnt too keen. I never bothered ordering them,only picked one off the library shelves if I saw one. And then when Oz was killed off I only tried one Primavera and didnt feel comfortable,and gave up.
    I think it must have been about 1995 that I came across Skinner's Rules in the library,and was hooked. Immediately reserved Festival,Trail and Round,and then had to settle to wait for the yearly book.Wish my fave writers could write more quickly,like the romance writers,3 or 4 a year
    Do you buy them or get them from the library?
    Any other authors/series that you follow devotedly?

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Dident realise QJ was 73.
    Have seen him at a few writers talks.
    I dont enjoy his other series though.
    I get my books from the library.
    I follow a lot of crime writers especially Scottish ones.
    Was a very early follower of Ian Rankin as he is a fellow Fifer & not much older than me.

***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 16th Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Yuck,that 8 inches of snow we had melted and then its rained almost continually this week,so now the grass is just spongey and squelchy to walk on.
    I had to go out yesterday in the rain and pick up all the rubbish from our front garden. We are about a 3 minute walk away from a Subway sandwich shop,a chinese takeaway and a corner shop. So many people finish eating/drinking their stuff as they get to our garden and feel free to chuck the wrappings etc over the wall!.After 3 weeks being ill the stuff had accumulated and despite the torrential rain yesterday and the slight dizziness when bending over I couldnt stand seeing the mess any more so I picked all the stuff up,and it was then that I realized just how saturated the ground is. We are up on top of a hill,but I get the feeling some places are going to have spring flooding,more homes ruined.
    So called 100 year events seem to come every 2 or 3 years now!

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 16th Mar 18, 9:27 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Got my new 5 year bus pass through the post,thought the govt with their ''austerity'' dogma might have changed it to paying half fare,but not so far. Probably to save money the council once again just used the same picture from the original pass,10 years ago.Hair is now grey,the slimming has thinned down the face a lot,but I still have the same hairstyle,so I am still somewhat recognizable.
    That pass is a boon for we wrinklies without a car on hand,it saves a fortune in bus fare each year
    Another nice bonus today was a 25 cold weather payment.
    Rare as hens' teeth as the temp has to get below zero for 7 consecutive days,and with our unpredictable weather,that doesnt happen often. This is only the second payment this winter!

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 16th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger

Woo-hoo! Since my head is finally clear I finally took the plunge to go out without using my walking stick.Thats NINE YEARS of needing it because of my terrible knees. Its 16 months since my second knee was replaced,and recovering hasnt been the easiest thing,and indeed the leg still isnt totally straight or pain free if I stand a while,but compared with the pain and reliance on a stick in the past it is wonderful.It was thought possibly I would always need a stick,but I have perservered in strengthening my legs and they are probably the best they've been for 15 years.Had to turn a little sideways and step down off the pavement with the stronger leg,but it wasnt too bad.Going up stairs still is uncomfortable and I need the rail, but honestly I feel ten years younger,not a woman old before her time.
    Its been a pretty difficult month,but hopefully I can get some momentum now on the other areas of life I want to improve

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 17th Mar 18, 7:25 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Very little left at the end of this fortnight when I emptied my purse,4.26. Would have been 6.75,but the batteries in the TV remote gave up the ghost this morning,so I had to brave the snow to go up to the corner shop and had to pay 2.49 for 4 batteries. Normally we just get a pack of a dozen for 1 at the Pound Shop,but Mr Dusty forgot to get some before he left.
    And of course its a law of nature that we have oodles of every other type of battery but not the ones we need.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,357 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on no walking stick.

***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 18th Mar 18, 11:55 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Good news on no walking stick.
    Thanks beanie lou. Of course as soon as I could walk its the Beast from the East's little brother messing things up
    Putin doesnt need to bother with expelling diplomats etc. Sending us these Siberian snow and winds is punishment enough

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 18th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Mr Dusty tried to phone yesterday at 2pm but the connection was terrible. I think he said he was coming back on Monday as planned,but despite both of us shouting over each other I couldnt make out if he said he was arriving on schedule 11.20 am Tuesday. In fact I am sure he was saying Wednesday,but we had to give up talking,it was just impossible to hear.He said he would try to phone again later,so cue me sitting ever since listening for the phone
    Will have to take some gloves and a sweater to airport.He left in dry weather,around 4 degrees,and we went by daughter's car. Now it feels like -10c and we have to travel by train and bus in the snow. Oh joy
    Nothing going right on this trip,right to the bitter end.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

176Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin