Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 21st Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 306Posts
    • 1,298Thanks
    dustydigger
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights
    • 21st Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights 21st Jan 18 at 5:47 PM
    I love MSE,so much wisdom and practical advice for someone seeking to improve not just finances but the quality of life. However it is surely a time eater,and being frugal with my time is certainly a high priority on my agenda! I spend way to much time online these days,and frequenting MSE has added another hour to the total!
    So I thought it wiser for now to have a diary where I can post my thoughts and plans,rather than posting - however much fun it is - on lots of threads.
    I will be 70 end of a,Mr Dusty is 78. We live on the guaranteed minimum income pension,and need to live frugally,because with 4 children,5 granddaughters,a great granddaughter with a great grandson due in March,plus various partners making a grand total of 14 people to buy for at Xmas and birthdays I definitely need to keep control of my finances. Plus of course saving for household needs,and all the normal expenses of running a home.
    For years there was always at least one child in dire financial straits,but things thankfully have stabilized,they have jobs and are settled,and at last I can get my finances firmly under control.I have one more arg*s payment and then I am totally debt free
    I have my bills on direct debit,and this month have set up several bank accounts for different purpose,and am starting this new year with eagerness for once (more later on various woes).Mr Dusty saves for himself,but he has family in Africa where life is extremely hard and he has constant drains on his finances.All the bills and running the house come out of my part of our income,and we arrange our affairs on a fortnightly basis. I hope keeping track of all my affairs in a mindful manner will lead to a feeling of financial security and stability - and its quite fun too challenging myself to live in a frugal way. A new fortnight starts tomorrow
    I also hope to add posts about decluttering and organizing the home,about my Slimming World continuing challenges,recycling,and also about the Sealed Pot challenge,surveys,hobbies etc,and anything really that comes into my head!
    Looking forward to improving many parts of my life!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 16-05-2018 at 11:28 AM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    2 Savers 2018 #19 90 Tesco Xmas Savers 17.29
    House & Home Fund 2018 - 172 (plus 174 from 2017 = 346)
    SW loss - 4 stone
    / AF May 25/24 Books read 14/14 Prolific 2.56
    30mins Walks (Body Magic) 9/12

Page 7
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 4th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    My daughter was 39 today,and intends to stay that age for a decade at least!
    It was wonderful to the tribe after a whole week all alone. My son got back safely,my daughters managed to get time off or to work from home but my poor granddaughter had used up all her lieu days and had to go to work all week. A 5 mile bus trip to the town, then 30 mins by train to the city then another bus from there! All in 40 mph freezing winds.Tough kid just shrugged it off,it would have killed me
    Weather improving,its 34 degrees,and the snow is melting rapidly. Its so unpredictable. Last month we had one mere 3 inches snowfall,and it took best part of a week to go. Now I can already see my bluebell stalk tips,maybe an inch showing,yesterday they were totally hidden by the snow,so at least 3 of the 8 inches has gone in half a day!
    We are having the really strong spring tides at the moment the waves are immense. My little town is well known for the huge waves that crash onto the stubborn little lighthouse which has withstood horrendous storms since 1905. Its 35 feet high but the waves are gargantuan,towering over it.. Wish I could work out how to show you pics,(I am so not technical!) but if you go to google images and type in ''Seaham lighthouse'' you will see some really awesome pics of the waves which batter our stretch of coast.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 4th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Nothing like staying in - and not eating - to save money. 28.35 for the saving pots today when I emptied my purse for end of the fortnight
    On the reading front I managed to complete my planned 15 books for February,and have already ticked off 3 books for March. I have 4 books in progress and am struggling to resist starting even more. I love to vary what I am reading according to mood etc.Some people are surprised that I can have as many as 6-7 books in progress at the same time,but I dont find it difficult at all,nor do I get confused between books.To me each book has its own little world each very distinctive

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 4th Mar 18, 6:17 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    I've read (regularly) all of the Allingham and Marsh ones.I also like Patricia Wentworth, Dorothy Sayers and Agatha Christie for the reasons you say. The Georgette Heyer crime ones are good too.

Josephine Tey wrote some great books. I'd struggle to pick my favourite of hers too.

lonelyrat I don't think I could pin it down to one either, every now and then I try and do a top ten of books but really struggle. I'm a Terry Pratchett fan and he would be in my top authors but not necessarily in my top ten books.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Redo,I am in the process of filling any gaps in my Ngaio Marsh Alleyn series I hadnt read. A few months ago I read ''The Nursing Home Murders',in January I read ''A Wreath for Rivera'' and this week its going to be ''Overture in Death'' Then I still have to locate ''A Grave Mistake'' ,''Photo Finish'' and ''Black as He's Painted'' to finish all 32 of her books,according to my records on Librarything.
    In the case of Margery Allingham I've read 16/19 of the Campion books,will be reading ''The China Governess''this year then will only need to locate ''The Mind Readers'' and ''Cargo of Eagles'' to complete the se of full length novels. Dont think I'll bother with the short storiesI mostly find short stories a bit unsatisfying
    I've read all six of Josephine Tey's Inspector Grant books,as well as the brilliant ''Brat Farrar''

Oh,and I too am a Pratchett fan,I've read about 15 of his books. On the list this year is ''Lords and Ladies''. I particularly love the character Death, WHO ALWAYS TALKS LIKE THAT,Lord Vetenari and of course The LuggageHow sad that Alzheimer's cut Terry's brilliant career off so prematurely.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Mar 18, 7:38 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,370 Thanks
    beanielou
    Wow, I only usually have a couple on the go at a time.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 5th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Wow, I only usually have a couple on the go at a time.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    It doesnt bother me and I am going to be extending from 4 to 6 in progress books after all,since my quota for this fortnight is to complete 6 books,so Ineed to start those last two!
    I have 2 weeks with lots of reading time(if my stupid headaches allows me of course). Once Mr Dusty is back he will be wanting my undivided attention probably,and wouldnt appreciate me having my head stuck in a book,or me clutching a kindle at all times.After almost 48 years of marriage you'd think he would get used to it,but he NEVER reads a book,only newspapers so he cant see the attraction.
    Will have to cut down on the time online too. Mr Dusty only uses the internet for his emails or checking the footie results,and just cant see how on earth I can spend 5 hours a day online if I have the chance! I'm sure MSE folks understand
    Last edited by dustydigger; 05-03-2018 at 5:57 PM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 5th Mar 18, 6:03 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Cant believe how quickly the snow has gone.6 inches mostly gone in a day,amazing.. And my bluebells look as if they grew another inch while under the snow. And my neighbour's snowdrops are as defiant as ever!.
    Nice to see the birds back in the garden,all the nuts are gone,will put out more tomorrow . But I still havent seen the tiny birds that live in my hedge

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 5th Mar 18, 6:20 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    New fortnight starts today. Checking out the finances I realized I forgot to post that recently I started using my Tesc* clubcard for Xmas savings.Normally I only buy potatoes or veg at the little Express store 10 minutes walk away. They are the only shop in the area that sell Mr Dusty's fave Maris Piper potatoes,he refuses to eat the ordinary (much cheaper!) white potatoes.Its just a nice distance for my knees to manage for an outing,and so far I have made a princely 29p from buying there. But I will save about 3 a fortnight and when I reach 25 I get a bonus of a 1.50 voucher. So I will save up for the Xmas alcohol there.Saving and exercise combined,win-win! My son lives 5 mins walk past there,so at Xmas he can hump the bottles for me.
    Long way ahead? New MSE me has to plan ahead,and actually its only 8 months till the vouchers will arrive,not as long as it may seem.
    And life flashes by at a frightening speed when you get older

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 5th Mar 18, 6:42 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    And life flashes by at a frightening speed when you get older
    Originally posted by dustydigger
    You are so right it's frightening.
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 6th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Morning! A balmy 4C and its chucking it down, and every speck of snow has gone,so situation back to normal.
    Healthwise some improvement,pain almost gone from ear,its itching instead so I must be healing.Headache almost gone but still slight blurred vision and sickliness from the vertigo. If I walk very slowly,keeping my head as still as possible,I can move about.
    I am going to make my ubiquitous porridge,and then when some of the dizziness has receded I need to post my budget for this new fortnight.
    ........Oh boy,I am feeling really dizzy,so I am going to lie down for a while then get back to you.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,370 Thanks
    beanielou
    Snowing again here but hopefully wont lie.
    Glad that you are feeeling a wee bit better today.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 6th Mar 18, 7:01 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Snowing again here but hopefully wont lie.
    Glad that you are feeeling a wee bit better today.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Wow,beanie lou. I spoke too soon,its been quite a day. I felt sick,and then surely was,and also had loose stools to put it politely (sorry,TMI) But that was all to the good in my view as that is nature's way of cleaning out the bad stuff. I felt a bit better for a while,but stayed in bed part of the day and then slept deeply. At 5.50 I was pulled together enough that I was ready to come back on here.There I was logging in when suddenly I had an epistaxis attack,more commonly known as a nosebleed!It started spraying all over the laptop,down my T shirt,and by time I grabbed some tissues was all over my hands. At first I just used tissue after tissue,then grabbed a little bowl and watched as blood poured out filling about 2 inches deep!Never had a nosebleed like that before. What a day. Dusty's head has not had a very good time lately!
    And I am def going to do a good clean of this laptop,as I can see specks of blood here and there so I am going to check out my computer cleaning kit and clean it off.
    I'll get back tomorrow to posting my frugal fortnight budget if nothing else goes wrong.
    Its all go,isnt it

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,370 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh my goodness.
    That just sounds dire.
    Take care.

***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 7th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Hi folks - if anyone is actually listening!
    Its been a quiet day. No more nosebleeds,thank heavens! A bit dizzy. I have a doc's appointment on Monday to see if there is improvement. If not I will have to try antihistamines ,or even special exercises to counteract the vertigo. But I think I am improving. Just lying down,avoiding stress(!!!!!!) can be helpful. Actually I am sure the ear infection is responding to treatment,its just a matter of patient waiting for the improvement in the viral infection to no longer cause the sinisitis and vertigo,the whole thing goes away gradually,with patience. Certainly the pain in the brow and jaw has decreased dramatically,and today I actually had a proper home made soup meal,made with special attention to moving very slowly and carefully to avoid dizziness if possible while preparing.Before I couldnt bear the pain of trying to eat solid food. Amazing how much pain trying to bite an apple can cause
    One dodgy time today when I had the hairdresser in(thank heavens for home visits from this person,for the last 7 years has come to my home,much cheaper and also a help while I was housebound!) Was a bit dodgy when I had to bend over the sink to have my hair washed. (Pretty dizzy,yuck) but surely preferable to having to go out to the hairdresser's!
    Pain is almost gone,main problem dizziness on moving,and blurred vision.Reading is difficult and since I normally read 3-5 hours a day,reducing to only about 30 pages over a period of many hours,is a SEVERE inconvenience!
    I find living without reading a terrible situation. It is my main stress buster and escape route from stress and pain,and has been for most of my life.So the sooner I improve the better I still have 10 books to read this month to reach my goal,so I need to get better quickly!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 07-03-2018 at 7:17 PM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 7th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    I have added Prolific surveys to my signature. I came across them on a DFW diary,and like doing their surveys. Of course my profile as a 70 yr old presumably excludes me from a lot of surveys,but after checking twice a day I get one survey every 3 or 4 days,and am happy with the 4.92 made so far . By Xmas I should have a nice little chunk of cash,at least enough for one family member's present! Every little helps
    And I find these academic surveys quite interesting. A few days ago one was about charity giving,today was about the notion of having catch up MMR vaccinations in secondary schools,and to what extent parents should be pressured into having the vaccines,plus my opinions on the efficacy of said vaccines. I got 70p for a few minutes work,much better than those very long Swagbucks surveys where I would spend 20 minutes or more with my two finger typing then get chucked out unpaid after all.( I'll tell you about my previous swagbucks saga some other time,,when I am not stressed or seeing double!)
    I am going off for a while now,since I am seeing double and feel a bit woozy. I am off to catch up on a Silent Witness episode. Oh the delights of catch up TV. Very glad I bought a Freesat box last year after the nightmare of TalkTalks inadequate box. More about that too some other time.
    Bye for now!

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Mar 18, 11:15 AM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,370 Thanks
    beanielou
    Reading is my escape too.
    Reading is my greatest pleasure.

***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 8th Mar 18, 11:43 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Here we go.posting the budget a mere 4 days late.This is the active fortnight,and apart from any leftover cash from my household cash budget by the end of the fortnight,there are no bank savings whatsoever. I did a zero sum budget and these are the results:
    total income - 309
    outgoings:
    duel fuel - 81
    phone+broadband - 28
    fire insurance - 20
    water rates - 35
    Asda delivery - 48
    Asda delivery charge - 5
    birthday fund - 10
    passport fund - 20
    hair trim - 6
    my household cash budget - 56
    notes on the budget:
    duel fuel: my provider emailed me to say that my payment is to stay the same for the next 6 months. Most years it goes up so this is like a bonus
    phone+broadbandalkTalk make a great fuss about fixing the price of a contract for the whole 18 months but dont say that ''boosts'' can rise. 1 rise on the anytime calls boost
    water rates: will go up only 13 this yr from April ,barely 1 a month extra,so thats not so bad.Some years the increases were huge,2 or 3 times the inflation rate,so this is fairly reasonable.
    birthday fund:I cleared the whole 100 I had saved in 9 days,no less than 4 birthdays,so I have to start again. At least no birthdays till 26th April,so I have time!Will only be 10 a fortnight for the rest of the year,so that will be a nice little addition to the fortnightly savings.Every little helps.
    passport fund: starting to save early,want to apply before the usual crazy summer rushes. Dont need it till late in the year,(maybe visiting USA in November),but last year my granddaughter was bitterly disappointed when she couldnt go on holiday because of receiving her passport late,I want no crises.
    household budget: this 56 is what's left with the zero sum budget. Last fortnight I allocated 60,and actually potted 28 in my Sealed Pot at the end of the fortnight.Hoping to feel better next week and perhaps finally have at least one day out,and may spend some of this. But with my luck? dont hold your breathOh well,it will be more for the pot!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 08-03-2018 at 12:03 PM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 9th Mar 18, 1:18 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Bad morning. Woke up and got dressed,but it was only 7 am,the heating had only just kicked in,and I knew it was warmer in the bedroom than downstairs for at least 30mins,so decided to lie back on the bed and do a little reading till 8am.Was slowly and carefully lying down to avoid setting off the vertigo when....... another nosebleed! Pillow case and sheet down side of bed saturated.Fortunately a toilet roll was handy,but the blood comes very fast and soaks the tissue,so I hurried downstairs to get my little bowl.Bled for about 20 minutes.,ruined another T shirt.
    Found a good website with helpful tips on treatment and prevention. I am on a blood thinner since I had a mini-stroke in 2013,which of course is slowing down coagulation. I am going to abandon them for a few weeks till all the inflammation etc in the nose improves.No hot drinks for 24 hrs sadly.
    After cleaning myself up(once again my hands looked like Jack the Ripper's after one of his evenings out,and the mouth and chin looked like I was a zombie. after a tasty munch) I then had to get the blood out of the sheets and pillowcases,and then put them in the washer.No way will I iron them,they'll go back on the bed all wrinkly.I detest ironing.Mr Dusty does all the ironing in our house,the only household task he will do apart from washing dishes but he's away,so wrinkled sheets it is
    next up was phoning Asd@to complain about my bag of fruit being missing. The delivery girl yesterday said someone would pop in during the day with it,and I waited all day.Would have liked to go to bed or lie down,but needed to be nearby.You know what a long day it makes waiting for someone.
    This morning it took 12 minutes in the queue to tell Asd@off,sitting on the hall stairs,very cold,but they quickly ordered a refund,it went through immediately. But no fruit! Ah well,my diabetic nurse told me to cut down on fruit. I used to eat 7 or more pieces a day,my fave food! I was rationed to 2 pieces - and now I have none! Its just not my week,is it. Bowlfuls of blood are not helping my anaemia. Will have to step up my sardines, beans,and beetroot,and broccoli in peanut butterBut cant cope with sorting out a SW plan Too stressed out.
    Feeling rather weary and down,so I am off to lie down(head on towel,bowl tissues and newspapers on hand. Its a learning curve !)and try to do some reading.havent completed a book since 4th Thats not like me at all!

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 11th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Happy Mother's Day,bit belated but never mind.After a very expensive 14 days for the family with 3 birthdays and a new baby in the family to buy for I was all for a frugal Mother's Day.I always feel a bit guilty that Xmas my birthday and Mother's Day come so close together in the year! So I got a little cash,now have 20 in am@zon gift cards to buy books,and some pretty silk artificial flowers. I always fret about how expensive fresh flowers are,and they are gone in a week anyway,so I am much happier with these,that look more like a bunch from a country garden,which is very enjoyable. I've put them on the dining room window sill,makes me feel spring is near! I also didnt want to cope with a full on tribe invasion,so they came by separately for a short while. No outlay either for food,so very MSE
    Slowly recovering from the vertigo,though cant bend yet,get woozy and havent been able to read much because of blurred vision. Only had one new tiny nosebleed,just a few drops really,so I am pleased that is going away.
    Have been too depressed these last few days even to post on here,but I am determined to get on top of it and get back into the flow in many areas.This is the last week before Mr Dusty comes back and I have a host of things I want to do.
    Was going to make lists and things but my eyes are still a bit dodgy. Unbelievably(for me) I havent read anything today,unheard of. Print books are still a bit uncomfortable to read,but I do have a book on kindle that I just acquired. I can zoom in on the print,and its just a novella,so perhaps I can manage that today.I'll try for an hour,then watch the next Wallander episode on TV,and perhaps manage to read a little more in bed.I think I will be much better by tomorrow

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,370 Thanks
    beanielou
    Take it easy.

***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 12th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Thanks,beanie lou.
    Going to attempt to get back into some sort of normality today.
    First I have a dental appointment I needed a new partial denture (4 teeth) the old one has become insecure and wobbly. I'm sure my gums are shrinking rapidly with age.
    I will probably have an uncomfortable week breaking it in,I know from experience.
    As soon as I come back I will be babysitting my 9 yr old granddaughter,aka the Imp. Poor kid has a terrible cold.Her mother will drop her off before going to work.She is normally such a tough kid,so her mother was taken aback at seeing her just in tears at feeling so rotten. Cue lots of warm drinks,watching kids TV,and singing songs and telling stories,and fingers crossed I dont catch the cold!
    Anxious day waiting to hear from Mr Dusty,the court reconvenes today,but who will be there or what will happen is unknown.Fingers crossed for a verdict,but with a new magistrate,who knows?I am not at all optimistic.
    Better go off and get ready for the dentists,10.15 appointment Glad to see the mist is clearing away,but it is so dark and dreary but its stopped raining for once.Once I get off the bus its about a 6 minute walk just a nice distance for my wobbly legs to get a little exercise.Last time I went it was in a blizzard during the horrible bad weather.Had to go by taxi each way.Today use bus pass much better in the frugal living stakes plus some exercise
    Oh,and I finished the book I had been squinting at all week,plus the novella on the kindle,so the reads total is up to 6/14,not so bad.
    Oh,and I had better take the cotton wool out of my ears right now in case I forget and go out with cotton balls sticking out. They are so warm and comforting with the ear ache that I dont want to take them out!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 12-03-2018 at 9:03 AM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,990Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin