Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 21st Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 642Posts
    • 2,115Thanks
    dustydigger
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights
    • 21st Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights 21st Jan 18 at 5:47 PM
    I love MSE,so much wisdom and practical advice for someone seeking to improve not just finances but the quality of life. However it is surely a time eater,and being frugal with my time is certainly a high priority on my agenda! I spend way to much time online these days,and frequenting MSE has added another hour to the total!
    So I thought it wiser for now to have a diary where I can post my thoughts and plans,rather than posting - however much fun it is - on lots of threads.
    I will be 70 end of a,Mr Dusty is 78. We live on the guaranteed minimum income pension,and need to live frugally,because with 4 children,5 granddaughters,a great granddaughter with a great grandson due in March,plus various partners making a grand total of 14 people to buy for at Xmas and birthdays I definitely need to keep control of my finances. Plus of course saving for household needs,and all the normal expenses of running a home.
    For years there was always at least one child in dire financial straits,but things thankfully have stabilized,they have jobs and are settled,and at last I can get my finances firmly under control.I have one more arg*s payment and then I am totally debt free
    I have my bills on direct debit,and this month have set up several bank accounts for different purpose,and am starting this new year with eagerness for once (more later on various woes).Mr Dusty saves for himself,but he has family in Africa where life is extremely hard and he has constant drains on his finances.All the bills and running the house come out of my part of our income,and we arrange our affairs on a fortnightly basis. I hope keeping track of all my affairs in a mindful manner will lead to a feeling of financial security and stability - and its quite fun too challenging myself to live in a frugal way. A new fortnight starts tomorrow
    I also hope to add posts about decluttering and organizing the home,about my Slimming World continuing challenges,recycling,and also about the Sealed Pot challenge,surveys,hobbies etc,and anything really that comes into my head!
    Looking forward to improving many parts of my life!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 16-05-2018 at 11:28 AM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    2 Savers 2018 #19 178 Tesc* Xmas Savers 61.56
    Icel@nd bonus card 14 House & Home Fund 2018 - 322 (plus 174 from 2017 = 496)
    weight loss : 0/7lb AF Mar-Sep 208 days+ Oct 13/24 Books read Oct 4/8 Prolific 12.25

Page 30
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 18, 8:38 PM
    • 57,478 Posts
    • 235,475 Thanks
    beanielou
    Take it no good making all the porridge in one go?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 13th Oct 18, 9:49 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Take it no good making all the porridge in one go?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Nope,it sets as soon as it cools down.Its a different consistency from our porridge,made from maize meal instead of oats

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    weight loss : 0/7lb AF Mar-Sep 208 days+ Oct 13/24 Books read Oct 4/8 Prolific 12.25

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 13th Oct 18, 10:35 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Mr D is slightly better,the dam has broken,if you get me,and the pain has lessened.But he is still acting as if he has been at death's door,and wants me to go out again to town,as he doesnt trust being too far away from a loo for a while!
    So I am already boiling the potatoes and veg,Did the beef casserole yesterday.Should leave to go to town at 11 am and be back to roast the parboiled potatoes by 12.
    Glad to see that the very thick fog is dissipating,and that wind has gone.The bins - and the rubbish - are still lying all over the garden,but I dont have time,or desire,to pick everything up from the soaking wet garden. Maybe tomorrow All day yesterday it was like Wuthering Hights,with the wind moaning through the small vents in the bedrooms. The wind has to be in a precise position and that fortunately only occurs a few days a year. Its very eerie,like being in a haunted house. Certainly didnt cheer Mr Dusty up much yesterday

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 13th Oct 18, 10:46 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    dustydigger
    I think I told you several months back about the terrible fright my granddaughter suffered when her nasty ex,undeterred by her changing the locks,or his being served with a restraining order not to even come in our town,piled up the wheelie bins and climbed up to the bedroom windows,and appeared on the stairs carrying a hammer. Finally had the court case,pretty much a waste of time. he got a suspended sentence,and our town is an exclusion zone for him for no less than TEN YEARS.If he comes near,he goes to jail
    Poor girl had to give up her house and has moved nearer to her other gran with her 2 little kids 8 mths and 23 months.We just have to hope that he gives up and goes off to make other people's lives a misery. Anyway,its good the case is over,one less thing tumbling around in what passes for my mind these days.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 14th Oct 18, 11:26 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Bit depressed today. My daughter who lives across the road is going to move!Her eldest daughter is moving to Gateshead,near her work since she hates her. 90 minutes each way commute to work. She has a bus pass that her former boyfriend gave her when he did law work for a the bus company,and it expires in December,and she would have to find a lot of money to pay travel costs if she stayed on in our little town.She is going to live within walking distance of the hospital where she works so as to avoid forking out a fortune. My other granddaughter will move in with her brother near her job,and my daughter herself very unexpectedly has been allocated a one bedroom council flat,she thought it would take years. She feels if she refuses this one she may not get another chance for years.And she reeally wants to get back into council housing.She only gave up her council house 4 years ago because of the crime and drug dealing in her street,but has had a rotten experience with having a private landlord..
    The flat is in our town,but the other side,no direct bus link,so I am going to see a lot less of her and all of them.
    Strange how things seem settled then a complete change occurs The one close if chaotic family unit will now become four. But at least she will be only 2 minutes away,in the next street,to her daughter with the 2 babies.. At the moment i get a visit from someone from the household every day,or at least a cheery wave as they pop up the street to the corner shop.They have never lived more than 5 minutes away over the last 25 years,so its a bit of a shock for me - and I just cant seem to cope with change or surprises these days.Well and truly getting old - and selfish. My daughter has had so much to cope with the last few years and she really feels she needs some peace and quiet,a relief from stress.
    Lots of work to do to dismantle the home,and I dread being asked to store stuff,my house is already packed to the rafters!
    I am measuring my battered old dining table to see how it compares with hers,to see if it will fit if I take it over.My present table is drop leaf,tucks neatly into the space,and hers isnt,so I will have to think about if I can rearrange the dining area. I would be able to store more boxes under the tble,but where would the book case go?
    I REALLY wish I had a garden shed to store stuff and take some of the strain of storage out of the house

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Oct 18, 11:46 AM
    • 57,478 Posts
    • 235,475 Thanks
    beanielou
    That is sad news & will take some getting used too.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 14th Oct 18, 2:52 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    You may be getting older Dusty but selfish you aint.
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 15th Oct 18, 9:38 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Poor Mr Dusty is still laid low by this gastric attack. The 4 days of suffering apparently feel like 4 years to him,and it didnt go down well when I said he still probably has 2 or 3 days of misery still to go.Trying to get him to take fluids is like pulling teeth,and he wont take the sachets of replacements of electrolytes Its like taking care of a fractious child!
    Not helped by me having a rotten cold, My lungs are totally clogged up with phlegm,because with my rotten immune system my body makes valiant attempt to get rid of nasty gunk via my lungs,battling the enemy,but never seems to finish the job,So we have the situation of Mr D obsessing about giving me his germs,so that we spend lots of time wiping down the bathroom and door handles to kill the germs,and me trying to take care of Mr Dusty without giving him my nasty dose of cold.I think it would kill him offWhat a life!
    Healthwise,the only good news is that the arthritis flare up has calmed down,pains subdued,and so I dont need a pencil to type with. But I feel so miserable with my cold I dont feel up to spending time online,for long,nor do I feel up to reading,though I did finish a 4th book for this month,making it 4/12.Should be 7 at this point in the month,so I'm way behind
    I seem to be lolling around watching gormless old disaster movies on TV,must be at least 6 hours watching TV yesterday.Up till the last 3 months when I have been so low I barely watched TV at all,instead,reading or being online in my spare time. Better pull myself together,dont want to rot my already dodgy brain with mindless TV rubbish.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 15th Oct 18, 11:46 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Not a single potato in the house,and Mr D wants mashed potatoes.Got the bus instead of doing the usual 10 minute walking to Tesc* Express since I feel a bit dodgy.Not a single potato! They are waiting for deliveries. same thing with the next shop I visited.Hopped back on the bus and went to the corner :shop up the street,and the only potatoes they had were a kind I picked up by mistake once before,and they were awful,Mr D wouldnt eat them and they ended up in the bin. I've taken a chance on them this time,and perhaps they will be OK mashed,heavily disguised in milk,pepper and butter! Live and learn,I made mash the other day,with Mr D impatiently waiting for the potatoes to cook - and he ate exactly 2 mouthfuls!I'll make less,give him only a little bit,and have some left for later! Glad I havent got the usual elaborate meals to make while I am off colour myself.
    Off to make the mash,then I am going to make a big pan of mixed veg,which I will then mix with stewing steak ,it will make me at least 3 mealsso that will keep me going. for a while.
    I put on an incredible 4 lbs so far this,stress eating,irregular snacking,half a dozen slices of bread a day and lots of sweets,chunky KIt-Kats and packets of Smarties.I seem out of control.Really bloated,panting when walking,right back to the old situation I was in a couple of years ago. But without the pain in the knees thank the lord.
    But I did refrain from buying sweets this morning,and intend to keep to low carb is possible today.
    Will try to get on afterdinner to post my fortnightly budget.I did intend that this be my final budget in my diary. I've been on MSE for a year at the end of this month,for the mostpart have sorted things out like finances,decluttering the house and keeping it in better condition,etc. But I am feeling so islated and stressed I think I will continue on here for a little while longer,though not perhaps as frequently. I so miss my sisters,I have no one of my generation to confide in or go for help,so I hope you dont mind this moaning minnie continuing to ramble on.Never seems to be much good news to tell you.these days!
    Although it was nice this morning to hear that Meghan and Harry are going to have a baby.Helps to counteract at least a little bit the depressing tale of that poor journalist who went into the Saudi embassy to get papers to get married and then never came out again. It seems that powerful nations no longer even pay lip service to behaving decently or obeying international laws..
    Last edited by dustydigger; 15-10-2018 at 5:17 PM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 15th Oct 18, 12:33 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Hi Dusty,just popped in to catch up on your diary,I've been a bit lacklustre with my reading and posting lately
    I'm sad to see you are feeling down and stressed,you have had a lot to cope with over the last few months and you don't seem to have any support,does Mr Dusty do anything to help around the house at all,I think he should be made aware of just how much you do and the fact that you are not well yourself,I'm so glad I'm single
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,306 Total Now Owed = 16,324
    Emergency Fund = 250 Xmas savings = 380
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 15th Oct 18, 12:35 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Also meant to say in no way could you be considered selfish and I do hope you carry on posting on here,I enjoy reading your posts and you need somewhere to vent your feelings to avoid a spell in jail
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,306 Total Now Owed = 16,324
    Emergency Fund = 250 Xmas savings = 380
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 15th Oct 18, 4:07 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 3,046 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Also meant to say in no way could you be considered selfish and I do hope you carry on posting on here,I enjoy reading your posts and you need somewhere to vent your feelings to avoid a spell in jail
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    Totally agree with OBL, and had to laugh at the last bit!
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 15th Oct 18, 4:22 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    I for one really enjoy your updates - full of drama (the saga of the mashed spuds made me smile) and interesting details. Please don't stop posting
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 15th Oct 18, 4:24 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Plus there may be a fair few of us who could provide you with an alibi. You know, just in case one were needed
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 15th Oct 18, 6:27 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnight : 15th Oct - 28th Oct
    income : 291 from Mr Dusty,71 my pension,total 362

outlay:
    water rates- 36
    life insurance - 20
    mixed bag DD - 20
    birthday fund - 10
    hair - 6
    asd* food shop - 53
    xmas savings cards - 10
    personal allowance - 20
    HBB (home budget box - cash) - 141
    -----------------------
    total income - 362
    total outlay - 316
    surplus - 56

looks like a nice surplus,but nowadays I have to keep money to top up the expensive fortnight,because of that direct debit of 50 to save for USA trip.Its seriously cramping my nicely arranged frugal fortnights,where I lived within my income,and transferred any extra cash straight to the bank. Oh well,that will end in April,and life can get back to nice steady comfortable living.Putting money aside is very much like paying debts where you need to go carefully on a restricted budget so as to put aside for a purpose.
    Personally I think I do very well,buying food,paying all bills and insurance,and saving around 25 all out of 180 a week!Couldnt have done it pre MSE days,I'm sure.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Oct 18, 6:55 PM
    • 57,478 Posts
    • 235,475 Thanks
    beanielou
    I think you are amazing with money

Keep posting

***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 16th Oct 18, 10:57 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    dustydigger
    ear me,so many people wanting to help me eliminate my husband,or at least give alibis!
    Mr D is marginally better,thankfully the diarrhoea has abated but his stomach is still in knots and he isnt used to being in pain,and feeled generally weak - and pitiful.. He has been able to sit up in the sittingroom for a couple of hours,but soon tires.He has just gone back to bed,so I am popping on here for a quick visit before attempting to do a little housework,though I am pretty shaky myself I have the shivers at the moment,and feeling a bit dodgy,but would rather keep busy than dwell on it. Unlike Mr Dusty,I am very used to feeling off colour or in pain,I tend to take it as normal!The hairdresser will be coming tomorrow and thats always an incentive to make the kitchen look presentable i'll wash the cupboard doors benches and sink today,tidy the diner part and mop the floor tomorrow.
    Just cut down my reading list for the month. It was 14 books,then 12,now I'll cut it down to 10.I am just too distracted to settle to reading,which is depressing.
    Wont be at the history group tomorrow but I did make a nice discovery about an ancestor's occupation which I hope to tell you about sometime. But that family line is becoming increasingly hard to follow

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 17th Oct 18, 10:16 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,115 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Oh boy,you may need to alibi me soon. I can see progress in Mr Ds health,but he insisted last night that I call an ambulance! Managed to calm him down and dissuade him from that but called 111 at 6.30pm.There was a comic opera call where Mr D was acting as if he was dying,and I was putting more realistic comments,or he couldnt answer questions as to what the pain felt like and so on.He claimed to have numerous doses of medicine,I explained he had had irregular doses of paracetemol once or twice a day,a total of 12 tablets so far.He is convinced that he is overdosing on paracetemol,which can have serious consequences. He had to have the chemist reassure him a few days ago that electrolite replacement stuff wouldnt clash with the paracetemol and kill him!
    Anyway they made an appointment at our surgery for 7 pm,my poor daughter had just arrived from work,a 90 minute commute,and took us down. Doc assured Mr D there were no lumps or blockages,the stomach was soft not hard and distended. She then repeated all the advice and treatment I have been fruitlessly trying to get him to do and prescribed a muscle relaxant,an antispasmodic that they give people with IBS.Just the thought of the hell my life would be if Mr Dusty ever did get IBS is enough to make me feel faint!
    All the chemists were shut we had to go to Asda,and I plonked him down to wait for the medicine while I nipped round the shop and got a couple of bags of his beloved Maris Piper potatoes.
    We got in the door and he feverishly started tearing the packaging from the tablets to gulp one down,and said he had to eat exactly 20 minutes later,and wanted his beloved porridge. Patiently - if through gritted teeth - reminded him how long it would take,about 40 minutes,so eventually he settled for beans on toast,ate 2 spoonfuls of beans and that was it..
    I was shattered and slept in,got up at 8 o'clock and found he had gone downstairs and made himself a cup of tea and took his tablet at exactly 8.
    His first words were how difficult it would be if there was no one to take care of him and that he appreciated that I wasnt well myself. So far so good,but by 8.35 he was yelling where was his food it was 15 minutes late,he had to eat on time!. I made a fave snack of his,omelette in a sandwich. When I brought it he sat draped over the chair arm looking pitiful for several minutes,no urgency to tart eating He then dropped the top slice of bread on the floor,but refused another piece to go on top thus struggled to eat an open omelette sandwich,not the easiest of tasks. After all that he ate only 3 mouthfuls and that was it.
    Meanwhile I have the sweats,feel weak as a kitten but have to get on with it. I have put on potatoes for mash for dinner,mash now being the king of foods because the doc said so. I am preparing fish too while cleaning and tidying the kitchen for the hairdressed this afternoon,because he wants me to go to town to do various things for him,and of course he will have his next tablet at exactly 12 and will need his meal at exactly 12.20 so I've had to work out my schedule accordingly.,with frequent rests when I feel bit dodg,but I need to be out of here by 10.30 to go to town and try to be back 11.45 to do the rest of the cooking. Close timing.
    Dont be surprised to hear I have buried him in the garden .

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 17th Oct 18, 12:02 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 3,046 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Don't mean to sound nasty but....has he given any thought to who will 'look after him' when you're not there.... because that is a much more likely scenario
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 17th Oct 18, 1:42 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Dusty remember No is a complete sentence.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,795Posts Today

8,364Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin