Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 21st Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 635Posts
    • 2,094Thanks
    dustydigger
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights
    • 21st Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights 21st Jan 18 at 5:47 PM
    I love MSE,so much wisdom and practical advice for someone seeking to improve not just finances but the quality of life. However it is surely a time eater,and being frugal with my time is certainly a high priority on my agenda! I spend way to much time online these days,and frequenting MSE has added another hour to the total!
    So I thought it wiser for now to have a diary where I can post my thoughts and plans,rather than posting - however much fun it is - on lots of threads.
    I will be 70 end of a,Mr Dusty is 78. We live on the guaranteed minimum income pension,and need to live frugally,because with 4 children,5 granddaughters,a great granddaughter with a great grandson due in March,plus various partners making a grand total of 14 people to buy for at Xmas and birthdays I definitely need to keep control of my finances. Plus of course saving for household needs,and all the normal expenses of running a home.
    For years there was always at least one child in dire financial straits,but things thankfully have stabilized,they have jobs and are settled,and at last I can get my finances firmly under control.I have one more arg*s payment and then I am totally debt free
    I have my bills on direct debit,and this month have set up several bank accounts for different purpose,and am starting this new year with eagerness for once (more later on various woes).Mr Dusty saves for himself,but he has family in Africa where life is extremely hard and he has constant drains on his finances.All the bills and running the house come out of my part of our income,and we arrange our affairs on a fortnightly basis. I hope keeping track of all my affairs in a mindful manner will lead to a feeling of financial security and stability - and its quite fun too challenging myself to live in a frugal way. A new fortnight starts tomorrow
    I also hope to add posts about decluttering and organizing the home,about my Slimming World continuing challenges,recycling,and also about the Sealed Pot challenge,surveys,hobbies etc,and anything really that comes into my head!
    Looking forward to improving many parts of my life!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 16-05-2018 at 11:28 AM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    2 Savers 2018 #19 172 Tesc* Xmas Savers 59.56
    Icel@nd bonus card 14 House & Home Fund 2018 - 322 (plus 174 from 2017 = 496)
    weight loss : 0/7lb AF Mar-Sep 208 days+ Oct 13/24 Books read Oct 3/12 Prolific 11.25

Page 26
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 7th Aug 18, 10:31 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Its my week for suffering rotten smells. A few days ago it was the creosote or whatever my neighbour used on his new drive etc.Just like nail varnish remover and it was getting on my lungs
    Today I went out to the bin,and was nearly knocked down by an horrific smell! I should have known when Mr Dusty said the other day the farmers had cut the cornfields,and the haystacks were there in plenty. I always forget every year,but once the hay is in,dried and removed the farmer covers his fields with the most godawful,revolting manure/sewage slurry or whatever. Its the most unbelievably bad smell.

Might be excellent for restoring nutrients to the ground to replenish the soil for next year,but it is so,so disgusting. We are probably between 1/4 and 1/2 a mile away from the cornfields,and for the most part the wind is blowing slightly away,but its a really terrible smell. It is possible to treat the stuff to mute the smell,but thats expensive for the farmer,so every year for the best part of a week we have to suffer. Just when its so warm we want the windows open!
    .........hmm,and just to add another fragrance,the garage around 60 yards away is having a petrol delivery right now.What a strange time to come!Normally I quite like the smell of petrol but my nose is rebelling from the smells I am being subjected to.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    weight loss : 0/7lb AF Mar-Sep 208 days+ Oct 13/24 Books read Oct 3/12 Prolific 11.25

• Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 8th Aug 18, 1:24 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 2,803 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Poor you. Think if it was me I would stuff some cotton wool up my nose. Lol.
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 9th Aug 18, 10:04 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Well,the smell is receding,praise the Lord. I certainly wouldnt want to walk through those fields for exercise for a while.Not much fun in this hot weather keeping all the doors and windows shut either
    Healthwise I'm not too well. Its been an horrendousweek with Mr Dusty,endless complications with his new bank account,he's on to his third card in a month.the machine keep eating his card. He had me writing a letter of compaint so I had a lovely time pleasing him and his rants against the bank,while making his complaints coherent and comprehensible for a stranger to understand. We quarreled about every clause throughout,it took 90 minutes.Then he wouldnt send it email,had me write it out longhand to deliver in person. Fortunately there was a very kind and suitably grovelling lady at the bank to deal with him,but unfortunately when he got home he got a text saying they were cancelling his card,come to the bank with ID. Back to town,20 minute bus ride and 10 mins walk to the bank,more rants in progress.They apologised once more,it was a case of left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing.
    Add problems yet again with being charged for supposedly free international calls,yet a bill this month for 38 on top of his contract,plus the frustration on the court caseand he is not a happy camper,and I bear the brunt. I have come out in hives,all across my thighs,stomach and chest,the itch is driving me crazy. Then my vision is a bit blurred,my ear itching,and the roof of my mouth really tender.Talk about stress affecting thyroid victims inordinately, I am dropping to bits.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 9th Aug 18, 10:16 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Was very happy when by chance I found a thread for book readers on the Money Savers Arms board. I dont go there normally. Its rather a quiet little thread,but I love talking about books anytime. Of course I shouldnt do it,yet ANOTHER time eating thread to follow.
    The thread is called Lost in a Good Book?What are you reading?
    I find locating threads or members a bit confusing or difficult unless I subscribe to them.I had hoped some of the people following my diary would pop in and discuss what they are reading sometimes,but it hasnt happened,so I had to add a new thread.
    Hope some of you will join me there.
    Was wondering if I should add my Alphabet Challenge on there,might be a bit much

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 9th Aug 18, 10:45 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Will do a bit shopping this afternoon.The outside drain is overflowing again,I need some caustic soda to clear it.I also need pop into the library to renew a book and look for a book I need for a challenge,then its the butcher's for some lamb leg steaks. I got some last week and they were delicious,mouth-wateringly tender,simply casseroled with onions then topped with a mix of tomatoes,onions,and mushrooms. A triumph if I say it myself! Mr D had gone off lamb for a while,but brisket and silverside take so much cooking,and never seem very tasty to me anyway,so I am trying to coax him back to eating more lamb.
    One thing which is pleasing him on the food front is the Maris Piper potatoes. For several months,probably because it was end of season,they werent the best quality,but now they are back to normal. One less thing for Mr Dusty to moan about and blame me for.
    Also need to pop in to Ald! for peanut butter,(I only snaffled 2 blue topped jars last week,it was a sea of orange tops),plus their excellent greek yoghurt and a couple of their chicken tikka pasties,which for a wonder Mr D enjoys,a quick supper meal once a week as a break for me from the cooking.Then pop into Her*n's for my favourite sweetener and some Aunt Bessie's carrot and turnip mash for me.Only 1 there,1.50 at Asd@ All that takes about an hour,I count it as one of my exercise sessions for the week

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 9th Aug 18, 10:54 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 2,803 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    I think you deserve a medal.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Aug 18, 3:33 PM
    • 57,364 Posts
    • 234,843 Thanks
    beanielou
    I dont know how you do it.
    I really dont.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 9th Aug 18, 5:43 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Wow,I have had a very expensive afternoon. I think I need a long line of the blue icons

+Spent 12 in Her*n's on frozen veg and rice.
    +Then 15 in the butcher. 12 of that was for the 8 lamb leg steaks,which I separated into 2 bags. I'll get 3 meals from each pack so not too bad.Also 4sausagesthats 2 meals for him,and some tongue.
    + 8 in Home Bargains for Stardrops,caustic soda,shampoo,bonjela and savlon.
    +13 in Ald! for yoghurt,pasties,tinned mackerel,tuna and salmon. And didnt even get the peanut butter I originally went in for,just a sea of orange lidded crunchy p&b. I will get very grumpy if I have to pay 40p a jar extra at other shops because of Ald!'s weird storage system.
    Everything unpacked and put away,am off now to add the 4 books I got from the library to my TBR lists on LibraryThing,including a new Judith Cutler,Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals,and Just William. Got to be 56 years at least since I read that! I needed a ''J'' title for one of my usual challenges,and was feeling nostalgic!
    I will prepare the plantain,and make fish stew to go with it,then I am just going to chill out and read the rest of the night

Ouch,almost 50. But we are stocked up for most stuff for a while. But I am always amazed when I see MSE families claiming to feed father and mother and 2 kids for 40 a week. Of course Mr D and I eat entirely different meals much of the time which doesnt help!

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 2,612 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Hope you are feeling better,I love to read so will have a look at the thread you mentioned

Ps I think you deserve a medal too,reading yours and Mr Dustys antics is reminding me why I am single
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,306 Total Now Owed = 16,324
    Emergency Fund = 300 Xmas savings = 400
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 13th Aug 18, 10:50 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Hope you are feeling better

Ps I think you deserve a medal too,reading yours and Mr Dustys antics is reminding me why I am single
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady

Good job Mr Dusty is oblivious to the fact that his peculiarities are being broadcast to the nation!
    Sorry not to have been around much this last week,and particularly the last 4 days. I have been really under the weather. Infections in both ears,so sound is muted. I have been watching the TV with subtitles. Couldnt watch some of the IPlayer stuff that had no subtitles,since I couldnt follow properly. I have hives all over me,thankfully dying down nownot so much itching,but its been maddening!
    Worst of all I have a mouthful of mouth ulcers,and my teeth hurt,and eating is difficult. Living mostly on porridge and yoghurt,darent even try to eat hard stuff like fruit
    Only good thing is the feet arent hurting at the moment(though of course I havent been up and about much) and the arthritic fingers have uncurled and stopped hurting. Big bonus!!

On the mental side,not so good. I am off now to hoover then mop the kitchen floor and prepare the dinner.Then I will come back to share with you a rather frightening experience.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 13th Aug 18, 4:03 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    dustydigger
    I have been rather depressed lately,too lethargic even to come online.But something happened on Wednesday that disturbed me badly.
    My hairdresser was due at 1.30,and as usual I made sure the sittingroom and kitchen diner were up to scratch.Mr Dusty came back from the town at about 12.20,and showed me what he had bought etc. The hoover was lying on the floor ready to use,and I was busy in the kitchen,so he decided to go up upstairs,change,and get on with his pools in peace and quiet. I went back to cooking and tidying. Then I hoovered,and made my dinner.( I alwayssit looking out on the main road and I see the buses slowing down to stop at the bus stop a few doors down.I usually see Mr D as he is getting up to get off the bus.) So I sit there,all prepared for the hairdresser,reading a book and eating. I took my plate back to the sink,washed it and put it away,as she would need the sink to wash my hair. Coming back to the sittingroom I heard a noise upstairs.I went to the bottom of the stairs and called up to Mr Dusty,asking when had he come back,I hadnt heard him arrive. A very puzzled face peeped around the top landing. He came rushing down the stairs and explained he had come back 40 minutes ago,and had been waiting for me to call him for dinner,and that we had spoken to each other in the kitchen. It took a while for it to dawn on me and indeed I keep remembering and piecing bits together for several hours. What on earth happened that I completely blocked it out? Was I so focused on the food I was cooking,then on making things shipshape for the hairdresser that I somehow blocked him out? Normally I would make some joke about understanding why I blocked him out,but I was so shocked and distressed about it its difficult to raise a smile.
    I am trying to rationalize it,saying that I was overwhelmed with all the illnesses and stress piled up,that I find it hard to multitask easily these days,so that I focus on something to the extent of ignoring everything else,but its rather feeble.
    I have two choices.One its the start of memory loss as a precursor of a pretty dire illness that frankly terrifies me. The other is that it is part of this thyroid thing. I keep seeing among the symptoms mental confusion or brain fog. which isnt very explanatory. Until further notice I am going to go with that .
    Should I go to the doc? Well,I didnt get any help or encouragement when I said I had been wondering why I suddenly stopped losing weight but then had found than one major symptom of thyroidism was metabolic slowdown. He flatly contradicted me,saying that was extremely unlikely,so I shut up. Trying to explain my fears about deleting a whole conversation from my brain would likely get short shrift.

So I am going with the stress and thyroid issues so I can cope with it.
    Got to eat very well(I have been stress eating carbs like crazy,bingeing and stuffing my face uncontrollably in reaction to my fears,and have put on 4 lb this last week alone. Not very cheering at all),get more exercise instead of stupid lethargy and staring listlessly out of the window.
    Vitamin B12 deficiency can apparently trigger brain fog. Two years ago I had pernicious anaemia,and had to have iron infusions.,but for some reason the surgery recently took me off my strong vit B tablets.I am off tomorrow to buy my own supply,not much good really,but every little helps.

I started this post ages ago,then Mr Dusty wanted my help,and all sorts of things intervened,so I am finishing this much later.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Aug 18, 6:10 PM
    • 57,364 Posts
    • 234,843 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to hear that you are having a tough time health wise.
    Take care of you.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 15th Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Hi people! Just been reading my last few posts,and what a downer for anyone visiting,I have been a total misery,havent I? Sorry!

Health-wise,some improvement - Hives have gone down,I was sick of feeling greasy from the ointment I was using. Ears - only one really bunged up now,so some improvement on hearing,I got sick of saying ''Whaaa?'' to Mr Dusty
    Mouth ulcers,some improvement,not so painful ,but still agony to try to eat anything hard.Did manage to gingerly eat lots of veggies yesterday,though it was difficult to only let food touch the teeth,not the gums or roof of the mouth. Hate to think what it would have looked like to others,but ate alone,so no problem!
    Feet fine,even after walking up that hill to do the shopping hands ditto,fingers straightened out,so can do my hunt and peck. Some grating of the bones but nothing compared to last week.I am convinced that it was the arthritis flareup that set off all the other things. No fun having an immune system that attacks me instead of invading enemies,but thats the way the cookie crumbles.
    On the mental side,still not good. Remember last week I miscalculated my 3rd shop to get a 5 Icel@nd bonus,underspending by 12p? This week I was determined to get it right.So what did I do but leave my debit card behind? I had been online paying off a bill,and forgot to return it to its usual place in the purse. Had started off in Asd@,and had a basket full of stuff when I realised I only had 12 cash in my purse. Had to put everything back except the 1.50 bag of Maris Piper potatoes I needed for Mr D.Then went to Icel@nd and carefully got a few necessary things like milk,bread onions,etc,came to 11 odd,leaving only some silver in the purse,so I thought I was doing well,till I got outside and realized I hadnt swiped the bonus card,so I got nothing!
    You couldnt make it up!Sunday the 19th is the last possible day to achieve the fiver. I am going to go to the Icel@nd in the city instead of that little place on the hill see if I have better luck. This will make well over 30 spent to achieve the third stage of that fiver bonus. I will certainly have earned it.No I only bought stuff that I would have had to buy locally myself,or Mr D would have bought there as part of our regular shopping,so its not a disaster moneywise,though a disaster in the mental health area!
    At least I am recovered enough to see the wry side of things,certainly couldnt a few days ago.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 15th Aug 18, 8:03 PM
    • 2,282 Posts
    • 14,000 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Have just caught up with your diary, I am sorry to hear you haven't been feeling great , but hope things improve for you .

I was thinking of you this weekend, I was in Sunderland at the National Glass Centre , a very interesting place to visit. Then we went for a drive on the coastal road , and headed back to the A19 to takes us back to Middlesbrough way. The more I visit the area , the more I enjoy the place.

I hope you get your Iceland fiver this weekend .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Aug 18, 9:55 PM
    • 57,364 Posts
    • 234,843 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope things continue to improve for you.

***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 19th Aug 18, 11:52 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Hope things continue to improve for you.
    Originally posted by beanielou

Thanks beanie lou,I have greatly improved the last few days,after weeks of misery.Once the arthritis flare up wore off,it seemed to give permission for all the other things to skedaddle too!
    Hives have gone,only one ear is itching and I am not going ''Whaaaa?'' to Mr D so much
    Best of all,those horrible mouth ulcers have gone,and I can eat better,though still a bit gingerly.
    New fortnight starting tomorrow,here's hoping I can get back into routine - till the next set of catastrophes appear on the horizon!

Actually got two 3 hour sessions of sleep last night,with a two hour patch of sleeplessness in the middle,but thats a major improvement!

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 19th Aug 18, 12:22 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    dustydigger

I was thinking of you this weekend, I was in Sunderland at the National Glass Centre , a very interesting place to visit. Then we went for a drive on the coastal road , and headed back to the A19 to takes us back to Middlesbrough way. The more I visit the area , the more I enjoy the place.

I hope you get your Iceland fiver this weekend .
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass

Glad you enjoyed your Sunderland visit,cumbria lass! Did you get a chance to walk along the riverside? My granddaughters(now 22 and 19) still have great memories of the sculptures scattered here and there,especially the ''exploded house'' and the door set into the cliff wall. They really believed that that was a magic door leading into Narnia,if only they could discover how to open it!
    check out - https://wp.sunderland.ac.uk/seagullcity/riverside-sculpture-walk/
    I think once the schools are back in September I will make an afternoon of it,exploring there. 10 years since I was there,the knees couldnt have made it before now.

And yes,I FINALLY earned my fiver. It will come on the bonus card on 25th August,has to be used within a fortnight.No problem,Mr D goes there once a fortnight as it has the tikka masala sauce he likes,and also some barbecued chicken wings.Otherwise he's not a user of frozen stuff or ready meals.Just as well,its a 10 minute walk back to the bus station from there,not fun if carrying a lot of frozen stuff!

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 19th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    dustydigger
    the end of the fortnight purse emptying was pitiful. Even with the odd coins Mr Dusty had on the window sill wasnt a great amount to add to my princely 10p!
    We combined to make 2.15
    Never mind,I did transfer 30 of coins to the credit union on Wednesday,making a pretty nice total of 252 to the CU,and I have 60 in notes in the Pot,so thats a very nice help towards Xmas right there

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 19th Aug 18, 10:35 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 2,612 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Glad to see you are feeling better now, definitely get some vitiamins ,I've just bought some Centrum for women aged 50+ and I've noticed my energy levels creeping slowly upwards
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 1,306 Total Now Owed = 16,324
    Emergency Fund = 300 Xmas savings = 400
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 20th Aug 18, 10:12 AM
    • 635 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Hi OB Lady!. I already take a selenium and zinc pill daily plus till now 3 Vit B tablets a day,till the docs took them off me. Vit B are rather important to those with thyroid problems,so I'll continue with them - if I can get them!

Last week I saw a good offer at Asd@,3 packs for the price of 2,but had left my card at home so couldnt buy them. When I got to another branch on Friday the shelves were almost empty,no Vit B at all,only C. I eat masses of fruit and veg so C is one vitamin I am pretty sure I dont need to supplement specifically,only in a multivitamin tablet..

SPC 2018 # 012 -

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,265Posts Today

7,965Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • a) I dont believe it is misleading b) I don't believe my poll is badly worded, and certainly don't know it is. If? https://t.co/0DduzIaHBk

• Are you overdrawn, if so typically by how much just before you're paid? (sorry for a 2nd poll in a day, but it'll? https://t.co/RwDJ6ZkYQw

• With 8,000 votes, so far Remainers are 86%-14% for a 'people's vote' if there's no deal. Leavers are 63% to 37% a? https://t.co/MspLuPNAo7

• Follow Martin