Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 21st Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 586Posts
    • 1,994Thanks
    dustydigger
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights
    • 21st Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights 21st Jan 18 at 5:47 PM
    I love MSE,so much wisdom and practical advice for someone seeking to improve not just finances but the quality of life. However it is surely a time eater,and being frugal with my time is certainly a high priority on my agenda! I spend way to much time online these days,and frequenting MSE has added another hour to the total!
    So I thought it wiser for now to have a diary where I can post my thoughts and plans,rather than posting - however much fun it is - on lots of threads.
    I will be 70 end of a,Mr Dusty is 78. We live on the guaranteed minimum income pension,and need to live frugally,because with 4 children,5 granddaughters,a great granddaughter with a great grandson due in March,plus various partners making a grand total of 14 people to buy for at Xmas and birthdays I definitely need to keep control of my finances. Plus of course saving for household needs,and all the normal expenses of running a home.
    For years there was always at least one child in dire financial straits,but things thankfully have stabilized,they have jobs and are settled,and at last I can get my finances firmly under control.I have one more arg*s payment and then I am totally debt free
    I have my bills on direct debit,and this month have set up several bank accounts for different purpose,and am starting this new year with eagerness for once (more later on various woes).Mr Dusty saves for himself,but he has family in Africa where life is extremely hard and he has constant drains on his finances.All the bills and running the house come out of my part of our income,and we arrange our affairs on a fortnightly basis. I hope keeping track of all my affairs in a mindful manner will lead to a feeling of financial security and stability - and its quite fun too challenging myself to live in a frugal way. A new fortnight starts tomorrow
    I also hope to add posts about decluttering and organizing the home,about my Slimming World continuing challenges,recycling,and also about the Sealed Pot challenge,surveys,hobbies etc,and anything really that comes into my head!
    Looking forward to improving many parts of my life!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 16-05-2018 at 11:28 AM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    2 Savers 2018 #19 154 Tesc* Xmas Savers 25.85
    Icel@nd bonus card 16 House & Home Fund 2018 - 277 (plus 174 from 2017 = 451)
    weight loss - 2st 7lb AF Mar-Aug 178 days+ Sep 17/24 Books read Sep 8/12 Prolific 4.75

Page 22
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 4th Jul 18, 9:09 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Phew,my nerves are shot. The last 4 days of last 16 football had even me,none football fan,on edge. Those penalty shootouts are really stressful.And England live to fight another day
    Wall to wall football has meant wall to wall Mr Dusty under my feet. He is having a lot of trouble with pixellation,his TV picture is breaking up a lot. I explained that it was probably just the heat,that it happens every summer but not according to him,so he went ranting to Argoose,blaming the TV me and the kids bought him for Xmas. Knew it would be my fault,everything always is They are sending an engineer out today. I am going to hide,I want nothing to do with it.
    So he has been underfoot all the time,cant achieve anything.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    weight loss - 2st 7lb AF Mar-Aug 178 days+ Sep 17/24 Books read Sep 8/12 Prolific 4.75

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 4th Jul 18, 9:13 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Made about 1 from surveys this week,pretty pathetic.I get screened out of at least 4 of MySurveys surveys before I finally get one. And they are so long,and very very slow on a laptop.They say 15 minutes,but it never takes me less than 30!No Prolific,I got timed out of the last one because Mr D wanted me to do something.I missed out on 1

I did do some family history work.I have collected a lot of family records from the Durham records Online site.many hundreds,before I lose access on the 16th.Found lots of new facts ,because some of the work I did way back in 2010,and a huge amount of data has been added to the web since.One family line had seemed to peter out in 1795,the earliest record for that line. Now they have added data going back to the beginning of the 1700s,lots and lots of new clues to follow I was delighted to see that the General Records Office has a pilot scheme on,where you can order a virtual certificate online for 6,the price of a takeaway.I am stuck on getting an uncle's details (I'll do a post about it soon) and didnt want to buy it locally,12.50 with postage,so 6 is a bargain. Its the fact of his birth I need,not an actual certificate,so a virtual copy is fine.That family member has been driving me nuts for months,now the log jam should be broken.
    I should get it tomorrow or Friday. Cant wait,if the date is right I can also add his wife and her family,instead of irritating blank spaces,which drive us genealogists absolutely crazy!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 04-07-2018 at 10:46 AM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 4th Jul 18, 9:28 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Family history group today,I have 50 for the credit union,the woman who takes the money has been elusive lately.That will make 396. Thats the oven and a hoover paid for in advance when they finally blow up. Other things on the list for that account (eventually)? ....garden shed,new carpet,kitchen window blinds,new mattresses etc etc etc.
    No football today,so maybe Mr Dusty wont be in my hair so much. I'll hoover through,and mop the kitchen floor,and put the beef on slow simmer for supper,but I must do some reading. I have 4 non renewable library books due by no later than the 10th,and I am way behind,got to get stuck in,because I hate not finishing a book!About1000 pages to read,at 30 pp per hour thats 30 hours reading by Monday,about 6 hours a day Pre internet day,that would be quite achievable,but I spend far too much time online these days (MSE is a major culprit!) Got to get back to carrying a book everywhere,and reading while stirring the food,having a bath,waiting for buses etc etc if I am goinf g to finish those books

So,less surfing.nonstop reading is the plan.I

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 4th Jul 18, 10:33 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    The engineer came about the telly,as I thought nothing wrong with it,but he cleaned the ends of the wires just to look like he was doing something.Its probably the aerial wire,and I am NOT paying for a new aerial this year at the least.As I say,it happens in hot weather every year,Mr D forgets every time.
    Thank goodness I had insurance coverage for it,I would not have been amused if I had to pay some ginormous call out fee!

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 5th Jul 18, 10:35 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    I have saved an amazing 910 in 6 months

Shows what frugal living,healthy eating and no alcohol can do for the finances
    Originally posted by dustydigger
    Well that's just amazing!!! Massive well done Dusty

My gran's actually through in Edinburgh so should definitely organise a visit soon - she's not that far away! Will pick her brain and try and get some info from her

Don't know if it would work into your lifestyle but I find walking in the morning far better in this weather. I try and get out and home before 10am (if I'm not working!) that way it hasn't fully het up yet. I find the afternoon/ early evening too close and humid.

Hope you get on well with the intermittent fasting - my dad is a big fan. I watched a few youtube videos with him and it does seem really interesting. Takes discipline but I would certainly give it a go in the future (when I'm more disciplined ) Let me know how you get on with it!

Had a chuckle at Mr. Dusty and his antics!
    Total Debt : 1723.49 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 19.2 / 45kg
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 6th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Well that's just amazing!!! Massive well done Dusty

My gran's actually through in Edinburgh so should definitely organise a visit soon - she's not that far away! Will pick her brain and try and get some info from her

Don't know if it would work into your lifestyle but I find walking in the morning far better in this weather. I try and get out and home before 10am (if I'm not working!) that way it hasn't fully het up yet. I find the afternoon/ early evening too close and humid.

Hope you get on well with the intermittent fasting - my dad is a big fan. I watched a few youtube videos with him and it does seem really interesting. Takes discipline but I would certainly give it a go in the future (when I'm more disciplined ) Let me know how you get on with it!

Had a chuckle at Mr. Dusty and his antics!
    Originally posted by lonelyrat

Definitely interrogate the gran. I'm sure there will be some surprises or even shocks and scandals!
    I was delighted to get the birth certicate for my uncle,and it is concrete evidence that the family I discovered in 1939 records is his family. I now can add him and his wife and kids to my tree,and can trace his wife's family back to 1850.The irritating blank space is full at last.Now,if I had aked my relatives back in the day I could probably had all the info plus lots of interesting stories to add flesh to the dry records.I'll try to find time on Sunday to tell the fascinating ,if often frustrating tale of the disappearing uncle
    I havent been too well lately,water works problems as usual,cant seem to shake them off.Plus the feet problems have made walking about rather painful,so no walks. I have been referred to the podiatry clinic.an appointment next Friday.Its partly caused by arthritis in the feet,plus the way that my foot bones are realigning after the knee ops.,weight and pressure are being put on different areas of the feet,and the bones are moving. I can actually see the difference in the left foot operated on in late 2014. The right knee hasnt totally straightened,that leg was very bad,so that foot is still a work in progress,and balance can still be a bit dodgy.I was warned it may never get up to normal standards,but at least the pain is way down which is a major ''gratitude'' to celebrate
    The drawback about not walking is I dont get my heart rate up,so my metabolism is remaining sluggish.Also have been poorly and also stressed out,so have not got back into the intermittent fasting,nor eating properly. Too many health and family issues stressing me out,plus Mr Dusty's court case ruling is tentatively set for next Wednesday,and he is totally obsessed,high as a kite,endlessly ranting on about it,not sleeping at all.He is already sure that he is going to lose the case because of the judicial system's notorious corruption,and intends to appeal. His lawyer has warned him that such an appeal would be very very costly. Of course the system always disapproves of appeals,which it sees as contempt for court decisions,and I see their point.But Mr D is wearing me out trying to comfort and calm him.The football is now actually a welcome distraction from his moanings
    As for his ''antics''.glad its given you a little laugh,could be quite amusing from a distance,not so much fun bearing the brunt in person!

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 6th Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Managed to complete 3 books so far this month,with only 40 pages of a fourth to finish as quickly as possible (probably during the 50 minute bus ride!). I need to go to the library today,as their time is up.
    Challenges so far:
    12x12 challenge on LibraryThing (read 12 books from 12 categories over the year) - 84/144
    Worlds Without End challenge - 42/88
    The Bold, Beauteous, Breathtaking B!

B is the second letter and the first consonant of the basic Latin alphabet. It was part of the Phoenician alphabet more than 3000 years ago, and at the time it was called ''beth; and looked quite a bit different ,though it did have the same sound as our current letter B. In the Greek alphabet, it took the name beta, which is used in English to denote the second in a series. For example, Beta Centauri would be the second brightest star in the Centauri system. It is also used in technical fields to indicate a version of a new program provided to a small group of users for Beta testing; prior to general release. B is often used in English to denote two or second, as in plan B, B movie, etc.

For July:
    1. Read a book where a word in the title starts with the letter B
    2. Read a book where at least one of the author's initials is B;. (First or Last name. Middle name is also acceptable IF the author's middle name is on the cover of the book.)
    3. Read a book with something starting with the letter B; shown on the cover.

Dusty's Bold Beautiful,Breathtaking B Challenge

1. Read a book where a word in the title starts with the letter B : Kathy Reichs - The Bone Collection
    2. Read a book where at least one of the author's initials is B;. Earl Derr Biggers - The Chinese Parrot
    3. Read a book with something starting with the letter B shown on the cover: Jasper Fforde - Lost in a Good Book (bookshelves)

Havent even started one of these yet! This challenge is a great way to read out of the envelope,or read books that have been on the TBR for a long time.
    Last edited by dustydigger; 07-07-2018 at 10:39 PM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 7th Jul 18, 4:54 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Haha! I do love a scandal!

Fingers crossed all goes well on Wednesday I hope it isn't a foregone conclusion and you/ Mr. Dusty get positive news.

Love the bold, beautiful, breathtaking 'B' challenge!
    Total Debt : 1723.49 / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: 19.2 / 45kg
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 8th Jul 18, 4:10 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Haha! I do love a scandal!

Fingers crossed all goes well on Wednesday I hope it isn't a foregone conclusion and you/ Mr. Dusty get positive news.

Love the bold, beautiful, breathtaking 'B' challenge!
    Originally posted by lonelyrat

Sad to say,bad news about the ruling. The date set was Wednesday,and surprise surprise,suddenly that has been announced as a public holiday so that one of the govt ministers can do something or other. Mr D is furious,he is sure the magistrate had insider knowledge that this sudden public day was coming up and deliberately chose that day. Could be,could be,knowing the endemic corruption in the Uganda judicial system. The courts are going into summer recess,and any court cases on that day the 10th will go on the end of the present court lists,so it will be months again. Mr D is absolutely incandescent and bitter,and he is certainly proving hard to live with.OK,I sympathize,and at least he didnt go off to Africa for the judgement,but its hard coping with his disappointment,frustration and anger.Five and a half years for a simple eviction case? Nightmare.And the woman is sitting there rent free,collecting rent from tenants,growing food on the land,keeping cows and selling the milk,and in general probably having a big laugh at the situation.Our lawyer has a list of damages to claim if we win,thousands of pounds. Ridiculous,because she is penniless,and couldnt pay a penny,and is garnering sympathy from other relatives which has caused family tensions and a breakdown in relations with Mr Ds cousin,after about 70 years of friendship.Yep,a nightmare

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 8th Jul 18, 4:14 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Oh,and Lonelyrat,I never expected the letter B in the LibraryThing challenge to turn out so big here on MSE!

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 8th Jul 18, 5:15 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Emptying the purse for the Sealed Pot challenge for this fortnight produced a princely 2.68But I'm with Mr Micawber,any surplus is a win!

Well,I also contributed 4 2 coins to my 2 coin challenge this fortnight,but nothing else. It was a big bill fortnight. 91 fuel and 32 broadband in one day alone certainly lowers the CA rapidly!Plus 16 on family history certificates,but I am pleased with the breakthrough achieved by the purchases, and it was within my Personal Spends 20 budget so I didnt feel guilty at all.
    Oh well,this next fortnight should produce some savings,not so many bills. Plus I've set up a DD for saving for the USA trip,50 a month. A total of 80on there now, looking better already!
    The Xmas fund is looking very good too,420/800.
    Actually I wont spend all that because I am saving in other ways for Xmas. I have nearly 20 on Tesc*,I am aiming for 35 by end of October when the savings scheme ends. That will pay for the Xmas alcohol. I have 10 saved on my Icel*nd bonus card,expect to reach 20 or more by December,for buying frozen stuff etc.( If only I could remember to take my Asd@ Xmas savings cards with me when I go there! Its rare as I do most of my Mr A.shopping online.Not sure if its possible to save online,should check. I only have 6 saved in 6 months because I rarely visit in person,and never have the card with me even when I do. No room for more cards in my purse!.)
    In both cases I will use TCB to get cashback for a home delivery for Tesc* and Icel*nd,which will save me even more.And in any case I am cutting down on food this year,there is always so much stuff left over - which I end up eating!
    I cant reduce much outside of saving for food,because I have 15 people to save for for Xmas presents! I aim to cut down by a fiver per person compared with last year.and some of the sweets and drinks will be covered by the Xmas savings cards ,so actual cash for presents and Xmas cards and other stuff will probably be in the area of 400,perhaps 100 for other items,(including New Year) and birthdays for the rest of the year will be about 100. Total spends in the area of 600.Sure to be some unexpected things,but I should be well within the 800 and anything left will go to the USA fund!
    So I am well on my way to a stress free Xmas (well,moneywise anyway!),and with a healthy 400 in the Emergency Fund,and 394 in the House and Home waiting for domestic catastrophes,financially I feel better than probably any time in the last 10 years.
    Now if real life would stop the body blows from health and family issues everything would be coming up roses.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 8th Jul 18, 5:24 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    The next end of fortnight purse emptying will mark 6 months of my diary,where does time go?

I originally decided to make this a temporary diary for 6 months,to see if I could get some order into my finances - and my life - in that time.The results will come in in 2 weeks,then I decide what to do with the diary,continue or end.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    • 56,774 Posts
    • 230,783 Thanks
    beanielou
    That is dire that the court case can gp on & on & on.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 9th Jul 18, 8:38 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 6,721 Thanks
    mark88man
    Takes more than 6 months to create a magnificent tapestry - but its certaily good to have a think. Maybe pop in now and again to update on book challenges and holiday trips etc. all very interesting to those of us of a nosey disposition.
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight - Fluctuating - less than I was more than I should be
    1/18: CC:11.5K@0% - Car Loan:17K@2.8% - Mort:145K@2.9%
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:13.4K 2017:8.3K 2018-1H:11K
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 9th Jul 18, 8:55 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    I will probably continue a bit longer,Mark,as I do love having a place to rant,and setting down plans etc does shame me into at least trying to carry them out!

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 9th Jul 18, 9:29 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnight : 9th July - 22nd July
    income - 291 from Mr Dusty.71 pension.total 362.
    outgoings:
    life insurance - 20
    water rates - 36
    asd@ shop - 60
    DS1 birthday - 25
    passport fund - 10
    HBB(home budget box) - 141
    total outlay - 292

70 to savings. ,30 to Xmas fund,20 to USA trip,20 to the Mixed Bag(home insurance and miscellanea )

So,the state of the funds
    Xmas fund - 450/800
    USA trip - 100/1000
    Mixed bag - 160/300
    Emergency fund - 400/1000
    house and home - 396/1000
    Last edited by dustydigger; 16-07-2018 at 10:52 AM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jul 18, 9:41 PM
    • 56,774 Posts
    • 230,783 Thanks
    beanielou
    YOur pots look just awesome
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 10th Jul 18, 8:43 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Thanks beanie lou,I'm still gobsmacked myself at how well the savings are going. When I look yearningly at the confectionery section in the shops I comfort myself with that!So easy to pop a couple of chocolate bars,some choc biscuits, a cheesecake,and some frozen meals in the trolley,add a bottle of my only tipple,whisky,and there's around 30 slipped out of the purse ,barely noticed!. Over a month thats works out a big sum!

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 10th Jul 18, 9:46 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Will be trying to get myself back into the diet and exercise routine again. Started intermittent fasting yesterday,and it went OK. Going to have a week mostly of vegetables and salads.Definitely no more bread!
    Intended to have a walk yesterday but it poured just when I wanted to go out.I did a little HIIT instead. I need to sort out a proper regime,for 5 days a week,with alternatives for when the weather is either too hot or too wet!Its supposed to be 14C now but there is a really vicious sharp wind off the sea and it feels much lower. But its dry. Mr Dusty is doing the garden,with me handing the extension cord in and out of windows,locating the hoe,etc etc.I have been called out 3 times already while doing this post!

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 10th Jul 18, 10:30 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    dustydigger
    tasks today:
    +quick blitz of the sitting room now while Mr D is out in the garden. Not allowed to use hoover when he's around,stops him hearing the news for the 50th time of the day!
    +make chicken pie,the ubiquitous roasties,plus carrots and broccoli.Havent had carrots all week since I forgot to buy any!Tut-tut!Sweep and mop kitchen floor after dinner/washing up,and then I'm free for an afternoon of family history.
    +Gratitudes:- water infection in abeyance for now,ear infection a lot less though itching,knees and feet a little improved,so thank heavens for small mercies!
    -sun is shining,looks nice but the kitchen will be a lot cooler. It kills me making big dinners using all the rings and the oven in hot weather. Wish Mr Dusty would eat salads or cold food sometimes.
    - family all well,the stalking ex of DGD2 is quiet for now. She has managed to find a house will move in at the end of July.Less pressure (and more space!) for DD1,and hopefully the ex wont find out where they live.It will be close to her other grandmother,who will keep an eye on her.I think his court case
    comes up in September.
    -footballs almost ended!.On the other hand England's progress has partially diverted Mr D from his doom and gloom over the court case. He is now only ranting sporadically instead of continuously,but he is very depressed.
    -reading going well,I have about 6 books in progress!
    -family history I am making lots of progress on the uncle's family,now I have the evidence to pin down the correct family. Of course as usual it has tossed up a host of other queries and puzzles,but thats part of the fun!
    OK,I am now going off to do my ''blitz'' of the livingroom,doubtless interspersed with orders for rakes etc from Mr D.who is now trimming the front hedge.Its freezing out there,dull and grey and a bitter wind. What a change,bt much easier on Mr D when working hard,he couldnt face the burning heat the last few days - and he's from Africa!

SPC 2018 # 012 -

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,731Posts Today

8,744Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin