Dusty's Frugal Fortnights

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great results for you.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,mummytogirls,thanks for visiting.You were unlucky to be afflicted so young,but apparently even children can be diagnosed at times!:eek:.And its pretty annoying that up to 15 times as many women as men get it!:mad:My sister had it in a severe form for years,but I never knew much about it,never realized that the symptoms pointed to thyroid problems. We certainly live and learn :(
  • dustydigger
    Options
    Not been on much,am not very well,horrible cystitis refusing to go away,and the ear that caused so much trouble last time is very tender,hard and throbbing,really hope I am not going to have a repeat of that rotten time last month. The nurse only gave me 3 days antibiotics,and it doesnt seem to have fully worked.:)
    I put on 1/2 lb yesterday at SW,now halfway at 3 st12 1/2lbs loss between the 3st 11 1/2 lbs loss and 3 st 13 1/2 lbs loss,getting pretty sick of seeing those same figures repeatedly for 11 weeks:mad::mad:
    At least now I understand why,which is a bit of a help in accepting it,but I need to research the situation and make plans.
    I have had the tribe all day since 12 noon,and the last two finally left. I am making Mr Dusty tikka masala,and then I'm off to bed. Been awake since 5 am!
    At least I have raised my total books read to 4/12,but a long way to go there.
    And I cashed out £15 from Top Cashback,my first rewards,so that was good!!
    Hope to have a quiet day tomorrow without visitors,and hope to come on here then. Plus want to go for a walk. So wanted to get out today,but visitors the whole day!.
  • dustydigger
    Options
    Sayschezza wrote: »
    Under active thyroid here also. Weight loss is really hard and the dry skin conditions/thinning hair/brittle nails/etc etc are an ongoing nuisance.

Oh boy,I have all of those,had been blaming the diabetes or old age:rotfl::rotfl:
    And now I notice,my eyebrows are definitely thinning out. I rarely examine myself in the mirror,too depressing,so I missed it:eek::rotfl:
  • dustydigger
    edited 15 April 2018 at 8:13PM
    Options
    All my good intentions to spend a nice relaxing afternoon on here went pear shaped.I am still suffering the cystitis,though the ear is slightly improved. Also there is a family crisis involving GD2,who has had to move home with her two kids because of a vile ex partner who thinks restraining orders are a joke.Nuff said,but its all very stressful for the whole family.DD1 s house is now full to the brim with herself,3 daughters and two babies under 17 months,plus a myriad of baby toys and equipment!:eek:
    End of fortnight purse emptying yielded a princely £2.67. :rotfl:But it was my tougher fortnight with all the DDs etc,and probably £20 in silver has gone into the various pots and the credit union,so thats fine.And the better fortnight is waiting to kick off tomorrow.
    Feeling poorly and stressed,and after making Mr Dusty's supper I think I'll be off to bed early.Did that last night,and woke at 2 a.m.,and didnt go back to sleep for hours,woke again at 5.30,dozed off again later,then slept in till 8.30. Mr Dusty didnt get his porridge till 9.30,and I have been behind with everything the whole day
    New fortnight starts tomorrow,hope its better than this last one,too many thrills and spills and problems for my taste!
    Never opened a book the whole day,and let me tell you that is almost unthinkable for me. I only have 60 pages left to read in one book,I would really like to finish it tonight,but looking a bit unlikely. 8pm and I am yawning continuously with watering eyes:)
  • dustydigger
    Options
    Sad week of remembrance for me. Today was my sister's birthday,and 22nd is my other sister's birthday. I will try to get up to the cemetery one day during the week,if I could get rid of this wretched cystitis.:mad:
    There is a road diversion here at the moment,many buses are not passing through our area at all,they have irregular shuttle buses which connect with the normal buses over 1.5 miles away. Then I would need to get off the second bus and its a 10 minute walk to the cemetery,so its not the easiest place to get to.But there is a bench just beside the tree overlooking the grave,and it is so peaceful. Its on a hillside on the edge of the town. so you have a wonderful view of rolling hills.Its a place to soothe the soul.
    Mind you the place is probably a quagmire,the amount of rain we've had lately. And its still freezing,yesterday might have been sunny for a while,but those east winds made it feel barely above freezing! I went for a very short walk,but came back feeling chilled to the bone.
    My sisters' ashes are buried in my parents' grave in the town where my father is born.
    My grandparents,uncles,aunts,cousins and brother are all buried there too! Its a place of family reunion really,and as a family history student I feel a affinity for the place!:o
    But its a funny feeling being the very last one of my generation left.Not exactly cheering!:D
  • dustydigger
    Options
    .Busy morning cleaning hob and benches,doing a load of washing,unpacking the Asd@ delivery,wrestling to get everything in the freezer. I still have all my GD stuff,then my other daughter forgot her shopping when she went home so I had to squeeze that in too!:mad:
    Off now to hang out all the sheets. Hoping Mr Dusty will iron them later:D
    Still a bit beef casserole left for dinner,with cabbage and carrots for Mr Dusty. I think I will be eating mostly vegetable soup and salads this week in a desperate attempt to lose weight.Yesterday was a shocking day I felt starving all the time,and kept nibbling at things in the fridge.:eek:Got to get my mind focused.
    Finished that book at 5 a.m. since I couldnt sleep.Thats 5/12 books read,and I'm part way through several others:)
    Mr Dusty has gone off to town to collect our new fortnights dosh. Waiting to see how much wonderful rise we get. The window cleaner has already raised his price,as has the hairdresser,and the water company:D
    I'll post the new budget after dinner.Not four days late as has happened recently:D
    Now to hang out the sheets and mop the kitchen floor before starting the potatoes and veg.
    I am having cod,because I couldnt squeeze another thing in the freezer!:D
  • dustydigger
    edited 16 April 2018 at 8:07PM
    Options
    Right,here is my budget for this fortnight. This is the saving fortnight,with fewer bills,so I will be able to allocate £90 to the various savings funds:T

Income:£291 from Mr Dusty,plus £71 my pension total - £362 (£4 a week rise)

outgoings 16th Apr - 29th Apr
    life insurance - £20
    Passport fund - £10 (now £40)
    GD3s Birthday - £25
    Water Aid dd - £3
    Save the Children dd - £3
    hair trim - £6
    Asd@ home delivery - £57
    Slimming World - £10
    total : £134
    household budget - £141 (in cash)
    total income - £362
    total outlay - £275
    surplus £87

so I'll send £90 straight off to the bank :j
    i expect to have a good month with the Sealed Pot and I have quite a bit of silver sorted for the credit union,so I expect to save well over £100 in total:D
    My sons usually alternate in paying the £47 for a SW countdown,but to my shame I never lost an ounce in the last 12 weeks,so I will pay for myself for a few weeks.Two more weeks after this one will make a complete year.If I cant find a way out of this awful rut I will probably give up for about 6 months,try to stabalize my weight as it is now,then perhaps start again,But with all the stress in my life right now,both family and health issues, I dont want to punish myself for no reward. We'll see!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Savings looking good :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • dustydigger
    Options
    really need to show my ''gratitudes'' instead of focusing on the downsides so much.

+Grateful for keeping the Asd@ shop below £60. I managed not to do a shop last fortnight and the cupboards were rather bare,so the bill could have been much higher. I went through before checkout and cut out what was not essential,reduced it by £15!
    +Lovely to see the washing drying on the line in the sun,instead of blocking all the radiators.
    +Mr Dusty ironed all the sheets etc,3 sets of bedding! I DETEST ironing!
    + looking forward to snuggling into the newly washed bedding tonight,its always such a pleasure.
    + finished another book,making 6/12
    + the family history lady worked through my info on an uncle and confirmed the procedure I will need to follow to move ahead.Nice class,only £2 for a 2 hr session,with free access to several genealogy sites,and free printouts etc.
    +Mr Dusty only wants soup and sandwich for supper,Hurray to not having to poach salmon,make broccoli etc,as I am really shattered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure