Dusty's Frugal Fortnights

Options

Comments

• dustydigger
    Options
    Oh,and forgot to add that I finally was debt free on 3rd Feb when I paid the last Arg*s payment .Its taken many years. With a big family,four kids, on a tiny income I couldnt get bank loans etc,so fell into the catalogues' clutches for many many years. I was paying large payments so never had cash to buy things,so had to get them from the catalogue,vicious circle. I was always particularly bitter when I had to buy things like fridges and washing machines.A washer at £200 for cash would be £250 in the catalogue,I couldnt pay the high payment over 20 weeks,so had to get it over 2 years with exorbitant 29% interest. You ended up paying £350 or more for that washer.:mad: It took a long time to extricate myself. as the kids grew up I was able to use Arg*s,though at the time it was a struggle to pay for things over 3 or 6 months,but things gradually improved when we became pensioners, and the kids left home. For the first time I have no debts,and a few hundred pounds savings to cover emergencies. Its a wonderful feeling no debts hanging over you!
    Always was poor,but when I read some of the stories on MSE,people with their credit card debts etc its a relief I never qualified for one way back then!The messes that people have fallen into are hair raising to read.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Fabarooni news on being debt free.
    Be proud :grin:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey,its Spring....well by the calendar maybe,but when I look out of my window the Beast from the East is rampaging for the 4th day here,with gale like gusts swooshing snow into the air and intermittently dropping more snow to add to the 6 inches looking so cute on top of my hedges.:(
    My bluebell plants had reached about 4 inches high but are totally invisible under the 6 inches of snow in the garden. It always amazes me how tough those plants are,they always survive somehow. Not sure about the poor little birds that live in our hedges. I have unearthed some peanuts from the back of a cupboard and will brave the cold to clear snow away to feed them. Bit anxious,no little prints in the snow at all Hope they survive.:(
  • dustydigger
    edited 1 March 2018 at 11:44AM
    Options
    Opened the back door and the snow has drifted a foot high against it. Have just had to put the nuts on top of the wheelie bins,after scraping some of the snow off the lids using my sweeping brush peeping out of the door!:rotfl::rotfl: Its horrible out there. Will still be sub zero temps with snow next few days. Sunday will get up to a balmy 3 C, no snow and a gentle 10mph wind,instead of the 30mph nasty winds right now! :eek:
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hurrah for feeding the birds. There are still (here at least) a few berries and crab apples on the trees. Its often the lack of water that causes them a problem more than food when the weather is bad.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Congratulations on being completely debt free and good to read of all of your various savings pots. I do that too.

Excited to hear about your great grandsons arrival and glad all turned out well. My DD is expecting her 2nd DD at the beginning of May so is 30 weeks now. She had pre eclampsia with her first DD who is 2 and a half now so we are hoping all goes straightforward with this one. It is such a worry.

I expect Mr Dusty is enjoying his unplanned holiday in the sun compared to the snow over here. Shame he has a court case hanging over his head but hopefully all will be sorted soon.

Keep up the good work with SW and I empathise on you having a DH who can eat what he likes. My DH is tall and skinny and I am short and while not exactly fat I carry about an extra stone and a half more than I should for my height. Cooking for both of us is a challenge.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dustydigger
    edited 1 March 2018 at 12:33PM
    Options
    Hi,redofromstart.
    Our next door neighbours had some sort of bushy hedge (no idea what it was,I am no horticulturist!:) )which ended up covered in masses of berries over the winter,surely a feast for the birds. Sadly a few months ago they cut down bushes and trees in their garden,including those scarlet berry bushes.I miss that splash of vibrant red,and of course a useful source of food for the birds was destroyed. Shame.:(
    Do you think the birds would eat couscous?:D
  • dustydigger
    Options
    Hello,enthusiastic saver,thanks for visiting,and thanks for your comments.
    You must have been terrified about the eclampsia,such a frightening situation :eek: Fingers crossed things go better this time.
    Boy do I know about the difficulties of cooking,I end up making 2 sets of meals because his stuff is full of no-nos as far as following SW is concerned - delicious no-nos,but still not advisable.And now that he's away my sinusitis means I cant eat much,so I am not making the most of the situation. Typical Dusty bad luck:)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I adjust to our different diets by cooking mainly low fat and low sugar and buying desserts and snacks bits for DH. He is lactose intolerant so fatty sauces are out for him anyway luckily. He is also a snacker unlike your DH so that helps so long as I resist. Just sat down for coffee together and he gets a nice slice of cake and I get a low fat and low sugar digestive biscuit.

Hope your sinusitis improves soon. It sounds painful.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dustydigger
    edited 1 March 2018 at 1:36PM
    Options
    Have updated my signature for the new month. Last month I achieved 24 alcohol free days,but its my daughter's birthday 4th,son's the 6th,Mother's Day next weekend,Mr Dusty's return on 22nd,and then Easter. Quite a month for celebrations and holiday visitors,so I'll stick with the same 24 days even if its a longer month
    It was a scramble last month reaching my reading goal of 15 books,finished #15 last night,cutting it fine.:D Will go for 14 this month I will be reading 4 science fiction,3 urban fantasy,2 Young Adult fantasy,2 vintage crime - and 1 junior classic!
    As for SW,I have no idea for this month,with all the Feb kerfuffles I have totally lost focus,and just when I had wanted to make a big push to get a really good handle on my sugar so as to get a favourable HbA1c. We'll see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure