Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 21st Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 253Posts
    • 1,172Thanks
    dustydigger
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights
    • 21st Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    Dusty's Frugal Fortnights 21st Jan 18 at 5:47 PM
    I love MSE,so much wisdom and practical advice for someone seeking to improve not just finances but the quality of life. However it is surely a time eater,and being frugal with my time is certainly a high priority on my agenda! I spend way to much time online these days,and frequenting MSE has added another hour to the total!
    So I thought it wiser for now to have a diary where I can post my thoughts and plans,rather than posting - however much fun it is - on lots of threads.
    I will be 70 end of this month,Mr Dusty is 79. We live on the guaranteed minimum income pension,and need to live frugally,because with 4 children,5 granddaughters,a great granddaughter with a great grandson due in March,plus various partners making a grand total of 13 people to buy for at Xmas and birthdays I definitely need to keep control of my finances. Plus of course saving for household needs,and all the normal expenses of running a home.
    For years there was always at least one child in dire financial straits,but things thankfully have stabilized,they have jobs and are settled,and at last I can get my finances firmly under control.I have one more argos payment and then I am totally debt free
    I have my bills on direct debit,and this month have set up several bank accounts for different purpose,and am starting this new year with eagerness for once (more later on various woes).Mr Dusty saves for himself,but he has family in Africa where life is extremely hard and he has constant drains on his finances.All the bills and running the house come out of my part of our income,and we arrange our affairs on a fortnightly basis. I hope keeping track of all my affairs in a mindful manner will lead to a feeling of financial security and stability - and its quite fun too challenging myself to live in a frugal way. A new fortnight starts tomorrow
    I also hope to add posts about decluttering and organizing the home,about my Slimming World continuing challenges,recycling,and also about the Sealed Pot challenge etc,and anything really that comes into my head!
    Looking forward to improving many parts of my life!
    see you sometime tomorrow
    Last edited by dustydigger; 27-01-2018 at 7:05 PM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    2 Savers 2018 #19 78 Tesco Xmas Savers 10.01
    House & Home Fund 2018 - 132 (plus 174 from 2017 = 306)
    SW loss - 4 stone
    / AF April 20/24 Books read 6/12 Prolific 15.49
    SW Spring challenge 0.5/6 lbs//30mins Walks (Body Magic) 7/12

Page 11
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 8th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Never got on here yesterday. Got most of the tasks I mentioned on Friday done. Managed not to fall off the ladder when cleaning the tiles,they look lovely and sparkley now. Went to b&m and got something for unblocking the sink at last,and now the drains are running freely thank goodness.Sure enough the ladder was yucky because of the blocked gutter on the roof. There is a huge tree about 40 yards from me,and the leaves at the end of autumn often block it up Through the winter the blockage moves little by little towards my house,the second in the terrace. The water starts overflowing and dirty leaves come down. The ladder was covered in gunge and needed a thorough cleaning.
    Last time I asked the council to clear the gutters because of leaves falling from their tree on the council park they said they couldnt because of Health and Safety,they would need to put up scaffolding and it was dangerous in the winter and rain!.For decades a man would climb a ladder and scoop out the rubbish by hand,but not today!Anyhoo I now have clean tiles and a clean ladder.
    I know I intend to do declutter over the weekend. Only thing achieved so far is I went through my chest of drawers chucking out old clothes,arranging the drawers neatly.I opened a couple of drawers in the spare room and hastily shut them again. Lots of kids stuff from the Angel and the Imp,plus a zillion wires,cords,aerial wires etc etc etc. There are loads of them all over the house from Mr Dusty, and DS2, who has returned to live at home at irregular intervals,brings all his stuff,and leaves much of it when he leaves again. I have drawers,cupboards and an attic chockablock with his things which he orders me not to throw away.
    One of my daydreams is having everything belonging to him removed,and then having the money to build built in wardrobes with all sorts of hidden shelves and drawers and cupboards which could store a multitude of stuff .Oh for a place for everything and everything in its place. I love checking out Ikea and B&Q adds showing storage solutions......chance would be a fine thing.....no money and the males in my family are serious packrats,and also messy with it.....(sigh)......It will never come to pass.
    Never got round to genealogy sorting either,except for one small file. I need to go through everything,sort it all into orderly files,and check for missing items I need to discover. Then it all needs rewriting. The forms etc are all full of different coloured ink,crossings out,underlinings,query marks etc. Its a mess! I've got to keep in mind that my subscription for local records runs out in June,want to check out nearly 100 peoples records
    At least I've been for my walk this afternoon,30 mins. Started out marching downhill as quick as I could and then had the uphill stretch on return. Legs were slightly wobbly(well,morelike wet noodles) but I feel the better for it. Am yawning, feel like a doze,but I'm off to make Mr Dusty's tea.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Apr 18, 8:38 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,683 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the walk.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 10th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Morning!
    The ''Duck Pond'' has appeared in our front garden.There is a hollow which only fills with water once the ground is totally saturated from unceasing rain,and now its a couple of feet across and perhaps 2 inches deep.We have alternated days of torrential and persistent downpours with dry sunny days,but predominantly wet days.Last year we were cutting the grass in early March,this year it is so waterlogged I dont see Mr Dusty doing the mowing for a while,which he is happy aboutBut the garden is looking very messy.
    Got in a walk yesterday just round the nearby streets but no chance today,its chucking it down,I can barely see across the room its so dark. House is tidy,so I am doing no housework today,its too dark to see things properly and for some reson I dont like doing cleaning by artificial light unless absolutely necessary. Too dark to read easily,so a good excuse to come online . I'll clean out my emails( I did unsubscribe from a lot of sites,but still get quite a few emails a day.)Also got to check out LibraryThing,the site has been down since Friday,very annoying. Not that I've finished any books to add to my ''shelf'',because I am reading 6 books at once,its going to be a while finishing them,but they will all come to a close near each other,and then my pathetic two books read this month will look a lot more satisfactory. One book that I must concentrate and finish soon is Edgar Rice Burroughs The Chessmen of Mars,which is required by another reader in a matter of days.Online borrowing is for only 2 weeks instead of 3 I thought I could renew it,but someone wants it,their request appeared yesterday,so I have 2 days to finish. Oh well ,only about 130 pages,I can manage.
    Quicl check of other groups and sites,then it off to the kitchen. The lamb casserole is doing fine,I only have to do the roasties and veggies for Mr Dusty. I am in two minds between soup and baked cod. Oh do I long for lovely fish in crisp batter,its months since I had it If I can pull off losing that pound at SW to make my four stone,I think I will reward myself with the meal which has always been my fave since childhood. Ah,those were the days,very fresh fish and lovely batter,cooked of course in lard. Fish n' chips has never been the same since they changed over to using bland cooking oil!And a fish lot cost one shilling,old money,5p!! Of course prices have gone up,but thats the equivalent of only the purchasing power of 1.20 today,so it was a lot cheaper . We could eat it regularly. Ah the good old days..........

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 11th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    dustydigger
    family history - Yay! The birth certificate for my mysterious uncle whom I couldnt identify arrived,and my guesses were proved right. I can now add him to my family tree,plus his wife and her ancestors going back 3 generations.So satisfying filling the gaps
    finances - My CA was building up again,so I was able to transfer 100 to the bank! That makes 400 for the Emergency Fund (which I never had before,its such a relief to have something to fall back on!I'm aiming for 1000) and 300 (I am aiming for 800)in the Xmas Fund.
    Sorted out more paperwork,scratched out details and off it went in the recycle bin.
    Havent been out for a walk for a couple of days because of the atrocious weather.
    Really need to sort out exercise for bad weather.I'm a real couch potato,I need to get more exercise in my life The next big campaign!
    At least its stopped raining,making my visit to the DN this afternoon easier. I'm off now to get my clothes together,and find some shoes with a small heel. Last time I went she lectured me disapprovingly that I was wearing very flat shoes,saying it wasnt good for my feet. Considering it was only 4 months after my second knee op and I was still in agony even trying to walk she was lucky I wasnt wearing slippers rather than my most comfortable shoes.
    No wonder what with her telling me I was diabetic,a bolt out of the blue,and moaning about my shoes my blood pressure was sky high. First two arm bands didnt fit or didnt work,so she took me off to this other machine way down the hall and in public,limping on my stick,and my BP was 170/97,normally its around 136/72. In the end she didnt record that figure
    So this time,wear correct shoes,and I'll arrive early so as to sit a while and breathe deeply to calm my BP. At least walking now doesnt feel like being stabbed in the knees! I am well over 3 stones less in weight,so fingers crossed for a good outcome.
    For some reason they didnt ask for urine sample last time,taking it today,so that will mean another appointment to discuss that.Our surgery is always chaotic.I just got an appointment for a smear test again. Last year, early 2017, I patiently explained I had had a total hysterectomy,did I really need it. Woman very surprised, said had no notes about said op,which had taken place Nov 2015. Heaven knows what happened to my notes,and here we are again. Cant be bothered to phone about it,will tell the secretary on my way out,so as not to raise my BP too much before seeing the nurse.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,683 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the EF.
    Hope appointent goes well.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,683 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the EF.
    Hope appointent goes well.

***Keep plodding***
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 11th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 2,277 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    You are so organised and I am so impressed.
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 12th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    dustydigger

Well,I had my test results,and the diabetic nurse was pleased,impressed,and pretty stunned actually.Boy,am I relieved and can hardly believe it
    blood pressure target 140/80 - achieved 128/69
    cholesterol target 5 - achieved 3.3
    BMI was 40,now 31.6 (aiming for 25 eventually)

weight loss 3st 12 lbs
    triglycerides,etc - normal.
    And the all important HbA1c? Last year was 49 now I am at 37,well down into the healthy low sugar normal range.

Not all unalloyed joy though,apparently I have an underactive thyroid.which probably explains the spate of ill health with infections etc lately. And perhaps why though doing everything the same as always I am not losing any weight .Hypothyroidism apparently is a hindrance to weight loss,since the thyroid gland has a major function in regulating metabolism.
    I have to go back in 3 months and be tested for thyroid antibodies,then I would probably be on medication for life. Nothing I can do in the matter of food etc. My own immune system is as ever attacking my body,has been most of my life,right from the rheumatic fever when I was 17,which caused my crippling arthritis
    But for now I am rejoicing over my fab diabetes results.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    redofromstart
    oh those are brilliant results, shows just how much changing what you eat can achieve. Well done you!

I am now craving fish and chips
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 12th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 6,159 Posts
    • 22,448 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon DD,

Ive been following your diary but not posted on here before.

I have an underactive thyroid too and am on thyroxine for life. I was diagnosed at 31 with it so quite worrying at such a young age. Do you feel tired? The thyroxine definitely helps with that but the weight is hard to shift even nearly 3 years in for me!

Great news on the other results though, well done xx
    Mummytogirls x

23164.32 - 12/12/10
    5419.83 - 08/04/18 - 76.61% paid off
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 12th Apr 18, 8:45 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 2,277 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Under active thyroid here also. Weight loss is really hard and the dry skin conditions/thinning hair/brittle nails/etc etc are an ongoing nuisance.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Apr 18, 9:11 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,683 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great results for you.

***Keep plodding***
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 12th Apr 18, 9:34 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Hi,mummytogirls,thanks for visiting.You were unlucky to be afflicted so young,but apparently even children can be diagnosed at times!.And its pretty annoying that up to 15 times as many women as men get it!My sister had it in a severe form for years,but I never knew much about it,never realized that the symptoms pointed to thyroid problems. We certainly live and learn

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 14th Apr 18, 8:57 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Not been on much,am not very well,horrible cystitis refusing to go away,and the ear that caused so much trouble last time is very tender,hard and throbbing,really hope I am not going to have a repeat of that rotten time last month. The nurse only gave me 3 days antibiotics,and it doesnt seem to have fully worked.
    I put on 1/2 lb yesterday at SW,now halfway at 3 st12 1/2lbs loss between the 3st 11 1/2 lbs loss and 3 st 13 1/2 lbs loss,getting pretty sick of seeing those same figures repeatedly for 11 weeks
    At least now I understand why,which is a bit of a help in accepting it,but I need to research the situation and make plans.
    I have had the tribe all day since 12 noon,and the last two finally left. I am making Mr Dusty tikka masala,and then I'm off to bed. Been awake since 5 am!
    At least I have raised my total books read to 4/12,but a long way to go there.
    And I cashed out 15 from Top Cashback,my first rewards,so that was good!!
    Hope to have a quiet day tomorrow without visitors,and hope to come on here then. Plus want to go for a walk. So wanted to get out today,but visitors the whole day!.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 15th Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Under active thyroid here also. Weight loss is really hard and the dry skin conditions/thinning hair/brittle nails/etc etc are an ongoing nuisance.
    Originally posted by Sayschezza
    Oh boy,I have all of those,had been blaming the diabetes or old age
    And now I notice,my eyebrows are definitely thinning out. I rarely examine myself in the mirror,too depressing,so I missed it

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 15th Apr 18, 8:10 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    dustydigger
    All my good intentions to spend a nice relaxing afternoon on here went pear shaped.I am still suffering the cystitis,though the ear is slightly improved. Also there is a family crisis involving GD2,who has had to move home with her two kids because of a vile ex partner who thinks restraining orders are a joke.Nuff said,but its all very stressful for the whole family.DD1 s house is now full to the brim with herself,3 daughters and two babies under 17 months,plus a myriad of baby toys and equipment!
    End of fortnight purse emptying yielded a princely 2.67. But it was my tougher fortnight with all the DDs etc,and probably 20 in silver has gone into the various pots and the credit union,so thats fine.And the better fortnight is waiting to kick off tomorrow.
    Feeling poorly and stressed,and after making Mr Dusty's supper I think I'll be off to bed early.Did that last night,and woke at 2 a.m.,and didnt go back to sleep for hours,woke again at 5.30,dozed off again later,then slept in till 8.30. Mr Dusty didnt get his porridge till 9.30,and I have been behind with everything the whole day
    New fortnight starts tomorrow,hope its better than this last one,too many thrills and spills and problems for my taste!
    Never opened a book the whole day,and let me tell you that is almost unthinkable for me. I only have 60 pages left to read in one book,I would really like to finish it tonight,but looking a bit unlikely. 8pm and I am yawning continuously with watering eyes
    Last edited by dustydigger; 15-04-2018 at 8:13 PM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 16th Apr 18, 10:01 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Sad week of remembrance for me. Today was my sister's birthday,and 22nd is my other sister's birthday. I will try to get up to the cemetery one day during the week,if I could get rid of this wretched cystitis.
    There is a road diversion here at the moment,many buses are not passing through our area at all,they have irregular shuttle buses which connect with the normal buses over 1.5 miles away. Then I would need to get off the second bus and its a 10 minute walk to the cemetery,so its not the easiest place to get to.But there is a bench just beside the tree overlooking the grave,and it is so peaceful. Its on a hillside on the edge of the town. so you have a wonderful view of rolling hills.Its a place to soothe the soul.
    Mind you the place is probably a quagmire,the amount of rain we've had lately. And its still freezing,yesterday might have been sunny for a while,but those east winds made it feel barely above freezing! I went for a very short walk,but came back feeling chilled to the bone.
    My sisters' ashes are buried in my parents' grave in the town where my father is born.
    My grandparents,uncles,aunts,cousins and brother are all buried there too! Its a place of family reunion really,and as a family history student I feel a affinity for the place!
    But its a funny feeling being the very last one of my generation left.Not exactly cheering!

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 16th Apr 18, 10:22 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    dustydigger
    .Busy morning cleaning hob and benches,doing a load of washing,unpacking the Asd@ delivery,wrestling to get everything in the freezer. I still have all my GD stuff,then my other daughter forgot her shopping when she went home so I had to squeeze that in too!
    Off now to hang out all the sheets. Hoping Mr Dusty will iron them later
    Still a bit beef casserole left for dinner,with cabbage and carrots for Mr Dusty. I think I will be eating mostly vegetable soup and salads this week in a desperate attempt to lose weight.Yesterday was a shocking day I felt starving all the time,and kept nibbling at things in the fridge.Got to get my mind focused.
    Finished that book at 5 a.m. since I couldnt sleep.Thats 5/12 books read,and I'm part way through several others
    Mr Dusty has gone off to town to collect our new fortnights dosh. Waiting to see how much wonderful rise we get. The window cleaner has already raised his price,as has the hairdresser,and the water company
    I'll post the new budget after dinner.Not four days late as has happened recently
    Now to hang out the sheets and mop the kitchen floor before starting the potatoes and veg.
    I am having cod,because I couldnt squeeze another thing in the freezer!

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 16th Apr 18, 7:59 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Right,here is my budget for this fortnight. This is the saving fortnight,with fewer bills,so I will be able to allocate 90 to the various savings funds

Income:291 from Mr Dusty,plus 71 my pension total - 362 (4 a week rise)

outgoings 16th Apr - 29th Apr
    life insurance - 20
    Passport fund - 10 (now 40)
    GD3s Birthday - 25
    Water Aid dd - 3
    Save the Children dd - 3
    hair trim - 6
    Asd@ home delivery - 57
    Slimming World - 10
    total : 134
    -------------------------------
    household budget - 141 (in cash)
    -------------------------------
    total income - 362
    total outlay - 275
    surplus 87

so I'll send 90 straight off to the bank
    i expect to have a good month with the Sealed Pot and I have quite a bit of silver sorted for the credit union,so I expect to save well over 100 in total
    My sons usually alternate in paying the 47 for a SW countdown,but to my shame I never lost an ounce in the last 12 weeks,so I will pay for myself for a few weeks.Two more weeks after this one will make a complete year.If I cant find a way out of this awful rut I will probably give up for about 6 months,try to stabalize my weight as it is now,then perhaps start again,But with all the stress in my life right now,both family and health issues, I dont want to punish myself for no reward. We'll see!
    Last edited by dustydigger; 16-04-2018 at 8:07 PM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    SW loss - 4 stone

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 52,680 Posts
    • 206,683 Thanks
    beanielou
    Savings looking good

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,420Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin