Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the26thchoice
    • By the26thchoice 20th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 11Thanks
    the26thchoice
    Going part time at work
    • 20th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    Going part time at work 20th Jan 18 at 8:35 PM
    Hi All !!!128578;

I used to be a very regular poster, then shut down my account for various reasons but I'm back!! And in need of the advice that I know only my trusted Old Stylers can offer!

So, after a very stressful few years of threatened redundancy, several TUPEs, employer liquidation and my own serious health issues, I have decided to take the plunge and go part time. Dropping from 37 hours to 18.5 hours. Starting in February. And I'm starting to SLIGHTLY panic. Hubby earns a fairly okay wage of 26k, and my wage will be just under 12k so we won't be broke exactly but I need some plans on how to save money!

So looking for tips and ideas really:

- I will be starting to shop at cheaper supermarkets so probably Aldi or Lidl looking to reduce my weekly food bill from 80-100 its for three of us, although with a landscaper hubby and teenage son, they do get through some food!!
    - I already do a vague meal plan but this often goes out of the window after a long day at work when I spy a take away leaflet! So will be cutting out take aways, being more on the ball with meal planning and generally stricter
    - I will be looking to reduce our insurance bills come March/April so hopefully will reduce some costs a little there.
    - I have started using a few apps such as shopmium and receipt hog to try and save whilst I spend etc I know they won't make my fortune lol but every little helps!

So - any ideas? How do you best save money? Small ideas to big ideas, everything gratefully received! Anything to relieve my anxiety really!! Have any of you also taken the plunge and gone part time - how did you find it?

(Hoping it's okay to post this here!)
Page 2
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 23rd Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 20,160 Posts
    • 33,383 Thanks
    Spendless
    Am very envious (not of the ill health reasons obvs) of people who could find part time work or reduce their hours, I wasn't able to.

I very much wanted to work p-time when the kids were younger. I had my elderly Nan I helped out with and a husband who works away with no set pattern. Unfortunately where I live, the p-time jobs weren't within the hours I could find childcare for and the Mon-Fri 9-5 p-time jobs barely existed. Unless you work within the public sector or can negotiate after maternity, neither of which applied to me, they barely exist here.

I found one once but that went from 13 hours to 30 within 15 months and I was still the only part-time worker there. The place closed down after I'd been there 18 months. After 6 months out of work I found an ad-hoc job instead and did that as an alternative to not finding part-time for 3.5 years, then they had a re-structure (and kept me in the dark about it), so another 6 months out of work, by which time it was affecting my mental health, so I applied and got a full-time job and 18 months on here I still am. I think I like my f-time wages too much now to think about looking for a part-time one - kids are teenagers now and Nan in a nursing home so little reason for me to take one.
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 23rd Jan 18, 10:21 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 8,917 Thanks
    wondercollie
    I went the other way. Part time shift work to full time day shift. The big bonus for me is I get every weekend off.

17 years of every other weekend and rotating shifts were taking a toll on my health.

Now, on my lates, I'm home by 730pm. I don't have traffic to fight. I don't have to say no to things on the weekend.

Yes, we meal plan more but I spend less on somethings and more on fuel and parking but so far it seems to be balancing.

Oh, and in a strange way, I get more paid time off. All of what you would call bank holidays, I now get the day off with pay (before I just lost the wages and had to pick up a shift on another ward or day). I get personal leave days.

I think I've finally found the rare nursing job that actually has work/life balance that my employer keeps spouting off about.
    • timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 24th Jan 18, 8:34 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    Spendless, I think we only manage it because we don't have kids. I help support my mum a little financially, but on tighter months (every single January ever) it's only us that feel the pinch, and we don't mind.

For lots of people, a full time job is a great healthy challenge and can be uplifting. There were times I loved it, but when education changed (I don't mean planning or hours or red tape or even ofsted, I mean the decline in collaboration and the increase in competition, the dog eat dog stuff) it got more and more detrimental to my mental health, and so I'm out of mainstream education and unlikely to ever go back. That decision meant some other decisions (like not having children, which had always terrified me anyway to be honest- they come out of WHERE?), so the pay off is a non conformist quiet little life, just husband, me and the dog. Is not for everyone, for sure, but what is?
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 24th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 959 Posts
    • 23,100 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I'd echo most of the above, I gave up a really well paid job that I hated to become self-employed and work part time, two years ago. I should add that I'm fortunate enough to have paid off my mortgage, as my work now is unpredictable.

My income dropped by 2/3 but I can honestly say I don't miss it, I do wonder what I used to do with all that money! Well, apart from overpayments on the mortgage, it mostly went on: tax, travel costs, clothes and shoes for work, 'treats' because I was so fed up at work, online supermarket shopping because I didn't have time to shop ... and so on.

I now shop at Lidl, buy clothes from CSs and make my own, cook everything from scratch, garden, and enjoy the simpler things in life.

What I would say is that you really need to budget for some non-essentials, I started off with a very strict regime and soon realised this wasn't how I wanted to live. As others have posted above, there are cheaper ways to have holidays, takeaways etc but you do need some 'fun' stuff, especially with a teenager. I still manage meals out, cinema trips, and pursuing my hobbies, I just do it a bit less frequently or more thriftily.

Life is for living, and I feel sure you won't regret your move. You can't put a value on time. Good luck.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 25th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,771 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You have one life, so live it.

I too, dropped days. As a Civil Servant in 2012, I went from 37 hours to 32 over four days. I have m.e and fibromyalgia. At the same time, I was in the middle of a dmp. I was really concerned as to how we would manage financially but as my DH pointed out, I would be working one day less a week, one day less of packed lunch and sorting clothes out for work but furthermore would gain one day of my life back.
    Originally posted by CurlyTop
    Thank you for posting. I am currently looking to drop hours. It did not occur me to request 32 hours over 4 days. A day off per week Sounds perfect for me as F/T is 35 hours for me, so asking for 32 hours I will only lose 3 hours pay and only need work an extra hour a day. This will be the starting point for my negotiations
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 26th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    Thank you for posting. I am currently looking to drop hours. It did not occur me to request 32 hours over 4 days. A day off per week Sounds perfect for me as F/T is 35 hours for me, so asking for 32 hours I will only lose 3 hours pay and only need work an extra hour a day. This will be the starting point for my negotiations
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Best of luck. I hope you get it. We have to explain why we are dropping hours and the business impact. As this was a health reason, the groundwork was there but also you could say that whilst you are in effect dropping a day you are working more hours on the days you are in and so the impact to the business is minimal. If your employer is hesitant, suggest a trial period to see if this works for both sides.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 28th Jan 18, 3:48 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,771 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks Curlytop. Most helpful.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 31st Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    The26thchoice, forgot to mention this one, but Sainsbury's for clothes is a good way to save. Every half term they have a 25% off, and usually just after a half price sale as they rotate stock. If there's something I particularly like, I'll get if at 25% off because you can't guarantee what will be in the half price sale, but for basics there's usually something in the sale, and they last well too.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 31st Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 3,989 Posts
    • 13,574 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    It's very heartening to read these stories.

Everyone I know who earns a lot, spends a lot and is really stressed and miserable.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 1st Feb 18, 2:05 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    It's very heartening to read these stories.

Everyone I know who earns a lot, spends a lot and is really stressed and miserable.
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    OVJ, never have such truer words been spoken. I hear them grumbling all the time in work about how fed up they are, how the job tires them out etc. This is what I tell myself when I'm having my 'wobble' moments
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • FrugalWeirdo83
    • By FrugalWeirdo83 3rd Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    FrugalWeirdo83
    I work 30 hours a week over 4 days which is still more than I would like but I'm a single mum on a low income so I have to be realistic . However my daughter starts school next year and I want to be able to pick her up from school so I'm considering working 5 days but less hours and dropping them a bit more down to 27 hours. I'm spending this year seeing if it's possible!
    Sealed pot challenge 196
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 3rd Feb 18, 8:03 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 8,372 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Hi, I have just dropped from 100% full time to four days 80% part time. Due to health. And I am loving the extra long weekend. Work know that my aim is to only work three days 60% and then get well enough to come off my medicines. We have staggered the drop as really they need me there full time (we have recently lost two members of staff). This I am happy about as it is helping me to manage my work diary and workload, also it is allowing me time to adjust to the lower salary.
    The drop from 100% to 80% has not been too much of a financial hit, because I was saving the around 20-25% of my net salary each month plus the tax etc has reduced. For me it is getting the outgoings in order so that I can make the next drop and continue to save. I do not want to dip into the safety net.
    Hubby and I already do ys/frugal food shopping, home/batch cooking, fruit growing, use voucher or offers when eating out or going away etc. We are having raised beds put into the garden so that I can do more vegetable growing. I now do my own pedicure saving 20 every eight weeks. I have made a conscious choice that I will not waste money on buying brand new books and full priced DVDs. I use the library and charity shops.I am no longer going to buy expensive hand washes. I am going to use all my toiletries before I buy anymore, (I received lots for birthday and Christmas). We don not go silly at Christmas but I am going to have to have some chats with my family about how much we spend.
    I want to use my extra time growing more healthy chemical free food and spending more quality time with my husband, siblings and elderly mum, dad, aunts and uncles.
    Good luck the26thchoice on you life changing decision. I hope it works out for the best for you.
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 03-02-2018 at 8:15 PM.
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - 500 +
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 2280/6,000
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Feb 18, 7:02 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,771 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hi, I have just dropped from 100% full time to four days 80% part time. Due to health. And I am loving the extra long weekend. Work know that my aim is to only work three days 60% and then get well enough to come off my medicines. We have staggered the drop as really they need me there full time (we have recently lost two members of staff). This I am happy about as it is helping me to manage my work diary and workload, also it is allowing me time to adjust to the lower salary.
    The drop from 100% to 80% has not been too much of a financial hit, because I was saving the around 20-25% of my net salary each month plus the tax etc has reduced. For me it is getting the outgoings in order so that I can make the next drop and continue to save. I do not want to dip into the safety net.
    Hubby and I already do ys/frugal food shopping, home/batch cooking, fruit growing, use voucher or offers when eating out or going away etc. We are having raised beds put into the garden so that I can do more vegetable growing. I now do my own pedicure saving 20 every eight weeks. I have made a conscious choice that I will not waste money on buying brand new books and full priced DVDs. I use the library and charity shops.I am no longer going to buy expensive hand washes. I am going to use all my toiletries before I buy anymore, (I received lots for birthday and Christmas). We don not go silly at Christmas but I am going to have to have some chats with my family about how much we spend.
    I want to use my extra time growing more healthy chemical free food and spending more quality time with my husband, siblings and elderly mum, dad, aunts and uncles.
    Good luck the26thchoice on you life changing decision. I hope it works out for the best for you.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    I too have just reduced from 5 days to 4 days. It will officially begin in April. I am allowed to work 2 days in the office and 2 days from home. I'm a little worried about the income reduction as there is just me but I am heartened to hear you managed it so well. Thank you.
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 10th Feb 18, 10:19 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 8,372 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I too have just reduced from 5 days to 4 days. It will officially begin in April. I am allowed to work 2 days in the office and 2 days from home. I'm a little worried about the income reduction as there is just me but I am heartened to hear you managed it so well. Thank you.
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Just think, one day less travel, less work clothes ( I try and wear my bottoms for two days so only two changes of work bottom needed in a week).
    Try and adjust your spending now and if you haven!!!8217;t got anything to pay off put the differential for Feb and March away.
    I have worked out my budget for the year on my new salary. Now I need to do it for the 60% salary.

Other changes -Andrex toilet paper to Lidl toilet paper
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 10-02-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 11th Feb 18, 8:48 AM
    • 959 Posts
    • 23,100 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    IT might be a 20% reduction in your gross income, but in real terms it will be much smaller - you'll pay less tax, and as Gem-gem says, you'll be spending less on travel and clothes. And the time you gain is priceless, although I'm sorry to say that you probably won't get as much done as you think!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • utopiah
    • By utopiah 11th Feb 18, 10:16 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    utopiah
    I have also reduced my hours this year form 38hrs to 28hrs. I haven't lost as much money as I thought I would as I no longer pay tax (50 under threshold). I also have time to look for deals, meal plan, go to different supermarkets to pick up offers etc. Weekends are no longer spent cleaning, shopping or batch cooking. I do all this in the week which frees hubby up to have a more relaxing weekend. I also walk to work now as i don't feel as tired. I save more on packed lunches as now just eat whatevers in fridge or cupboard whereas before i was buying things to eat specifically for my lunch. We still have a mortgage and manage to op but i can honestly say we dont feel any worse off than before. I guess we just have more time to be frugal.
    Mortgage Jan 2015 66,737.98 Now 21,905.97
    MFW 2018 target 10000/6945

MFD was JUNE 2028 now Sept 2021
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 3,147 Posts
    • 15,771 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I have worked out my budget for the year on my new salary. Now I need to do it for the 60% salary.
    How are you getting on downshifting the additional 20%Gem Gem?
    I only have a few weeks left of a F/T salary. I currently pay for a weekly pass but as I will only be in the office 2 days a week I am thinking of paying fares for 2 days and setting myself a challenge to walk/cycle everywhere within a 5 mile radius on days not in the office. That would save me 12 a week
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 4th Mar 18, 5:59 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 8,372 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Haven't spoken to family yet regarding cutting down - hopefully seeing siblings either at Mother's day or Easter.
    Car - my car is 5 years old (only 24,000 miles on the clock) Hubby's car is 7 years old with (40,000) on the clock - he will get wis freedom pass this year - so I am wondering a) do we need both cars if I am am only working 3 days - should we sell one? b) shall we keep both but when the time comes not replace it - then downshift to one car?
    Looking at what I am happy to down shift on eg expensive hand washes/ shower gels /jeans/ face washes - what I call consummerables but not deep hair conditioner/ face cream or good quality shoes, which can affect your body. Deep hair conditioner / face cream ( hubby bought me for Xmas - so presents will become more needs rather than wants.
    This year I have worked my budget out on 80%. What I need to do is reset the budget to 60% by April and start to live off it and save the rest and see how I feel.

See that you are going to walk. Work is two miles away, sometimes I am in the office all day. Other times I am out and about. If on the days that I am only in the office - I should walk in. I will trial it because April I have to sign up for the car park again - cost 100 a year to have. (Which is a bargain - It is 5 a day if paying daily).
    It is all about choices. How much do I want to cut my hours down?
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 04-03-2018 at 6:04 PM.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 4th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    • 2,830 Posts
    • 8,372 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Haven't spoken to family yet regarding cutting down - hopefully seeing siblings either at Mother's day or Easter.
    Car - my car is 5 years old (only 24,000 miles on the clock) Hubby's car is 7 years old with (40,000) on the clock - he will get wis freedom pass this year - so I am wondering a) do we need both cars if I am am only working 3 days - should we sell one? b) shall we keep both but when the time comes not replace it - then downshift to one car?
    Looking at what I am happy to down shift on eg expensive hand washes/ shower gels /jeans/ face washes - what I call consummerables but not deep hair conditioner/ face cream or good quality shoes, which can affect your body. Deep hair conditioner / face cream ( hubby bought me for Xmas - so presents will become more needs rather than wants.
    This year I have worked my budget out on 80%. What I need to do is reset the budget to 60% by April and start to live off it and save the rest and see how I feel.

See that you are going to walk. Work is two miles away, sometimes I am in the office all day. Other times I am out and about. If on the days that I am only in the office - I should walk in. I will trial it because April I have to sign up for the car park again - cost 100 a year to have. (Which is a bargain - It is 5 a day if paying daily).
    It is all about choices. How much do I want to cut my hours down?
    Ps: I know that I can do it short term but what about long term? - I am frugal through choice but it allows me to be extravagant in other ways/ travel to some amazing places eg see polar bears in their natural environment. I enjoy the challenge/ Chase of a bargain but will I if it wasn't a choice? I need to prove to myself that I can still save on 60% so that if i Need to replace something I can without hitting my savings / still travel (okay with it not being so often).
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 4th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 18,797 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Moneywise I am sure it will not be a problem, as you will have more time for thriftiness. Workwise, however, may be different.

I work as an Assistant to a member of the Exec Team and went from 100% to 80% on a government scheme (in Belgium, called time credit, where govt pays me EUR107/month for staying at home 1 day a week to take care of my child under 8). I had an Assistant colleague, and she was given a promotion last year (overdue - she deserves it!). Now, the work of 10 days (2 ft), needs to be done in 4. Trainees/temps/students/colleagues have been promised, but were never actually searched for or hired.

I am off on Wednesdays, because dds school has a halfday then, which is slapbang in the middle of my working week, and not he best for the job. I do some thrifty stuff in the morning, then bake pancakes for dds and friends and spend the afternoon with them, building memories . They are my focus, I am as loyal to my job as the job is to me (- not, they would fire me at the blink of an eye if it suited them).

Sorry, I did not mean to rain on your parade. I think I just want you to make sure that the job can actually be done in the lesser time, and that you have the guts to say: these are my hours, they have now finished, see you tomorrow!
    Last edited by Siebrie; 04-03-2018 at 9:38 PM.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 549.29 = 483.30
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68= 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31= 2,969.05
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

65Posts Today

2,585Users online

Martin's Twitter