Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 20th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 60,313Posts
    • 42,970Thanks
    soolin
    dispatch times and sales
    • 20th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    dispatch times and sales 20th Jan 18 at 9:47 AM
    I've seen a few discussions on other boards about whether having the ebay premium service logo on items helps to sell, or whether the TRS malarkey is a waste of time and I was always undecided about the effect it had on my sales.

Due to work and not wanting to get up at silly O clock to print my labels I have been extending my dispatch time to 2 or 3 days since Christmas, and then switching back to 1 day when I know I can make the Post office daily. For me in these past 2 and a bit weeks it has made a noticeable difference, as soon as I switch to 1 day dispatch and show the premium service logo my sales tend to increase three fold. Whether this is just a co incidence or not I obviously can't be sure but not having the logo seems to seriously affect my sales.

It could just be that ebay are actively promoting the fast dispatch items in Best match, which is what they say they do or whether it is because buyers like to see the logo I don't know and would be interested in other people's experience.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 3
    • RFW
    • By RFW 22nd Jan 18, 1:17 PM
    • 8,692 Posts
    • 5,062 Thanks
    RFW
    Apart from the fact that I don't recall the last time I had a franked ebay parcel - (probably because I tend to use only business sellers who use online labels) this discussion does throw up some other interesting points.

I do have a Crown Post office that is open on a Sunday and on occasions I used to take post to be dropped off and receipted on Sunday thinking that my buyers would benefit, especially if I wasn't going to be able to get to the PO on a Monday. I assumed that buyers would think that was a good thing for a seller to have done, I never realised it made me look like a liar if it showed as dispatched on that date. Perhaps this shows that as sellers what we sometimes think is good customer service could easily count against us!
    Originally posted by soolin
    I use franking, it doesn't necessarily save me money but certainly saves me time, especially when dropping off. Most of my sales go via Amazon fulfillment so stuff I send myself can be quite erratic.

As for anyone being bothered when an item is despatched, most buyers will only care about that if it's late. I bought a fair amount of stuff around Christmas online as I was too busy to go out shopping. I only noticed despatch days on ones that made me say "Blimey, I bought that a week ago, what've they been doing with it?".

If I buy something on a Friday I expect it on Tuesday at the earliest. If I get it on a Monday I'll be pleased, if I haven't got it by Thursday I'll be checking if it's been marked as despatched.

The easiest way to make sure I'm not printing orders out twice is to mark them as despatched (both on Amazon and Ebay). On Ebay you used to be able to personalise despatch emails and I had on them that items were getting ready to be despatched.
    • Camman123
    • By Camman123 9th Feb 18, 9:36 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Camman123
    In my opinion, a faster dispatch makes the world of difference from a buyers perspective. It's why services like Prime are so successful. Sure the music and videos are nice, but let's be honest, most people pay for that service because it allows for next day delivery. There are contributing factors to eBay as well which determine listing positions. I'm pretty certain the fast and free is a positive factor.
    • d123
    • By d123 25th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 7,219 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123

I do have a Crown Post office that is open on a Sunday and on occasions I used to take post to be dropped off and receipted on Sunday thinking that my buyers would benefit, especially if I wasn't going to be able to get to the PO on a Monday. I assumed that buyers would think that was a good thing for a seller to have done, I never realised it made me look like a liar if it showed as dispatched on that date. Perhaps this shows that as sellers what we sometimes think is good customer service could easily count against us!
    Originally posted by soolin
    Going back to my assertion about impossible dispatch times.

I ordered some phone parts yesterday, to be delivered by RM 1st Class. These were allegedly dispatched at 23:37 last night.

I would struggle with the concept that any post office was open at that time on a Saturday night...

PS
    The order was only placed at 22:22 so it's not like it's a delayed dispatch notification from earlier in the day when a PO may well have been open.
    ====
    • soolin
    • By soolin 25th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 60,313 Posts
    • 42,970 Thanks
    soolin
    Going back to my assertion about impossible dispatch times.

I ordered some phone parts yesterday, to be delivered by RM 1st Class. These were allegedly dispatched at 23:37 last night.

I would struggle with the concept that any post office was open at that time on a Saturday night...

PS
    The order was only placed at 22:22 so it's not like it's a delayed dispatch notification from earlier in the day when a PO may well have been open.
    Originally posted by d123
    As per all the previous emails, if seller is using online label printing via eBay then it is marked as dispatched when label is printed. I'm not sure how else to explain that that hasn't already been said before.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 25th Feb 18, 2:00 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    Tealblue
    In my opinion, a faster dispatch makes the world of difference from a buyers perspective. ...I'm pretty certain the fast and free is a positive factor.
    Originally posted by Camman123
    'Faster' dispatch doesn't normally bother me at all - but the 'free' in 'fast and free' is always attractive!
    • kangoora
    • By kangoora 25th Feb 18, 5:06 PM
    • 556 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    kangoora
    'Faster' dispatch doesn't normally bother me at all - but the 'free' in 'fast and free' is always attractive!
    Originally posted by Tealblue
    You do realise that 'free' isn't actually free?

Unless the seller is insane they know exactly how much the postage will cost them and that is factored into the price of the item. e.g.

Old comic book 4.99 Free postage ' fast and free'
    Same comic book 2.99 + 2 P&P

End result, you pay 4.99 whichever seller you use...........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,092Posts Today

6,947Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin