Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • travelling about
    • By travelling about 19th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    travelling about
    Opening a basic bank account or a savings account when not on the electoral roll?
    • 19th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    Opening a basic bank account or a savings account when not on the electoral roll? 19th Jan 18 at 7:25 PM
    Has anyone ever had any experience of opening a basic bank account or a savings account when not on the electoral roll?

Am currently staying temporarily with a relative and have moved my bank accounts to that address. However, as I expect to spend more than 6 months abroad during this year, I feel that I shouldn’t join the electoral roll there as I won’t be resident in the UK for enough time.

Nevertheless, before going abroad, I would like to open a basic bank account or a savings account with another bank if possible.

Has anyone ever managed to do this – i.e. opened one of these accounts when not on the electoral roll?

Do you have to explain to the bank you are opening the account with why you are not on the electoral roll?

I don’t mind which bank or building society I open the account with – so if anyone knows of which banks are the least demanding in these circumstances, that would be good to know.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 19th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 19,884 Posts
    • 15,596 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 19th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 19th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    Will you be living at your current address on October 10th? If so you must register then, so you might as well register now.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 19th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 1,119 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 19th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    • 19th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    What would be the drawbacks to registering on the electoral roll at your temporary address? None....as far as I can see.
    Benefits? A bank account.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 19th Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    • 24,625 Posts
    • 11,866 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 19th Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    • 19th Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    It is quite easy to open bank accounts without being on the electoral roll.
    Some may require one or two photo ID documents such as a driving licence and passport - electoral registration is used as a way to electronically ID you - sometimes it works, sometimes it does not and they ask you for ID anyway.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 20th Jan 18, 12:04 AM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 20th Jan 18, 12:04 AM
    • 20th Jan 18, 12:04 AM
    Will you be living at your current address on October 10th? If so you must register then, so you might as well register now.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    The register is no longer compiled on an annual basis, and the qualifying date of 10 October no longer applies.

Registration is now the responsibility of each individual voter. If you are eligible to vote, you should register whenever you change address. The easiest way to do this is on line.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 20th Jan 18, 9:52 AM
    • 19,884 Posts
    • 15,596 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 20th Jan 18, 9:52 AM
    • 20th Jan 18, 9:52 AM
    The register is no longer compiled on an annual basis, and the qualifying date of 10 October no longer applies.

Registration is now the responsibility of each individual voter. If you are eligible to vote, you should register whenever you change address. The easiest way to do this is on line.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Well I still got a letter in September last year saying that if the information on residents was not correct that it had to be updated, so if the OP's relatives get that letter this year then they will have to tell him to register at that time even if he hasn't already done so. Or can you point to something to show that 2017 was the last year in which those letters were sent?
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 21st Jan 18, 12:34 AM
    • 703 Posts
    • 508 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 21st Jan 18, 12:34 AM
    • 21st Jan 18, 12:34 AM
    I've opened accounts for people fresh off the boat/plane who have been UK resident for all of a day. (International students, for example, who have never been and never will be on the electoral roll). The current accounts (not even Basic) tend to open just fine. Don't worry.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 21st Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 21st Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    • 21st Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    Well I still got a letter in September last year saying that if the information on residents was not correct that it had to be updated, so if the OP's relatives get that letter this year then they will have to tell him to register at that time even if he hasn't already done so. Or can you point to something to show that 2017 was the last year in which those letters were sent?
    The system changed in 2014.

Voters should now register individuality whenever they move. There is no qualifying date.

The annual registration form has been been replaced by an annual Household Enquiry Form. This is used to identify changes in the register. On receipt, the Council will write to any new people identified to invite them to register.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/what-is-individual-electoral-registration
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 21st Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 19,884 Posts
    • 15,596 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 21st Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 21st Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    The system changed in 2014.

Voters should now register individuality whenever they move. There is no qualifying date.

The annual registration form has been been replaced by an annual Household Enquiry Form. This is used to identify changes in the register. On receipt, the Council will write to any new people identified to invite them to register.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/faq/voting-and-registration/what-is-individual-electoral-registration
    Right, so the OP will need to register then. Whatever the actual mechanism, the end result is the same.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 21st Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Right, so the OP will need to register then. Whatever the actual mechanism, the end result is the same.
    The end result is not the same.

Some householders did not complete registration forms or omitted people, leaving some people disenfranchised.

People moving had to wait until 10 October before registering at their new address. That has changed.
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 21st Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    IanManc
    The OP says he / she is "currently staying temporarily with a relative and have moved my bank accounts to that address".

I wonder if the reluctance to appear on the electoral roll might be due to the relative not wishing to lose their one quarter discount on their council tax for being a single household, which their guest's registration on the electoral roll would spoil?

Just and idea ....... otherwise what possible reason could there be for not wanting to register? After all, it only takes seconds to do it online.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 21st Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 19,884 Posts
    • 15,596 Thanks
    agrinnall
    The end result is not the same.
    You can split hairs for as long as you like, but the legal requirement is to be registered to vote. Anyone not registering who is eligible is in breach of the law.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 21st Jan 18, 5:05 PM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    Nick_C
    You can split hairs for as long as you like, but the legal requirement is to be registered to vote. Anyone not registering who is eligible is in breach of the law.
    Not splitting hairs. Simply taking time to explain the changes as a lot of people don't seem to understand them.
    • travelling about
    • By travelling about 9th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    travelling about
    Thanks for all your replies!!!

Re - council tax; that's not an issue as relative is not getting single person discount.

Reason for whether not sure should be on electoral roll is because I read up somewhere that you shouldn't be on the electoral roll if you are going to be out of the country for more than 6 months of the year. (on some council website - can't remember which one it was)

But what is their definition of "the year"? The tax year? The calendar year? Or the 12-month period from the date you move in?

I guess I could just join it and take myself off it when I go off travelling. However, I may be coming and going quite a bit. So would rather not have to do that every time.

Anyway, good to here you can bring in ID to open bank accounts if there are any issues due to not being on the electoral roll.
    Last edited by travelling about; 09-02-2018 at 7:43 PM.
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 9th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    stehouk
    if you have moved your bank accounts to your new address why do you need a basic account?
    basic accounts are for people that cannot get a standard current account for a number of reasons, a poor credit history being one example, they also have restrictions on spending ie no overdraft facility and some debit cards have to be topped up from the account before spending
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 9th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    stehouk
    i can reccomend the coop cashminder account. i used this account for several years while i i sorted my my finances out, but i wouldnt reccomend downgtading from a standard current account
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 10th Feb 18, 7:47 AM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    eDicky
    the legal requirement is to be registered to vote. Anyone not registering who is eligible is in breach of the law.
    What sort of penalty or other implications am I facing for not complying with this law (which I was unaware of)..?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 10th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 1,914 Thanks
    EssexExile
    https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 19,884 Posts
    • 15,596 Thanks
    agrinnall
    What sort of penalty or other implications am I facing for not complying with this law (which I was unaware of)..?
    Originally posted by eDicky
    As EssexExile has posted, £80 fine.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 10th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    tenchy
    Originally posted by eDicky

In reality - none.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

753Posts Today

6,055Users online

Martin's Twitter