Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Stephen B
    • By MSE Stephen B 19th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 9Thanks
    MSE Stephen B
    Economy Seven Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 19th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    Economy Seven Energy reviews: Give your feedback 19th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Economy Seven Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
Page 2
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Oct 18, 10:36 PM
    • 37,946 Posts
    • 22,061 Thanks
    Quentin
    Switching to a cheaper price plan is your only option if you choose a variable tariff.

You will need to switch every time the tariff increases (more often if another company brings out a cheaper tariff if you want to stay paying the least.

Only way to avoid this roundabout is to get a fixed tariff. Though that means paying higher prices at the outset.
    • theposhcat
    • By theposhcat 8th Oct 18, 1:08 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    theposhcat
    Price Rise already !!
    I have just signed up to switch to them and it went through on 1 October.

2 days later they told me that they are raising their prices by over 7%.

I can cancel with no fee so should I or is everyone going to be increasing?

Maybe just bad timing but feels a bit of a rip off.

Many thanks

Darren
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 8th Oct 18, 2:56 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    wavelets
    I have just signed up to switch to them and it went through on 1 October.

2 days later they told me that they are raising their prices by over 7%.

I can cancel with no fee so should I or is everyone going to be increasing?

Maybe just bad timing but feels a bit of a rip off.

Many thanks

Darren
    Originally posted by theposhcat
    If you have agreed to a variable tariff, then you should have been aware that you were risking an increase (or decrease) in tariff ant any time (subject to the notice required to be given)

Energy prices are currently on the increase generally, and have been for several months now, and that is why MSE & Martin have been banging the drum urging people to get onto a fixed tariff.
    • Puffer
    • By Puffer 23rd Oct 18, 3:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Puffer
    Beware of limitations!
    My annual consumption is about 7,500kWh elec and 60,000kWh gas. I am currently with Bulb - excellent service and has been a good price until the latest increase announced.

I tried to get an online quote from Eco7 and was told that it could not quote. I asked why via the 'chat' facility and was told (very promptly and apologetically) that 'We cannot support annual consumption of over 50k'. (Not sure if that means per fuel or overall, but clearly my likely 60k is unacceptable.)

I imagine that many other people with high usage will be excluded.

Maybe I need a bigger supply pipe for my gas!!
    • Conwyn
    • By Conwyn 10th Nov 18, 3:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Conwyn
    Eco 7 Energy
    I switched last April. Although there have been two price increases they are still cheap. They do respond to emails after a few days. The web site is perfectly acceptable to enter your readings monthly and they are used so you can avoid estimates. There is no exit fee. I have a E7 meter. It is easy to criticize the poor design of the web site but the purpose of "Money Saving" is money saving not opining on the small effort required to save money.
    • ecclebrick
    • By ecclebrick 11th Nov 18, 7:16 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ecclebrick
    I agree, but some things on the website are essential like indicating which meter reading box is for on peak and which is for off peak
    Get this wrong and you bill is wrong which causes chaos, I pointed this out to them and they fixed it by adding night, to the second box, only just showing Ni ... If they take out the word USAGE it would fit,
    I only offered constructed critism to help save to help them save future aggravation, I think their tariffs are very good.
    • Fiendish Astronaut
    • By Fiendish Astronaut 15th Nov 18, 1:19 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Fiendish Astronaut
    They've just sent me an email:

To avoid building up large credit balances in the summer and to ensure our customers do not fall into debt in the colder months, your new variable Direct Debit will be scheduled into two defined periods.

Between the months of April and September, you will pay a lower summer price and from October to March your payment will be amended to reflect your higher energy consumption.
    Basically the direct debit amount between October and March is double the DD between April And Sept. This also happens to increase the yearly amount by quite a large amount.

Very cheeky way to increase the fees but also what's the guarantee that when I get to April and start the "lower" fee they won't decide to up the price?
    • thefsg
    • By thefsg 15th Nov 18, 4:03 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    thefsg
    Direct Debits no longer static
    I've just received an email from Economy Seven Energy saying they are now going to charge different DD amounts in the Autumn/Winter and Spring/Summer periods (6 months each). In my case my annual costs of £1918.95, previously paid as 12 x £127.93, will now be paid as 6 x £223.88 plus 6 x £95.95 (comes to the same amount per year).

They are claiming that it is Ofgem that is forcing them to do this as Ofgem don't want people to build up debts on their accounts. This is false logic as people will still move from credit to debit under their new scheme, even if the amounts might be smaller. Their email says:

"As part of our obligations as an energy supplier and in accordance with Ofgem’s guidance, we are required to do all we can to limit the risk of customers accruing a debt on their account."

Is it really correct that Ofgem policy is causing this change and if so, will ALL OTHER PROVIDERS being doing the same?
    Last edited by thefsg; 15-11-2018 at 4:19 PM. Reason: Added further clarification
    • Norfolk girl
    • By Norfolk girl 15th Nov 18, 4:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Norfolk girl
    Direct Debits
    Have had emails from my supplier, Economy Seven Energy today. They are going to put payments up in Winter and down in Summer. My monthly payments are going up to £152 now from £86 then down to £65 from April. I can't afford £152! They talk a load of twaddle in the email about 'providing additional peace of mind' etc. Can enough customers complain about this please and get them to reverse this horrendous decision!
    • Norfolk girl
    • By Norfolk girl 15th Nov 18, 4:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Norfolk girl
    Direct Debits
    Just worked out that the new direct debits represent a 25% increase in monthly payments, when you average them out across the year! It seems that Economy Seven Energy are trying to do the exact opposite of what they claim in the emails: to build up large credits to fund their business!
    • Robert52A
    • By Robert52A 15th Nov 18, 5:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robert52A
    Have been with Economy7 Energy ( website, or Foxglove Energy on emails, or Fischer Energy for Direct Debit) since April 2 prices increase (not fixed) but still good price for me.Website basic but it works. Think the change of policy on Direct Debit over past 2 days is completely unacceptable. My estimated annual bill is £1900 current DD of £152. Since April have built up £320 credit which will reduce over the winter and be pretty close to a balance by end of March. They are now asking for for £267 a month until March. My guess depending on the vagaries of the English winter is that they will be hold even more of my money by then, maybe £500. I have told them it is unacceptable , by email, there telephones are on constant busy so probably they are getting their ears bent by many.
    • clairemarch78
    • By clairemarch78 15th Nov 18, 7:11 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clairemarch78
    Bloody cheek! DO NOT GO TO THEM
    I changed to eco 7 last month. Yesterday I received an email saying they are changing the direct debit from £208 a month to £356 a month until April. Who can afford a massive increase over the winter period??? Terrible service and just before a payment is due. I am switching AGAIN!!!!
    • JohnD49
    • By JohnD49 15th Nov 18, 7:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnD49
    With a proposed increase in monthly payments of £98 (when I am already £219 in credit) I, too, am incensed with this new policy of higher winter payments. I use much the same electricity both winter and summer, as I have no electric heating, and use an immersion heater for water in summer but not in winter. This balances out the increased lighting in winter. I have emailed to say I am refusing the new direct debit and suggest most other customers should do so too.
    Last edited by JohnD49; 15-11-2018 at 7:16 PM. Reason: omission of relevant figure
    • Marriedfor
    • By Marriedfor 15th Nov 18, 7:43 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Marriedfor
    We joined 'Economy' Seven earlier this year when Iresa ceased trading (ironically we never had a problem with Iresa ). We used their Foxglove website -which i agree does look like it was designed by a child! Initially the site wouldn't work to give us a quote either but i persevered and eventually got a dual fuel quote which seemed reasonable. The switch was fine (from Octopus as they had automatically been given Iresa's customers). We were confused as to who Economy Seven were and when I received an email from Fischer Energy confirming the switch and my details I became suspicious. An email was sent to Fischer enquiring about their involvement with Economy Seven and their explanation seemed reasonable. Up until today (15-11-18) we have been indifferent either way with Economy Seven's service. However, today I received an email from them telling me that our winter direct debits were going to go up and the summer direct debits were going to go down so to avoid "Bill Shock" after increased usage during the winter. The only shock i had today was reading that my DD was going to increase by 76% from £113pm to £198pm. (My summer DD would be reduced to £85pm). Surely the point of a fixed amount DD is to evenly budget through the year. My income doesn't increase by 76% in the winter!
    I have emailed them and asked them to review this DD policy and i await their response but my instinct is to switch again. Ill let you know the outcome......
    • Wild1
    • By Wild1 15th Nov 18, 8:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wild1
    Avoid Economy Seven - Shambolic at best
    I switched because they seemed cheapest on the Cheap Energy Club

The switch took far longer than previous switches, and I kept receiving emails asking for me to set up an account, give meter readings etc but the online site seemed to have a number of technical issues so I kept having to phone them.

I too have received an email where my annual projection has been increased by £250, although I have not been asked to submit meter readings, and my direct debit has been increased by 80% to avoid 'bill shock'! I'm switching back to one of the big 6
    Last edited by Wild1; 15-11-2018 at 9:59 PM.
    • Alfiedog12
    • By Alfiedog12 15th Nov 18, 9:35 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Alfiedog12
    Do not switch to eco7
    Just switched to Eco7 and have paid £151.00 for the first month, now been advised that I will be charged £264 per month over the winter period (they havenít even had meter reading yet)

They have totally mis-sold their product and choose not to advise customers of the change in payment at the time of switching. They advised they do not want customers to get into debt with their energy. Surely they are putting customers in a very difficult financial situation over the winter period by hiking monthly DD this way and could be forcing their customers into financial difficulty. I asked if I could pay the same monthly DD amount over 12 months to ensure it covered their estimated yearly cost, NO was the answer! I will definitely be switching.

Personally I think that Eco7 are a very small provider who need our money through the winter to help their cash flow for the increase in energy they need to provide. They are certainly not increasing DD to help the customer.
    • olympusmegavolt
    • By olympusmegavolt 15th Nov 18, 9:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    olympusmegavolt
    ANOTHER ANGLE
    I too have had an email notification regarding the increase in DD to compensate (in their favour) for the winter quarters.
    The next day, I had yet a new and increased revised DD, BUT this was based on a 25%increase in my estimated annual usage. (Unacceptable, but remember you have the right to ask for refunds if you stay in credit)
    Not best pleased! ; so to vent my frustration, I sent them an email requesting explanations for these increases together with queries regarding other, less major issues. I am awaiting their explanations.

I concluded that they must be strapped for cash as their prices are very competitive and are using these methods to prop up their finances.
    Rather than going into an instinctive ‘knee jerk’ reaction of condemning and moving, logic still told me that, even that I do not like what they appear to be doing, I am still better off financially than moving to another supplier.
    If there is a mass exodus and the company goes under, I would suspect there will be a lot of people, who, if they haven’t done their sums, will be the long term losers.

I do not particularly like the situation, but I think one should always look before you leap. You can always move at any time, when you have a cool head.
    • Robert52A
    • By Robert52A 16th Nov 18, 12:25 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robert52A
    Dealing with a fault
    Economy 7,(Fischer Energy Foxglove Energy).
    Besides the Winter Direct Debit situation I am still dealing with a very badly handled fault repair. I have had a long and frequent email and telephone contact but still not resolved .
    Our E7 Consumer Boards had no power available to them . This was reported to the 15 Oct. The first visit of engineers was finally planned for Sat 20 . It didn't take place once their Metering Service providers realised we were using 3phase supply. Economy 7 were apparently surprised that they were supplying energy to houses were they could offer no service in the event of a problem. The next week they spent trying to appoint a company with suitably qualified electricians to carry out the work. Finally told about Fri (26) lunchtime that they would be at our house later that day. We were expecting ,as advised by supplier, a new contactor and meter. 8.30 pm 2 guys arrived from Manchester at our rural Norfolk address. Fitted a new meter but not the contactor. Every knowledgeable person I spoke to said , 'It will be the contactor' They thought it would be fine. It wasn't. Also meter was recording all units only on 1 tariff, unlike our 'faulty' one they took away.They came back again ( Manchester -Norfolk-Return) on Monday. We were expecting the contactor and they said a Teleswitch. They replaced the Teleswitch with a secondhand Manweb unit. They said they tested the contactor and thought it was fine. They left. It wasn't .Still no power or heat on E7 circuits. Admitted they didn't have a contactor. So Thursday 1st just 1 guy (must be economising) left Manchester drove 'down south' collected a secondhand contactor came to Norfolk and fitted it. Back to Manchester. Guess what it was the contactor (everybody knew that) So 18 days loads of miles emails telephone calls the heating was on. But all is not well. The change of teleswitch has deprived us of our very useful EEB Split E7 Night Rate 2230 to 0030 and 0230 to 0730 GMT.I understand it is good for the efficiency of our Storage Radiators. Now our times are straight 0030 to 0730 Night rate. In addition the teleswitch only operates the contactor opening up the supply to the E7 boards. The meter lives in a world of its own . It records night rate as 2300 to 0600 GMT and its internal clock is an hour fast (still BST ?) So when all our storage rads are still busy heating their bricks from 0600 to 0730 the day meter reading is whizzing round recording expensive units.

Despite many emails and calls I have not had any indication of when and how they are going to rectify this situation. The last contact I had from then was Tuesday 6 Nov. Now ignoring emails.
    Then I get their Winter Boast to my Direct Debit an additional £100+ a month to my account which is already £300+ in credit.

Guess what , not very happy !! Apart from price have very little to offer. Staff are very nice to chat to as long as you don't expect solutions.
    • wilsonbird
    • By wilsonbird 16th Nov 18, 8:31 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wilsonbird
    Re Another Angle
    That is a sensible way of looking at it.
    I've only been with Eco7 for a couple of months and have received the same email.
    Looking at previous comments it seems to me Eco7 have realised people are unhappy with the price rises and are trying to raise their prices again through the back door. I personally would have preferred them to be honest - it makes sense that they have had a big increase in customers and they need more revenue to pay for the increased demand through the winter. It's a big increase tho bearing in mind the whole point of having a d/d plan is to spread your costs over the year.
    I telephoned them as the web chat/ email option wasn't working and was told they are reviewing cases that have a large credit balance and someone will be getting back to me.
    I can save £20 a year by switching but will wait until I hear back before deciding.
    • ecclebrick
    • By ecclebrick 16th Nov 18, 9:20 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ecclebrick
    DD increase .. !!
    Not happy about the DD adjustment ... I suspect they do not have a billing system capable of adjusting each customers DD in line with usage, so they are using a sledgehammer.
    I just had to ask for my DD to be put up myself to ensure the latest rise was covered, and now we have their answer to the problem.
    They already charge a month in advance, which is not normal practice, it's certainly suspicious of a company with cash flow problems, not doing it for the reasons given.
    I will be watching my credit closely, and writing to complain ..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,389Posts Today

7,509Users online

Martin's Twitter