Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jordpd
    • By jordpd 18th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jordpd
    PerfectHome Macbook Order
    • 18th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    PerfectHome Macbook Order 18th Jan 18 at 3:03 PM
    Hi all,

Just looking for some advised and where I stand legally.

I ordered a Macbook from Pefecthome and it was out for delivery today, I emailed them last night as I no longer wanted to go ahead with this agreement and wanted to return it or refuse delivery.

I have tracked my order and it has been delivered. The website states - Your delivery must be signed for by someone over the age of 18, they will need to be able to verify the details of your account and have a copy of your HP agreement at the time of delivery.

None of this happened and I am not in possession of the Macbook.

I did not give any permission or instructions to deliver to anyone else or a neighbor.

Where do I stand as I want to return it but I cant as I am not in possession of this and I have checked with my neighbors.

Is the agreement now void?
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 18th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 12,286 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 18th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 18th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    So what did perfecthome say when you informed them that the item never arrived and you wanted to cancel the agreement?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • jordpd
    • By jordpd 18th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jordpd
    • 18th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 18th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    They have raised this with DPD and will be take with me in 3-5 days.

Where do I stand if there site says I need to provide proof when it is delivered and someone else has signed for it?

They have cancelled my payment for now. Worried they will still try and force me to pay for the item even though it was never delivered correctly?
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 18th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    • 12,286 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 18th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    • 18th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    They have raised this with DPD and will be take with me in 3-5 days.

Where do I stand if there site says I need to provide proof when it is delivered and someone else has signed for it?

They have cancelled my payment for now. Worried they will still try and force me to pay for the item even though it was never delivered correctly?
    Originally posted by jordpd
    Thanks for that - helps us give better answers if we know what position the company has taken.

If they've stopped payments for now it sounds like they're taking your claim seriously so I'd wait and see what they come back with before worrying unnecessarily.

However, under the consumer rights act, goods remain at the retailers risk until the goods come into the physical possession of the buyer (or someone identified by the buyer as being authorised to receive on their behalf). As you didn't identify anyone, it would then be for the retailer to prove that you received them rather than for you to prove you didn't.

Side note....perfect home are advertising a 12" macbook at £25.39 per week. Another retailer have the same item for £1099 (might be cheaper elsewhere but cheapest I found at a glance). If you saved the £25.39 you would pay perfect home for 44 weeks, you'd have enough to buy it outright. In comparison, you'd have to pay perfect home £25.39 for 104 weeks - so 60 weeks longer/over £1540 more.

These companies are rip offs. If you need something urgently, try freecycle/gumtree/ebay to see if you can get a 2nd hand one free/cheap to use while you save up enough to buy the item outright.
    • jordpd
    • By jordpd 18th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jordpd
    • 18th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 18th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    Thank you for all this information, once I have a reply from them I will update the post.

Regarding me receiving the item, there site does state only someone with proof of the agreement can accept delivery, I never gave them any permission to let anyone else take delivery such as an a neighbor.

I have realised this, this is why I have cancelled the order or wanted too until this happened
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 18th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 12,286 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 18th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 18th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    Thank you for all this information, once I have a reply from them I will update the post.

Regarding me receiving the item, there site does state only someone with proof of the agreement can accept delivery, I never gave them any permission to let anyone else take delivery such as an a neighbor.

I have realised this, this is why I have cancelled the order or wanted too until this happened
    If it helps, because of the way the sale happened (pre-existing finance arrangements with someone who is not the seller - seller is Temple Retail Ltd while finance company is Temple Finance Ltd) you would also have protection under the Consumer Credit Act.

In other words, you're in a pretty good position so as I said above, try not to worry at this point
    • jordpd
    • By jordpd 29th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jordpd
    • 29th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    I have still had no update from Perfect Home but they have sent me a text message today asking to call to make payment or discuss payment options - even though in my complaint email I asked them to not charge me which they stopped.

I have emailed them back and said it is still being investigated.

My point is this is not my responsibility and I told them before delivery I did not want the item no more, what can I say to them to put an end to this?

I do not want them turning up to my house as I have not made a payment.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 29th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 997 Posts
    • 2,189 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 29th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    So where exactly is the item? Do you know? You say if shouldn't have gone to someone else, "such as a neighbour" but don't actually say that this is what has happened.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 29th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 10,390 Posts
    • 13,085 Thanks
    vikingaero
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    Perfect Home

Apple MacBook 12" Silver
    Manufacturer code: MNYH2B/A
    From only
    £25.39 per week
    Quantity 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1
    Choose your payment term

104 Weeks 52 Weeks Representative Example

Weekly payment £25.39 Price/amount of credit £1,467.00 Number of weeks 104 Rate of interest 40.1% p.a. fixed Representative 94.9% APR Total payable £2,640.56
    The man without a signature.
    • cookie365
    • By cookie365 29th Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 1,176 Thanks
    cookie365
    I can just about envision scenarios where buying a household neccessity like a basic cooker or washing machine through one of these stores is the best way.

But for luxurys like this? It's shameful that our education system has left so many people lacking the skills to see through these kinds of companys, and disgraceful that they're allowed to operate this way.

Having the thing misdelivered could be the best thing that's happened to the OP if it gives them a chance to cancel the order.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 29th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    It's shameful that our education system has left so many people lacking the skills to see through these kinds of companys
    Originally posted by cookie365
    Donít blame the schools people know whatís what but donít care all they want is the status symbol bling.
    • jordpd
    • By jordpd 6th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jordpd
    I did state in my first post that i wanted to cancel the order and refuse delivery of this, I emailed them to advised them of this.

So basically I have had a response about my complaint.

They have come back to me to stay that from time to time DPD with leave with a neighbor, even though there terms state this needs to be signed for but someone with a copy of the agreement.

I have no idea where to parcel is and the complaint response stayed they neighbor has told DPD someone collected the item, but this person was not me and I am not sure what has happened.

Not sure where to go with this, they are now trying to bill me for an item I still do not have. The reply from my complete mentions and iPad, i never ordered an iPad.

Where would you suggest I go from here?

The complaint letter does not really state much, just that my neighbor says its been collected. As far as I'm concerns its not been delivered as I do not have it.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 6th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,307 Thanks
    pappa golf
    I did state in my first post that i wanted to cancel the order and refuse delivery of this, I emailed them to advised them of this.

They have come back to me to stay that from time to time DPD with leave with a neighbor, even though there terms state this needs to be signed for but someone with a copy of the agreement.

I have no idea where to parcel is and the complaint response stayed they neighbor has told DPD someone collected the item, but this person was not me and I am not sure what has happened.

Not sure where to go with this, they are now trying to bill me for an item I still do not have. The reply from my complete mentions and iPad, i never ordered an iPad.

The complaint letter does not really state much, just that my neighbor says its been collected. As far as I'm concerns its not been delivered as I do not have it.
    sorted , there terms state that you must sign (or a over 18) with your HP papers

they have failed to adhere to there side of the agreement

how convenient that someone (un uniformed DPD person?) collected it

have you been given the neighbours name , have you spoke to them?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 6th Feb 18, 3:50 PM
    • 12,286 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    unholyangel

Reiterate both their own T&C's to them and also the consumer rights act - that goods remain at their risk until they enter the physical possession of you or someone identified by you.

Perhaps ask them if they have the serial number and then suggest they contact apple and see if it has been registered to anyone yet. Don't do it over the phone either, put it in writing to them (even email).

Contact the finance company as well and tell them you would like to start a section 75 claim as the goods have not been delivered. If they refuse your s75 claim, complain to the financial ombudsman.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,695Posts Today

7,495Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin