Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Percyqted
    • By Percyqted 17th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Percyqted
    Barclaycard Platinum Travel Card
    • 17th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    Barclaycard Platinum Travel Card 17th Jan 18 at 8:10 PM
    I ordered a Platinum travel card in November using the links from MSE. It is supposed to be free of fees until 2022. I've used it twice now to order things from USA in Dollars and both transactions have attracted a foreign currency fee of 2.99%. On speaking to their customer service both by e-mail and phone the best they can tell me is I must order another Travel card using the same site I ordered the first one from, apparently the one I have isn't a travel card. How can I tell the next one WILL be a travel card BEFORE I use it on my upcoming USA trip? I don't want to find unexpected fees of 60 or more waiting for me on return. This of course is doing nothing to help my credit score.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 16,353 Posts
    • 17,371 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    I'd be checking the paperwork and also with them directly.

I wouldn't overly worry about how it appears on your credit file. It will be fairly short term, assuming you cancel the first. Obviously the credit score itself is irrelevant.
    Last edited by zx81; 17-01-2018 at 8:26 PM.
    • Percyqted
    • By Percyqted 17th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Percyqted
    • 17th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    I'd be checking the paperwork and also with them directly.

I wouldn't overly worry about how it appears on your credit file. It will be fairly short term, assuming you cancel the first. Obviously the credit score itself is irrelevant.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Thanks
    I have checked with them directly and can't get past "order another card"
    It was an on-line application
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 18th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 8,207 Posts
    • 10,449 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 18th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    • 18th Jan 18, 9:30 AM
    My best guess is you've requested the wrong barclaycard product when you've made your application.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 18th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 3,315 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 18th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 18th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    The last time I looked there were four or five different 'Platinum' cards. Only one is the 'Travel' card, so you have to make sure that's the one you apply for.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 18th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 18th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    • 18th Jan 18, 11:24 AM
    I ordered a Platinum travel card in November using the links from MSE. It is supposed to be free of fees until 2022. I've used it twice now to order things from USA in Dollars and both transactions have attracted a foreign currency fee of 2.99%. On speaking to their customer service both by e-mail and phone the best they can tell me is I must order another Travel card using the same site I ordered the first one from, apparently the one I have isn't a travel card. How can I tell the next one WILL be a travel card BEFORE I use it on my upcoming USA trip? I don't want to find unexpected fees of 60 or more waiting for me on return. This of course is doing nothing to help my credit score.
    Originally posted by Percyqted
    Sounds like you applied for the wrong card when you opened it online.

Use the link below to apply for the correct one then once it is open, ask Barclaycard to close your other one, simple.

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/platinum-travel-credit-card
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • Percyqted
    • By Percyqted 19th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Percyqted
    • 19th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 19th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    After spending two hours of my life touring India it appears that although I used the link from this website to the Travelcard order form I did in fact order a standard Platinum Card which is identical to a travel card. I was eventually advised to order a New travel card which was promptly declined by their website because it has not been updated to allow you to hold two credit cards at once. After another hour of chasing my tail and innumerable holds and pass on's I'm now waiting for one of the team to call me back tonight to finally sort this out.
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 7th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    OP - what was the outcome of this? Same thing has happened to me and I am certain I did not apply for the 'wrong' card. See my post here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5790064
    • Percyqted
    • By Percyqted 8th Feb 18, 12:54 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Percyqted
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:54 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:54 AM
    OP - what was the outcome of this? Same thing has happened to me and I am certain I did not apply for the 'wrong' card. See my post here:
    Originally posted by beefturnmail
    Like yourself I finally got a call back from Barclaycard 5 days later telling me that they had examined my request but were upholding the decision to refuse a second card and I would have to wait six months to reapply. Whereupon I immediately cancelled that card and cut it up.
    I also sat down and wrote a strong letter of complaint addressed to Barclay's head office in London.
    Today, 7th Feb I received acknowledgement that they were looking into my complaint and hoped to settle it sometime in March. By the same post I also received a promotional letter from Barclay's offering me favourable terms should I wish to transfer funds to my already cancelled card.
    Also in the afternoon I received a call from their complaints department who wished to go through the main points of my complaint. i.e. Wrong card issued, poor first contact customer service and incorrect advice offered when I finally got through to someone who at least understood my problem (well they said they did.)
    I'm now waiting the outcome of this phone call but also planning to take out a Halifax card, which isn't quite as convenient, should all else fail.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 8th Feb 18, 10:59 AM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Today, 7th Feb I received acknowledgement that they were looking into my complaint and hoped to settle it sometime in March.
    Please give us an update when you receive it

I ordered a Platinum travel card in November using the links from MSE.
    Beefturnmail - did you too apply via the MSE link? Perhaps MSE inserted the wrong link, that's the only thing I can think of why you would both get different cards.

I suppose unless anyone has applied for it in recent months can confirm whether or not they received the correct card?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • Percyqted
    • By Percyqted 8th Feb 18, 11:49 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Percyqted
    I went in via the MSE link, first using the 'check your eligibility' tool which returned me to the Platinum site afterwards. Whether this is where the glitch is I don't know.
    My daughter applied for a card back in the summer and received the correct card, which is identical in every way to the one I received.
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 8th Feb 18, 10:18 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    I applied at this link: https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards?ref=home-mainnav and did not use any pre-eligiblility tool - there isn't one for the Barclaycard (as at today) on the MSE site and I did not use Barclaycard's.

I had been considering both this and the Halifax Clarity card for a couple of weeks, and was declined for the Halifax card (which I'm also miffed about!), so applied for the Barclaycard one without going back to MSE.

I remember noting at the time I made the app, that it was a bit confusing with all the different platinum cards and was careful to select the travel one - to select the wrong one is not the sort of mistake I usually make, but I could just about accept that I might have clicked on the one above\below in error, but (I think) I have been given the 26 month balance transfer one which is about the fifth down which you have to scroll down to. (OP - which one did you get?)

Plus when you go into the app for this card (I just tried again) there is a lot of talk of balance transfers etc, which I would have double checked as I'm not making a balance transfer. (I also made the app at 3pm on a desktop PC and had not been drinking....)

I will be writing to head office to complain as well (I'm awaiting a call-back from supposedly the 'highest complaint level' but I'm dubious as I was told that the last time I asked for my complaint to be escalated and just got the same goon (or his mate) in India the next day.

Added to my complaint will be that they haven't actually confirmed the interest rate\fees etc to me (aren't they supposed to in writing when they send you the card?). I can't see in their online banking either - it just says 'check your latest statement' which I obviously don't have. I'm only guessing that I have the 'no fee 26 month BT card', by going into 'my offers' in the account - and this is what is listed (i.e. 0% on BT for 26 months, and 'you don't have any purchase offers').

Luckily I checked this all out before actually using the card and getting stung.
    Last edited by beefturnmail; 08-02-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    • Percyqted
    • By Percyqted 9th Feb 18, 9:51 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Percyqted
    Mine offered free interest on foreign transactions but NOT free foreign Exchange Charges (I was being charge 2.99% on all foreign spending) You only find this out after you use it as until you get a statement you cannot see your charges and interest rates.
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 9th Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    An update - a call back from Barclaycard again today, this time from someone in the UK. They were still not able to resolve, but the agent was a bit more helpful by asking when I was next travelling and offering to waive any foreign spending fees for this period (but someway short of fee free until 2022 like the card I applied for!). I pressed for further escalation and it has now been transferred to (their words) 'a department which looks into it then issues a final response within 56 days after which I can go to the ombudsman' - so I think it has at least gone to the highest complaints department, and no need for me to write in
    Last edited by beefturnmail; 13-02-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    • beefturnmail
    • By beefturnmail 14th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 677 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    beefturnmail
    Another update. Another call-back again on Saturday from an agent who basically said the same as the agent on Friday (despite the agent on Friday assuring me that it would be escalated). I asked for it to be escalated again. Then yesterday I received a letter that this had been done and I would receive a response by 2 April. Too late for my first trip abroad, so my wife has successfully applied for the Halifax Clarity Card. Going to persist with the complaint to Barclaycard though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,412Posts Today

6,310Users online

Martin's Twitter