MBNA NOSIA Refund Letter - Hoax?

Good afternoon

I got in a mess with my credit card in 2016 and went into arrears. Currently back on track though card is suspended

Yesterday out of the blue I received a letter from MBNA saying that since they hadn't sent out a Notice of Sums in Arrears letter they would be refunding all interest charged since then to the date of the letter. That amounts to £10000. I will hear within 28 days how it would be repaid

Really???

Of course that would be great

However I am concerned this may be a hoax, mainly because it's too good to be true but also because the letter uses slightly informal language (should've, didn't), is ended by Yours sincerely rather than faithfully and the sender, Peter Henderson, doesn't give his job title, and when I googled him saw the worrying excerpt from a LinkedIn profile saying Hi all, today is my last day in a reporting role for MBNA.though I have no idea when that was dated.

Should note that there is no request to provide any bank details and also offers what appears to be an official MBNA 0800 number if I have questions (I do, but scared to get the response "Ten grand for a letter? Are you nuts? We'll have a rethink about that)

Am I right in thinking this is likely to be a hoax or am I just too pernickety when it comes to letter-writing standards

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Am I right in thinking this is likely to be a hoax

No. A few of these have been reported.

But of course you could check with them directly.

PS Yours sincerely would be correct, assuming they used your name in the salutation.
  • Great!

But, no, they used Dear Sir/Madam
  • Westminster
    Westminster Posts: 1,004
    First Post First Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Wow - you had 10k just in interest since 2016?
  • Aye.

If I'd received the NOSIA letter, it would have been much less, honest m'lud (there is some truth in that, but the reality is that I'm pretty rubbish with credit cards)
  • Hi all,

I was wondering if I was the only one who had one of these letters. In mine was a cheque for 4216 which I have now cashed!
    I wonder what the biggest amount has been so far? 10k is pretty decent!
  • I received the very same letter this morning, saying they forgot to write to me in June 2009. My account with them has been closed for a number of years now, but I certainly wasn't moaning when I saw the cheque they had included with the letter for £594-57.
  • Thanks, guys, for confirming this seems to be real! and how they've been making repayments

With that being the case, now I can be a bit churlish

Really they should make the refund by crediting the interest from the day it was charged which would have the benefit for me that more of the repayments I've made would go to paying off the principal. In fact, that would pretty much wipe out the entire debt,

I surely can't be that fortunate so I guess I'll have to wait patiently for the cheque....
  • Thanks, guys, for confirming this seems to be real! and how they've been making repayments

With that being the case, now I can be a bit churlish

Really they should make the refund by crediting the interest from the day it was charged which would have the benefit for me that more of the repayments I've made would go to paying off the principal. In fact, that would pretty much wipe out the entire debt,

I surely can't be that fortunate so I guess I'll have to wait patiently for the cheque....

ask them to offset the balance from your credit card,wife got something like this a few years ago,she used the settlement to clear the card and closed it.
    Saved her 27% interest on her debt.
    I have a deep burning indifference
  • Well my cheque that I posted about last week, has now cleared at the bank, so it definitely wasn’t a hoax. Good luck with your refund.
  • So to update / close, £11001.42 was credited to the account on 31 Jan. though card is still suspended. Not fussed about that at the moment,. I'll possibly ask them to reduce the limit and reinstate sometime in the future if they don't do that themselves.

What a relief the reduced payments are going to be! It's like having something taken away and given back after a while with a "Let that be a lesson to you" warning.

Hopefully I'll learn it.

Toodle-pip
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family