Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LobsterMemory
    • By LobsterMemory 17th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    LobsterMemory
    MBNA NOSIA Refund Letter - Hoax?
    • 17th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    MBNA NOSIA Refund Letter - Hoax? 17th Jan 18 at 1:56 PM
    Good afternoon

I got in a mess with my credit card in 2016 and went into arrears. Currently back on track though card is suspended

Yesterday out of the blue I received a letter from MBNA saying that since they hadn't sent out a Notice of Sums in Arrears letter they would be refunding all interest charged since then to the date of the letter. That amounts to 10000. I will hear within 28 days how it would be repaid

Really???

Of course that would be great

However I am concerned this may be a hoax, mainly because it's too good to be true but also because the letter uses slightly informal language (should've, didn't), is ended by Yours sincerely rather than faithfully and the sender, Peter Henderson, doesn't give his job title, and when I googled him saw the worrying excerpt from a LinkedIn profile saying Hi all, today is my last day in a reporting role for MBNA.though I have no idea when that was dated.

Should note that there is no request to provide any bank details and also offers what appears to be an official MBNA 0800 number if I have questions (I do, but scared to get the response "Ten grand for a letter? Are you nuts? We'll have a rethink about that)

Am I right in thinking this is likely to be a hoax or am I just too pernickety when it comes to letter-writing standards
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 17th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 16,831 Posts
    • 17,829 Thanks
    zx81
    • 17th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    Am I right in thinking this is likely to be a hoax
    Originally posted by LobsterMemory
    No. A few of these have been reported.

But of course you could check with them directly.

PS Yours sincerely would be correct, assuming they used your name in the salutation.
    • LobsterMemory
    • By LobsterMemory 17th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LobsterMemory
    • 17th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    Great!

But, no, they used Dear Sir/Madam
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 17th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 17th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    Wow - you had 10k just in interest since 2016?
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • LobsterMemory
    • By LobsterMemory 17th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LobsterMemory
    • 17th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    Aye.

If I'd received the NOSIA letter, it would have been much less, honest m'lud (there is some truth in that, but the reality is that I'm pretty rubbish with credit cards)
    • loadedsaver
    • By loadedsaver 18th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    loadedsaver
    • 18th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 18th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    Hi all,

I was wondering if I was the only one who had one of these letters. In mine was a cheque for 4216 which I have now cashed!
    I wonder what the biggest amount has been so far? 10k is pretty decent!
    • Andyrocco
    • By Andyrocco 18th Jan 18, 10:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Andyrocco
    • 18th Jan 18, 10:28 PM
    • 18th Jan 18, 10:28 PM
    I received the very same letter this morning, saying they forgot to write to me in June 2009. My account with them has been closed for a number of years now, but I certainly wasn't moaning when I saw the cheque they had included with the letter for 594-57.
    • LobsterMemory
    • By LobsterMemory 19th Jan 18, 8:38 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LobsterMemory
    • 19th Jan 18, 8:38 AM
    • 19th Jan 18, 8:38 AM
    Thanks, guys, for confirming this seems to be real! and how they've been making repayments

With that being the case, now I can be a bit churlish

Really they should make the refund by crediting the interest from the day it was charged which would have the benefit for me that more of the repayments I've made would go to paying off the principal. In fact, that would pretty much wipe out the entire debt,

I surely can't be that fortunate so I guess I'll have to wait patiently for the cheque....
    • scott_lithgows
    • By scott_lithgows 19th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    scott_lithgows
    • 19th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 19th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    Thanks, guys, for confirming this seems to be real! and how they've been making repayments

With that being the case, now I can be a bit churlish

Really they should make the refund by crediting the interest from the day it was charged which would have the benefit for me that more of the repayments I've made would go to paying off the principal. In fact, that would pretty much wipe out the entire debt,

I surely can't be that fortunate so I guess I'll have to wait patiently for the cheque....
    Originally posted by LobsterMemory
    ask them to offset the balance from your credit card,wife got something like this a few years ago,she used the settlement to clear the card and closed it.
    Saved her 27% interest on her debt.
    I have a deep burning indifference
    • Andyrocco
    • By Andyrocco 24th Jan 18, 11:20 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Andyrocco
    Well my cheque that I posted about last week, has now cleared at the bank, so it definitely wasnt a hoax. Good luck with your refund.
    • LobsterMemory
    • By LobsterMemory 2nd Feb 18, 9:32 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LobsterMemory
    So to update / close, 11001.42 was credited to the account on 31 Jan. though card is still suspended. Not fussed about that at the moment,. I'll possibly ask them to reduce the limit and reinstate sometime in the future if they don't do that themselves.

What a relief the reduced payments are going to be! It's like having something taken away and given back after a while with a "Let that be a lesson to you" warning.

Hopefully I'll learn it.

Toodle-pip
    • alijcam
    • By alijcam 19th Mar 18, 11:04 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alijcam
    Definitely legitimate
    Out of the blue a cheque for 13+K from MBNA!! Went STRAIGHT to the bank.
    I can only guess they had auditors in that prompted the investigation.
    Certainly worth writing to any other card companies you use...
    • Luckyguy
    • By Luckyguy 17th May 18, 10:23 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Luckyguy
    This is not a hoax. I received a letter last week from them stating that I am due 19k and I phoned to confirm. It dates back to a NOSIA in 2010 that was not worded properly and i am due all interest and fees since that date. I am horrified that I have paid that amount over time but consider myself extremely fortunate. The companies are having to do this must be livid.
    Back then I was in right mess with several cards and loans etc and I have worked to reduce them considerably since then. Ironically this is not the first time this has happened - its my third. I have had payouts also from Cahoot and Barclays for a loan in the past two years because of an incorrect NOSIA. They were for 4K and 7k. Needless to say they really helped and now I am debt free because of these but the thing to realise this is not free money. I did pay these amounts to these companies as interest on debt from money I earned. It is just sheer luck that they are being refunded.

I am very lucky man but I would have preferred not to get into such debt in the first place. It!!!8217;s a salutary lesson not to take out those cards and loans etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,556Posts Today

8,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin