Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,587Posts
    • 26,244Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 93
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Sep 18, 12:39 PM
    • 12,227 Posts
    • 235,370 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I am so thankful that my parents spent a few thousand in the 1990s having a single story extension which includes a shower room and WC, built on the back of their little terraced house.

The room has the potential to take a double-bed and be a lovely en suite bedroom and, with Mum having Parkinson's and both my parents already in their mid-seventies, is likely to be needed eventually.

House is very cluttered but me and Kid Bruv are big enough and stubborn enough to shift the furniture around when necessary. I am so glad that they are not living in a home with the only WC and bathroom upstairs and won't be forced to move for accessibility - it would be perfectly possible to live entirely on the ground floor.

Have just re-organised the shallow drawer at the bottom of my sewing cabinet (this is actually a CD/DVD cabinet) to take the screwdrivers and pliers which were living in a tool roll in the tool bag under the bed and were awkward to access. They're the most commonly needed tools, it makes sense for me to have them very accessible and I have decluttered/ rehomed the items of sewing equipment which formerly lived there.

Now going to rustle up some luncheon then off to the lottie for a few hours' pleasurable graft.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 09-09-2018 at 1:20 PM. Reason: to remove randomly-occurring exlaimation marks!!!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Olga da Polga
    • By Olga da Polga 9th Sep 18, 1:03 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Olga da Polga
    Hello, long term lurker but infrequent poster here, hope it's ok to ask a kondoing question.

What do you do with photo negatives when you kondo the pictures?

I have been going through my printed photos from way back (the more recent digital stash is another task ahead) and am keeping a fairly small proportion. I'm ok with getting rid of the rest of the prints but I'm stuck on what to do with the negatives.

My head says ditch them, I can't imagine ever wanting to reprint them especially as most are for the prints I don't want to keep, but I'm still stuck. The photos I am keeping are scattered throughout many different packs of prints so i'd end up with a lot of individual negatives or strips to store.

My partner suggested scanning them, and his parents have a scanner I could use. I'm a bit wary of going down this route though as he is from a family who don't find it easy to get rid of things so he's always more likely to want to keep stuff (they have an inherited blacksmith's anvil and sharpening wheel in their garage, I kid you not).

Any help much appreciated!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Sep 18, 1:18 PM
    • 12,227 Posts
    • 235,370 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Hi Olga, what I did with mine was to get an ordinary A4 ringbinder and then go to Jess0ps (this was a few years ago, they may or may not still sell these) and get sheets of negative storage thingies (basically, they have slots which you slide the negs into, you can get a film's worth of negs onto one page).

I went thru my negatives from the envelopes that they came from the developers in and only saved ones which contained things I might want to reprint.

Anyway, it worked for me, was inexpensive and the A4 binder doesn't take up much room. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Sep 18, 5:33 PM
    • 30,063 Posts
    • 174,358 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Actually there are some great domestic lifts on the market now, that might be an option. Certainly cheaper than moving.

If you really don't want to move and it's only the stairs that are an issue then It might be worth investigating that route. It wouldn't work for me because I would still have a steep flight of steps to the front door.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    I don't particularly like the house or the area, actually - its just the effort of moving thats kept me here so far. I bought it as a work-life place, and it was really good for that. Interesting about domestic lifts: the firms all seem to say around £14k so far, and I could certainly move somewhere for £14k.

I am so thankful that my parents spent a few thousand in the 1990s having a single story extension which includes a shower room and WC, built on the back of their little terraced house.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Hmm. My bathroom is downstairs, so technically I could live downstairs, and I could release some equity to have someone come in, I guess. I'm 3 or 4 years younger than lessonlearned, and physically capable of stairs for quite a while yet, but I can see it coming.

The flat I've just been rabbit-sitting at is first floor, and the steps up are wide, shallow concrete stairs, but those are the common areas, not somewhere for a private stairlift/lift. Hmmm. It's not urgent, but it does need thinking about.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Sep 18, 5:37 PM
    • 30,063 Posts
    • 174,358 Thanks
    Karmacat
    What do you do with photo negatives when you kondo the pictures?
    Originally posted by Olga da Polga
    Hi Olga - I've cut my negatives down the middle, to have them less identifiable, and thrown them, all of them. But I've also got the negatives from my mother's snaps - I've stored those as thats a joint decision that has to include my brother and sister. I don't want them, and the only one who might will be my sister.

I've scanned the photos - and when a lot of them are tiny little things from World War II that are only an inch or so square, scanning is the only way to realistically see what they're like. But it has to be your own choice, a way forward that you feel is right.

Good luck!
    Retired August 2016
    • Elona
    • By Elona 9th Sep 18, 6:31 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 3,544 Thanks
    Elona
    GQ

You made a good point on wet rooms that I had not fully realised. Fortunately my walk in shower downstairs is not wet room but has a very slim, narrow in height massive shower tray. Upstairs bathroom has a bath with a shower unit above and I found it a bit daunting when I used it a few times when work was being done on electrics etc.

Trying not to think I have done everything need to future proof the house as then something will pop up when I least expect it but at least I have done everything I can think of.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 9th Sep 18, 7:50 PM
    • 3,969 Posts
    • 63,474 Thanks
    silvasava
    .Really good to read the views on future proofing etc. DH & I have dithered too long , we're now early/mid 70's and I know he couldn't face moving the garage now! We've had a brief conversation and we have a downstairs bathroom that could easily be extended to include a shower. We could with minor adaptions move downstairs if and when necessary and we don't have steps outside the house so Im a bit more confident of our ability to cope.
    Last edited by silvasava; 09-09-2018 at 7:56 PM.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 9th Sep 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 24,520 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    This is an interesting discussion. I'm only in my late 50s, but a few years ago I fell and dislocated my knee. I was unable to use the over-the-bath shower for weeks, luckily somebody gave me a bath seat so I could eventually sit on it and swing my legs over. I have a downstairs loo, which was fortunate, because getting up and down stairs was something I only want to attempt once a day! I made a full recovery, but it was a real eye-opener.

I'm thinking of moving in two or three years, and I am definitely looking at houses with a downstairs loo and stairs which are not too steep. I expect the next house to take me (with luck and a following wind!) into my 80s and so I need to look ahead.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 10th Sep 18, 6:56 AM
    • 6,924 Posts
    • 44,208 Thanks
    Pooky
    We future proofed as much as possible when we brought this house. We are mid 40's but DH was in an accident 8 years ago that has left him with mobility problems and he's likely to be wheelchair bound completely in the next 5 years (he copes with crutches around the house at present but we have a wheelchair and scooter for when he's out and about.

We were in a 3 storey terrace with no parking but found this lovely house and snapped it up (luckily it was cheap as it needed work or we would never have afforded it). 3 bed semi in a quiet village with a drive and garage, small garden and downstairs loo. The garage is attached and could easily be converted into a decent bedroom with ensuite (plumbing for the downstairs loo is all the right places for this). Just one small step up into the porch and plenty of side access.

When we refurbished the bathroom last year we went for a huge deep bath so he can have a decent soak but have steps for him to get in and out and invested in a bathlift seat which is amazing.

We also picked straight stairs so we can install a stair lift if needed.

It only takes on day, one accident and the rest of your lives are changed. Don't put off making yourself future prof whilst you can!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 10th Sep 18, 7:58 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 6,716 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    I've just done the future proofing move 4 months ago, into a retirement flat, and although only in my mid 60's it was a huge effort, much more tiring than my previous downsize six years previously, even though I had less to dispose of and less to.move. This is definitely now my forever home!

It's one of the few flats still with its original bath with overhead shower. Most flats have over the years taken the bath out for access reasons. However, I love a good soak, so will keep it unless/until there's a need for change.

Still kondoing. A friend is doing a car boot sale and has agreed to take unwanted gifts to hopefully sell - a pair of Hunter wellies, a pair of genuine Aussie Ugg boots and some other bits and pieces. If they don't get decent offers she won't sell them.

Not sure if this counts as a Kondo, but it transpires there's a storage cupboard one floor up from me which is a well kept secret. A key holder had noticed my rather large and very lime green suitcase tucked behind an armchair and last night we took it up to its new home, with a smaller case nested inside. Hurrah!
    • FrugalinShropshire
    • By FrugalinShropshire 10th Sep 18, 9:26 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    FrugalinShropshire
    Hello Konmariers,
    I am following ‘a plan’ and have almost finished books.
    Interesting discussion re wet rooms etc. We bought this house as it has the potential for a downstairs ‘living area’. We had my dad with us for a few years and had to move him downstairs due to Parkinsons. My husband has CMT and is an amputee so we had a downstairs wet room put in. He can still do stairs but we are sorted for if the time comes. Our next move will be to a bungalow though.
    We are enjoying the KM journey as we have tons to organise!
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire Proud to be mortgage and debt free
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Sep 18, 11:03 AM
    • 30,063 Posts
    • 174,358 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Pooky my word, you've had some challenges to face, and you're doing *very* well at it.

I have a lot less stuff than I did, though still a lot of paperwork, and I'd have to run my foodstocks down ... at the moment, the focus on the house is cleaning up. Time to reassess over winter, there's a lot of painting that needs to be done in any case, if I were going to sell.
    Retired August 2016
    • wort
    • By wort 10th Sep 18, 5:36 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 10,914 Thanks
    wort
    I have just made the decision to get rid of the bath for a shower . I don't use the bath nd as everyone is saying who knows what I'll health we may encounter as we age. I was worried about spending the money, as since hubby died there's only my wage, and that's part time but feel now I'm doing the right thing.
    I can't remember wether I mentioned my oak furniture in the lounge? Anyway I've sanded and distressed the tv cupboard that's back in and looks good. The tall bookcase with cupboard I've been longing to lose for a while so when I put it in the garage , I decided not to bring it back , so I've sold it, and today it was picked up!!yay! !
    Now I have a much more minimal lounge and garage
    I've also run through my clothes again and got rid of a bag full plus 2 pairs of boots and a pair of flipflop, they are going in the charity bag ready to go.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Olga da Polga
    • By Olga da Polga 10th Sep 18, 6:51 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Olga da Polga
    Thanks for all the help on photos/negatives! I have kept the strips that I am keeping the prints for, as far as possible, and will ditch the rest. The volume is quite small so I reckon I can live with them in a small box somewhere.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Sep 18, 6:59 PM
    • 3,969 Posts
    • 63,474 Thanks
    silvasava
    Fingers crossed I will be getting rid of a large heavy item this week that been living the garage for the last 18 months for a reasonable amount of dosh...........
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 11th Sep 18, 10:58 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 37,985 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    So yesterday i sorted 2 drawers, moving jumpers into the freshly released drawer, allowing me to put all towels away on the shelf the jumpers were shoved onto. The towels remaining on the towel rack look wonderful - no longer is my poor rack collapsing under too many towels.
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 14th Sep 18, 10:40 AM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 20,031 Thanks
    Siebrie
    First: husband is making amends. He was invited to a Family Day in the Ardennes by his employer, and he subscribed all 4 of us; we had a wonderful active day (rock climbing, zip wire, playing in a typical Ardennes river, kids' programme, nice food). He did not know any of his colleagues (he's a consultant, so these are not the people he works with), but went for my sake and at the end of the day asked if I had had my vacation now. I told him 'almost, but not quite. I still want a nice, long, up-and-down woods-and-rocks walk'. So we are now planning that (it is at least an hour's drive from where we live).

Other kondo-news: I have added 2 duvet covers and a princess sheet to the donate bag. I have removed all spring/summer clothes from dds' closet and have put quite a lot in the donate bag.

Every time I walk past their toy/crafts corner I throw something out and it is showing nicely.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 801,77= £ 691.62
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • greent
    • By greent 14th Sep 18, 8:23 PM
    • 7,528 Posts
    • 76,484 Thanks
    greent
    As DS1 is off to uni next week he has finally (with a lot of help from me) cleared his room of old schoolwork/ files/ hidden stinky socks/ random biscuit wrappers..... 1.5 large recycling boxes filled!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £7127.06/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £724.53/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 15th Sep 18, 1:23 AM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 24,520 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Glad to hear it Siebrie, and to see you back on the forum, I hope your husband understands now why you were upset at his behaviour.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 15th Sep 18, 10:22 AM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 45,974 Thanks
    Igamogam
    (they have an inherited blacksmith's anvil
    Originally posted by Olga da Polga
    Oh crikey my OH asked if I knew anybody with an anvil...........I didnt ask what for!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,918Posts Today

8,618Users online

Martin's Twitter