Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,620Posts
    • 26,387Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 87
    • wort
    • By wort 11th Aug 18, 10:31 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 11,124 Thanks
    wort
    GQ - so sorry to hear about the queen of sheba, many hugs.
    Kittie - I've been off MSE quite a bit myself, as real life got in the way. I hope you are well, and the move goes as smoothly as possible.
    I'm hopefully kondoing my bathroom , mainly the bath for a shower, depending on the quote from the plumber. I never use the bath, and I'm hoping to avoid problems as I get older, I want the shower to be as long as the bath from wall to wall, so that I can just walk in, with just a long glass screen not a sliding door. Keeping cleaning at the forefront of my mind, I would like a back to the wall toilet preferably a rimless one with a clip off seat! And a sink with a cupboard to put the toiletries in. Fingers crossed I can afford to do it!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 11th Aug 18, 10:25 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,574 Thanks
    MMF007
    Hey Wort, that's exactly what my friend did - got a shower just as you describe. It is fab. Good luck with your plans, Mx

A good kondo result today - went through all my 'currently too small' clothes to see which I really WILL wear when the next stone in weight goes! I released 15 items to CS bag. In addition, DH gave up a pair of trousers and a hat to put in the bag

During the trawl through the clothes I also rediscovered a lovely garment that is a sort of cardigan made from stretchy broderie anglaise. It is a cream colour and has a very full 'swing' to it. Sorry, that's a poor description but the garment brings much joy! I am wearing it atm

I did all clothes categories except jumpers - will do them tomorrow morning. I haven't got many so that shouldn't take long. Glad the weather is cooler for trying on jumpers
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Aug 18, 3:13 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 14,588 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    The leads and the chair back went to the tip. Although frustratingly I have just remembered that there were some things in the garden that should have joined them!!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £10,000!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    • 5,620 Posts
    • 26,387 Thanks
    Slinky
    The leads and the chair back went to the tip. Although frustratingly I have just remembered that there were some things in the garden that should have joined them!!
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta

Sounds just like what we do.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Aug 18, 3:56 PM
    • 12,869 Posts
    • 177,790 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I have more empty cupboards in the kitchen now than I do full ones and the pile of packed boxes gets BIGGER!!!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Aug 18, 4:45 PM
    • 12,270 Posts
    • 236,186 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I have more empty cupboards in the kitchen now than I do full ones and the pile of packed boxes gets BIGGER!!!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    How long til moving day, Lyn?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    • 12,869 Posts
    • 177,790 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    29th August so they say GQ!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Aug 18, 4:59 PM
    • 12,270 Posts
    • 236,186 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    29th August so they say GQ!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    Wow. The last two moves I had involved 2-3 days notice, can't imagine how it feels to have so long a lead time.

D'you reckon it's helpful to have a lot of time to consider things or do you think that, like with housework, packing expands to fill the time allowed for it?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Aug 18, 5:06 PM
    • 12,869 Posts
    • 177,790 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Swings and roundabouts, it's good to have had time to think what to keep and what to dispose of and rehome but it's really annoying when I need something I didn't think I would and KNOW it's in a box at the bottom of the pile! Had our buyer been slightly quicker in signing the contracts exchange would have happened weeks ago and we'd have been moving tomorrow!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    • 4,023 Posts
    • 64,254 Thanks
    silvasava
    Mrs L - your packing seems so organised and great you've had time to think about whether to pack something or release it. Won't it be lovely unpacking and arranging in your new home?
    We've thought about downsizing and investigated it a couple of times but nothing that grabbed us and I think we've left it too late now although the upside is when we're too decrepit to manage the stairs we have enough room to move downstairs lol

DH & I collected the frost free freezer on Saturday - left it for a few hours to settle and switched on - all good. Cleared out my utility freezer into it and switched it off. All defrosted now and ready to be re-stocked. found quite a few bits that had been stuffed in the old one for justin - no idea what they were so they've been kondoed into the bin. I found a few odds and sods of bread crusts, a mini pizza and some elderly sponge cakes, defrosted and out for the jackdaws that live in our chimney.
    DH has a couple of cans of old engine oil and I had a tin of olive oil that tastes a bit 'fowsty' to me - its not rancid but I've had it while and i think the hot weather has finished it off so that's going with the engine oil
    Not much else at the mo.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • greent
    • By greent 13th Aug 18, 7:17 PM
    • 7,608 Posts
    • 77,561 Thanks
    greent
    Spent an hour in DS2 and DS3's bedrooms today with them (I flitted between the 2, DS1 was with DS2 and DD with DS3) - they got rid of a bin's worth of recycling/ rubbish each (mainly duplicate lego sheets and old school stuff) and have tidier drawers/ shelves. Can't really see the impact in there from today's efforts as it's all hidden away, but some progress was made, which is a Good Thing

I've tidied the fridge and thrown a bottle (mostly used - about 25% left) of Moroccan dressing - BBE 04/15 - I'm happy to use thing past dates, but this had separated rather badly..... Also donated a jar of marmalade which I wasn't a fan of to my mum (I prefer my hm stuff) and a jar of jam to an aunt (she sent back her empty with a note in ) and 2 books read and passed back to my mum (she'll pass them on to aunt) Other than that I tidied the glut of courgettes and tomatoes into a ratatouille

Little bits, but all going the right way
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £8K/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £765.72/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Aug 18, 7:34 PM
    • 12,270 Posts
    • 236,186 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Kondo-ing has slowed here due to all the low-hanging fruit being discarded already. I am now very firmly in the use-it-up-and-rag-it mode.

One cleaning rag, itself half an old tea towel, turned out to have developed some interesting holes when hiding under the sink as the cotton is literally giving way. That was laundered and is in the rag-bag. I have also almost put my finger through the kitchen towel, so we will see how well that stands up to laundering but I suspect it is closer to holiness than righteousness.

This towel isn't actually a towel, it's home-made from a piece of towelling. It has a very 1970s floral pattern on it because that is when the piece of towelling was bought.

Mum made it into what can only be described as a changing robe, essentially a tube with an elasticated neck hole for us to pull on when changing into and out of swimming cozzies at the beach. And I mean jolly old baltic english beaches, not the costa del ravers.

It spent a few years in that role and then loitered in drawers until Mum decided she wanted a cloth roller-towel for the pine kitchen towel roll holder (this was the 1980s, it was gingerish pine, forgive us our sins). This didn't work out really well and the towelling (now a loop) went back into a drawer where it lurked until yours truly got a hold of it early in the new millennium and turned it into three hand-towel size towels.

I think the one I have is the last survivor of the three and when it eventually hits the rag-bag, it'll be the end on an era, really.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Floss
    • By Floss 13th Aug 18, 8:33 PM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 45,651 Thanks
    Floss
    ...Mum made it into what can only be described as a changing robe, essentially a tube with an elasticated neck hole for us to pull on when changing into and out of swimming cozzies at the beach. And I mean jolly old baltic english beaches, not the costa del ravers...
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    We had one of those - ours was a deep pink colour, dyed in the twintub along with the wooden tongs
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 13th Aug 18, 9:20 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,574 Thanks
    MMF007
    The weekend's gathering for the CS was dropped off today. I took a client to the opticians and while she was in there I popped along the street to AgeUK and handed in the bag.

I was inspired to seperate the 'too small' clothes into like garments, bagged and labelled with the sizes (the actual sizes not what was on the label !). They can easily be identified when the time comes to select them. They are now neatly folded in a suitcase.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Aug 18, 8:41 AM
    • 7,608 Posts
    • 77,561 Thanks
    greent
    I used to do nearly new sales (NNS) 3x/ year to get rid of lots of the kids stuff. Haven't done one since 07/17, so have missed 3 in effect. Now that the kids are getting older we have less suitable stuff, so it's not been that much of an impact. At the start of the hols I got all the boxed stuff down from the garage loft and went through it. Some went to CS, I sold quite a lot on fbook and a small amount of clothing went to recycling. I was going to be ruthless with the remainder and do the same with that, just so it's gone. However, having gone through it again yesterday and properly sorted it out, there's the opportunity in there for my kids to recoup a decent amount of money (they get the funds from and toys/ books, I get funds from clothes (and equipment when they were small enough to need it) I've checked and the next sale is only 5 weeks away, so I shall do that one with all of this (pricing it so that as much as possible hopefully sells!) and then revisit what's left. It's a slow exit route for the stuff but there is a definite plan in place. It's a different NNS to the ones I used to do, so will see how it works out. I may do one every 12-18 months whilst we still have stuff (will take that long to accumulate a reasonable amount of suitable stuff, I think) I know/ understand the sunk cost fallacy, but would like my kids to benefit from the opportunity to sell some of this stuff where I can

In the meantime, my stuff is generally exiting via CS/ passing on/ being recycled. I think I can finally see a difference in some areas in the house now! (I'd perhaps be able to see more if it weren't the school hols, so stuff is everywhere!)

x
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 15th Aug 18, 8:47 AM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 24,691 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I have had to Kondo my microwave, as it gave up the ghost last week. It was only four years old, which is a bit disappointing. The new one I bought is almost identical. I am now having a bit of a Justin dilemma! The old microwave is going to the tip for recycling of course. The old glass turntable is identical to the new one, should I keep it, just in case I break one?

I am feeling weak, I think I know the answer but I may need some help here!:
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 45,651 Thanks
    Floss
    Polly have you ever broken the turntable before? I've only ever broken 1 in almost 30 years of m/w ownership...
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Aug 18, 9:31 AM
    • 5,620 Posts
    • 26,387 Thanks
    Slinky
    Never broken a microwave turntable, but I know I'd be having the same dilemma if the old one fitted the new.

I think I've got a spare slow cooker pot in the loft. Or it might be the cooking body part I've got, it's one or the other, I can't remember which! See how easy it is to forget what you've got when it's stashed away for Justin! And I only came across that when I was looking for something else, I'd forgotten about it. I suppose a Justin logbook may have some use, if you ever remembered to write/audit it.
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Aug 18, 10:12 AM
    • 7,608 Posts
    • 77,561 Thanks
    greent
    You can often find microwave turntables on flebay, so if you did get rid of the old one, you could perhaps - if ever necessary - get a replacement on t'bay? (Or sell your old one on there in the meantime?)
    x
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 5,395 Posts
    • 79,378 Thanks
    VJsmum
    mmmm however...

I find microwave glass plates quite useful for putting food on - i.e setting out cheese and biscuits or cakes on a buffet. I have 3 spare ones and they don't take much room up as they are stacked one on top of another with something else stored on top.

Am i banished from the thread now...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,541Posts Today

6,994Users online

Martin's Twitter