Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,604Posts
    • 26,371Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 86
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 8th Aug 18, 11:50 AM
    • 5,392 Posts
    • 79,334 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Sorry about the puddy tat GQ

The 'nice' flip flops I was sad I'd kondoed , but then found again have been worse than useless. I can't keep them on my feet - to the point where they are a little dangerous as I keep tripping up in them - so they've been thanked and sent on their way (to the bin... not even fit for the chazzer...) It's a win i think as i thought i'd been premature to get rid, but now i know that they can go.. Only a pair of flip flops but another thing out.

THe small filing cabinet however.... (tomorrow, I'll do it tomorrow)...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 8th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    • 6,928 Posts
    • 44,228 Thanks
    Pooky
    Sorry about the moggy GQ, one of mine went last year and I miss him daily, he was such a character. The other 4 are all wonderful in their own ways and keep us entertained (and broke).

Kitty - glad to hear about the new house, why were you banned?

Another big bag went off to the CS this morning, and whilst dropping it off i came across a fab winter coat, just my new size and like new - £8 for a decent mountain warehouse wind/waterproof padded coat is a very good price! I shall be thankful of it in the middle of winter.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 30,176 Posts
    • 175,127 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Pooky, thats a great find, the winter coat!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • Charly27
    • By Charly27 8th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    Charly27
    So sorry to hear about the loss of the beloved Queen of Sheba GQ. Your little bruv sounds like he will take it especially hard. Even when it is the absolutely kindest thing to do, it still hurts.
    Last edited by Charly27; 08-08-2018 at 3:29 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read 23/48
    18 in 2018 6/18
    It is what it is.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Aug 18, 7:35 PM
    • 5,604 Posts
    • 26,371 Thanks
    Slinky
    Hardest thing I've ever done was take our cat to the vets for the last time. Worse still than sitting by my darling Dad as he died, over which we had no control/decision.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Aug 18, 7:40 PM
    • 5,604 Posts
    • 26,371 Thanks
    Slinky
    Completely different tack, I've just had an electronic kondo. Google have cut off my old legacy storage plan for my Gmail which cost me £4.89 a year as I didn't update my card details in time and they won't reinstate the plan. I can either get down to under 15GB in the next 2 months or pay £15 a year for 100GB. Just had a clearout, nearly 9000 emails which has got rid of 5GB. I'll be down to below the 15GB within the next week. Needed to be done anyway as part of my ongoing GDPR clearout.

Heyho, I was happy to pay my £4.89 a year, now Google won't be making anything out of me..... madness on their part really. I had the same thing with Vodafone years ago, they put up the price of my mobile plan so I cancelled and went PAYG which cost them and saved me money.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 8th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 7,103 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    So sorry to hear about the Queen of Sheba, GQ. Such a wrench, though it's some consolation, hard as it is, that she was given the kindest ending and spared prolonged suffering. Our furry friends leave huge pawprints on our hearts.

Kitty, I'm relieved for you that you're not taking on the older house and all the stresses of upgrading it. I've downsized twice in 6 years, from a four bedroomed 1970s chalet bungalow to a two bedroomed mid terrace newbuild, then to one bedroomed ground floor flat with patio and communal gardens, and haven't regretted it. There were minor issues here, a few small repairs but nothing structural or major.

Yes, a lot of extra decluttering for you, and a change having much less garden, but you're a pragmatist, and once you're settled in, you'll really enjoy being able to focus on your hobbies and have the enjoyment of being in the lovely environment you've chosen, without taking on a major refurb.

Please keep us updated with the kondoing, and we'll cheer you on as you focus on creating your best life in the new house.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Aug 18, 7:49 PM
    • 12,267 Posts
    • 236,094 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I was the responsible adult at home when two of the family cats has to be PTS. It's a terrible thing to do but for M, an elderly cat who'd moved in with us and had had three loving more years, the vet said over her shocking oedema that we could PTS or she would drown in her own fluids in a couple of days. You wouldn't wish that death on any creature, would you?!

I cry buckets when cats die. it seems to stir up other hman bereavement griefs somehow.

Anyway, on a happier note, Wild Thing was successfully entrapped and taken to the vet for her annual check-up and has passed with flying colours, not bad for an approx 14 year old animal. She is always difficlut to catch, as you may have gathered from the online soubriquet I chose for her.

Not much kondo-ing going on today other than one more pencil worn down to a stub. The mothership is thoroughly enjoying the book I sent back with Dad on Sunday, she does like B1ll Bry son. I spent 50p on it and read and enjoyed, she's reading it (and reading bits out to the others) and then it will head chazzerwards in the market town for someone else to enjoy.

Let the books be freeeeeeeeeee in the wild.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 8th Aug 18, 8:44 PM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 14,528 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Despite having done a Kondo pass on the leads drawer, they have mated and reproduced. Another bag of leads and a rubbish back support for a chair to go to the tip this weekend...
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £10,000!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 2,068 Posts
    • 14,016 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Sorry about your cat GQ. I lost 2 of my cats last year.

I kondoed a dress as I walked through a doorway in my house and it caught and it ripped. It was just a cheap one from Asda but I quite liked it!

I'm glad to kondo the hot weather. It's raining here today and it feels delightful to be a bit chilly!
    GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO DON'T WAIT
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 9th Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    • 10,777 Posts
    • 69,792 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I am wearing socks and a cardigan.....I love it. apparently the hot weather will return but it is so nice to have a few days respite.

GQ. Sorry to hear about your Kittie......of course you miss her. Pets are family.

Well went to,the solicitors today and signed contracts. Aiming to,legally complete week commencing 20th August.

Need to crack on now and finish the sorting and prepacking. But all that previous kondoing is definitely paying off, making the task ahead much easier.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 9th Aug 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,574 Thanks
    MMF007
    Today I helped a client kondo various bowls, jugs etc - a boxful is on its way to CS. A least 5 damaged items went to the tip, and I volunteered to mend a chipped mug to bring it back into service! A tiny chip in the rim, I reckoned I could grind it out. I have just taken a nail-file to it and tested the result by running my tongue along the rim, and i think it's worked! You certainly can't see it. I'll wash it (!!) and return it on Monday.

I have to release some clothes tomorrow because my new (reduced in the sale) coat arrived today and it brings much joy! The colour is a gorgeous and it fits like a glove.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Aug 18, 7:55 AM
    • 5,392 Posts
    • 79,334 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Not much kondo-ing going on today other than one more pencil worn down to a stub. The mothership is thoroughly enjoying the book I sent back with Dad on Sunday, she does like B1ll Bry son. I spent 50p on it and read and enjoyed, she's reading it (and reading bits out to the others) and then it will head chazzerwards in the market town for someone else to enjoy.

Let the books be freeeeeeeeeee in the wild.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I am a woman after your mother's heart. Loves a Bill Bryson I does, I have one on the go now. Only. <<whispers>> they don't get kondoed. . But I do read them over and over...

Filing cabinet still here
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 10th Aug 18, 8:23 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,574 Thanks
    MMF007
    I am a woman after your mother's heart. Loves a Bill Bryson I does, I have one on the go now. Only. <<whispers>> they don't get kondoed. . But I do read them over and over...

Filing cabinet still here
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    Oh yes, me too! His description of when they were setting off for 'A Walk in the Woods' had me howling with laughter!

Have kondo'd a bit more money - booked a cheap self-catering week on a farm in Oct. We've been before and it is soooo restful there, plus we have very good friends about an hour away that we only see once a year so it should be a jolly good week. I think I have got carried away with looking for things that spark joy! We now have 4 trips planned between now and Feb, varying from 3 days to 3 weeks (Two are visits to family).
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 10th Aug 18, 11:02 AM
    • 653 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    juliettet
    [QUOTE=VJsmum;74641063]I am a woman after your mother's heart. Loves a Bill Bryson I does, I have one on the go now. Only. <<whispers>> they don't get kondoed. . But I do read them over and over...

I do this too!
    • Charly27
    • By Charly27 10th Aug 18, 12:18 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    Charly27
    My temporary ban has finished and I have enjoyed the time away, it has broken my mse addiction and I have a new small tight group of online friends. My being has changed from stressed to very happy, content and fulfilled
    The personal update: the old house turned out to be horrendous when it came to the survey, it needed major work top to bottom, many things had been hidden, so I withdrew my offer. The very next day I started searching online for a new house, much better for me at my stage in life. The old house was the one that had alerted me to the major attractions of moving to that small market town, only 13 miles away from here. I decided that I wanted to be in this place and yesterday, after a couple of false starts, found my perfect new home. Small family builders and the best build I have ever seen. Tiny garden but 100% private and bright and sunny. I have reserved it and will be moving late September
    Those old house worries evaporated once I withdrew and realisation set in, I will be giving up my allotment but I will be doing more cycling and exploring the many new opportunities offered in this new arty crafty place. There are not hoards of houses where I will be, just a few and they are separated. 5 minutes walk from the shops, buses, doctors and plenty of lanes for cycling. The house is smaller than here, better for me tbh so I have masses more that needs to go, I start clearing again today
    I will feel cocooned and cosy, it has that clearview solution 400, underfloor heating and a very high spec of finish and appliances. The best insulation possible, even better than here. A garage with a cavity wall so it will be dry and safe for storage and food, if vermin-proofed
    Today I will do the scale drawings again, try to visualise where I will put stuff, so I can see what has to go. I go from 4 rooms downstairs to 2, I lose 200 sq feet. The house was cheaper, 40k cheaper than the old house and I won`t have to spend any extra. Still 4 bedrooms and one will make that perfect sewing room again but with added spinning and knitting crafts
    The allotment beds already have a home, to my dd, who is very excited and will inherit everything including my rotations notebook. Today, I tackle tools and maintenance things, I will no longer need them. I will be concentrating only on keeping anything to help progress my wood carving. My Excalibur dehydrator is going up for sale today, no longer needed. Yes, important items are leaving but I am going to feel lighter with every step
    One last thought about genes and genetics. I have 50% Polish, eastern European genes and 50% dutch and was born in the uk. My family genetic line comes straight down from 1350 and all the way it is farming, horticultural and baking. That is where I got my skills. These are my indie genes, you can combine those 2 words and create another spelling to a misused word. I live amongst people in my rural county, who have a similar line of uk genetics, running through generations, farming and baking mainly. We all knew how to live in peace and harmony with the land and its wildlife. I will say no more now, my stay with mse is over
    Originally posted by kittie
    Kittie not sure why or what you were banned from as Iíve had some time away and really just scan the email updates. What youíre moving to sounds just perfect for you and gives you the opportunity to grow in a different way.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    Books read 23/48
    18 in 2018 6/18
    It is what it is.
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 10th Aug 18, 2:45 PM
    • 5,597 Posts
    • 45,993 Thanks
    Igamogam
    We too lost a much loved tabby and white cat in January. His adoptive brother tabby misses him as much as we do - as does our nearest neighbour's tabby cat - they all use to chase each other and then curl up together in a sunny spot. Cant think of a life without cats and we have looked for a replacement/friend for little tabby but rescue shelters have so far refused on the grounds we have another cat or the cats they have are not suitable due to them being vicious/shy/indoor cats....the cat we had we were told would never live with another because he was vicious and would have to be an 'indoor 'cat......nothing further from the truth! We never kept him indoors and he was the softest thing ever! I know they have to be careful but they cant bleat 'we have no room' and then refuse homes. So we have given up for now.

On the Kondo front - 3 big bin liners stuffed of clothes from DD2 to CS - Result!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Aug 18, 7:00 AM
    • 12,267 Posts
    • 236,094 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    We always get our family cats from the same rescue place (and I mean the extended family as well as the 'rents). They very much wanted The Queen of Sheba and Wild Thing to be rehomed together. Because they know our family of old, they were delighted when we took them on (we'd gone looking for one black cat. Or possibly one tabby. But you know how it is - WT was working the room, deperate to be loved, and QofS was lounging on her bed giving us a Yeah, whatever sort of look).

Their backstory was that they are littermates and were abandoned (nursing six kittens between them) when their so-called 'owners' moved home. They were a bit less than a year old when we took them on and not quite fully grown.

Apart from the first day or so, when they huddled together under the sideboard, peering out at the strange new home and staff they've been given to, they haven't shown any affection towards each other. They lived under the same roof and even ate from the same bowl, but there'd be spats and swearing and they didn't seem the slightest bit friendly- ever. They just about tolerated each other, QofS being the main moody one, WT is an amiable space cadet.

Compare and contrast with completely unrelated cats we've had which have regularly chosen to curl up together on chairs, beds and outside. One of the best combo's of cats was when we brought a kitten into a household with one elderly neutered boy. He was so sweet with her, mothered her, washed her and they used to sit together indoors and out whenever possible.*

So, my point is that sometimes the cat rescue places aren't authorative about the best way forward. It is apparently a truism that adult cats don't react to the introduction of a kitten in the same way as they would another adult, somethiing to do with their scent, apparently.

* In the eigthies, our next door neighbour went into her bedroom to find a giant multi-coloured fur ball on her bed. She blinked and it resolved into a sleeping mass of five cats. She recognised her own, ours and the other three were complete strangers and took off out of the open window at speed (porch roof immediately underneath said window, which would likely have been how they got in).
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Aug 18, 8:02 AM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 63,995 Thanks
    silvasava
    Love it GQ - came home once o find mine curled up with a strange black cat - didn't know it and never saw it again!
    Am kondoing my garage freezer - for another one! My old one is packed to the gunwales and needs defrosting but I spotted a frost free one for very little dosh so will splurge! Old one already has a taker! Will also give me chance to defrost the house one and check all my stocks
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Aug 18, 8:54 AM
    • 30,176 Posts
    • 175,127 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Aw, thats nice, GQ.

Mine were mother and daughter, tolerated each other and did sleep in a little pile sometimes, which was always lovely to see. The dad used to come in sometimes, and he'd sit in the garden with the kittens, which was adorable. He also came into my bedroom sometimes, overnight too (3 storeys up from the catflap!) and I confess I always hoped he'd stay

I had an elderly neighbour there, who used to throw water at my cats because she had a very elderly one, Poppy, who was only just managing. She stopped doing that when she came home one day and found that my black and white kitten was licking Poppy's face

Erm ... kondoing. Erm ... tidying and finishing scanning projects. Oops!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

261Posts Today

1,563Users online

Martin's Twitter