Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,387Posts
    • 25,304Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 85
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 6th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 9,744 Thanks
    grunnie
    GQ sorry to hear of puddytat . I have had loads over the years maybe can beat you on the 50 years. They all leave a sad and empty space to fill - till the next furry comes along. I have had a stray living in our garden for the last few years. I love her. She is sitting on the kitchen window just now as I am cooking a roast chicken and she knows she will get a bit.
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 6th Aug 18, 5:53 PM
    • 5,722 Posts
    • 62,127 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Oh GQ, I'm so very sorry to hear about the Queen of Sheba horrid to lose a cat. Sending (((HUGS))) to you and your family.

I think it's getting to be time we had another one (or two) but the last one (died 2 years ago) moved himself in with us; I think the rescue people would all say we can't have one of theirs because our road gets quite busy at times.

On the other hand, there are some plusses; things don't get hairy, and we don't have to worry about whether the cattery has a vacancy if we want to go away at short notice.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 6th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 3,565 Thanks
    Witless
    Sorry to hear that GQ; I'm a 'dog' rather than a 'cat' person but understand only too well the hole they leave.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Aug 18, 6:08 PM
    • 29,582 Posts
    • 170,249 Thanks
    Karmacat
    GQ, so sorry to hear the Queen of Sheba has gone brings up a bit of a sob for me to hear that she was grey - my beloved Willow was grey and very affectionate. I have her ashes, and those of her daughter Jess (black and white, like Postman Pat's cat) in my wardrobe - my hope is that they'll be mixed with mine when I go, and set free somewhere. I couldn't bury them in the garden of the house I was in when they died, they didn't really adapt to it well, so I've brought them with me.

I'll be thinking of you and your mum and dad (and your bruv!) this evening
    Retired August 2016
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Aug 18, 6:15 PM
    • 12,052 Posts
    • 232,379 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Thank you all, lovely peeps. Kid Bruv will miss her especially, he was her favourite person and she used to follow him about and whinge to be picked up, and sleep on his bed and wake him in the middle of the night to get more TLC.

I'm a bit teary but will have some supper and head out to the allotment to pick my dried broad beans; gardening, like time and tide, waits for no woman. It's almost 30 c here atm and due to be even hotter tomorrow.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 6th Aug 18, 6:46 PM
    • 3,847 Posts
    • 61,877 Thanks
    silvasava
    So sorry GQ - our fur babies are part of the family and we grieve over the loss of them but I'm sure you will have fond memories of the Queen of Sheba. She's had love and comfort all her life and not left to suffer. Mine is 15 now and although seems hale and healthy I am aware she's no longer young ( btw another grey girl)
    DH got the collywobbles today so apart from kondoing a packet of immodium to him and a bucket of apples to a neighbour nothing else has gone
    Hoping for any improvement all round tomorrow
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Elona
    • By Elona 6th Aug 18, 7:35 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 3,115 Thanks
    Elona
    GQ

I am so sorry to hear about your cat and you know that you all did the responsible thing and did not let her suffer but it must still be a shock and a loss.

New patio has just been laid and all the creeping bamboo that the lackwit planted has been rooted out and cut out. DD went to hospital late last night and is still waiting for her baby to arrive. Her DH and middle sister are with her and it looks as if it could be midnight before baby is delivered. Sitting here with the phone next to me and my also my laptop as middle dd messages me now and again

The outlaws have been notified so fingers crossed they do not just turn up as I offered to have them stay with me.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 6th Aug 18, 9:16 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 23,651 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Ooh Elona, exciting times.

GQ sorry to hear about The Queen of Sheba. I can understand why your Ps say they won't have any more, but like you I've had 50+ years of cat ownership (them owning me, obviously) and can't imagine being without one. When my very elderly cat died in January I said I'd have a six-month break. I lasted six weeks!

Ivyleaf, my local cat rescue place approved me to rehome but because I live on a busy road they would only let me have a house cat or one over 9 years old - and no black cats. As it happened, before I could go and look for one I was offered my gorgeous 5-year old black-and-white chap through a friend. Like all the other cats I've had in my twelve years here, he shows no interest in the road as he has acres of back gardens to explore. The cat hair is a thing though, he's semi long hair and I don't think there's any soft furnishings in the house that don't bear a light coating of fur!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Aug 18, 9:21 PM
    • 29,582 Posts
    • 170,249 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Elona! Amazing news for you, I hope you hear reall soon
    Retired August 2016
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 7th Aug 18, 8:13 AM
    • 5,387 Posts
    • 25,304 Thanks
    Slinky
    So sorry for your loss GQ.
    • shanks77
    • By shanks77 7th Aug 18, 7:34 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 10,641 Thanks
    shanks77
    Sorry to hear about the Queen of Sheba GQ these fur babies really get into your heart don't they?
    • pandamonium
    • By pandamonium 7th Aug 18, 7:53 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    pandamonium
    They certainly do. So sorry for your loss GQ.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 7th Aug 18, 7:58 PM
    • 12,052 Posts
    • 232,379 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Thank you for all your kindness. She was 4 kg of vim and vinegar, but very affectionate when it suited her. She had a very lovely life with the 'rents and that's all you can do for your beloved pets.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 7th Aug 18, 8:12 PM
    • 2,806 Posts
    • 40,756 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    GQ just adding my sympathies for your loss - it's amazing how something so small can leave such a big gap in your life xx Hugs to your DB too, it's amazing how you miss that purry, furry sandbag in bed x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 7th Aug 18, 9:03 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 6,358 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    I am feeling for you too GQ, our house just isn't the same with out a furry friend, I chat away to him, we fall out , we make up, he is loved and spoiled to death.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 7th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 4,877 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    Floss
    25 years ago we managed 24 hours after our cat waa run over They leave an especially peculiar shaped hole when not there any longer
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 7th Aug 18, 10:09 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 6,358 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    I wish I could afford to have more, there are just so many in shelters waiting for loving homes.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Aug 18, 6:06 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,945 Thanks
    kittie
    My temporary ban has finished and I have enjoyed the time away, it has broken my mse addiction and I have a new small tight group of online friends. My being has changed from stressed to very happy, content and fulfilled
    The personal update: the old house turned out to be horrendous when it came to the survey, it needed major work top to bottom, many things had been hidden, so I withdrew my offer. The very next day I started searching online for a new house, much better for me at my stage in life. The old house was the one that had alerted me to the major attractions of moving to that small market town, only 13 miles away from here. I decided that I wanted to be in this place and yesterday, after a couple of false starts, found my perfect new home. Small family builders and the best build I have ever seen. Tiny garden but 100% private and bright and sunny. I have reserved it and will be moving late September
    Those old house worries evaporated once I withdrew and realisation set in, I will be giving up my allotment but I will be doing more cycling and exploring the many new opportunities offered in this new arty crafty place. There are not hoards of houses where I will be, just a few and they are separated. 5 minutes walk from the shops, buses, doctors and plenty of lanes for cycling. The house is smaller than here, better for me tbh so I have masses more that needs to go, I start clearing again today
    I will feel cocooned and cosy, it has that clearview solution 400, underfloor heating and a very high spec of finish and appliances. The best insulation possible, even better than here. A garage with a cavity wall so it will be dry and safe for storage and food, if vermin-proofed
    Today I will do the scale drawings again, try to visualise where I will put stuff, so I can see what has to go. I go from 4 rooms downstairs to 2, I lose 200 sq feet. The house was cheaper, 40k cheaper than the old house and I won`t have to spend any extra. Still 4 bedrooms and one will make that perfect sewing room again but with added spinning and knitting crafts
    The allotment beds already have a home, to my dd, who is very excited and will inherit everything including my rotations notebook. Today, I tackle tools and maintenance things, I will no longer need them. I will be concentrating only on keeping anything to help progress my wood carving. My Excalibur dehydrator is going up for sale today, no longer needed. Yes, important items are leaving but I am going to feel lighter with every step
    One last thought about genes and genetics. I have 50% Polish, eastern European genes and 50% dutch and was born in the uk. My family genetic line comes straight down from 1350 and all the way it is farming, horticultural and baking. That is where I got my skills. These are my indie genes, you can combine those 2 words and create another spelling to a misused word. I live amongst people in my rural county, who have a similar line of uk genetics, running through generations, farming and baking mainly. We all knew how to live in peace and harmony with the land and its wildlife. I will say no more now, my stay with mse is over
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Aug 18, 10:48 AM
    • 29,582 Posts
    • 170,249 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow kittie, I was going to say welcome back, but, even more importantly, you've turned the temporary ban into something that became wonderful for your own growth. Good for you! Lovely to hear you going forth and conquering. Live Long And Prosper.
    Retired August 2016
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 8th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 10,409 Posts
    • 65,567 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello Kitty.

Good to see you back. And what great news about your new house. It sounds Perfick. I just so wish I had been able to find a nice new build. Never mind I will proceed with my fixer upper and make it my Own. There really is nothing else on the market. I'm seeing the solicitor tomorrow so hopefully we should be able to arrange dates. I really would like it to be sooner rather than later.

Still decluttering and pre packing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

2,513Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin