Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,295Posts
    • 24,620Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 76
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Jul 18, 4:55 PM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 231,073 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    The little Close where my late Nan lived had a group of neighbours who'd known each other for 50+ years, some were relations by marriage and some relations by blood, others just lifelong friends. It made for a pretty efficient sharing economy.

One person would buy a magazine and, when they'd finished with it, they'd put a sticker on the cover with the house numbers of the Close on it. It would be then handed from neighbour to neighbour, each person crossing off their own house number as they handed it over to the next person.

Eventually, it had been enjoyed by everyone and then it was pretty scruffy and got recycled. I always considered it an admirable system in a small, very homogenous community.

A pal who lives in a small scheme of 8 tiny homes has often remarked that they could easily manage with one vacuum cleaner between the lot of them, if only people could be relied upon to put it back in a communal area asap they'd finished with it, and agreement could be reached on initial purchase price and who/ how subsequent repairs or replacements would be funded.

The US blogger mr money mustache has joked about storing possessions on Craigslist before now (i.e buying rarely used items used from there and selling them on once not needed, rather than biuy new and give them houseroom forever). An intriguing idea, I feel, although I guess we'd Gumtree instead.

I'm relaxing after w*rk on an incredibly hot and humid day. It'll have to get a lot cooler before gardening tonight will be feasible. I do have a wee sewing task to do on a donated frock for my trusty charity shop, as it cannot go out as is. I should get on with that and then it can go out tomorrow and I won't have it in my way and on my conscience.

I have just bought a dozen of those black velveteen coat hangers in the chazzer and may end up evicting some of the older plastic ones.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• kittie
    • By kittie 5th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 12,398 Posts
    • 78,317 Thanks
    kittie
    I suppose I should be on the prep thread but kondo is tidying, so maybe here will do. I have been spending several hours on scale drawings and it must be like a jig saw for some, therapeutic, soothing and satisfying. I chose a large scale to make it easy and have finished the sitting room and 2 bedrooms. The hard parts have been the guesstimating of the quirky room bits but I am certainly getting furniture in exactly to my satisfaction. That will be it for today because it is also intense

This morning I fancied a few hours out and went to various companies within a very small radius of the new house. I have decided on the company for doors and later windows and later again conservatory upgrade. I have found the flooring I want downstairs, saw the flooring in great big slabs, which helped. Gorgeous in the flesh
    https://www.moduleo.co.uk/product/verdon-oak-24232
    and I also had a chat in the stove company and will be having a clearview pioneer 400. They have a long lead time and need to do a fireplace survey, he saw the fireplace on RM and it will all need ripping out and the floor should go down afterwards. Fingers crossed I get permission for that survey

she agreed to it, yay, so I will ring the stove people tomorrow. Oh wow
    Last edited by kittie; 05-07-2018 at 7:49 PM.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 5th Jul 18, 7:39 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,633 Thanks
    silvasava
    Confession time - I'm a shoeaholic! Yesterday I wore a pair of sandals that have been languishing in the wardrobe and they were uncomfortable. That's the 4th pair that are now in the CS bag. TBH all are pairs I've had for a number of years but I've decided to pull all my shoes out and try all the summer ones - if they don't pass muster, out they go no matter how pretty they are!
    Put some jazzy shorts on this morning. DH commented that he'd not seen them before - that's because I keep them for my holidays and he stays at home cos he doesn't like flying lol!
    Garden producing great guns - to the extent I am now keeping my neighbours supplied with blackcurrants and cucumbers. Runner beans and climbing beans look a bit sad though so not expecting much from them. Onions are doing well though - first time I've grown them so pleased - not sure about the chard it's started to flower. Do I choose the flowers off GQ?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Jul 18, 7:47 PM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 231,073 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Umm, not entirely sure I understand the question about the chard flowers, silvasava.

They're unremarkable green things on spikes. I still eat the small side leaves which grow on the spikes when they flower, otherwise I let the stalks alone until they get annoying then take the whole plant up. Usually a mattock is involved.

I guess if a person doesn't want Feral Chard, it's best to fell them and get them off-site before they drop seeds all over. HTH.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 5th Jul 18, 8:33 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 60,633 Thanks
    silvasava
    Blinking tablet - it's chop no choose!!! Gonna chop them anyway as I don't want seed spreading. Thanks GQ
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Jul 18, 8:44 PM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 231,073 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Blinking tablet - it's chop no choose!!! Gonna chop them anyway as I don't want seed spreading. Thanks GQ
    Originally posted by silvasava
    My pleasure. I'm going to toddle offline to do a bit of pressing and to tack down the facing on The Frock then it can be taken to the chazzer tomorrow. Sleep tight, everyone. GQ x
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• kittie
    • By kittie 6th Jul 18, 8:21 AM
    • 12,398 Posts
    • 78,317 Thanks
    kittie
    why did I do it!
    dispose of my bulky air cooler in march, doh.

I have been to the allotment and washed all my paintwork down and am now cooling the way the body was designed for ie naturally damp all over, sitting with a glass of water at my side but its hard to keep up with the water and some will need the electrolytes too. All looks good up there, the rain did a power of good. Some people asked me to water their veg, how thoughtless in this weather and at my age, me with my own allotment. Its their choice to go on 3 week holidays in the middle of summer. I will do what I can do, but no more than 2 cans per allotment and if it goes crisp then too bad
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 5,295 Posts
    • 24,620 Thanks
    Slinky
    Thanks very much GQ for your SABLE thread, this morning I have parted company with an unfinished tapestry project I started in 1994......... It survived a Kondo pass previously, but realistically even if I finish it, I won't frame it or hang it up as we don't have enough wall space in our future home for the art we already have.

Have taken a load of rags to AgeUK for recycling including a holiday beach towel that was decaying - blue fluff stuck to your suncream is not a great look! When clearing some boxes out of the loft recently we discovered an unused Barbour jacket repair kit...... OH hasn't had a B jacket for about 15 years, so that's gone to the charity shop this morning along with some other bits and bobs.
    Last edited by Slinky; 06-07-2018 at 9:47 AM.
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 6th Jul 18, 11:07 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,657 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    The annual filing cabinet clear out is finally finished and the tax return completed and filed online. Each year the cabinet gets thinner - some info only comes online now plus older things can go and are not being replaced.

I'm hoping to get rid of the cabinet and use just box files in the not too distant future although at the moment there is still too much in there plus too much on the shelf where the box files would go.

The bathroom shelves have been reorganised although nothing has gone (except a towel of OH's back to him) as it was kondoed previously but I'm hoping they'll be easier for me to use with the new layout.
    Decluttering 219/2018
    Deleting old emails 235/2018
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 6th Jul 18, 4:47 PM
    • 3,545 Posts
    • 32,443 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I took 2 dog grooming brushes to "the dog shop" as they don't suit the furry one's coat

While I was browsing there I found one brand new and 2 almost new David Nieper nighties for the grand sum of 5.29, such lovely soft cotton. One is a winter one, but the other two are knee length and short sleeved, when washed they can go into my caravanning kit and live there "ready for a trip away"

Yikes - have just looked at the website and currently sell for 85 and 89 each
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 6th Jul 18, 5:14 PM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 231,073 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Nice bargains on the nighties.

Slinky, glad you're enjoying the SABLE thread, I've only ever initiated a couple or so threads in all my MSE years so was a bit nervous that people might not enjoy it.

Last night, I used the last redbush teabag and thought to add these to my next shopping list when I remembered I had a pkt of herbal tea langujishing in a cupboard. They were a gift from a pal which I hadn't got around to using. I now have them in the teabag tin and won't buy any more redbush until I have used them all (I don't drink caffeinated tea past 1800 or it interferes with my sleep).

I have taken The Frock back to the chazzer after its invisible mending session and they are delighted. They also pulled two cables out of the bucketful I gave them a couple of days ago to try selling and the rest, including the computer casing, have already been weighed in to their scrap merchant.

We discussed the drives and the circuit boards and I shall take them up tomorrow. That, apart from the HDD, will be almost the last of the old PC - just paperwork and old install discs to go through. Feels good to get rid of it for a cause rather than just lob it into the tip.

Going to wait until later this evening before visiting the lottie, it is only supposed to be in the low twenties here today but it is stifling and airless and a lot of folks are feeling debilitated.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Jul 18, 9:12 AM
    • 29,440 Posts
    • 168,979 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I was travelling by train yesterday - and I was really cold! Virgin Trains have their air conditioning set on high, for sure. We had a lovely breeze up north, but down south here it's airless, as GQ says, and hotter too with no breeze. I haven't been out to the back garden yet, but things don't look too bad from the kitchen window. Kondo-wise, the most important thing is that I've almost unpacked, so the case can be put away
    Retired August 2016
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 231,073 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I was travelling by train yesterday - and I was really cold! Virgin Trains have their air conditioning set on high, for sure. We had a lovely breeze up north, but down south here it's airless, as GQ says, and hotter too with no breeze. I haven't been out to the back garden yet, but things don't look too bad from the kitchen window. Kondo-wise, the most important thing is that I've almost unpacked, so the case can be put away
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Count yourself fortunate, my hipster toyboy and his pal were stuck on a Virgin train last year with broken-down aircon (and a broken-down train for some of the time). They'd paid a LOT of money for their tickets and didn't even get a seat and the train was full of poorly people due to the heat including vomiting children. Dee-light-ful - NOT!

I was on the lottie at 07.45 this morning and came away 3 hours later when it was becoming too hot to think never mind work. Already 25c. Needed to get home and showered as meeting a rellie at 1 pm for a bite of luncheon, she's up the city doing some shopping as lives about an hour away. Should be a laugh.

Last night I was rummaging in the six little wicker drawers in the bathroom where I keep my toiletries. It was a frustrating experience and I ended up chucking everything into my small round linen basket, found the item then bethought myself that this lot needs a good sort out before it all goes back. I have these, except when I bought mine a few years ago, about the same price got me an extra 2-drawer-high stack with the 4-drawer stack; http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8335708

Y'know, I consider myself a low-maintenance woman, but I was shocked at the quantity of stuff. OK, some if it is empty containers, like a couple of plastic bottles to decant liquids in for holibobs, plus a soap dish, but I was still pretty horrified. Post-luncheon, I shall turf that lot out on the floor and sort it out.

Nice indoor project for a scorching afto, then prolly over to a pal in the evening. I do love Sundays!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 8th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 1,615 Posts
    • 12,365 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Another little bag of kibble to the cs at the weekend.
    One item was a handbag that was still brand new (unwanted gift) I have been trying to sell it for 18 months but apparently everyone finds it as vile as I do!

I have a rag bag that needs to go now I have identified a rag bin (my old go-to one was removed).

I'm also thinking of freegling the steam cleaner that I inherited from OH's gran. I've never even used it and I suspect that I won't. Does anyone have a steam cleaner? Am I missing out on a fab trick here?

I also need to drop a few ball of crochet cotton to a friend. Need to check when she's in.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 8th Jul 18, 1:06 PM
    • 1,822 Posts
    • 12,613 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I haven't been on here for a while.

I have fallen off the KM wagon!

I just went through my wardrobe and chest of drawers to have a tidy up and I seem to have accumulated lots more stuff over the past few months!

I have been enjoying the football and the tennis (and not enjoying this hot weather!) but in the next couple of weeks I am going to make up a bag, or a few bags, of stuff to go off the charity shop.

I want to get right back on track.
    2018: Simplify your life
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 8th Jul 18, 3:18 PM
    • 1,892 Posts
    • 26,692 Thanks
    short_bird
    Lovely article from today's Guardian.
    https://www.theguardian.com/global/2018/jul/08/moving-house-means-sifting-through-broken-toys-and-masses-of-memories
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Jul 18, 5:12 PM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 231,073 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    OK, so I have upended the laundry basket which is holding the contents of the 6 small bathroom drawers onto the floor in the sitting room and have aligned the contents in rows.

Toothpaste; 13 full-sized tubes, one part-used. One travel-sized tube. 8 combs, some with broken teeth. Three sachets of shampoo (could've done with them on holiday, I thought, then I remembered that they're beggars to open without scissors and how often do I have scissors with me in the shower?! Anwser - not often, even at home and never on the holibobs).

A few items of sanpro (I am going thru menopause and have had one cycle in the past 20 months). Some disposable razors, enough for several years' worth of leg-shaving. Two spare unused crystal deodorants, the first one I've ever bought is still going strong after 2 years and 7 months..........

Going to put the sanpro away in bedroom drawer in case of need. Have also decided to empty the sachets into a mini-travel shampoo bottle, on the grounds that I'm more likely to be able to use that.

I've unwrapped 3 mini travel soaps which I will use next (I have a couple of mini soaps in mini plastic containers for use on the go). Will be putting the two dozen unused, still on their card but perished ponytail bands into the textile recycling. It's probably nearly 10 years since I had anything other than short hair and I have no plans to grow it again and they're perished, fgs.

Also found two iterations of the same personal grooming tool, the defunct one and the non-defunct one. Have removed the batteries from the old one and then it can go.

I will be vacuuming the woven basketry drawer units and the area underneath them before putting it all back. I am also considering if some other way of storing my Stuff is more suitable, once there is less stuff to store.

Truckin' on.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Jul 18, 6:09 PM
    • 5,295 Posts
    • 24,620 Thanks
    Slinky
    I've just had a clearout of old files from the desktop of my older pc. The new monitor is up and running, and being larger, the digital clutter was easier to see. There were lots of jpgs, opened each before deciding to ditch or keep. Came across one photo of OH and I in a wine bar on holiday in Greece. I was wearing exactly the same vest top I'm currently wearing! It doesn't get a lot of use unfortunately, especially not in this country, probably a couple of years since I've worn it at home. Photo was taken in 2007. I think it has a good few years more wear in it yet.

We've had a good clean in our sunroom today. We had ants getting in a couple of weeks ago, so we've dragged everything out, cleaned the room, gone round all the edges with some translucent sealant, hopefully that will stop the blighters getting in again.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Jul 18, 6:49 PM
    • 11,978 Posts
    • 231,073 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Well done, Slinky.

Someone who knows about these things told me that if you have files saved to your desktop, as opposed to saved to somewhere else with a shortcut on the desktop, if you backup the files to a usb stick or similar, the desktop files don't back up.

Have got the last ergs of the fullsize shampoo bottle plus the three sachets into one of the travel bottles and placed it handily in the bathroom to be used next. Not saving until next holibobs as this stuff has been sitting around for a while already and is best used.

I have picked several pounds of currants of the lottie and have been laboriously stripping them off the stems for freezing, although I did have SG around visiting with me some of the time. Have also had a bit of lunch with my rellie and a sit in the sun chatting about this and that.

Righty, need to go eat something and get the last of the currants into the freezer and try to turn this squalor pit into a respectable home before the workweek starts again tomorrow.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• grunnie
    • By grunnie 8th Jul 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 9,625 Thanks
    grunnie
    GQ freezing currants. I lay them out on trays freeze them and then destalk them. Easy and quick to do with a fork when they are frozen then they are bagged. As they have been frozen flat they don't clump together when bagged.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,893Posts Today

8,929Users online

Martin's Twitter