Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,447Posts
    • 25,615Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 49
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 17th Apr 18, 9:25 AM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 62,539 Thanks
    silvasava
    I clean mine like the old style window cleaners used to - use a squirt of washing up liquid in hot water for the inside windows. Wipe over with soft cloth and then scrape with rubber squeegee - no streaks, smears or spots! I've got two different sizes of squeegee as some of my top openers are small. I use the same method for my mirrors and a couple of cabinets that have got glass doors. Window cleaner does the outside though
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,875 Posts
    • 12,830 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm trying to kondo some books as I added them up and realised I have almost 40 of them! Most of them are on kindle so at least they aren't cluttering up the place but I am not letting myself buy any more until they are gone!

I used up some rose water in a hot bath this morning.

I got rid of something else from my wardrobe - a long blue skirt. I like the pattern, but I put it on today and it just isn't comfortable. I'm now wearing a different dress and a perfect condition M&S cardigan I got from a charity shop. It feels like I'm wearing a cosy blanket.

I like to be comfy! Life is too short.
    2018: Simplify your life
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 17th Apr 18, 11:09 AM
    • 5,447 Posts
    • 25,615 Thanks
    Slinky
    I clean mine like the old style window cleaners used to - use a squirt of washing up liquid in hot water for the inside windows. Wipe over with soft cloth and then scrape with rubber squeegee - no streaks, smears or spots! I've got two different sizes of squeegee as some of my top openers are small. I use the same method for my mirrors and a couple of cabinets that have got glass doors. Window cleaner does the outside though
    Originally posted by silvasava
    That's what OH does with ours, but it ended up spotty when dry. You can only see it when the sun shines through it, so it's not exactly been much of a problem recently!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I can`t make myself do it, throw the window cleaner sprays out. It is dull out and I have used part of one doing inside windows downstairs. If I see streaks when the sun comes out, then they will go. I was very thorough in polishing it off, more effort than the os way, or maybe not as my mum used pink windolene and they were always looking for ways to get streak- free windows. I mustn`t confuse os with professional. I remember her using screwed up newspaper, water with vinegar and so on. Professional is far and away the best
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 10,489 Posts
    • 66,398 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I am utterly useless at cleaning windows.

I took four bags of goodies to the charity shop this morning. Oh it feels good, although it felt strange seeing some of my treasures from last week on sale.

I mooched around and whilst I was there the assistant was putting out some of my bric a brac out that I took in today. She kept saying how nice my things were.....

The good Feng shui continues because not only does my house feel more spacious, lighter and is able to breathe, whilst I was in the shop I did pick up some clothes, two Pairs of cropped trousers, three pashminas (s o d the fashion police who keep trying to tell us they are old fashioned - I love them) and a beautiful cream silk camisole and matching cover up top - perfect for hot weather.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    ooh nice LL and all the sweeter for being a useful bargain

I have been ploughing through dvds, some are ancient films and so far 22 are out. I started watching series 1 of the onedin line and it has me well and truly hooked, very enjoyable, lol I have just received series 2, 10 hours worth at £1 an hour. I don`t think I will be getting past series 3, looking at reviews. Terrible times for sailors and their families

George and mildred, I enjoyed the first couple but I can see that series becoming boring. I liked the working class v posh and the lava lamp etc. Stuff that we really did have in those days when G and M was topical. Lots of innuendo and I will watch a few more before I decide that enough is enough. Same for fools and horses and open all hours.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 17th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 23,973 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I hardly ever clean my windows. It's only on the rare occasion that the sun is shining that I ever notice them!

Luckily I don't read fashion magazines, so I didn't know pashminas were 'out'. I love mine - I have several, different weights and colours and patterns, they are a great way to brighten up a dull outfit, cover up arms/neckline, keep the sun off/add extra warmth. I think I'll just carry on not reading fashion 'advice'.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 17th Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    • 12,095 Posts
    • 233,198 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I 'follow' fashion from a safe distance, laughing and pointing.

Guys, wanna laugh? Some person, quite possibly utterly insane, has stolen about 20 pieces of broken glass from a bucket on my allotment.

I got up there just before 6 pm yesterday and discovered someone had been trespassing on the top sections of both my lotties. They'd plucked and discarded one of my autumn-sown broadbeans, about 10 inches tall, thrown a few things about, left their hoofprints in fresh-dug soil and moved a bucket containing bits of broken glass, which I'd left soaking, from its position, and removed every bit of glass from inside and left the water behind!

I thought they might have just slung the glass around to be a nuisance but, despite mucho searching, I cannot find it anywhere. How bizarre is that?!

As they'd also tampered with my shed lock, and this must have happened in mid/ late afternoon in plain view of the road, I was a bit anxious it was a recce for an overnight shed break-in, so nipped up there at 06.30 hrs to check - no sign of any trouble, no new footprints (discounting the cat) and still no sign of my glass.

Well, that takes the cream cracker for weirdness, doesn't it?

I was only up there for a few mins, as had gone before brekkie. Grabbed a previously-washed broken seed tray and brought that down for the recycling bin.

Have become rather over-tired , so have grounded myself for this evening, my wild enthusiasms for gardening have run a little too wild (should have listened to the wise ones on here, of course ).

I shall be back up there tomorrow evening. Perhaps my local sanity-challenged trespasser can be incentivised to run off with bramble roots or some other such worthless items.

I have been inspired by kittie's sorting out of DVDs to watch one of the dozen or so I borrowed from Kid Bruv a few months' ago. If they don't grab me in the first 15 minutes, I won't continue. If I can watch a few, they can go back to him when I visit next month.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 17th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    • 5,447 Posts
    • 25,615 Thanks
    Slinky
    My childhood home, the windows were never washed inside or out, I'm sure we could see out of the windows after a fashion!

I have discovered today that my hand-held Gtech multi has a washable filter. I've only had it about 4 years....... OMG you should have seen the amount of dust, it was like the filter was wearing a wooly overcoat about 1cm thick. No wonder I was having trouble with suction. I don't know why it didn't occur to me something would need cleaning inside, I wash the filters in the ordinary upright one.

Will have to fess-up to my MIL who also has one of these and won't know about cleaning it either!

We're having visitors for the weekend, nothing like that to encourage a bit of cleaning, clearing and Kondoing. We defrosted the chest freezer on Sunday, moving everything from it into the upright freezer. TBF there were only 3 frozen lumps I got rid of, but now I'm pondering whether we actually need the fridge/freezer as we could get everything into the chest one and the fridge if kept tidy. It certainly needs defrosting as well, once that's done I think I may just switch it off and see if we can manage without. We won't get rid of it as if the one at the rental property packs up (given its age there's every possibility) we wouldn't want to have to go out and buy another.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 17th Apr 18, 9:33 PM
    • 6,906 Posts
    • 44,010 Thanks
    Pooky
    I kondod a happy half hour this afternoon visiting our new allotment plot! I'm still at the over excited stage at the moment, I'm sure that will wear off slightly as I get stuck into just how much needs doing. But yay!!!

I've also kondod 2 more tins of paint, lots of cardboard packaging and several lengths of old skirting board. My newly decorated hall is look fab and thanks to some serious kondoing I've only put back what I actually want out there, not just what fits.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 18th Apr 18, 1:43 PM
    • 5,447 Posts
    • 25,615 Thanks
    Slinky
    Well the cleaning continues here. Kitchen floor mopped with the back door open so the lovely warm air can come in and dry it. Kitchen bin given a good bleaching, is now propped open in the garden drying off. All the shelves from the fridge have been washed and replaced, the ones from in the door are draining.

I've been doing battle for a while with some limescale rings in the toilets. One in particular that doesn't get used much, water evaporates leaving a limescale ring. Bleach didn't remove it, vigorous use of the brush didn't either. The penny finally dropped and today I've baled out all 3 loos, attacked the limescale with Viakal, left it for a while, given it a good brush and it's gone. Hoorah.

Whilst in the downstairs loo I took down some voile, which I now believe has been up at the window a number of years (don't ask) to find it was absolutely black at the top by the trickle vents. Oh the shame. To be fair, the voile was doubled over a pole so the back wasn't visible. This has been washed, the window has had a sparkly clean, I gave the ceiling extractor vent a good wipe over whilst stood on the toilet and it's all waiting to be put back together again when the voile has dried.

I'm working my way through the cleaning (we have visitors for the weekend coming) on the basis of 'what would I be most embarrassed about if they turned up now' principle.

The cat is well confused as to why I'm not glued to the computer, I work from home.

Got a chap coming to mow the grass today or tomorrow, hopefully he will be coming fortnightly across the summer. OH works away from home, I don't want him wasting too much time on mowing at the weekends, and I certainly don't want to do it myself! He quoted my only just over half what I was paying somebody else a couple of years ago who turned out to be too busy to bother turning up, so that's good.

A lovely sunny day is certainly sparking joy here.
    Last edited by Slinky; 18-04-2018 at 1:45 PM.
    • greent
    • By greent 18th Apr 18, 4:02 PM
    • 7,350 Posts
    • 74,495 Thanks
    greent
    The lovely weather has meant I've been out in the garden - have got rid of most of a mostly-dead lavender bush (huge - we planted it at a good size 10 years ago and have some new small ones to replace it), some dead bits of plants from last year, some dead plants (lupin in a pot totally rotted) and planted my Mothering Sunday bulbs and some bargain primroses in the pretty Spring flower bed (Will get the benefit next year now )

Have also been through the receipts/ gtee/ instructions boxes (2 foolscap boxes, not both full) and removed 1 item - and added several more! Also been through some household filing and removed a heap - most of which will be ending up in the chiminea to be burned
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £6100/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £655.15/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    not much time for specific mk at the moment, allotment needs attention every few days esp the grass all around. I use a push mower, twice a week at the moment, then I trim the two 105 feet edges. Keeps me going and is good to have aims at my age, even if it is just keeping the paths in order. However I hoe`ed, chopped up a tall brassica for the hot bin and generally tidied up. All physical work but easier than the 5 litres of paint that I put on masonary yesterday. I ran out of paint and have another long session to look forward to tomorrow
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 20th Apr 18, 8:19 AM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 23,973 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Crikey Kitty where do you get your energy? I don't think I could use a push mower if I tried. I cut the grass at home for the first time yesterday, still quite wet and it had got very long over winter. The mower overheated four times and cut out!

No active Kondoing here and if I'm honest the spare room has got a bit untidy, I really need to do something about the fabric stash. Despite a moratorium on any incoming fabric it is getting out of hand, I had to do a quick search for something the other day and it wouldn't all fit back in the cupboard. However, I'm planning to use some of it up - some new cushion covers badly needed.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 20th Apr 18, 8:50 AM
    • 5,447 Posts
    • 25,615 Thanks
    Slinky
    I'm still waiting on the chap to come and mow ours. He was supposed to come yesterday evening, but I got a message late on saying he'd forgotten but will come this afternoon.

We used to have a push mower when I was a child. You must be very strong kittie!

ETA our onions are coming up really quickly considering they haven't been in a fortnight yet. And the blossom on the trees, 2 days ago there was barely a sign; the edible cherry is now in full bloom and the pear tree next to it will be by the end of the day I'm sure.

Still waiting to find out what colour the lilac will be. Fingers crossed.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Apr 18, 10:07 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I don`t know Polly, I listen to my body, I am not always energetic and if it says rest, then I rest but just now I am raring to go. Waiting for more masonry paint today, I am coating the very big expanse of high garden wall, being safe as always, almost finished one coat but ran out of paint, 5 litres used but much quicker with a roller than a brush. Hoping to finish first coat later today, will have to wait for the paint which will likely arrive at 4. I get sprayed head to toe and do get stiff by the end but I have ways to get rid of the stiffness. Second(easier) coat next week otherwise any heavy shower tomorrow night would wash the second coat off. I just wish I were 6 inches taller, 4` 11 is so restricting

slinky, keeping strong is very essential when getting older (after age 40) , keeping muscles strong will protect bones and pushing a mower is good, I push/pull it back and forth and there is a certain amount of impact exercise. I do cycle easily so have strong leg muscles but we all need impacts to keep bones strong, hence me moving my re-bounder into a space behind my sofa and keeping some hand weights handy for arm strength, using them if I remember but not needing to use them at the moment
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 20th Apr 18, 11:48 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 4,107 Thanks
    juliettet
    Kittie,

Please can you tell me what squeegee you use. My Brabantia is kaputt after 20 years!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 20th Apr 18, 12:01 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 62,539 Thanks
    silvasava
    Finished the new cover for one of my boat cushions so that will be going down there tomorrow along with the rest of the bits and pieces for her. DH made me a temporary sewing table from two trestles so that can be dismantled. Ive got a small drop leaf garden table in the loft so may bring that down to use as I've a few more sewing jobs and kondo when finished with. Encouraged DH to kondo some undercrackers - he looked like Eric Morecambe in his bell clapper shorts they're in the rag bag along with the damaged piece of boat cushion (my fault - left a cleaning spray on the cushion, it leaked and left a big stain)
    Got a Lemon Balm I potted on to give to DS1 - just general tidying lately (it needed it!) rather than any particular kondoing
    Hope everyone gets to enjoy some sunshine today
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 20th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 12,095 Posts
    • 233,198 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I kondod a happy half hour this afternoon visiting our new allotment plot! I'm still at the over excited stage at the moment, I'm sure that will wear off slightly as I get stuck into just how much needs doing. But yay!!!

I've also kondod 2 more tins of paint, lots of cardboard packaging and several lengths of old skirting board. My newly decorated hall is look fab and thanks to some serious kondoing I've only put back what I actually want out there, not just what fits.
    Originally posted by Pooky
    Congratulations on your new plot, may you have many a happy hour together.

Just came back from my plots, spent a 1.5 hrs up there now it's cooler, has been as hot as a midsummer day here, far too hot for working. A lottie pal had a day off work earlier this week and decided gardening shirtless would be a good idea (male pal, obvs) and is nursing some serious sunburn and a heat-derived headache which has taken two days to shift. He'll not be doing that again in a hurry, bless.

My broad beans, sown 12 days ago on Plot2, are peeping up, and I have worked some more on the once-berm, digging out yet more plastic (how I hate plastic, let me count the ways ) plus some random badly-corroded-fell-off-the-back-of-a-tractor-type bits of metal, plus nails, glass, pottery sherds and even a swatch of chicken-wire which was well underground.

I have also taken the rake to half of the area and shifted the soil down and across, the other half is a fight for another day - was losing the light.

I still have A LOT to do to get Plot2 under full cultivation, as there are a lot of nasties like brambles, nettles and couch grass to deal with, but there's now about six months of decent weather to play with, and I shall get there in the end. Oh, and the first bit of potato top has breached the baulk on Plot1, cue usual anxious weeks until end of May when the frost risk passes in my region. Fingers crossed!

Plot2 already looks a lot better because, each time I leave, I chuck some recyclable plastic carp into the bike basket and pedal off with it.

Haven't done much kondo-ing at the flat (have barely been at the flat when not eating or sleeping) but, on the positive side, have been too busy to shop for anything but grub, so no clutter coming in.

Have a good evening, lovely peeps. GQ xx
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 20-04-2018 at 8:49 PM.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Pooky
    • By Pooky 21st Apr 18, 7:30 AM
    • 6,906 Posts
    • 44,010 Thanks
    Pooky
    Think I will be spending a lot of happy hours up at the allotment - this plot has not been used for the past year and has gone to grass but the allotment caretaker has offered to spray, rotovate and cover the entire patch in weed membrane for me so that I can roll back and start on one section at a time. It's a big plot, on a slope and very uneven currently so getting the rotovater in will help me get it into some terraces which will be slightly easier to work on. I do appreciate rotovating isn't the best start but if I can keep the bed areas covered for a while to help it all die back then I at least stand a chance.

Our back garden is small and over the past 2 years I've turned it into a really low maintenance area with a small lawn and lots of gravel beds and minimal weeding. So all my gardening tools will come in useful at the plot. MIL has offered to buy us a shed - she's a star (although she was pointing out £400 ones where as the one I fancied is £160 - I do appreciate the more expensive one might last longer but £160 worth will last long enough if looked after and it's only to put a few tools and a couple of chairs in.

Kondoing my 3 piece suite today, a friend is coming to pick it up this morning. DH was finding it near impossible to get in and out of as it's too low and slopes the wrong way. Hopefully he'll find his new chair much easier (need to put it together this afternoon)
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

919Posts Today

6,669Users online

Martin's Twitter