Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,192Posts
    • 23,982Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 48
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 29,183 Posts
    • 166,587 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi GQ! I imagine shock resistance is incredibly important on a tool used for such heavy work - it sounds wonderful!

The bonfire pile outside my back door is a thing of beauty I love the way a bonfire will take a huge pile of wood and make it such a small pile of ashes that can soon be added to the soil to benefit everything.

Standing the branches up in the new place has also meant I'm able to clear out this set of paving stones where the previous owner of this place had a barbecue. I've let it become clogged and overfull weeds have taken root around it, there's earth there, more than 6" high (I think this was grass sods, I planned to have full, big borders, but couldn't see it through when I got ill) and I also just got rid of quite a bit of rubble I found - did a builder leave it there? I can't remember putting it there, but I must have.

I've only found that rubble because I stacked the bonfire branches vertically in a separate place and now the rubble can become part of the bulwark for my soil against the slump to next door's garden, which is slightly lower. I'm really happy with that
    Retired August 2016
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Apr 18, 3:05 PM
    • 11,968 Posts
    • 74,782 Thanks
    kittie
    kondoing dvds today, raining and dull outside and I have dozens, many were free with newspapers. All minus boxes and kept in files but 16 are out already, as soon as I knew that they were not for me, I was decisive. Like books, either I get into them or I don`t. Having a break and I`ll be getting back to it in comfort, sitting with legs outstretched on a sofa with plump cushion behind my back
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Apr 18, 3:09 PM
    • 7,008 Posts
    • 71,550 Thanks
    greent
    More things in than out here today - but it is DS1's 18th birthday

Cake and chocolate things are all temporary and PS4 games don't take up much room. Other presents are also small in presence but all joy-sparking

I have burned a heap of finance-related paperwork in the chiminea (it's spitty with rain here, so no washing out in any gardens) - the last is still smouldering away. That's by far my preferred method of disposal over shredding (far less effort on my part)

DD is off back to her uni city tonight, so some of the contents of the fridge/ freezer/ pantry will be making their way back with her.....
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £877.49/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £491.03/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £13869.38/£18694.38
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 15th Apr 18, 7:00 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 5,036 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    I spent a very happy time a couple of days ago, measuring in the wee flat I'll be moving in to in a few weeks. My double bed is due to be kondo'd, and tomorrow a single bed with two storage drawers is coming to me like manna from heaven (free of charge - the donor doesn't want paid for it, but will receive a rather nice bottle of something).

To say I'm thrilled is an understatement... I've been swooning at the price of new beds, and having retired early for health reasons, low or no expenditure fits the budget perfectly. The spare bed linen and towels can live in the under bed storage drawers, necessary as I will have one not very generously sized storage cupboard. Weirdly, although the kitchen is small, it's got more wall and base cupboards than I currently have in a much bigger kitchen. It'll be fun playing Tetris once I'm in. Meantime, I'm thankful I've done Kondo 3.0, and as I pack up, I'll be applying the joy test and the usage test to filter out any stragglers.
    Last edited by WeeMidgie; 15-04-2018 at 7:02 PM. Reason: Speling (!)
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th Apr 18, 7:43 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,416 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Brilliant news on the bed, Wee Midgie, well done. It's great when things just slot into place, isn't it? All the best for the move but I'm sure it'll be smooth now you're kondo'd.

One thing I notice is that just about everyone does a mahoosive declutter after they've moved, after they've busted their backs and sometimes the budget shifting those things in the first place.

Plots 1 & 2

Spent 2 hrs on Plot1, mainly hoe-ing and some grass cutting on the path, had a light luncheon (banana and a chocolate muffin) then grabbed the mattock and skipped over onto Plot2 to show it Cold Steel.

Apart from a pleasant interuption whereupon I was forced to drink rose and eat another muffin (allotment pal plying me with alcohol ) I was grafting for 6.5 hours. I have done a lot more digging and hauled out a lot of nasty plastic bits and rotten wood, glass and old nails. Oh, and two more bricks, that's now five of them.

Spent a bit of time sitting and sorting out the recyclable from the non-recyclables and making sure anything going to recyc is clean and dry and have brought two carrier bagfuls of plastic down to add into the communal landfill bins. I need to make the effort to get something (re-usable, recyclable, rubbishable) off the plot each and every time I go there, as only have a pushbike and it takes time to deal with Stuff.

I also have bits of rotten wood hung up in those knitted plastic onion sacks, to dry out. They were underground and very soggy but, I know from experience, once bone dry and added to the burn-bags, they will be an asset in autumn's pryomaniacal activities.

OK, fielding hairwashing duties, cooking supper, sorting laundry and then putting grubby self into bath tub. I have to be Office Barbie for a few hours tomorrow, before I can get back to real life which is playing in the dirt.

If I'm offline this week I will be grubbling around among the rubbish on the plot/ doing archery/ lying in a darkened room with a cold compress.

Onwards! Upwards! Outwards and Underneath! Let no clutter escape the cold steel no matter how far it's underground.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 59,202 Thanks
    silvasava
    Just make sure you don't overdo things GQ - don't want you suffering!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 12,595 Posts
    • 219,846 Thanks
    greenbee
    GQ - when you run out of challenges, I've got a mattock here, and a hole that needs making to stick a tree in... I could use some expert tuition
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,416 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Just make sure you don't overdo things GQ - don't want you suffering!!
    Originally posted by silvasava
    I'm on a roll. But I will be going offline now to rest, have a looong bath and be tucked up in my cat basket and catching some zzzzzzz by 10 pm.

My day job is sedentary, although mentally demanding. Allotmenteering is the reverse, so it all works out nicely. Thanks for caring.

greenbee, if I was in your area, I'd gladly drop by, but alas, am committed to being elsewhere. Earning a living doesn't half get in the way of life, hey?
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 15-04-2018 at 8:19 PM. Reason: to add a bit
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 15th Apr 18, 8:43 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 22,874 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    30+ years ago, I had an allotment and a friend of ours also got an allotment on the same site. He declared that he was going to garden organically, without weed killer or pesticides. Cue shocked and horrified mutterings from the established and set-in-their ways allotment holders and dire predictions of rampant weeds defiling the whole site. And what was the first thing he did, recommended at the time? Cover it with old carpet to suppress the weeds.

Times change, advice changes - be forgiving to your predecessor because they may have been following what they thought was a sound principle. Not the washing machine, though ...
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Floss
    • By Floss 15th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 40,134 Thanks
    Floss
    Carpet as a weed suppression method is banned on our site...DH still found some though, which is currenly awaiting removal to the tip.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,416 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Carpet as a weed suppression method is banned on our site...DH still found some though, which is currenly awaiting removal to the tip.
    Originally posted by Floss
    It's verboten on ours, too, but still people bring it on site. Oh, and double-glazed windows and doors, and bath tubs, and all sorts of heavy carp which then become the problem of the incoming tenant as the council doesn't have a budget to deal with them. I'm very firm about not accepting anything of that nature (i.e not proper wood and not burnable at the end of its useful life) as I have spent a lot of time and energy getting rid of it and don't want to make a future rod for my own back. Pre-cluttering not de-cluttering.

If anyone lives in Stoke and has lost a brown-coloured garden waste wheelie bin, someone on my site has one, complete with the City of Stoke logo. Doubt you'll want it back, the bottom has been cut out of it.

PWD, no one needs to carpet 300 sq meters of soil in two thicknesses of waffle rubber. It's a garden plot not a sitting-room and I shall never ever forgive the blighter *flashes on memories of working on a viciously cold windy rainy spring day on the first year, trying to separate a subterranean wadge of waffle rubber, chicken wire and couch grass - was close to tears of exhaustion and frustration for a while, it was so horrible*

I'm baking a potato, having a rest then heading out to the allotment for a couple of hours. Hit a sweet spot yesterday where the area I was working on suddenly went from being a series of unrelated grubbly bits to being joined-up-and-end-in-sight.

You know, the same way as when you're decluttering at home, how it gets worse before it gets better? It's thusly for allotments, too. Getting pretty excited about seeing that section looking tidy for once.

A pair of socks has come through the laundry all religious, one of the pairs on heavy rotation, so they're going to the rag-bag. It's building up a bit so will soon go off to the chazzer, along with some saleable bits and bobs.

Onwards!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 5:01 PM
    • 29,183 Posts
    • 166,587 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh, the joining-up of bits of weeding

I had that today too! I've been digging up the last of the baby rhodendrons/cherry laurels, plus as much of the bramble roots as I can get - the ends of the roots may still exist in the soil, but the central bit, and the surround foot or so of root, has gone.

This little area, underneath combined witch hazel/ rhodendron trees, links to the paved area where my horizontal branches have been lurking - yesterday I got some more bent and prepped to be the start of the next incinerator bonfire.

And at the back of this little area is the stuff I cleared last year, a privet hedge that ended up overhanging the boundary by about four feet. I've clipped that back to the boundary too.

I've also sawn back a couple of very low rhodie branches.

The result of all this is that the soil on that side of the garden will now often be exposed to sunlight and it will grow stuff and future gardening, after a few more passes of the gardening fork, will simply be hoeing

Victory is mine
    Retired August 2016
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Apr 18, 5:07 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,416 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Well done, Karmakat!

Just a word to the wise about the brambles; for the first year post-digging, there are likely to be suckers coming up.

When I cleared the mahoosive bramble patch from a lottie I shared before getting Plot1 (8 feet tall, about 6 x 5 yards, 10+ years in the making and absolutely solid) I was very particular.

I dug down into the subsoil to get the gnarled root stocks out. I traced the side roots and pulled them out (landing on my arris a few times when they suddenly gave way, too). Then, I forked and forked and forked through the soil, removing every tiny fragment which might be a bramble root.

I'd've sworn an oath on my life I'd got the lot but, once I'd sown spuds there, bramble suckers came up like cress. I was literally walking up and down the rows at least once a week, sometimes twice, pulling them out. By the end of that year, they stopped coming, but it was an experience, so don't be surprised if you haven't quite won the battle yet.

Righty, pooter going off as it'll be too late for me to be online once I'm back from the lotties at sundown. I go to fight the good fight in the lovely sunshine, can't wait.

Have a good evening, lovely peeps. GQ xx
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    • 29,183 Posts
    • 166,587 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Well done, Karmakat!
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Thanks GQ!

Just a word to the wise about the brambles; for the first year post-digging, there are likely to be suckers coming up.
    Ah, now that makes sense of what's happening at the other end of the garden - exactly what you describe is happening. I spent about 5 minutes today, at the end of the main digging session, checking what was going on, and that summarises it absolutely. There's no big root underneath the greenery, just a tiny little thing. So its definitely "keep going, don't let it grow back" sort of thing. Thats good enough for now

Righty, pooter going off as it'll be too late for me to be online once I'm back from the lotties at sundown. I go to fight the good fight in the lovely sunshine, can't wait.

Have a good evening, lovely peeps. GQ xx
    You too, GQ - hope it all goes well, and thanks for the input, much appreciated.
    Retired August 2016
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 59,202 Thanks
    silvasava
    Dry and fairly bright here today so DH got out in the garden to finish work on the timber over the patio. Part of it was rotten ( sawn ready for the wood burner) and he's replaced it but with a simpler structure. I finally planted 2 bags of Gladioli in the front garden and did some weeding then I had a clean and tidy up in the greenhouse ready for when the tomatoes and cucumbers go in. I found a packet of Sulphate of Potash with just a little bit left so I sprinkled it round the strawberries. I'd planted some perpetual spinach seeds a few weeks ago but nothing has appeared so I've sown another lot in a tray in the greenhouse & hope something germinates!
    I've repurposed my old breadbin to hold various packets of garden stuff in the greenhouse so the snails don't get to eat the paper! Found a red spider and a big black one - wished them good afternoon and let them scuttle away to find another corner!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 17th Apr 18, 7:09 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 5,036 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Great Idea with the breadbin, silvasava. More power to your muscles, GQ and KC. I love reading your weed/random rubbish kondoing tales, keep em coming

The single bed with drawers and "oak" headboard has been delivered, and it's ace. It needs a bit of renovation - headboard sanded down and painted, and the divan base and mattress thoroughly vacuumed. And then I'll test out the whole ensemble.

The drawers are fab, a good size, solid wood and on good runners. The bed would have gone to landfill if I hadn't taken it, I was the only enquirer after 3 weeks of advertising on Gumtree. Even if I end up buying a new mattress, I'll still have done well.

Any furniture I don't need when I move is going to the local furniture recycling initiative. I could Gumtree it, but will gain much more satisfaction from supporting local jobs at a local charity.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 17th Apr 18, 8:23 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 5,036 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Just done a micro Kondo... the blind in my sitting room window had a long loop of pull cord, like a string of mini beads. I found the join, and shortened the loop, to above the reach of a wee bairn. Not that I have any visiting toddlers, but whoever lives here after me may do.

And the cut off section? The cat loves it, and has a new toy
    • wort
    • By wort 17th Apr 18, 8:26 AM
    • 764 Posts
    • 10,145 Thanks
    wort
    Good idea silva, Money Don suggested similar on tv, plastic tub with a silica gel sachet, to keep out damp, he said to keep in fridge if you have room!,
    Wee midgie, that sounds like you did well with the bed. I'm sure it will look fab re painted.,
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Apr 18, 8:50 AM
    • 11,968 Posts
    • 74,782 Thanks
    kittie
    Three years ago I almost kondoed excess powdered lime render, it is only supposed to last a year, absorbs water from the air. Well this OSer wrapped once in portions, in zip locks and wrapped again in zip locks and put them into a really useful box. I had a house rendering job to do, low enough and I thought that if hubby could do it, well so could I. It has worked fantastically. I noticed a bit of wintered render come off a garden wall, high up from the house, tiered garden, so was in plain sight. Yipee, powdered render is still good. Like icing a cake but over an adhesive and will dry nicely over the next few days. Then I will be painting all the garden walls, of course I can do it, cheap roller and tray and masking tape. Paint ordered, costs £41 in all, I did another whole wall last year and the paint is brilliant, johnsons stormshield, they will mix the colours

Back to kondo and the two window sprays are going, they always leave streaks. I just did all the outside house windows with professional stuff and it only took me slightly longer than a window cleaner, I use proper traditional fluffy sleeves, very large width on the wider windows and a wide squeegee, It takes only 2 passes with the squeegee and all the windows are sparkling, no rubbing or wiping, apart from wiping the sqeegee. I even have the proper long bucket and the magic liquid is called unger. 40ml in 4 litres
    Last edited by kittie; 17-04-2018 at 8:54 AM.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 17th Apr 18, 9:13 AM
    • 5,192 Posts
    • 23,982 Thanks
    Slinky
    Thanks for that kittie, I've just passed that product name onto OH. We have a window cleaner for the external windows, but OH does the inside. Last time he did it we ended up with limescale spots, don't know why.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,707Posts Today

7,824Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin