Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,391Posts
    • 25,333Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 46
    • wort
    • By wort 10th Apr 18, 10:18 AM
    • 791 Posts
    • 10,342 Thanks
    wort
    Council tax is 1/6 th of my wage.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Apr 18, 10:43 AM
    • 29,603 Posts
    • 170,403 Thanks
    Karmacat
    1/8 of the state pension for me - I have no wage, and no pension, but I'll pretend I do!
    Retired August 2016
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 12,748 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I have been watching a woman called Jennifer L Scott on YouTube and she is doing a 10 item wardrobe. I have just gone upstairs and put much more clothes in the bag to be picked up this week!
    2018: Simplify your life
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Apr 18, 5:07 PM
    • 3,854 Posts
    • 61,978 Thanks
    silvasava
    Afternoon all - hmm off to work out the percentage of our council tax to our pensions am prepared to be horrified.
    No 'proper' kondoing :- took 3 bags to the Sally Army that were left over from our club jumble. Have just finished making the sail cover for my boat and boy am I glad to see the back of that! Fits a great and looks very posh so worth the effort ( and the language!) I've got another small (in theory) sewing project to do and that will be something else out of the house. Bit of a state of flux at home at the moment but this year will start moving soon (she says hopefully )
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Apr 18, 5:53 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,951 Thanks
    kittie
    1/8 of my monthly income. No street lights, 3 buses a day going 4 miles each way, bin every 2 weeks

I am off to hospice shop on wednesday, will take 5 items including a never worn jumper, black very good bodywarmer, brand new with labels fitflop clogs. Podiatrist said fitflops are bad for my feet as are crocs, which he called devils footwear. My feet have been great since I took his advice and my toes have stabilised, priceless advice

I never did get around to removing 3 of my special pots. I put them together as a group, half filled with plastic bottles, topped with soil and grit and await 3 achillea arriving tomorrow
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 10th Apr 18, 8:37 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 3,530 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    However, my real problem is lack of space. Home is 240 sq feet, a bedroom just a bit bigger than a standard double bed, a 6 x 6 ft kitchen, and the largest room (sitting room) a whopping 9 '7" x 12 ' 9'.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Just been catching up with the last few pages and spotted the above, Ive been watching a programme called Tiny House, Big Living recently. Its about people making tiny houses for themselves to live in. They start with the idea that they are narrow and small enough to tow although not all of them end up being moved around, so can have decks or other outside space attached but generally they are between 150 to 250 square feet so you would fit in nicely GQ.

Although some of them annoy me intensely with how stupidly difficult they make their lives (ie the bed sliding partly away under something with a third poking out for the settee - seriously ? Try sitting on that for a few nights and see how comfy it is and how great it is to have to store your pillows and bedclothes somewhere every morning then tell me its better than a proper settee rant over !!) there can be good ideas about how to make things interchangeable and adaptable. I'm sure a search on t'internet would bring up some of the progs if you cant find it on your available tv channels if anyone wants to check it out.

I enjoy it but cant help wondering when they are so excited to see it beautifully finished but still sparse for the tv cameras - where are you going to store your (for example) washing powder and toilet rolls? Its all very well having 5 pairs of pants and 2 tshirts and I can see how that would be workable for some people but unless you plan to go to the shops every day to buy everything in small sizes as you need it (which is of course much more expensive than buying larger sizes and decanting things into more manageable bottles etc) you are going to need another trailer to store everyday "life" items ??? Another couple had the dog's bed pushed most of the way under their settee. "Oh thats great" she says, "we can have it away when he's not using it and get it out when he's using it" What ??? How often does your dog go out without you ??? Does he go to night school perhaps ??? And when he is in a room with you with a floor space smaller than 3' by 6' are you expecting him to sometimes stand nonchalantly leaning against the wall instead of wanting to lie down??? No, its going to be out all the time cos even when its away it was sticking out by 6" so you step on it as you get to your own settee, hmmmm, practical. Grey Queen maybe you can sympathise/empathise with them but have found the workarounds ??

Anyway, thats just today's thought (sorry it got a wee bit ranty there ) for anyone who feels in a reflective mood.

In other news, I have emerged from my attic and i would say there is now about a third of the items up there now than there was 3 or 4 weeks ago. Bags and bags of old clothes taken to cs for selling - most as rags some as items , other household/decorative items to cs, some stuff been eba*d, several bags of crafty items, yarn and material gone to the local scrap store, some items to local auction house, a few things to the tip, some things brought back into use, some china still sitting around waiting to go to its next home, one bag of "retro" (80s) clothes waiting to be found a new home, a pile of about 10 now empty suitcases to be compared and then the excess taken to cs, a pile higher than me of now empty plastic boxes again to be compared and weeded out. (Id just like to say that we have never bought a suitcase in our lives they have all been "inherited" from ones already in the attic when we moved here, from my mum and dad when they were downsizing and from clearing f/mils bungalow. Several went to the tip as zips no longer worked or they were so ancient they were heavier than the clothes you would put in them )

House feels so much lighter and i love *feeling* the space up there when i am walking about the house, I can almost feel the floorboards lifting back up into place and no longer groaning . It was so depressing going up when there was piles and piles of boxes (and suitcases) all heaped up. Everything was so dusty and grimy it all had to be cleaned as it came downstairs and Im sure i will be coughing it up for weeks. It just felt like such an insurmountable task that it was easier to ignore it for years. Now it is almost a pleasure to go up and see floorboards stretching off into the distance

Hope all well

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 11th Apr 18, 6:12 AM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,548 Thanks
    MMF007
    Daisy, I totally agree with your rant!

Sounds like a huge achievement re the attic, well done . It does feel good to get rid of an oppressive heap of Stuff, doesn't it.

Well I collected my auction purchases yester and need to clean and restore the colour on parts of the chairs (faded and starved wood, some surface mildew from damp storage), and replace a damaged castor on the two-person footstool! The footstool is gorgeous but too big for my little house. I shall have to part with it

Shall be kondo-ing considerable money at dentist's later I am finally getting my new tooth fitted
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 11th Apr 18, 6:48 AM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 23,690 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Oh good luck MMF007 - it'll be worth the wait, and the money.

Daisy, once again you've made me roar with laughter. I'm wondering what the dog would study at night school ... advanced barking? Ball retrieval? However I do agree, while fascinating, some of the Tiny Houses are not very practical.

I've always had a vague yearning for a caravan or campervan. It was only when I started the MK journey that I realised what lies behind this. In vehicles like this, or boats, or tiny houses, everything has a place - often custom built. You are forced to be tidy because of the tiny space. Now that I have finished MK, everything in my home has a place (well in theory!) and it's so satisfying to put stuff away. I do wonder if it's a lack of control over stuff that makes these tiny houses of such interest; we can all fantasise about living in complete order.

Frankly, if my living space was 6' X 3' I wouldn't want to share it with another person, let alone a four-footed one who doesn't wash that often!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Apr 18, 9:09 AM
    • 3,854 Posts
    • 61,978 Thanks
    silvasava
    Polly - we caravanned for many years and now I have a boat. You rapidly learn to put everything away after it's been used, everything on board must be an essential and where possible have more than one use and everything stored in its proper place! The boat has been far more challenging than the 'van as it's smaller, has much less storage space, a lot of which is needed for the actual 'gubbins' to run the boat. Must admit my early caravanning days have led to some rather inventive solutions!
    Maybe I need to apply them to my home ....................
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • maryb
    • By maryb 11th Apr 18, 9:20 AM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 47,992 Thanks
    maryb
    Kindles are a godsend when boating. When the DDs were small and Kindles hadn't been invented it was a real struggle to store all the books they brought for a two week holiday - let alone my books and a few CDs.

Now they are older and usually only come for a week and not always together and it feels so CROWDED - it's amazing to look back and marvel at how we managed. Let alone when they were babies - all that STUFF - bottles formula, nappies etc.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Apr 18, 10:19 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,951 Thanks
    kittie
    Grim out today, I need a project, playing with enthisiasms isn`t enough or time will pass too slowly. I have cheery local radio on and am mainly under the stairs, I only have to bend my head to get in, it is like a mini pantry and masses bigger than the pokey little spaces I saw when house hunting.

Emptied now, apart from very long lasting hm jams marmalades and bottled fruit. Hubbie made freestanding shelving to go in there because he could not go in to fix shelves. I am glad of that, they will be going with me, five fully empty spaces on and under

All hook racks are unscrewed and out, nice ones too, seeing them in daylight, will be good for my new home. I left my accordian in there, won`t be re-learning until I have moved. I need a space for three spinning wheels and it is perfect, moving those means that I can make my crafting study look like a study. I have 3 rolser trolleys in there, ok I could not resist bargains in the past but they are wonderful for storage. They are empty and I think will also fit in that space but I will put all my spare large shopping bags in one, all useful for moving

MK enabled this, having done 2 passes in that area. This is final and will make pre-moving storage space

That stuff for hospice tomorrow, I couldn`t do it, it all fits and the two tops look nice plus made of wool and are new. They will be hung in clear sight in my wardrobe, ideal for this weather

edit: yay thanks to initial MK work, I have finished and have neatly stored under the stairs, accordion, two spinning wheels in padded bags, four different wooden weaving looms, 3 rolsers, two lots of kilners including a big box and my brompton bike. All the preserves are still in place and everything is neat and easy to take out and best of all, my study looks like a study. I had to push furniture but have sisal carpet so it was easy with no remaining marks. I feel very happy and satisfied today, that room was bugging me, now it makes me happy
    Last edited by kittie; 11-04-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Apr 18, 12:02 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 12,748 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Just been catching up with the last few pages and spotted the above, Ive been watching a programme called Tiny House, Big Living recently. Its about people making tiny houses for themselves to live in. They start with the idea that they are narrow and small enough to tow although not all of them end up being moved around, so can have decks or other outside space attached but generally they are between 150 to 250 square feet so you would fit in nicely GQ.

Although some of them annoy me intensely with how stupidly difficult they make their lives (ie the bed sliding partly away under something with a third poking out for the settee - seriously ? Try sitting on that for a few nights and see how comfy it is and how great it is to have to store your pillows and bedclothes somewhere every morning then tell me its better than a proper settee rant over !!) there can be good ideas about how to make things interchangeable and adaptable. I'm sure a search on t'internet would bring up some of the progs if you cant find it on your available tv channels if anyone wants to check it out.
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    I look at that type of thing on YouTube. I saw one woman who had a guest bed in her living room in her tiny house but she had it made to fit her height exactly and she looked really short. She had better only have people her exact size staying there!

If anyone else is interested in that type of thing, I look at A Streamin Life which is a couple who retired at 33 and 35 and they live in their airstream van in the US.

Another good one is Andrew Ditton as he is a full time caravanner (is that the right word?) from the UK and he has such a cute dog called Dougal.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Apr 18, 12:03 PM
    • 29,603 Posts
    • 170,403 Thanks
    Karmacat

Although some of them annoy me intensely with how stupidly difficult they make their lives (ie the bed sliding partly away under something with a third poking out for the settee - seriously ?
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    I've seen a few of those, Daisy, as I like the programmes either side - Barnwood Builders, and Salvage Dawgs (this is Freeview Channel 42, btw ) but yes, I don't watch Tiny House because the clients are mostly so irritating

An interesting clip came up very recently - one young family was building one in Alaska, and they had no bathroom in it - the woman actually said, I know people think it's weird, but Alaska gets to 50 degrees below, so no one uses water pipes, we all have outhouses (she was an Alaskan born and bred) so fair enough. I wouldn't like it though! I think it was a summer only place - I really hope so
    Retired August 2016
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 11th Apr 18, 12:04 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 12,748 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I was telling my husband how much clothing I had collected so he went through his wardrobe too and we have 2 bin bags full of clothes for recycling.
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 7,238 Posts
    • 73,552 Thanks
    greent
    2 large bags full of various items dropped off at CS today Half an hour's sorting/ tidying in DS3's room resulted in a few small bits for rubbish/ recycling and part of one thing which he discarded the other day (will go in the selling pile when all bits have been found)

Bin day tomorrow - recycling boxes all overflowing and bin (2 weeks worth) is less than 1/4 full - not bad for a family of 6 over Easter hols

Bids on 3 things on flebay - so should hopefully have some items (and lots of packaging - they're breakables!) leave here by early next week
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £3290.25/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £614.82/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Apr 18, 5:01 PM
    • 12,055 Posts
    • 232,469 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Sing it out, Daisy, sing it out.

Long before the interwebulator was a thing, I used to borrow library books on living in small spaces and end up wanting to throw them across the room, in frustration. I'd never abuse a book like that, my own or the library's, but the whole thing was so false.

I mean, c'mon, a lot of these so-called tiny spaces were actually bigger than my current rooms (and I lived in a bedsit for 3 years at one point). Plus, and I paraphrase from memory congealed from a variety of these design tomes:

And then we got our friend Tarquin the cabinet maker to run up the bespoke cabinets which exactly fit into the space so that we can file our red setter vertically and sleep hanging from vintage coat hooks in the atrium. It's so freeing to be clutter-free, don't you think?

Yeah, you can have built-to-fit cabinetry and furniture if you have either a chytee-tonne of money or pals willing to work at cost-of-materials in return for a photocredit in your design book. Or are a superb carpenter yourself, with time on your hands.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, most of us who live in small places do so because we cannot afford bigger spaces. Tarquin ain't returning my calls and my furniture was carefully selected from the Sally Ann/ Sense/ Barnardo's/ family cast-offs/ the communal bin area. It more or less fits where it touches, and it all has to touch each other.

Also, on reading some tiny house blogs, it transpires that they're parked up in the 'yard' of family or friends and are using their washer-drier and bathroom and/ or have a storage building or rented storage unit where the bulk of their Stuff actually lives. I'd consider that to be cheating (although I do allow the library service to purchase 'my' books, store them, dust them and array them neatly on shelves for my persusal six days a week, excluding public holidays).

And breathe. I am now going to move some stuff so I can move the clothes airer so I can get into my tiny house kitchen where it leads of my tiny house sitting-room where I am also keeping my (non) tiny pushbike for fear that it'll be stolen like its predecessor.

On the plus side, I shall never have to be showroom-ready when the magazine photographers pop over; keep the door locked, you know it makes sense.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• maryb
    • By maryb 11th Apr 18, 8:45 PM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 47,992 Thanks
    maryb
    I remember being very jealous GQ when you mentioned once that your library was open on Sundays. Have they cut back on that now?

Our library service has been outsourced to a not for profit outfit. Early days so can't tell yet what impact it will have.

I used to work in the City and City of London libraries are the BEST!! there's obviously plenty of money sloshing around, they had lots of new stock and loan charges were much lower than my suburban library - and any non fiction DVDs were free to borrow
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 12th Apr 18, 2:13 PM
    • 10,065 Posts
    • 36,325 Thanks
    luxor4t
    I am going to give my clothes to a recycling place rather than a charity shop.......
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I have done this since the nearest CS turned away donations. Shortly after they put up a notice asking that people didn't donate clothing as they were fully stocked. Prices didn't go down to clear the backlog though.....
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,951 Thanks
    kittie
    my hospice shop gladly accepts clothing, I am glad to say but paperbacks are in short supply. I guess that they sell them off in bulk to some re-seller. I wanted a couple for light reading but came out with nothing

MK is in serious mode wrt food and food stocks and I wanted to add some nice things to my freezer. OO flour is all used up, every last bit, made blackcurrant pies with it, thin pastry, used up a lot of blackcurrants, all from last year from the allotment. Still enough left until the new crop and there will be fewer and bigger as I have taken out more branches than normal, Two full bags of dates, 1 lb, to make a date and oat slice, also a 1lb of jumbo oats, still have two bags left but I shall have to have porridge for weeks to come

I have just about learnt to order when I need stuff and to get a small enough amount, did this with coffee beans today. I found some nice organic coffee on amazon. I am trying to let the sellers be my storecupboard
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Apr 18, 6:35 PM
    • 12,055 Posts
    • 232,469 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I remember being very jealous GQ when you mentioned once that your library was open on Sundays. Have they cut back on that now?
    Originally posted by maryb
    A very small fraction of the central library opens on a Sunday, just the bit where the most popular fiction paperbacks live. Most of the ones which interest me are in the not-open-on-Sundays bits, but I sometimes pop in to return books on a Sunday. I didn't mention it because it doesn't seem properly open (IYKWIM).

Have been to the horsepickle to have my hip X-rayed and will get the results at some point this month. I was hanging on the phone 28 minutes to get answered to have a one-minute chat to book that appt. Ye gods and little fishes, in that time I drank a pot of tea, ate several biscuits and read a chapter of my library book - speakerphones are such a blessing......

I have decluttered a birthday gift and card from the stash today and declined an invite to go with one pal to vist another pal this coming weekend. I have known the second person a long time (25 + years) but it's one of those friendships which has become more force of habit than anything else. I figure, it's been nearly 2 years since that person has contacted me by any means (and it still isn't a direct invite) and I don't want to drop everything on a Sunday to go over their place, which is out of town.

Call me shellfish if yer like, but I'm becoming a bit more protective of my time and energy these days.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,569Posts Today

9,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin