Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,449Posts
    • 25,622Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 45
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Apr 18, 11:32 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    coats and bags are done, coats/jackets/body warmers all in 1/3 of my bedroom wardrobe. Now how to arrange the 2/3 remaining space, before I start on the rest of my clothes, all in a very tall pile on my bed. In my bedroom wardrobe, I use it every day so must have clothing for the season. Categories will be allotment/cycling/crafting classes, home/casual, viewings and visitings.

One small wardrobe in bedroom 3, funeral clothing including a dark grey wool coat, holiday clothing in sets. In the meantime then I will work on the small wardrobe in bedroom 2 and they will be added to my pile, which will soon be taller than me, bearing in mind that my bed is high. Aim today really has to be to empty bedroom 2 wardrobe

This reminds me of many years ago, when staying with widowed mil, staying in a spare bedroom, wardrobe was full of suits and coats, all good second hand wool stuff. We are not the first, or the last

Satisfying today and back to it in a mo
    Last edited by kittie; 08-04-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I am mentally done in, MK or moscow, they are tiring because they make me stop and think and sometimes I like to be mindless. I have 1/4 left to do and they are all summer things, so no rush. Only 4 garments and 3 good bags are to go

Upside is that my main wardrobe is categorised, each category divided by one multi skirts or trousers hangers and the best skirts/trousers on the right, which will be for grabbing when I visit anywhere or go to the hairdressers. It will be far easier for me to ring the changes now and has been worthwhile. Its all about see-at-a-glance for me

I will not be buying any more clothes for years to come
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    • 12,102 Posts
    • 233,306 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Blimey, kittie, wherever do you find the energy?!

I've decluttered some broad bean seeds into the ground (in the rain) and am now cracking on with some things in the homestead whilst doing laundry.

Through this process and my multi-year affection for mimimalism websites, I've come to the following conclusions about my own life.

Much of the Stuff in my life owes its presence to the following circs:

1. Other people decluttered it and gave it to me (biggest category).
    2. I bought it 2nd hand because it was such a good bargain.
    3. I overbought new stuff because it was a great deal.
    4. I hold onto things because I fear poverty.

I'm not a passive victim of circumstances, of course, more a co-conspirator, and my responses to the above are.

1. Just because other people want to give me their excess, I don't have to accept. I can offer to physically get it to a chazzer, if there is an impediment to them doing it themselves. Pals/ family won't cut me out of their lives/ fail to like me if I say no thank you, occasionally (I hope!).

2. Excess Stuff is still excess Stuff, and just because I had the opportunity to buy it at pennies on the pound, compared to new, it doesn't follow that it's a wise decision. I don't need a lot more than I already have on hand. In fact, I need less!

3. Some of these bargains are edible or otherwise consumable and go off. Then the great deal becomes a waste, and I hate waste.

4. Yes, I am in the lowest decile of earners in a modern western country, but this is not poor. I have plenty of stuff to eat, wear, sleep under, rub on my rind etc. I don't need to grab onto every opportunity for More for fear there won't be Enough at some unspecified point in the future. I am probably SABLE for many categories of clothing etc.

OK, that's the lid off some of my weaknesses.

Have used up the last of a small travel hair conditioner today, and one of the hankies coming through the wash which I'm about to put on the airer has holes developing, and will be heading into the rag-bag. Will keep on using stuff up and getting it outta here.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 08-04-2018 at 3:28 PM.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Pooky
    • By Pooky 8th Apr 18, 3:32 PM
    • 6,907 Posts
    • 44,013 Thanks
    Pooky
    My method of working out what to keep clothes wise has been to turn the hangers the opposite way to normal then as I use things I put them back the right way, anything that!!!8217;s left the wrong way round after a few months (within seasons) is out the door.

I do a wash each day and most clothes items are washed, dried, ironed and back in the wardrobe with in 48 hours so I do not need 15 t shirts or 5 pairs of jeans. We are not holiday people so no need for 2 weeks worth of stuff to lug to another place. So much easier to keep up with washing and ironing when there is not so much stuff to wade through.

Today I have kondod a 2nd tin of paint in the hall, need to crack open a 3rd later but a bit of a break for an hour first....been painting since 9.30am up silly tall ladders and quite frankly I need a cuppa and a relax.

Another charity bag came through the door last week so I challenged myself to fill it, I got it half full and it is in the car to drop off tomorrow....where is it all coming from?

My 3 piece suite has been kondod to a friend (it leaves next week), they wanted to buy a new one, we were going to look at getting something smaller later in the year but agreed they might as well take ours now and we will find something sooner. Saves us the hassle of trying to sell ours and they have the transport to remove it from us. They are very happy and their old suite is moving on down to one of their children. I can bring the conservatory sofa in for now until we find something we like.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    • 5,449 Posts
    • 25,622 Thanks
    Slinky
    Went shopping yesterday with OH. He asked if I wanted to look at new clothes for our holiday in a few weeks. I pointed out that the weather in this country is so bad I have lots of summer clothes I rarely get to wear so didn't feel the need to add to them. We bought him a couple of new shirts, one to replace a favourite he was wearing for the last time, as although well loved, it's shrunk from medium to small. I'll pass it along to the charity shop as it still has lots of wear in it.

For me, I got a new ironing board cover as the old one was severely frayed on the edges, and some strong thread to effect a repair on OH's suit carrier. Cover has been replaced this morning, old one thanked and binned. Repair has been made to the suit carrier.

Yesterday afternoon we made a bit of headway in the garden. OH mowed the lawn when he got home on Friday night as rain was forecast yesterday, but in the end it didn't arrive until night time. The couple of days of sunshine and wind had dried the soil to the point I was confident to put the onion sets in, plus I did a fair bit of weeding. The soil was in the rare condition between soaking wet and baked brick, in places, so I managed to get out some long established weeds I've been annoyed by for a long time. I chopped some penstemans back that were getting leggy but have good growth at the base so hopefully will fill out in the next few weeks.

OH edged the lawn out the back so it's all looking much more tidy.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 8th Apr 18, 8:11 PM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 48,349 Thanks
    maryb
    All makes a lot of sense GQ. My problems are related to the fact that I have Enthusiasms. I get really into a hobby or craft and buy Stuff. I love it at the time but then I move on. But I know from experience I will cycle round and revisit an old Enthusiasm at some point and would regret it if I rehomed the Stuff in the meantime.

And we do have room for my hobbies especially now we are empty nesters. Should we downsize I think I would be pragmatic at that point and a lot of my Stuff would not be hard to dispose of. But what weighs on me is some of the bigger Stuff that we would have to dispose of in a major lifestyle change and which wouldn't be so easy to shed.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 8th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 12,102 Posts
    • 233,306 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    All makes a lot of sense GQ. My problems are related to the fact that I have Enthusiasms. I get really into a hobby or craft and buy Stuff. I love it at the time but then I move on. But I know from experience I will cycle round and revisit an old Enthusiasm at some point and would regret it if I rehomed the Stuff in the meantime.

And we do have room for my hobbies especially now we are empty nesters. Should we downsize I think I would be pragmatic at that point and a lot of my Stuff would not be hard to dispose of. But what weighs on me is some of the bigger Stuff that we would have to dispose of in a major lifestyle change and which wouldn't be so easy to shed.
    Originally posted by maryb
    I am myself a creature of enthusiams and my reach usual exceeds my grasp, due to pesky things like lack of energy and time etc etc.

However, my real problem is lack of space. Home is 240 sq feet, a bedroom just a bit bigger than a standard double bed, a 6 x 6 ft kitchen, and the largest room (sitting room) a whopping 9 '7" x 12 ' 9'.

What this means, on a daily basis, is that there is a real struggle to live a normalish life, even doing such unusual things as cooking a meal/ drying laundry etc.

There is also a very tight correlation between Stuff and quality of life; even a modest amount of excess in the former detracts greatly from the latter. I struggle with this, haven't found an answer yet, except that I need to have a constant plan to throughput items which have been used, like books, and to run down supplies of things which are presently above needed levels, but which aren't being re-stocked when they wear out due to natural attrition.

On the plus side, unlike those poor souls with spare bedroom/s, double garages, a conservatory, plural sheds, I don't have to clear those spaces out periodically and run cars up and down to the tip....... there are many blessings to tiny-flat-in-centre-of-small-walkable-city life - one of them is the seven minute stroll up to the central library.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 8th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 5,754 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    I can so identify, maryb and GQ, with the Enthusiasms / storage space conundrum. The room sizes in the flat I'll be moving to are just a bit bigger than yours GQ, and so I'll be following your lead in the use it up stakes as space will be tight.

A wee task tomorrow is to go through a plastic box of assorted attachments for vacuum cleaners, find out which ones are still useful, then see if the local CS will take the orphans.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Apr 18, 10:30 PM
    • 29,774 Posts
    • 171,720 Thanks
    Karmacat
    4. Yes, I am in the lowest decile of earners in a modern western country, but this is not poor. I have plenty of stuff to eat, wear, sleep under, rub on my rind etc.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I've not heard that particular saying that's brilliant.

I like your categories, GQ - I have a mix of your (1) and (4) at the moment, other people decluttering and holding on to stuff myself - though I wouldn't say its fear of poverty that makes me do that, its more *avoidance* of poverty. The thing where thats most obvious is shoes and boots, then fleeces.

Hobbies! Books, genealogy papers, and knitting and craft supplies. Yikes.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Apr 18, 8:19 AM
    • 12,446 Posts
    • 78,958 Thanks
    kittie
    I love that word `enthisiasms` that is me to a t and now my house move is governed by my enthusiasms because that is what is left when everyone has gone. I go back to each one, at least a couple of times every year and then I move to another, none of them are wasted and all are productive, just doing the one enthusiasm for a very long time would take the excitement factor away.

Wardrobe storage is working!! I grabbed a matching suitable outfit to wear under a hm maroon parka coat (came via an enthusiasm and looks wonderful) and am killing some time now before leaving to see how these EAs try and sell me a home. I am laughing behind my hand because I have found major `hidden` downsides to both. Tell you more later. It will take me an hour to get there

I put a cross shoulder bag back, pac safe bag, last worn in Italy where someone on the trip was robbed, next time may well be worn in our capital, if I ever go, would be my fourth trip this lifetime
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 9th Apr 18, 12:17 PM
    • 10,118 Posts
    • 36,504 Thanks
    luxor4t
    [QUOTE=MMF007;74130026]......
    So now I assume you all imagine me living in a tasteless and clashing riot of colour with lots of random pictures, a large model boat, 2 over-sized sunloungers and a serene mahogany dining suite trying to claim I have good taste

Now I have typed that sentence I realised I *am* crazy [/QUOTE

My dad used to have a 6 foot wing from a model aeroplane balanced on the top of his wardrobe, and everything in our house was random - no condemnation here
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    • 5,449 Posts
    • 25,622 Thanks
    Slinky
    We keep the roasting plates that the Christmas turkey goes onto in a drawer under the bed. May seem a bit odd but we know where to find them!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 9th Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    • 1,886 Posts
    • 12,880 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I am going to give my clothes to a recycling place rather than a charity shop. They come and pick it up from my house as well which is handy.

I have a whole black bin bag full now as I added a pair of shorts, another scarf and a few more bits. I can't even remember it all now.
    2018: Simplify your life
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 9th Apr 18, 5:27 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,554 Thanks
    MMF007
    On Saturday I went to an antique emporium in a neighbouring town. I am looking for 'something' for a tricky alcove. Something to hold things that are currently on an old CD tower made from rattan. It is tricky to get to (being beside but slightly behind the arm a large sofa). I wondered if I could turn it on its side and have it as a sort of shelf but it is too tall/long for the alcove.
    Anyhoo, I set off to find the right size of 'thing', whether that would be ( a shelf, a tray, a little cabinet, or whatever would look nice and fit the space).
    I spotted, *are you librarians ready for this?* a mahogany book carrier!
    It looked fabulous but weighed a tonne! I reckoned with 3 sturdy screws and 2 brackets it would sit well as a shelf. It was priced higher than I thought appropriate for my needs so I made an offer. It was rejected. I decided not to offer any more so I left it there, but I thought of you lot!

I then spent a few hours looking for something else suitable. I found just the thing!! I shall order when I get back from a short break in North Wales next week The no-longer-useful CD tower can go to CS asap.

Even bigger news - DH said he understood about the giant sunloungers being a nuisance but...... they were very comfortable. I am dithering about compromising. If we got rid of one and he kept the other, maybe on condition that he uses it or it too can go at the end of summer?!
    Last edited by MMF007; 09-04-2018 at 5:31 PM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 5,449 Posts
    • 25,622 Thanks
    Slinky
    MMF, does he actually use the sunloungers? My OH finally conceded we could get rid of ours last year as they were cluttering up the shed and we'd never used them in all the time we've been together (17 years).

I offered them on a Facebook page and they left our lives the same day.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Apr 18, 8:18 PM
    • 12,102 Posts
    • 233,306 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've not heard that particular saying that's brilliant.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    It's a GQ invention; I may be copyrighting it someday soon. Meanwhile, feel free to use it.

Wee Midgie, congratulations on your new home and, if you ever need any advice on putting a quart into a pint pot, please ask me; I'm a Tetris Grandmistress, after all.

MMF007, I've had a thought, a bit of a sly one. If I've remembered correctly, these loungers have been unused for several years? So, in principle, is your husband's memory of them being very comfortable accurate? Is it possible that they might be less comfy than he thinks they are? Perhaps one of them at least could come down to be used in the warmer weather in the hopes that it might not be as good as he thinks it it, and then he might be ameniable to rehoming both?

Full disclosure; I have never married, but I have watched my peers husband-wrangling and know you sometimes need to go about things in an oblique manner to get to (your) desired result.

Finished a book today and toddled off to the central library to return it and three others. Came out with four more. Gosh, but I love libraries, it's such an efficient way for bookworms like myself to feed our habit. It (almost) makes up for spending 1/12th of my net income each year on council tax.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 9th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 29,554 Thanks
    MMF007
    Slinky, that's just it! Neither of us has used them for at least 2 years but prob 4 years!!
    We have permanently outdoors chairs, green plastic, comfy enough but don't recline.
    DH is a strapping bloke, 6 foot and strong, but funnily enough it was usually me (vertically challenged!) that had to wrestle said sunloungers down stairs (we have no shed or other suitable storage). You can see why I want rid of them?!

Did you sell yours? Perhaps getting money for them would make it easier....

Oooh, GQ, naughty GQ, the evil genius!! Perhaps it might so happen that one of the springs has, er gone - mwah, ha, ha. I like it.
    Last edited by MMF007; 09-04-2018 at 8:32 PM. Reason: My genius virtual friend had a great suggestion
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Apr 18, 8:25 PM
    • 5,449 Posts
    • 25,622 Thanks
    Slinky
    Ours were stuck in the shed, but the cushions were in the back of the loft, can you see how they were destined to never see daylight?!

Sadly no, we got nothing for them, and they were in as-new condition. I was just glad to see the back of them.
    • greent
    • By greent 9th Apr 18, 10:00 PM
    • 7,360 Posts
    • 74,588 Thanks
    greent
    spending 1/12th of my net income each year on council tax.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Crazy, isn't it. As a couple (family) we spend 1/12th of our joint net annual salaries on our CTax!

DS3 has been sorting in his room today and the equivalent of around 3 full bin liners of things have been ejected - mostly for selling on (money goes to the child whose toy it was originally, so not all for DS3), but a bagful of things for the shoebox appeal and some bits for rubbish/ recycling. Still lots to do (sadly the progress so far has been all in 'hidden' areas , so not much visible progress to the untrained eye) but he was fab (DS2 spent the same amount of time in his room and got rid of 2 McDs toys and 3 bits of rubbish....)

I've got bids on 2 of the items on flebay from my kitchen sort out and a good number of watchers on others, so am hopeful of more items disappearing. Also have 2 large bags full of various items for CS, so will be taking those along sometime later this week (will combine with doing something else, rather than a special trip out)
    Last edited by greent; 10-04-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £6100/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £658.15/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • wort
    • By wort 10th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 10,515 Thanks
    wort
    Right it's pouring down, and I'm off work so feeling the urge came on here to see what inspiration there was to be had. We were on page 2, I was having palpitations! !
    I'll just have to mosey on round and see if there's anything that can go!
    Anyone nearby need some kondoing? ?
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,871Posts Today

8,484Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks so much to all who watched @itvMLshow LIVE last night. The ratings are in at 2.4m and 12% share, lower tha? https://t.co/Jj62j1fV5F

• RT @stomp_3k: Oh @MartinSLewis would be proud proud of me went sim free on my mobile contract renewal and bought my handset outright saving?

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Wales Govt steps up to help ?severely mentally impaired? access crucial council tax discount after MSE campaign - BUT M?

• Follow Martin