Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,199Posts
    • 24,042Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 33
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 13th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 6,851 Posts
    • 43,330 Thanks
    Pooky
    Polly - long haired black and white cats always have the most amazing personalities. We lost our huge ball of black and white fluff last year and I really miss the hugs (yes proper paw each side of the neck and pulling you in, hugs) and the sheer mischievous nature he had.

I have never read the book, I!!!8217;m just taking the principles that work for me (getting rid of clutter and grouping stuff together logically) and the rest can fall besides the way side.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 13th Mar 18, 9:10 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 3,378 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Wizzbang and Igamogam

I think that's the difference for a lot of people - rather than trying to think up better solutions to *store* things it makes them reevaluate what things they really want to keep. It's easy to get embroiled in the nitty gritty of trying to store everything more efficiently without actually really checking that the item is one worth storing. That's what changed my ideas about my Stuff.

So although I haven't followed it to the letter, gathering things together certainly makes you face up to duplicates of items and makes it easier to rank things properly. I've been able to release stuff that otherwise I'd have kept thinking that I loved it but when seen with its other compatriots I've realised I don't.

Hope this makes sense. But then again, whilst i rarely remember to thank everything that has left, there have been times when I've been able to see that something has served it's purpose and should be let go. (Plus I do speak to, shout at and thank the radio, the TV, inanimate objects around the home, cash machines and self service tills so you might want to filter any of my comments through that knowledge )

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Mar 18, 10:23 AM
    • 769 Posts
    • 10,172 Thanks
    wort
    Well said Daisy, I think k like a lot of people on this thread the method is the first time we've cleared clutter and it's stayed away. Even to the extent that we don't buy as much and carefully consider each purchase.
    Talking to items aside the principles are sound and most of us clear responsibly by recycling.

Polly, I was the same my cat is short haired and I said I wasn't getting more pets , but couldn't resist the little face on the rescue site. What I was doing looking at it in the first place who knows!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 13th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 3,768 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    ScotinLondon I am a terrible procrastinator. I do think timetabling, as MMF007 suggests, is key - don't try to do too much at once, and programme in some breaks. Often it's not that because the task is difficult, we put it off because we're scared of failing or we anticipate that we are going to feel negative emotions. Build in rewards, eg revise for two hours and then watch an episode of your current box set. And use your phone or a timer - my weakness is thinking 'I've worked really hard, so now I'll have a cuppa' and finding an hour later, I'm still reading blogs or catching up on here!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Thank you both, MMF007 & PWD It does help to know that I am not alone out there with the procrastination bug.
    I enjoy the course that I am currently doing (had the exam on Friday gone and it went bad), so I am not sure. I do as PWD does too - work for an hour and then take a break as a reward, which obviously becomes longer. I have been like this for a long time - A-levels, Uni degree, all the past exams that I have done too...I think I need to work out how to change my mind set.

I also don't normally get home until gone 7pm, sometimes later (I work in London so have a long commute), cook, clean up etc by that time it can be 9pm when I can study...I just need to work on a better routine for me I think...try and batch cook more on the weekends and also prep food for the week on the weekend to, so all I need to do is throw it together when I get home.

Lots to think about for me I think.

On a MK note - i will be going through all the CDs that we don't currently listen too, see if i want to transfer over to the external hard drive and then sell them. Only a small box to go through, so hopefully won't take long to go through them and decide.

Have a good rest of the day all

SILx
    D17/J18 £75.27; J/F18 £64.79; F/M £124.01; M/A £40.05/£130.00
    CCC - £26.00
    Lunch2work 14/20 J18; 10/19 F18; 3/17 A18
    GNSD 18/31 J18; 15/28 F18; 7/31 M18; 7/30A18
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Mar 18, 4:30 PM
    • 3,698 Posts
    • 59,375 Thanks
    silvasava
    Daisy - you've hit the nail on the head for me - that's exactly what I'm doing now. I have replaced some items that are no longer joyful for something better or more suited but now I look at items and think - am I going to use this? If so when? If not why am I keeping it!

Scot - could you do some studying while commuting? even 20 mins will help?

Wort & Polly - yup I said no more fur babies too - until a proper princess needed a home! Long haired Siberian with a VERY fine undercoat that gets everywhere!! BTW she came with a slicker brush but was completely disdainful of it so its now in my cleaning trug and works a treat on getting the fluff/hair/cotton out of the brush rollers on the hoover!!

Kondoing 2 pillows from my stash to DS1 today - bit more room in the airing cupboard
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 13th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 8,680 Thanks
    catshark88
    Scot, that commute sounds tough. DH did 4 hours a day+ for many years and it was horrid.
    Last edited by catshark88; 13-03-2018 at 9:16 PM.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • greent
    • By greent 13th Mar 18, 10:52 PM
    • 7,011 Posts
    • 71,599 Thanks
    greent
    I quite like the MK principles - I think a big change for me was not seeing what I wanted to get rid of but flipping it to what I actually wanted to keep. And I have a very joy sparking potato peeler! (it's comfy and it does the job fantastically - unlike a Sabatier one I had which was useless and not comfortable to use)

Took two bags to CS today filled with mainly some clothes and books. I haven't read most of the books but they have been in my 'to be read' bookcase for 2+ years and realistically these ones aren't going to get read - I keep passing them over for more interesting sounding ones. I released 23 books and still have 2 shelves full to read (I did have the whole cupboard full, double stacked at one point, so massive progress has been made)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £877.49/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £491.03/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £13869.38/£18694.38
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Mar 18, 7:40 AM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 40,421 Thanks
    Floss
    Greent snap - I had a book-release session yesterday and have 17 in the boot for a CS drop. Me & DH do have "keeping" authors that we re-read, but I also pick up books in CS that then get redonated.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Mar 18, 8:46 AM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 24,042 Thanks
    Slinky
    Oh I'm so glad that books are a current topic, I logged in to ask specifically about books. My OH has an Ipad. Is it possible to download books to read on an Ipad? He keeps buying books, at the moment it seems almost fortnightly a knock at the door brings another purchase from Amazon. However his actual reading appears to be confined to a Sunday paper and Twitter! If he bought the electronic version it would stop the increasing physical clutter coming through the front door. I'm reluctant to purchase a Kindle if he could read on his Ipad.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 14th Mar 18, 9:37 AM
    • 954 Posts
    • 22,995 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Yes, you can download the Kindle app to an ipad - it won't be quite the same eg some Kindles have special lighting to make it easier to read, but it's perfectly functional. However ... if he really loves books, reading on a Kindle may not fulfill his needs. Do you know why he isn't reading the books he buys?
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 14th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 257 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Oh I'm so glad that books are a current topic, I logged in to ask specifically about books. My OH has an Ipad. Is it possible to download books to read on an Ipad? He keeps buying books, at the moment it seems almost fortnightly a knock at the door brings another purchase from Amazon. However his actual reading appears to be confined to a Sunday paper and Twitter! If he bought the electronic version it would stop the increasing physical clutter coming through the front door. I'm reluctant to purchase a Kindle if he could read on his Ipad.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I download and read on an iPad mini with no problems except the amount of money I spend on them. The CS was cheaper at 3 for a quid.
    • Bigjenny
    • By Bigjenny 14th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 5,714 Thanks
    Bigjenny
    If you belong to the local library service, many have online services including books, newspaper and magazines.
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
    • cbsexec
    • By cbsexec 14th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 1,939 Thanks
    cbsexec
    Just to jump in and say that MK is the only method that has worked for me so far. My clothes and underwear are so tidy it is amazing!!! They have stayed that way since I started MK over 18 months ago. I have been untidy all my life. I quite agree that it is a change of "lifestyle" that is needed (the same as weight loss) but I think thats what MK does. It helps you change your lifestyle.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Mar 18, 1:47 PM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 24,042 Thanks
    Slinky
    Do you know why he isn't reading the books he buys?
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    They're business books in the main. I think they're things he thinks he 'should' read, but the reading itself is pretty dull. Maybe some of these dull books will be going on holiday with us!

Thanks for the info, I'll suggest he buys downloadable copies in future.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 24,042 Thanks
    Slinky
    To my shame, I've just been moving bits of furniture in my office and vaccing behind them. Behind one I found a letter dated February 2009......

A huge collection of dead woodlice wrapped in cat fur have been despatched, and I'm just about to visit the post office with some recyclable printer cartridges to go back to HP. Will fish out some bits for the CS to go as well.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 24,042 Thanks
    Slinky
    Yay, cartridges, a bag of books, a CD and a collection of used stamps have been distributed along our local High St. I now have a very visible gap in the book case where I gave away a boxed collection of Michael Palin travel books which have sat there unread for must be 10 years at least. I better reorganise the shelf a bit so the gap's less obvious before he says he 'might' have read them............
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 14th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    • 3,467 Posts
    • 31,794 Thanks
    maddiemay
    3 rather lovely balls of yarn bought ages ago for a project that is now beyond my physical capabilities given to my knitting guru, baby steps, but it all counts
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 14th Mar 18, 8:27 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 8,680 Thanks
    catshark88
    I felt so much better when I got rid of excess books. Now my shelves are glowing with books I actively want to read or re-read. It was hard to do, but I'm so glad I did them.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Mar 18, 7:03 AM
    • 11,994 Posts
    • 75,067 Thanks
    kittie
    My physical book library is becoming smaller by the week. I will not be releasing my remaining prof health books but still they are down to 1/3. Two fiction books are going this week, I seldom read fiction twice but a few I will never let go, like the pillars of the earth. I still have some thick books to read like Robert Harris and Conn Iggulden and they will go in due course but I know I am putting off getting used to my kindle, which is a voyage because I wanted the adaptive light. I think I have only ever read two books on it but I need to learn how to use it properly, the page flip for example. Like everything else digital, I have been putting it off. I shall need to download instructions

Yarn has been turned into a useful garment, which I am liking to wear in this weather, noro hanabatake into a cosy overtop

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/al-fresco-3

and soon to be made

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nola-cloche

I am thinking about releasing some chocolate moulds, had them quite a long time and never made any chocolates
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 15th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 6,851 Posts
    • 43,330 Thanks
    Pooky
    12 books and a Jigsaw went merrily off to the CS yesterday. I can!!!8217;t get on with electronic books and am quite happy to pick up paperbacks at bootsales/CS and our local book exchange. There are maybe 10 left on the shelf to read and maybe 10 books that are part of the furniture, an old dictionary that my dad covered in 70s sticky backed plastic that I just can not part with, DHs first copy of LOTR, a book written by his friend, 3 books written by my friend, a kids story book that DDs loved and I!!!8217;m keeping for grandkids and a couple of nice copies of The Night before Christmas that were DDs. I don!!!8217;t do recipe books or the like.

I kondod one of my favourite mugs yesterday....or rather the dishwasher did, it was in bits as it came out. How daft to be upset over a mug but I suppose it does show that we do attach joy to things.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,339Posts Today

5,859Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin