Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,191Posts
    • 23,980Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 32
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 10th Mar 18, 5:45 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 18,529 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I took my dds shoeshopping this afternoon, and it took us 4 hours, but they now both have new shoes! The dds were really good, listened (mostly), enjoyed the drinks and choc chip biscuits I had packed. We even managed to get dd1's cowboy-y boots on a 40% discount.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 508,05 = 443.74
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68= 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31= 2,969.05
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 10th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 22,866 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Wort thanks Invisible Cat became very audible at 6 am today, when breakfast was required, although after that I was apparently too scary to be in the same room! Tonight he's been eating Dreamies and allowing tummy rubs, so I hope he's not going back under the bed. He has the name he was given by the rehoming place, but I'm not sure if that's sticking ...

I'm suddenly getting the urge to go through cupboards and throw stuff out again. Friends are planning a boot sale, so I might save some stuff and see if I can sell anything.

I discovered to my chagrin that I Kondoed the spare cat litter tray last year, and IC is a cat who needs two ... an expensive trip to the big pet store this afternoon.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Mar 18, 8:46 AM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 59,191 Thanks
    silvasava
    Wort - could you use a seed tray for IC in the short term? I'm assuming when he settles he'll go outside? Must admit mine will go outside for a wee occasionally but prefers her litter tray - I did tell DH that I prefer to use the loo inside in the warm why should she be any different
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 11th Mar 18, 3:02 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 8,680 Thanks
    catshark88
    Pets are wonderful, but they can help you Kondo the s!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 11th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 22,866 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    It's me, not Wort, with the invisible cat! I did think about a seed tray but he's quite a big chap and I thought I might get a lot of litter kicked out. I'm expecting him to go outside eventually but need to keep him in for a few weeks. For some reason he needs a No.1 tray and a No.2 tray, if you get my drift ... never had this before. I was gobsmacked at the amount some people will apparently pay for a cat litter tray! I got a cheap one, and discovered that their cat litter was half the price I'm paying, so it's all evened out. And he's worth it
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 11th Mar 18, 6:30 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 3,761 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    Can I come back in? I haven't posted for a long time. RL been busy but have been MKing in the background.

Our loft is now nearly completely clear - a few card board boxes & a fan. This is a good thing, as it is very difficult for me and hubby to get the ladder down. I am tiny and hubby seems to have shrunk a bit. We will look to get a longer step ladder for our use, where one of the uses will be to get the loft ladder down.

All hubby's DVD's have gone to the charity shop. I did mention that we can sell them through music magpie etc but he got so disheartened by the monies you would get in return that he just decided that he didn't want to sell, just give away.

A lot of stuff from the shed at the back - we have got rid of via Gumtree, Freecycle or charity shop.

A lot of stuff has left this house...no new books, DVDs or CDs coming into the house.

There is a charity bag already in the kitchen, so anything that is no use for us, will get put into the charity shop bag straightaway and then i take it the local charity shop.

Lots more still to do, we will get there.

Now my next MKing will be personal, as I need to learn how to stop procrastinating and learn how to study better for my re-exam in June...This will be an interesting experiment for me, as I am the queen of procrastination and will do and think of everything else but study...

Have a good rest of the evening..

SILx
    D17/J18 75.27; J/F18 64.79; F/M 124.01; M/A 40.05/130.00
    CCC - 26.00
    Lunch2work 14/20 J18; 10/19 F18; 3/17 A18
    GNSD 18/31 J18; 15/28 F18; 7/31 M18; 7/30A18
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 11th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 27,598 Thanks
    MMF007
    Hi ScotinLondon, good to see you back! You have certainly been busy!! Sounds like you have made great progress.
    I am a procrastinator by nature but I can get very focusssed if something really grabs my attention. When i had to study for professional exams as a mature student who was working full time as well, I gave myself a good talking to agreed with myself to work 3 hours every week night except one, and all of Saturday morning. I stuck to it for the months required and it paid off. It was a bit of a revelation to me that I could stick to the work and work to deadlines! Good luck SiL, you can do it.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Mar 18, 10:08 PM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 59,191 Thanks
    silvasava
    Sorry Polly! All I can think is that IC is a very well brought up puss! BTW we buy our cat litter in liddly - our prima Donna finds it acceptable
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 12th Mar 18, 12:06 AM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 9,923 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    It's me, not Wort, with the invisible cat! I did think about a seed tray but he's quite a big chap and I thought I might get a lot of litter kicked out. I'm expecting him to go outside eventually but need to keep him in for a few weeks. For some reason he needs a No.1 tray and a No.2 tray, if you get my drift ... never had this before. I was gobsmacked at the amount some people will apparently pay for a cat litter tray! I got a cheap one, and discovered that their cat litter was half the price I'm paying, so it's all evened out. And he's worth it
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    I recommend Wilko for cheap, yet quality pet supplies - we got their covered litter tray (around 10-12, I think) as we were fed up of how poor the aim of our little kitties is! No more newspaper needed on the floor which is also hard to get hold of now that free newspapers are a thing of the past here. Their functional cat litter is amongst the cheapest too. I recommend keeping one on hand, you never know when your cat will be ill and need to stay, or stay in due to weather (like the recent snow). Even handy if you need to shut them in because of fireworks, a rogue cat or a neighbour spraying weedkiller etc.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 34,570.30
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks 2,413.50
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Mar 18, 8:18 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 22,866 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Thank you for those tips, I haven't really questioned the price before - I've just been buying it from my nearest supermarket. Which is Waitrose .... and as I type that, I feel a bit stupid because obviously they're not going to be the cheapest! I usually do a big shop at a discount supermarket and just buy milk and veg at Waities, it is literally five minutes walk away. Quite why I've never looked elsewhere for cat litter, I don't know.

As I type this IC (really must settle on a name!) is head butting my arm. He's really settled in, and I'm very happy.

ScotinLondon I am a terrible procrastinator. I do think timetabling, as MMF007 suggests, is key - don't try to do too much at once, and programme in some breaks. Often it's not that because the task is difficult, we put it off because we're scared of failing or we anticipate that we are going to feel negative emotions. Build in rewards, eg revise for two hours and then watch an episode of your current box set. And use your phone or a timer - my weakness is thinking 'I've worked really hard, so now I'll have a cuppa' and finding an hour later, I'm still reading blogs or catching up on here!
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 12th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 8,680 Thanks
    catshark88
    Our cat found the covered box helpful too, it really seems to help if they are shy.

Great for keeping the litter in place too!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 12th Mar 18, 3:03 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 9,923 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    Thank you for those tips, I haven't really questioned the price before - I've just been buying it from my nearest supermarket. Which is Waitrose .... and as I type that, I feel a bit stupid because obviously they're not going to be the cheapest! I usually do a big shop at a discount supermarket and just buy milk and veg at Waities, it is literally five minutes walk away. Quite why I've never looked elsewhere for cat litter, I don't know.

As I type this IC (really must settle on a name!) is head butting my arm. He's really settled in, and I'm very happy.

ScotinLondon I am a terrible procrastinator. I do think timetabling, as MMF007 suggests, is key - don't try to do too much at once, and programme in some breaks. Often it's not that because the task is difficult, we put it off because we're scared of failing or we anticipate that we are going to feel negative emotions. Build in rewards, eg revise for two hours and then watch an episode of your current box set. And use your phone or a timer - my weakness is thinking 'I've worked really hard, so now I'll have a cuppa' and finding an hour later, I'm still reading blogs or catching up on here!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    We kept the names both our rescue cats had been given at cats protection. So we have a Ghost because he came into them at Halloween (he was a kitten). And a Rosie, she was 2 so had presumably been named by the previous owner(s). They both suit their names well. With my previous cat, I spent a very long time thinking of a suitable name for her and came up with Willow!

Sorry for jumping in slightly off topic, I can't resist when the subject of cats comes up. But to add my two-penneth to the thread - I read the Kon Marie book at the end of 2015, you can read my full book review here: https://minimalistexposure.wordpress.com/2015/12/05/the-life-changing-magic-of-tidying-up-by-marie-kondo/ but I really think she's crazy. I've been a minimalist since 2012 and prefer to just keep tackling it steadily. I believe it's like dieting, doesn't work - you need a lifestyle change that you then completely change your habits to maintain. That's why I don't agree with The Minimalists challenge as a method either. But perhaps some people need that kick start?
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 34,570.30
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks 2,413.50
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 40,133 Thanks
    Floss
    Our Whisky prefers her covered tray - we always shut the door when going to the loo so why shouldn't she?!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,413 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Loving all the cat stories, what colour. markings is IC?

Had a productive convo this aft with the Red X to ask if they could take the glass plate/ turntable out of the dead microwave? Very much so, and the little plastic thing with the rollers on it that fits underneath and even the cable (!) I was pleased and astonished, I shall be stripping the re-usable parts out of it before it goes for recycling (they can recycle cables for money, apparently, and people ask for the plate and spinning thing. Who knew?

I hate waste but I think microwaves are pretty much unrepairable and this one dates from 1997/98, so doesn't owe anybody anything.

It occurs to me that I may have been putting some stuff into the appliance recycling at the tip which could have been recycled for the cause, so will be sure to ask in future.

Hope everyone is having a good day, GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 12th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 3,464 Posts
    • 31,767 Thanks
    maddiemay
    3 lightly worn, expensive to purchase bras and a lovely warm grey flannel LA maxi skirt which is almost 2 sizes too big for me now (sobs quietly) dropped into local dog rescue charity shop, they do such good work, are very appreciative of donations and price things much lower than most of the national ones here. Expensive well heeled retired and county types and a lot of tourists, which puts things out of the reach of the rest of the population, min wage, just basic pensions etc.

While I was there I spied a 7" spring form cake tin, which I could have done with yesterday as I had to make a mincemeat cake for OH in a 8" one. Not premium quality, but not tinny either so a snip at 1.50.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 5,191 Posts
    • 23,980 Thanks
    Slinky
    Loving all the cat stories, what colour. markings is IC?

Had a productive convo this aft with the Red X to ask if they could take the glass plate/ turntable out of the dead microwave? Very much so, and the little plastic thing with the rollers on it that fits underneath and even the cable (!) I was pleased and astonished, I shall be stripping the re-usable parts out of it before it goes for recycling (they can recycle cables for money, apparently, and people ask for the plate and spinning thing. Who knew?

I hate waste but I think microwaves are pretty much unrepairable and this one dates from 1997/98, so doesn't owe anybody anything.

It occurs to me that I may have been putting some stuff into the appliance recycling at the tip which could have been recycled for the cause, so will be sure to ask in future.

Hope everyone is having a good day, GQ xx
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    We have a business about 15 miles away which repairs microwaves, you could try a t'internet search in your area just in case.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 228,413 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I'll let it go, it was my late Nan's and was saved from being skipped when we cleared her rented bungalow 18 months ago; unless it could be repaired with change from a fiver, it's not economic for me to fix something which I never bought new and have no intentions of replacing. But thank you for the suggestion.

Been on the new-to-me lottie. No real surprises as it's right beside my existing allotment. Have been picking rubbishy stuff out of the long grass (mainly old flowerpots, plant trays, cut down pop bottles used as cloches). I have consolidated this mess into a broken trug and will, later on, wash up and recycle all the plastics, but this is a very long way from being my first priority.

I have started constructing the first burn pile, over some knackered trellis propped up into an A-frame. I know from experience that this shape is excellent for drying things out and burns merrily.

A lot of nasties, like the bramble canes, will be reduced to productive woodash by the end of the month. It's a good way to get woody carp out of there.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 3,831 Posts
    • 45,978 Thanks
    camelot1001
    During the recent snow cat litter was in great demand round here to use instead of grit. A local taxi driver keeps a bag of it in his boot!
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 12th Mar 18, 8:23 PM
    • 5,541 Posts
    • 45,376 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Sorry for jumping in slightly off topic, I can't resist when the subject of cats comes up. But to add my two-penneth to the thread - I read the Kon Marie book at the end of 2015, you can read my full book review here: https://minimalistexposure.wordpress.com/2015/12/05/the-life-changing-magic-of-tidying-up-by-marie-kondo/ but I really think she's crazy. I've been a minimalist since 2012 and prefer to just keep tackling it steadily. I believe it's like dieting, doesn't work - you need a lifestyle change that you then completely change your habits to maintain. That's why I don't agree with The Minimalists challenge as a method either. But perhaps some people need that kick start?
    Originally posted by Wizzbang
    Oh Wizzbang............I loved your review and you said exactly what I thought when I read it (only managed 2 thirds as I was beginning to shout at it). Wish I had got it from the library - wasted hard earned cash on it However I did do the sock drawer thing..................and 3 years on it is still in the same......well organised but I havent applied it to anything else - - just made me realise I needed to get rid of stuff and its taking me so long as I am being very responsible about it - could have hired a couple of skips and done it in a weekend but I pleased to say everything has been found a new owner or been recycled or indeed used up - only that that has died in storage has gone into the bin. So maybe reading 2 thirds did give me the kickup the backside I needed..............but I haven't really kept to KM principles - dont think I could talk to my possessions
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Mar 18, 11:44 PM
    • 944 Posts
    • 22,866 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    IC is black with white socks. He is also long haired. He'd been with me about five minutes before I saw a tuft of hair on the carpet, and recalled that after my previous longhair died, I swore never, ever again would I have one ... gonna be doing a lot of hoovering in future I think! He's lovely.

Each to their own, Wizzbang - this is the first method that's worked for me. I think you take from it what you want, nobody says you have to follow it to the letter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin