Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,241Posts
    • 24,219Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 31
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,867 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Daisy that's great, thank you! Polly too! I love the cartoon, and that sense of "documenting to prove ..." is mine as well, notably in the genealogy stuff. I always talk about a descendant born on Mars in 300 years time returning to Earth to find out about the family, but I'm sort of the Martian really

A dead anorak has been taken to a cs for ragging - I cut the buttons off and cut myself a big chunk of needlecord to accompany the patchwork, as it was **very** ragged anyway ...
    Retired August 2016
    • wort
    • By wort 9th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 10,214 Thanks
    wort
    Oh Polly, how lovely a Kittie!
    What is he/she called ? Has it got a name yet?

Started a mini sort in the garage ,put my disposal gloves used for painting into a tupper ware as the box was damp , similar had happened to a box with cement in, so that's also in plastic tub.
    A box of plant feed was destroyed too so it went on the garden .had a little mooch in garden emptied a pot of plants into the flower beds, a few more to go but need to think of the best spot.
    My sister called so didn't get anymore done.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 9th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 28,118 Thanks
    MMF007
    Ta-da! I went out for a long lunch with 2 lovely friends, got home to find DH had kondo'd a lot of shrubs and the winter debris from the garden and the lttile alleyway at the back of our house.
    It looks lovely and tidy

Now if only I could persuade him we can release the dratted sunloungers! I have had them in my sights for ages. We haven't used them for at least 2 summers and they are too bulky for me to easily move (they are stored on the stairhead so they are above shoulder height, because we have no other storage big enough in our v.small terraced house!). We have 2 other sunchairs that live outside on the patio and are in use all summer.
    Hmmmm.
    The only way I have found to 'help' DH agree to release stuff is to find someone who wants the items and then he seems better able to let go. I shall put the word out and see if I get any interest!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 9th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 8,680 Thanks
    catshark88
    Another bag of textiles went in the recycling bin. More noticeably, my boiler went in the skip too (but was replaced). We did get to recycle the old manuals for it (but sadly they were replaced too...).
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,219 Thanks
    Slinky
    MMF if your sunloungers are only 2 years unused you've done better than us. I managed to persuade OH to part with a pair we'd never used in the 16 years we've been together. They went last Summer.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 9th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 28,118 Thanks
    MMF007
    MMF if your sunloungers are only 2 years unused you've done better than us. I managed to persuade OH to part with a pair we'd never used in the 16 years we've been together. They went last Summer.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    OMG, do you mean I have to wait anothrr 14 years before he'll release them?? Arrggghhh
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Mar 18, 6:09 AM
    • 12,181 Posts
    • 76,423 Thanks
    kittie
    I woke up thinking about my filing cabinet, now just a glory hole but still a tidy bit of wooden furniture but it is bulky and looks like a filing cabinet. It adds too much bulk to my study and I want to move it before selling the house. I almost thought of getting rid but now think it could well be useful for storage in a new utility/conservatory/ workshop. Good job I went on pinterest, I almost dismantled the drawers, so I will pay someone to move it whole to my new property, when I get the garden/workshop moved, similar with my butchers block. Argh, why do I have so much office furniture, two desks but dh and I had one each and one is suitable for sewing. I can`t really do or decide anything until I get my new house and a study 9 x 9 feet would be equivalent to what I have now

Does anyone else have a filing cabinet?
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 10th Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    • 1,165 Posts
    • 5,951 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Kitty
    I have a fancy box (slightly bigger than a shoebox) which lives under my bed lol all papers and guarantees are kept in it, I only keep minimal paperwork
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Mar 18, 8:28 AM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 41,333 Thanks
    Floss
    Kittie we have 2 - one in the attic room with DHs historic papers in & one in my study with 1 drawer of my papers, 2 drawers of present stash & allotment seeds storage & one empty drawer
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    • 12,181 Posts
    • 76,423 Thanks
    kittie
    there must be a lot of filing cabinets floating around, mine is very heavy and wooden, metal obviously easier to move. Pity it is so bulky but that is the nature of the beast. It fits exactly next to my desk and makes one long desktop and the reason I have all this furniture lining the study walls, last house we bought a fitted study and obviously left it all behind, then having to buy new to hold all that stuff. Crafting more than office. I am glad it is not just me. I just looked up the cost of it and it would now be a considered purchase

I must sit on my hands. It is holding crafting things, cycling stuff and lots of receipts and instructions, even furniture receipts, for insurance and justin
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 10th Mar 18, 9:58 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 18,821 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Dd2 had worn out her shoes last week, so I threw them away and got a pair of new-to-her boots from the attic. They look like uggs, and after seeing her wear them for a week, we see that they are really awful for her posture, even though she loves them. So, this morning, I took down from the attic all 4 boxes of future shoes and both dds tried all of them on. Result: 1 boxful still too large for dd1, 1 boxful already too small for dd2. Dd1 has no proper shoes to grow into, although flipflops and crocs for this summer are sorted; same for dd2. Secondary result: we are going shoe shopping today (it is not about the money, I just get really stressed.....).

Finding the boxes, trying everything on and returning them to the attic took about 30 minutes
    Wombling to wealth 2018 549.29 = 483.30
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68= 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31= 2,969.05
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 10th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 10,083 Posts
    • 62,971 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello everyone.....can I join in again. I have kondoed before but I find the clutter just comes back.

Went through my wardrobes, three black bin liners ready for the charity shop. Wahoo. Feels better already.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 10th Mar 18, 11:55 AM
    • 10,083 Posts
    • 62,971 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    A good use for metal filing cabinets.

Get rid of the drawers, paint the carcass the colour of your choice. Add wheels - optional but helps move it around.

Makes a fabulous planter for the garden. And a fraction of the price of those posh ones you see in garden centres.

Use hammerite paint or similar.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 10th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 10,083 Posts
    • 62,971 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Tidied up the books, managed to kondoe about half a dozen. Have put some in a pile to read and then they can go when I am done.

Sorted through my toiletries. I think I probably have enough to keep me going for about a year. Oh well at least I know where they are now and I can work my way through them. It will save me some money. So win-win, tidy and organised and money saving.

A good mornings work, so off to cinema now.

Will tackle the study tomorrow.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Mar 18, 3:21 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,219 Thanks
    Slinky
    We have several filing cabinets. I had two in my office (I work from home) a 4 drawer and a 2 drawer. The 2 drawer serves as flat space to put things on and will probably not be moving to our new house. The 4 drawer is beech effect and holds a load of necessary paperwork.

OH inherited a beat up metal filing cabinet with a previous house. It lives in the shed with a load of bloke's 'come in handy' stuff in..... That will probably move with us and go in the garage.
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 10th Mar 18, 4:38 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 8,680 Thanks
    catshark88
    Welcome back Lessonlearned!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 10th Mar 18, 5:04 PM
    • 5,547 Posts
    • 45,430 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Finally, I think I have kondoed the flu bug - only the second time in my life I have had flu and it really floored me. had to put myself to bed with catch up TV and plenty of water and paracetamol for about a week - entire family away at the time too. Just me and the cat. So took another week really to shake off the tiredness and not have an afternoon nap. Returned to work on Friday and was well and truly wiped that the end of the day but today I feel OK so I think its been knocked on the head

So not a great deal of kondoing going - bags ready to go to CS and stuff sorted for a charity fundraiser next weekend. Did take a dead toaster and some cardboard boxes to the recycle centre today and a couple of small sales on Eb*y.........all helps
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • Susan1962
    • By Susan1962 10th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 4,393 Thanks
    Susan1962
    Apologies if anyone has already posted this. Book but just sent me a link for the "Spark Joy" e-book currently 1.99 on Amazon in ask anyone wants a copy. A bit more reasonale than the full 13!!
    Last edited by Susan1962; 10-03-2018 at 5:10 PM. Reason: Typo
    Almost there - mortgage free wannabe! 1000 to go!
    • Susan1962
    • By Susan1962 10th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 4,393 Thanks
    Susan1962
    After many attempts I think e finally finished with books as I no loner get them as gifts being a Kindle covert.
    Almost there - mortgage free wannabe! 1000 to go!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 3,726 Posts
    • 59,832 Thanks
    silvasava
    We're having a jumble at the sailing club on Easter Monday in aid of a local children's hospice. I've got a bag in the spare room that's slowly filling up. I have gained something today though - went to the tip and had a rummage through the fridges and freezers and found two drawers to replace the broken one and the missing one in my freezer. Well pleased!
    I have passed on a pair of shoes to a friend and a tool to punch holes and make eyelets to another friend. Two things out and two things in - equilibrium maintained
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,702Users online

Martin's Twitter