Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,199Posts
    • 24,031Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 29
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 11,861 Posts
    • 228,707 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Gosh, I hope not, want to be planting potatoes about the third week in March!

Just been told by a neighbour that someone's flytipped a microwave by the communal bins near my flat. Assure her that mine is still sitting on my kitchen counter............ !
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 6th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 27,762 Thanks
    MMF007
    So, we were snowed in. Good time to kondo. ???? Well the trouble is I kondo'd some of my art supplies into paintings. I now have 4 paintings sitting on the sideboard while I decide whether to get any framed ( probably 2 impressionist scenes are worth serious consideration, although my 13 y.o. nephew loves the abstract with lots of (fake) gold leaf on it!) . I did have a lovely time though!

I have 2 bags of komono to take to CS. Forget to drop them off yester! Need to do CS visit asap because a client who resides in a care home has asked me to find her a jumper at a CS and as it is her birthday next week I said I'd treat her if that is what she wants. All my clients get a little gift on their birthdays and I have found some lovely things in CS so they get good quailty items within my budget. As many of you have said, releasing stuff to CS means other folk can get the pleasure
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Mar 18, 9:12 AM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 24,031 Thanks
    Slinky

Just been told by a neighbour that someone's flytipped a microwave by the communal bins near my flat.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I wonder if it works..........
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 6th Mar 18, 9:23 AM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 11,751 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Fascinating, carrie! I don't have many rellies actually in Liverpool any more, so the first time I heard of people moving **to** Liverpool (as opposed to migrants and sailors just ending up there) was about ten years ago. And my first thought when I read your post was "ooh, how lucky!" It wouldn't suit me to move cities nowadays, but I do love going back.
    Originally posted by Karmacat

I came here to go to uni and never left. I love it

Can't leave now anyway as I'm married to a scouser
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 06-03-2018 at 9:28 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 5,199 Posts
    • 24,031 Thanks
    Slinky
    Sadly my scammer doesn't appear to be playing the game. I'll wait for the next one to come through.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Mar 18, 9:42 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I gave some books away at the weekend and said that I didn't want them back after he had read them.

I am about to use up the end of a conditioner and a moisturiser. The moisturiser was the B range from Superdrug and it held quite a lot for such a small bottle.

It's really annoying me that the rubbish wasn't picked up because of the snow last week. We have three cats so we fill up the bin quickly with their cat litter!

I am going gluten-free for a month so I went through the cupboards last night and my husband and I ate all the wheat crackers and stuff for supper. I don't want it in the house to tempt me.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 6th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 18,590 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Last week, a colleague gave me some snowpants her sons had outgrown, for my dds. They are quite neutral colours, so I have stored them in my attic

She said she had also added some old bath towels that were suitable for picknicks and fort-building only. I had a look at them last night, and they are huge, and look very much new! They are still very soft and fluffy, in nice colours, no stains. Now, I know she used to be married to a banker, and they owned several properties, and after their divorce the banker retired at age 44, so they led a very different life compared to mine. But the level of what people regard as old and no longer fit for use continues to amaze me. The towels are now in the donation box
    Wombling to wealth 2018 508,05 = 443.74
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68= 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31= 2,969.05
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 6th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 27,762 Thanks
    MMF007
    CS stuff dropped off and 3 pictures bought so I can reclaim the frames! One frame in particular is very nice, even the inner mount is pretty special. My mini masterpiece () is nicely framed in the perfect dove-grey frame with white mount. Cost 2.99 . Also bought a slightly larger frame that will fit the bling-y abstract painting but further investigation indicates it already holds an original pencil sketch that is rather nice. Need to do the joy test and maybe re-think it. Frame needs slight restoration but nothing major.

Only other kondo-ing is recycling, all sorted and awaiting kerbside collection.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 6th Mar 18, 4:48 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Off to the CS tomorrow on my way to the hairdressers to donate a large bag of mixed clothes and kitchen bits. Might see if I can throw in a few of OH's bits without him noticing.....a couple of CD's maybe??
    DMP March '15 57,549. Now 44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... 22 /300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 6th Mar 18, 7:50 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 8,680 Thanks
    catshark88
    2 books went to a friend who is stuck in bed. Hopefully she will enjoy them.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • wort
    • By wort 6th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 10,169 Thanks
    wort
    Grey Queen can I ask your recycling knowledge ?
    The large 10 litre plastic paint pot is empty now, can I put it in normal domestic black bin or better still in brown plastics bin?
    I know paint can't go in but if it's empty?
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Mar 18, 7:00 AM
    • 11,991 Posts
    • 75,047 Thanks
    kittie
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    I deliberately never lost my Liverpool accent, left there at 18, newcastle, wales lakes etc. I suppose it was a toned down accent but very recogniseable and when I got a teaching job in a `tough` area in s wales, then my accent was invaluable. The teenagers thought I was really `hard` because of the accent and the Liverpool ways

I had the best sleep last night, no hip/knee/leg ache, ached for weeks every single night, really bad. I pulled the electric underblanket off yesterday and suddenly my legs felt fine. Doh, it was those wires, couldn`t really feel them with my hand but obviously pressed into me all night. It is going after a week or so to one side. I need to to be sure but am pretty sure it was that. What price a good nights sleep

I have re-started MK combined with early spring cleaning, the skirtings etc
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 7th Mar 18, 8:13 AM
    • 5,145 Posts
    • 75,680 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I worked in Birkenhead for a couple of years - lived in Chester. I still say "wirched in Berchen-ed" (with a long k sound rather than Ch.) and I still say someone is 'nesh'

Still kondoing stuff going back into the study. Found DS's nursery book on Sunday "J played with the trains today; J played with the trains with Johnny today; J did a puzzle today - it was the train one;" And, significantly "J told us his news and HE DIDN'T MENTION TRAINS".. 15 or so years on J does still like his trains - but doesn't admit it to his mates. And the book is staying
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Mar 18, 9:16 AM
    • 3,697 Posts
    • 59,357 Thanks
    silvasava
    Energy levels improving and had a good day yesterday. Bag of rags dropped of at CS, video tapes went to tip but they're in the sale shed at the mo. Couldn't find a freezer basket but there's a bigger community tip a few miles away so will try there. Two magazines and a book dropped of for a friend who was babysitting a poorly DGS for her DiL and had no reading matter. I also managed to clear out the dead geraniums from my planters and replant with the 50 tulip bulbs that had started to sprout! Better late than never - in my defence I did have a nasty virus in December and by the time I felt anywhere near fit the weather was awful - so there!
    I need to get out now to sort out the cane supports for my blackberry and loganberries as they're all a mess - have decided not to grow potatoes in pots this year - I never seem to get a very good crop, none that really worthwhile so sticking with veg that I do better with - a sort of kondo!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 29,216 Posts
    • 166,923 Thanks
    Karmacat

Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    I suppose it was a toned down accent but very recogniseable and when I got a teaching job in a `tough` area in s wales, then my accent was invaluable. The teenagers thought I was really `hard` because of the accent and the Liverpool ways
    Originally posted by kittie
    I worked in Birkenhead for a couple of years - lived in Chester. I still say "wirched in Berchen-ed" (with a long k sound rather than Ch.) and I still say someone is 'nesh'
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    The accent's very distinctive, isn't it I've never kondoed it entirely, though because I've lived away for so long, I just have the flat northern "a" left. I put it on again occasionally, mostly to amuse small children Though its surprising the number of people in my ancestral family who hardly have an accent - broken families split up, internal migration, that sort of thing.

Birkenhead is the one name I can't pronounce in received speech - it *has* to be Berrkkkken'ead. Anything else sounds silly

Sorry for the diversion, folks! At least it can be passed over pretty quickly ...
    Retired August 2016
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    • 11,991 Posts
    • 75,047 Thanks
    kittie
    I finished my cleaning portion for the day, deep cleaning and in silence, all paintwork etc. Did another 2 bedrooms and landing and staircase today. Pacing myself as it is tiring hard work. I like silence, me and my thoughts. I need to go to the tip tomorrow, I have tins of wood hardener etc from doing the wooden retaining wall 2 years ago. Won`t need them again. Nothing much kondoed in the house but am trying hard to empty a spray bottle of window cleaner, I prefer water, window liquid and karching. Also I have an excess of granite cleaner, using one of them on metal such as ss light switches, with good results
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 7th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 12,539 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I have been moving the stuff in my house around and so I kondoed a lot of dust into the bin as it was behind some of the heavier furniture.

The binmen did come and collect the rubbish from the bins, finally.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 24/60
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 7th Mar 18, 4:19 PM
    • 11,861 Posts
    • 228,707 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Grey Queen can I ask your recycling knowledge ?
    The large 10 litre plastic paint pot is empty now, can I put it in normal domestic black bin or better still in brown plastics bin?
    I know paint can't go in but if it's empty?
    Originally posted by wort
    If you wash it up, it can go in the recycling bin.

Our authority has a list of definately non-recyclables, a list of welcome recyclables and a so-so list of things which are recyclable but we don't particularly want them as they're low value plastics. Clean paint pots, sweetie/ biscuit tubs and flowerpots fall into the so-so category here, and prolly where you live as well.

Well done on kondo-ing a big tub of paint, it's a major gap when something that size leaves, isn't it? Very pleasing.

Been to w*rk today (scuse my Klatchian ) but had taken a donation bag out with me as a convo yesterday afternoon at my fave chazzer revealed they were running a bit low on clothes. Dropped them off on the way home. I truffled three things out of my wardrobe; a lovely wool jacket, which someone else kondo'd to me, a lined skirt which I don't wear, and a light jacket I bought from the same chazzer a couple of years ago and which I've worn twice.

All are in immaculate condition and should make a few and I won't have them cluttering up my hanging rail, which is just under 3 ft wide. Win-win!

A pal texted me to say he's got the option on a 2nd hand compost Dalek for 3, did I still want one? Yup. Should be up on the lottie in the near future. Thank heavens for kind and resourceful friends.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Floss
    • By Floss 7th Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    • 4,516 Posts
    • 40,376 Thanks
    Floss
    GQ How big a squadron of Daleks will you have with rhe new recruit? We've got 4
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 7th Mar 18, 6:45 PM
    • 11,861 Posts
    • 228,707 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    GQ How big a squadron of Daleks will you have with rhe new recruit? We've got 4
    Originally posted by Floss
    Show off!

This will be only the second. The original was given to me by another plotholder over a decade ago and is still going strong. It's one of the basic black ones. Pal's text says this is a large Dalek, so mebbe one of the bigger green ones? I will meet it at some point in the next few days.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

3,034Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin