Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,136Posts
    • 23,526Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 16
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 5th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 18,229 Thanks
    Siebrie
    4 tiny bottles of hotel shower gel finished and in recycling.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 503,29 = 435.79
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68= 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31= 2,969.05
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 5th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 8,664 Thanks
    catshark88
    A very beautiful book, given to me by a dear friend, went to another dear friend. Receipient dear friend then took me on a lovely walk and bought me coffee after. A fine transaction.

I also took a gazillion, mainly Prosecco bottles to the bottle bank, where my kids had a fine time putting them in the bins. This is probably wrong on several levels... In my defence, they included all the pre Christmas drinks party and festive season bottles.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 5th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 5,136 Posts
    • 23,526 Thanks
    Slinky
    Plumber has been and our basin is now back in use again. He didn't have any fittings with him (I'd called and left a message on his voicemail and he called in on the way back from another job on the offchance of being able to sort the problem as I hadn't told him what it was). We've decided that we'll leave it until it blocks again and he'll sort out screwing the basin to the wall next time. Hopefully we can keep it clear and it won't block again whilst we're still living in this house..... I must diarise to put soda crystals down regularly.

Which reminds me, I managed to block the kitchen sink overnight. I burned a cream sauce last night and the sink blocked up even though I flushed it with a lot of water. I've unblocked it and put soda crystals down. Does anybody have a recommendation for how to store soda crystals so they don't go solid please? I usually tape the pack back up and it turns into a solid lump by the next time I want to use it.
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 5th Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 4,598 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Plumber has been and our basin is now back in use again. He didn't have any fittings with him (I'd called and left a message on his voicemail and he called in on the way back from another job on the offchance of being able to sort the problem as I hadn't told him what it was). We've decided that we'll leave it until it blocks again and he'll sort out screwing the basin to the wall next time. Hopefully we can keep it clear and it won't block again whilst we're still living in this house..... I must diarise to put soda crystals down regularly.

Which reminds me, I managed to block the kitchen sink overnight. I burned a cream sauce last night and the sink blocked up even though I flushed it with a lot of water. I've unblocked it and put soda crystals down. Does anybody have a recommendation for how to store soda crystals so they don't go solid please? I usually tape the pack back up and it turns into a solid lump by the next time I want to use it.
    Originally posted by Slinky

I use soda crystals a lot and normally put the opened packet into a large zip lock sandwich bag and they keep fine. Or maybe you could use a plastic storage container?
    DMP March '15 57,549. Now 44,430. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly, waiting for a pension pot to arrive to give it a big boost.
    Christmas '18 challenge... 22 /300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Feb 18, 5:23 PM
    • 17,773 Posts
    • 106,469 Thanks
    maman
    I use soda crystals a lot and normally put the opened packet into a large zip lock sandwich bag and they keep fine. Or maybe you could use a plastic storage container?
    Originally posted by ploppy57

I've put mine in an old milk container before now. They pour easily from that too.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 5th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 31,653 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Same as Maman, I decant into a washed and very well dried 2 litre milk carton. Washing machine and powders etc all live in a cold garage, give it a good shake every time I come to use it and flows beautifully.
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 5th Feb 18, 7:13 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 8,664 Thanks
    catshark88
    Another vote for soda crystals!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 5th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 11,339 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta

Ours seemed to be getting blocked and so I puggled a long skewer down there and removed quite a large quantity of hair by kinda pulling it up and out of the plug hole. My DH seems to think that beard dissolves in water like a Berocca.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 5th Feb 18, 9:07 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 3,278 Thanks
    daisy 1571

Slinky, rather than worry about storing soda crystals I would just NEVER PUT STUFF LIKE THAT DOWN A SINK seriously, sinks are not designed to flush away cream sauce let alone burnt cream sauce. Put it in your bucket, put it in your garden under the hedge, possibly put it down the toilet (but bear in mind toilets are designed for human waste so although bigger than a sink waste they also do not do well flushing away things other than that) but only water and water-consistent things should ever go down a sink.

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 5th Feb 18, 9:35 PM
    • 4,956 Posts
    • 39,058 Thanks
    DawnW
    I wouldn't put it down the sink, but I wouldn't want to put it under a hedge either, as that would attract rats
    Some areas have waste food collections - ours doesn't, so I scrape messes like this either into some receptacle such as a used can or jar, or onto several thicknesses of newspaper, and put in the household refuse bin.
    NSDs for April: 9 / 15

• Floss
    • By Floss 5th Feb 18, 9:39 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 39,035 Thanks
    Floss
    Ours seemed to be getting blocked and so I puggled a long skewer down there and removed quite a large quantity of hair by kinda pulling it up and out of the plug hole. My DH seems to think that beard dissolves in water like a Berocca.
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Yes mine too - and it is always me who has to clean out the shower trap
    • Charis
    • By Charis 5th Feb 18, 10:10 PM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 13,508 Thanks
    Charis
    I was speaking to a speech therapist recently who says research is now being done and trends being noted that show a rise in referrals correlating with the almost universal ownership of the smart phone and that is adult ownership.........think there some other factors too IMO but it is both interesting and worrying. Not sure what we are setting up for the future.
    Originally posted by Igamogam
    I think it also coincides with a lot of other worrying things, but correlation has never been a scientific marker for causality. The number of mothers who now have no time to talk at length to their children because they are too busy trying to fit 30 hours into a 24 hour day would be a far more likely candidate. Hence the reason the children are talking with American accents. The children listen to American accents on the TV, on their ipads and smartphones while playing games and watching cartoons, and hear each other speaking in the same way. At nursery age some children rarely hear a long piece of dialogue in standard spoken English, either at home or elsewhere.
    Last edited by Charis; 05-02-2018 at 10:16 PM. Reason: to add to the original answer
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 5th Feb 18, 10:22 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 2,277 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Yes mine too - and it is always me who has to clean out the shower trap
    Originally posted by Floss
    Thats my very worse job. Yuk
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 6th Feb 18, 8:09 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 5,525 Thanks
    Fen1
    Plughole hair catcher/ strainer. Simple device that works wonders. I have a cheap metal one, but there are some really fancy ones out there now.

I pour very little down my kitchen sink as I have a white plastic sink that stains. Stupid design. Kitchen sinks should be stainless steel. Note: stainless.

I have a long thin brush to remove any gunk.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01L1V10GO/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517904503&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sink+clea ning+brush&dpPl=1&dpID=41o%2Bu-0oH2L&ref=plSrch
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Feb 18, 8:19 AM
    • 5,136 Posts
    • 23,526 Thanks
    Slinky
    Slinky, rather than worry about storing soda crystals I would just NEVER PUT STUFF LIKE THAT DOWN A SINK seriously, sinks are not designed to flush away cream sauce let alone burnt cream sauce.

Daisy xx
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    I know, I know, I don't normally put fats down the sink for precisely this reason (we eat high fat low carb), I don't know what came over me to do this! Just getting rid of the evidence I think!

Thanks ladies, I'll get a 2 pints milk bottle next and decant the soda crystals into that.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Feb 18, 8:25 AM
    • 5,136 Posts
    • 23,526 Thanks
    Slinky
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    My OH shaves daily and I think it's a combination of slow running soap/shaving foam/beard mix and toothpaste that led to the bathroom basin becoming blocked. Modern ones have a P shaped trap rather than a U bend. There's not a lot space in behind our pedestal which rather than being U shaped has shoulders at the back which limits the space and getting the trap off is darned nigh impossible without moving the pedestal, which as we know with our one, is supporting the basin rather than just hiding the pipes behind it.

We'll have to get in the habit of running more water through it when cleaning teeth, and he'll have to dilute his 'beard soup' a bit more!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 6th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    • 5,136 Posts
    • 23,526 Thanks
    Slinky
    Plughole hair catcher/ strainer. Simple device that works wonders. I have a cheap metal one, but there are some really fancy ones out there now.

I pour very little down my kitchen sink as I have a white plastic sink that stains. Stupid design. Kitchen sinks should be stainless steel. Note: stainless.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01L1V10GO/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1517904503&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=sink+clea ning+brush&dpPl=1&dpID=41o%2Bu-0oH2L&ref=plSrch
    Originally posted by Fen1
    That reminds me of a plastic thing that came with some Mr Muscle. I pushed it down and struggled to get it back out as it got caught in the P trap! So do be careful!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 6th Feb 18, 9:25 AM
    • 5,098 Posts
    • 75,051 Thanks
    VJsmum

Originally posted by Fen1
    Ooh that looks like just what i need to get into a constantly blocking plug where i can't remove the plug cover thing (technical term ) It won't be able to get as far as the bend so it should be fine. thanks

today i have finally kondoed some teaching notes that i have accepted i will never use again. It's a subject I don't like and don't plan to teach again and the notes are way out of date in any case.

That's two huge folders worth gone
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 6th Feb 18, 9:56 AM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 12,334 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Lots more rubbish gone into bags for the tip - old bread bin, old bin, broken picture frame, broken lampshade, Ikea container that had some weird mouldy looking stuff on it. I think it must have been some mascara that leaked onto it, but it wouldn't wash off.

I also used up a hair serum and a conditioner, both bottles into recycling.

An unwanted plant will go to a friend as she loves gardening.

2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 22/60
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 6th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 26,945 Thanks
    MMF007
    Re blocked sinks. Rather than rinse n spit toothpaste into the basin we spit it into the loo. I found our new sink was regularly slow running whereas the old one never ever blocked in years so we are more aware now. Yes, DH shaving still causes the odd prob but he doesn't wet-shave that often.

It's good to back, I see familiar folk and new KM enthusiasts!!

Well it's been a very different 2.5 months. A period of intense stress and upset and living out of a weekend bag , followed by a few weeks visiting friends in the Caribbean I packed in a rush and greatly over-packed. Haven't done that for ages.).

Since returning on Friday I have got all the washing done and put away. Unpacked the suitcases and put them away. Sorted 4 garments to go to CS. Worked yester. I also re-arranged my work schedule so i don't have a killer Monday . I must say I was greeted like the prodigal by my clients. Everyone said they'd really missed me and it was lovely to see them.

I am about to tackle the multipurpose room. There are still xmas presents in there that i did not get chance to give to several friends and they are taking up room and annoying me! I have nowhere else to store them though so will see if they can be made less obtrusive and crack on with the rest of the tidying as bes
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,533Posts Today

5,814Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin