Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,653Posts
    • 26,678Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 & 2019 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 & 2019 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

MoneySavingExpert.com insert 14 Jan 2019

If you haven't already join the Forum to join in the challenge.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 15-01-2019 at 4:11 PM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 125
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 13th Jan 19, 7:27 PM
    • 4,150 Posts
    • 51,309 Thanks
    camelot1001
    I did a carboot sale once, many years ago with all the children's clothes and toys they had grown out of - never again! The crowd that arrived as soon as I opened the boot was unbelievable, people grabbing items and shouting at each other, I was terrified!

I now prefer to give unwanted items to charity, it always feels better to me than putting money in a tin.

I drove to DS1s today, a 140 mile round trip and took some CDs with me as the radio can be a bit hit and miss. 3 of them have been added to the charity bag as they didn't 'spark joy' anymore. Funny how your taste changes eh?
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 13th Jan 19, 8:48 PM
    • 1,113 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I’ve been on a mission this weekend. Finally fed up with my half-baked decluttering & living in a miserable mess, getting a new kitchen fitted & needing to clear my entire spare room to fit the materials has spurred me on to be ruthless & just get rid!

So far:
    - 2 bin bags of past-it clothes recycled
    - 1bag to the charity shop,another two bags of bric-a-brack to go to charity shop
    - kitchen cupboards kondoed & all the food that’s been there years/we never use is gone
    - wrapping paper stash is sorted, organised & binned where it’s not useable-
    started a stockpile of non-perishables in a now-empty cupboard
    - re-organised my storage cupboard upstairs so now have 2/3rds empty
    - binned all of the pairs of boots that are done & falling apart
    - repaired two pairs of trousers

Next up: teapot collection & towels!

MH hasn’t been great lately & I just have no motivation to do anything’s besides work, sleep & eat so I take that as a win!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 13th Jan 19, 9:42 PM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 7,193 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Hello Whiteguineapig xx
    Originally posted by Moll
    Ha Ha nearly missed this!
    Hello there, are you on the right thread? I don't really kondo, I just seem to chuck stuff out, i'v done my house but mums is more challenging.
    Hope the kondoos going well for you
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 13th Jan 19, 9:48 PM
    • 10,441 Posts
    • 37,767 Thanks
    luxor4t
    A belated "Happy New Year"

A few big changes chez Luxor since my last post.

I bit the bullet and went to IKEA before DH went back to work in the new year. The new kallax unit holds all my (frequently kondo'd) craft stuff and fits neatly into the corner, being much easier to look at than the cupboard and bookcase that I used previously. All the bits and pieces of fabric, threads, beads, buttons, trimming etc etc are in one place, sorted, neatly stored and ready to use. It was time to do it and I am glad I waited till I was sure what was needed. Now I have a list of things to make - mostly for various charities as we are moving towards being time rather than cash rich. Happy!

A large bookcase, a cabinet and the long refectory table that spent the last 8 years in bits under a bed have now all left the building with our thanks.

Another box of books and other bits went to the CS and we finally got to the recycling centre with the dead light tubes, the broken drill etc etc

The bed base had caved in (very uncomfortable), but as the mattress was still good we just bought a new bed frame. The money saved went towards the IKEA unit
    We didn't need a base with storage drawers as they were all empty. The space under the bed is empty and will stay that way.

We also sorted through the food cupboard and a bag of in-date items went to the foodbank. I am now working the freezer down while batch cooking more as we want to cut the grocery bills this year as DH will retire fully next year.

Looking forward to the new adventures.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • Moll
    • By Moll 13th Jan 19, 10:30 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Moll
    Ha Ha nearly missed this!
    Hello there, are you on the right thread? I don't really kondo, I just seem to chuck stuff out, i'v done my house but mums is more challenging.
    Hope the kondoos going well for you
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    yes im on the right thread lol . good to see you xx
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 14th Jan 19, 7:09 AM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 21,609 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I was checking if everything I want to pack for my long weekend in York is ready, and found that I have no old underwear to wear-and-chuck; all my underwear is in good nick kondo problems
    Last edited by Siebrie; 14-01-2019 at 8:38 AM.
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 90,96 = £ 80.99
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68 = £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Jan 19, 9:08 AM
    • 5,653 Posts
    • 26,678 Thanks
    Slinky
    The kindness of strangers
    Sparking Joy this morning.

On our last trip away we were late arriving back at the airport (1.30am) only to discover that our suitcase had been damaged by the big orange airline. There was nobody at their desk to report it to at that time, and although we left a message on their reporting number, nobody ever called us back.

The pull out handle on the suitcase had been pulled out and got bent. Bending it back didn't sort the problem and it is permanently stuck out. I got in contact with the suitcase manufacturer, who still make this style of suitcase, but they said they couldn't supply spare parts.

Dismantling the case, inside we discovered a small sticker on the handle mechanism, and located the manufacturer as a company in Vietnam. We contacted them by email, some photos and measurements were sent, and these kind people have made - not dragged out of a box off the shelf - made to measure, a new handle that they are sending to us. I've enquired several times how I pay, and today they said they are sending it to me by courier, as a sample.

How unbelievably kind is that.
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 14th Jan 19, 11:36 AM
    • 5,636 Posts
    • 46,346 Thanks
    Igamogam
    I did a carboot sale once, many years ago with all the children's clothes and toys they had grown out of - never again! The crowd that arrived as soon as I opened the boot was unbelievable, people grabbing items and shouting at each other, I was terrified!

I now prefer to give unwanted items to charity, it always feels better to me than putting money in a tin.
    Originally posted by camelot1001
    Ditto! DD2 and I did a carboot a few years ago and vowed never again!! Sold almost everything but didnt like the swarm as we got stuff out of the car

I am not giving any money to charity this year
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 14th Jan 19, 11:39 AM
    • 5,636 Posts
    • 46,346 Thanks
    Igamogam

On our last trip away we were late arriving back at the airport (1.30am) only to discover that our suitcase had been damaged by the big orange airline. There was nobody at their desk to report it to at that time, and although we left a message on their reporting number, nobody ever called us back.

The pull out handle on the suitcase had been pulled out and got bent. Bending it back didn't sort the problem and it is permanently stuck out. I got in contact with the suitcase manufacturer, who still make this style of suitcase, but they said they couldn't supply spare parts.

Dismantling the case, inside we discovered a small sticker on the handle mechanism, and located the manufacturer as a company in Vietnam. We contacted them by email, some photos and measurements were sent, and these kind people have made - not dragged out of a box off the shelf - made to measure, a new handle that they are sending to us. I've enquired several times how I pay, and today they said they are sending it to me by courier, as a sample.

Originally posted by Slinky
    Wow! That really is a fab outcome and fits nicely into the repair dont bin campaign. Boo to the airline
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 14th Jan 19, 11:46 AM
    • 5,636 Posts
    • 46,346 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Had a big paper clear out yesterday....not as much as usual I have to say so it must be finally having an affect! Kept me warm as I burnt it all on the log burner OHs paper mountain on the other hand..........

Just been accepted on a diploma course which will take up some of my time and I will need 'space'. Tough course...content/subject matter rather than the study. I am hoping that it will lead to studying a for PhD but that will depend on finances!!! For the moment I am happy to be using the grey cells again - I get a bit restless if I am not studying for something ! Have to say it has given me the motivation,which was waning, to declutter at a faster rate
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 14th Jan 19, 1:00 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 7,930 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Have really enjoyed reading through the thread, has helped me make better decisions In regards to clearing the clutter..
    I know for one thing it’s definitely assisted me in knowing when I am making an emotional choice and because of that I can now step back, look at it with impartial eyes and more often than not re-home!
    Very busy weekend, lots out & a few things in, necessary though, 2 beds & a small bookcase (to replace a dresser)
    WIll be looking through the airing cupboard in a bit as there is items that can go to the local animal shelter for bedding/clean up (not good enough for homeless donation)

Thanks again for a great thread
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 Jan GC £130.60/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • a_silver_lining
    • By a_silver_lining 14th Jan 19, 3:40 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    a_silver_lining

Originally posted by Slinky
    Slinky that's fantastic

So glad you didn't need to bin it!

-

I've photographed pretty much all of my 'to sell' items.

Listed all but the clothes on Gtree. I will list them this evening.

I have pilled alllll of my paper onto the floor as that is the next category, and a major one for me. I was all for tackling it yesterday, but not feeling it today.

I have put things very cheap on Gtree in a bid to shift it. Listing items for £5 etc on Gtree, the value of it all on there is around £60. I'd like £60, but it puts it into perspective how long I want to hold onto it all. Clothes are designer designer things and again I will list at £5 each. I don't think I fancy ebaying, though I have done well with it in the past, so if I don't get a spur of motivation it will probably be a very nice charity shop I pick after this that gets it all in a few weeks.
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    ..... to buy my first home.

2018: 3.6k personal savings --- Family Loan paid 6167.98/ 10K
    Pay debt by Xmas 2019 #81: 167.98/4K
    2019 1% challenge #18= 4.2%
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Jan 19, 5:09 PM
    • 5,653 Posts
    • 26,678 Thanks
    Slinky
    Argghhhh..... kondoing more money on my car, which is without doubt the biggest moneypit of a car we've ever owned, starter motor stuck when I needed to go out, and it won't start. The AA were here in 20 mins and got it started, so OH drove it to the garage to leave it for them to repair.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Jan 19, 6:53 PM
    • 30,546 Posts
    • 178,290 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Kondoing in the literal sense, getting packaging materials together to get rid of some, pretty successful, actually - I need the space now that the kitchen renovation's going to go ahead.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 14th Jan 19, 9:53 PM
    • 1,107 Posts
    • 9,905 Thanks
    tibawo
    Have to chuckle... i have put a huge pile of stuff next to where I sit in what I call my room to sort while i watch tv. In the adverts I then shred, put in recycling pile or put back in their proper home. Where am I currently sat... in the other room!
    After years of debt and living on the breadline feeling nothing but negative about myself, I am finally feeling that 2019 might be the year I actually get positive about it!
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 16th Jan 19, 9:22 AM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 21,609 Thanks
    Siebrie
    One bottle of wine Half of it went into a stew I made, some of it went into a half glass that I drank, the rest went down the sink! It was a work birthday gift from when they still gave alcohol (until too many people protested and they changed to chocolates). My tongue was black after my half glass, and when I emptied it in the sink, there was a lot of black sediment that came out.

Husband has decided that with me in York for the weekend, he will take dds and visit a friend in Paris. She had a baby two months ago, so I went through some basic babyhandling moves with dds using their dolls and through some basic French sentences. I will check the attic to see if we have any baby items left to give to her. At least one white woollen blanket, that I remember. I will also prepare one bag of drinks and snacks for the trip there, and a similar bag for the return trip (4 hours). Husband had to bribe them with promises of mcd and ikea, so the trip will be slightly more expensive then it could have been. I told them they need to go up the Eiffel tower. Knowing husband, he will just leave them with his friend, while he goes visit other friends, so I am planning their weekend in addition to my own
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 90,96 = £ 80.99
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68 = £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th Jan 19, 9:30 AM
    • 4,067 Posts
    • 65,010 Thanks
    silvasava
    A good friend has had a wardrobe clear out.........and given me a large bag of clothes that I can take my pick. I've selected 3 tops and a cardigan. Luckily most of them were in colours I do not wear. Bag has been repacked to pass to another friend on Saturday. It did spur me to have a cull of my own clothes so 6 tops and two pairs of cut offs packed up for first friend & anything remaining goes to a CS.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Frugal Freda
    • By Frugal Freda 16th Jan 19, 9:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Frugal Freda
    Clear out stage one
    It has taken ages for me to get rid of my late mum's vast array of sewing stuff, threads, buttons etc, as I couldn't bear to throw them away. I finally decided that an old friend who is heavily into craft would be the best place and am happy that she has now taken delivery and they will go on to have a new life with her sewing circle. I kept delaying by saying I might need them, but sewing the odd button on doesn't require cotton in umpteen shades and a book in the library suggested a basic sewing kit which I now have.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 16th Jan 19, 10:26 PM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 25,155 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I'm still Kondoing £££ having the new bathroom fitted .... but clearing it was fairly painless, as was making space for the plumber to store his tools in the small bedroom opposite. When he needed to run an extension cord from the other bedroom, while it's not super-tidy, I wasn't embarrassed to open the door. And when the plasterer asked if I had any bulbs for the light fitting, I was able to go straight to the box and find them, no searching in different places. All little things, but all KM wins that wouldn't have been possible before.
    • kittydfw2012
    • By kittydfw2012 16th Jan 19, 10:52 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    kittydfw2012
    I know some people are doing the Konmari method over time but I definitely found it therapeutic to blast it over a few weekends rather than months and years. It's a much more intensive and I would argue meaningful process to challenge yourself. I never regret a minute of the time invested or any of the things that I let go because a) I got to keep everything that was precious to me and b) really really good things came into my life - remember the name of the book is the 'life changing magic' of tidying, not just a bit of decluttering. I believe there really is magic in it if you embrace the process. It definitely has allowed me to make some seriously positive changes in my life and I've never gone back to the untidy, disorganised stress monster that I was before (OK maybe occasionally, I let work stress affect me but now my 'stuff' doesn't add to it.

If you're unsure, I would really say to go for it, get the whole process done and wait for the magic to happen. Follow Marie's advice to the letter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,256Posts Today

8,791Users online

Martin's Twitter