Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,587Posts
    • 26,241Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 108
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Nov 18, 7:41 PM
    • 3,960 Posts
    • 63,390 Thanks
    silvasava
    Siebrie - awful way to treat an employee but you have the chance to make it work for you. Rooting for you!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 10th Nov 18, 8:03 PM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 50,028 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Long time no post but I do read most days, I'm in awe of you all!

Sorry to hear you've lost your job Siebre but sometimes these things happen for a reason, you've obviously been unhappy there for a while.

Over the summer I Kondo'd the conservatory at the back of the house, I advertised it on Gumtree for free and someone came and took it away - all in one van with bits hanging out all over the place (I couldn't look as he drove away!). I don't miss the conservatory itself but do miss being able to leave stuff out there especially now the weather is cooler, it was like a second fridge!

I'm still very mindful of anything I buy which at the moment is very little but could do with sorting out a lot more.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Nov 18, 8:48 PM
    • 12,223 Posts
    • 235,274 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Yess!!!!!!!!

I have hung the plastic-covered wire rack, with the fold down legs, designed to be used inside cupboards to provide an extra level of storage, by its legs from the underside of a wall unit.

By 4 cupbooks. I now have an ariel rack which can hold all 6 of my tea caddies in mid air, freeing up the precious counterspace below it to be used for food prep and to be easily cleanable.

One small leap for womankind - am very pleased.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 10th Nov 18, 8:49 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 6,668 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Wow Siebrie, sometimes life clears a new path for you, and here you are with a financial breathing space and time to think about what comes next.

Well done for not accepting your now ex boss's dissimulations at the end, keeping your self respect and personal integrity. Good for you to leave with no regrets on that score. I'm so glad you had that bit of forewarning, and were able to cope better as a result.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 10th Nov 18, 8:53 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,132 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Siebrie - enjoy your freedom. Your boss will find herself regretting the backstabbing

I have been wrapping presents and writing cards because my side-line job starts next week until early December and it is relentless. One small gift left to buy.

I have packed up some spare Xmas cards for a Brownie fundraising event early next month, and have also used up some crafty bits to make tree decorations for the sale table. Currently making felt gingerbread men - lots of blanket stitching in thick white thread!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 11th Nov 18, 4:35 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 8,895 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Do you mean a measure to measure spirits? We bought one of those last week........... for years spirits have just been a 'glug' in a glass, but we watched that programme Adrian Chiles made about how much he was drinking...... so decided to be a bit more careful in future.

We also went looking for some nice glasses to drink spirits from but couldn't find any we liked in John Lewis. Found some online £6.53 for 4 of them including postage. They arrived this weekend and were put to good use last night, purely in the interests of research. I asked OH if he'd used the spirit measure........ apparently not... Anyway, the spirit glasses were great, lovely shape and really heavy. They looked way more expensive than they were.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Yup! I hardly ever drink these days & never drink in the house so it’s a total waste of space for me keeping it lol
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 11th Nov 18, 4:51 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 37,973 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Enjoy your break Siebrie. You deserve it! Glad to hear you've got support from your husband and the union.
    I've been busy this weekend with friends, and a beautiful service at 5:50am (I snuck back to bed after!). I've got out my sewing kit and been mending which has been both Kondo and mse. I know I've said it before but only having clothes I like / fit me stored in ways where there is space is just amazing.
    I've also decluttered a drawer in the kitchen (did you know staplers have a space underneath for spare staples? mine does!). I know this is straying a bit from MK since I didn't empty all the 'useful' drawers but as someone very sensibly said when I first joined this group we make our own rules :J
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 11-11-2018 at 4:53 PM.
    For 2018 be kind, be courageous, and never ever eat pears
    • Litha
    • By Litha 11th Nov 18, 5:02 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 453 Thanks
    Litha
    2 shelves of dvds donated and several books ( a small win, but something )
    My wannabee craft room is mid kon mari and closely resembles Annickers midden!
    It will look worse before it's better, why did I keep so much for Justin and Andy??
    Linda x
    You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 11th Nov 18, 8:19 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 37,973 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    ...and 20 books for the CS :-) also clearing 2 surfaces in my bedroom
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 11th Nov 18, 9:37 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,132 Thanks
    luxor4t
    …….. (did you know staplers have a space underneath for spare staples? mine does!)....……:J
    Originally posted by DundeeDoll
    I saw that meme going round facebook. Guess what - my stapler doesn't! I felt cheated
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Nov 18, 6:36 AM
    • 12,223 Posts
    • 235,274 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I saw that meme going round facebook. Guess what - my stapler doesn't! I felt cheated
    Originally posted by luxor4t
    The things you learn on t'interewebs. Just checked and mine (a B@ntex) does). Was about to use it then remembered the stapler sits 4 inches from a small steel moneybox containing a few stationery supplies inc, you guessed it, the box of staples. Therefore, not really worth doing.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 12th Nov 18, 7:53 AM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 37,973 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    Originally posted by luxor4t
    my sister shared it with me then checked hers and hers doesn't
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Nov 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 14,103 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Siebrie - what a shocking turn of events - but hopefully it's all for the best x

Managed to get a reply from the Council and kondoed the videos to the hard plastic bin at the tip. Also took dead scanner, dead washing line, dead breadmaker and dead keyboard.

Got a nearly new breadmaker from FB. Which then died at second use seems that the drive shaft managed to disengage somehow. OH tried to fix it but to no avail.

So now we need to take the broken new breadmaker to the tip. Decided to Kondo the video recorder along with it and possibly the steam cleaner. We (literally) inherited it from OH's gran and I've not used it in 3 years. I suspect that I never will. Plus the handle is broken and requires gaffer tape.

In other Kondo related news, we went to visit friends of OH at the weekend. They live in a new build and apparently have no possessions?? Their house looked like a show home. If I'm honest, I wouldn't want to live there, but the contrast with my cottage did make it look distinctly mucky and down-at-heel. I might need to up my cleaning game
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 12-11-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £10,000!
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Nov 18, 12:31 PM
    • 1,973 Posts
    • 13,327 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I dropped off the bag to the chazzer before I went into London on Saturday. I had gone around my house and picked up a few more things to donate. Two white ornaments, a fake plant and a cat ornament. I was sick of picking them up to dust all the time.

I'm going to order a bulky waste collection as I wanted to get rid of a few unwanted things in my house that wouldn't be suitable to donate.

I wanted to make space in my living room for exercise as I've been feeling a lot stronger after walking the past few weeks. I have a mini trampoline, some weights and a yoga mat and I want to make sure there is a corner of the room to place them when I feel like using them.
    2018: Simplify your life
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Nov 18, 5:00 PM
    • 7,522 Posts
    • 76,367 Thanks
    greent
    Sorry to hear that it happened Siebrie - but at least you have positives coming from it.

Small happenings here - DS3 has managed to get rid of teeny tiny bits from his room (mainly recycling, but a couple of things to shoebox appeal) Has also decided to ditch a character (Cbeeeeebies) blanket and change his bedding and curtains (also characters and too young in effect for him) We have one suitable duvet set in the airing cupboard (previously DS1's) and I've ordered a new plain coloured one for £10. Will keep an eye out for bargain curtains. In the meantime, his 2 character duvet sets and blanket will go on fb00k mktplace (one was only used once - thankfully was a bargain in the sale a few years ago) That will make a net 1 duvet set down (ultimately) Very much small happenings - but now the airing cupboard has gained lots of space over time
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £7127.06/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £721.53/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 12th Nov 18, 9:17 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 37,973 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    quick update - the 20 books MKd from my bedroom yesterday have been dropped off at the fundraising book table today
    another bin full of rubbish at work
    • RunningKatie
    • By RunningKatie 13th Nov 18, 11:35 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    RunningKatie
    Hi guys,
    Long time lurker, I'm really enjoying the Kon Mari method to removing things from the house, boyfriend still not quite on board but we've at least made some progress with his clothes!
    Managed to Kon Mari an old Fitbit and iPad today, sold them on a selling site and made £90, all helps towards some house savings we have going on but that's another story.
    To keep myself motivated I've been doing the remove 2018 items in 2018 and am doing well so far, last push should hopefully get rid of some more junk, I may not make it to 2018 items but I want to get as close as possible as we're limited on space and also planning to move in 6ish months so my argument to my boyfriend is the more he gets rid of now the less he'll have to carry
    Working hard to save a giant deposit for the dream house...
    Then taking on a giant mortgage to buy the dream house...
    To then become mortgage free!!
    I work in legal conveyancing but all opinions are my own and should never be taken as legal advice.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 14th Nov 18, 9:05 AM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 24,510 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Another MK win. Since I moved into this house, I've been planning to re-do the bathroom. I'm finally ready, and I've been to get some plans. In the past, my ideas always included lots of storage but my bathroom is tiny, and it would look really crowded.

I'm pleased to say that I realised when talking to the bathroom shop that I don't really need anything!

The sink will have a small vanity unit which will hold the single bottle of cleaning stuff, some loo rolls, and a couple of other things. I already have a bathroom cabinet, but I can't tell you the last time I looked in there. The cold and flu stuff which I keep in there can live in a spare drawer in the bedside table. Since I Kondoed it three years ago, I should think the remaining over-the-counter medicines are all out of date. The medicine cabinet can go to the charity shop, and I will just have a mirror with a shelf under it. Money saved, and space gained!

Everything else – towels, spare toothpaste, painkillers already has another home somewhere else in the house. It's going to be lovely to have a simple room that will be easy to clean.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 14th Nov 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,245 Posts
    • 19,982 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Another small win: while looking for my uni paperwork in the attic, I found an empty branded and discoloured binder, a project management course binder, and a photo album of a trip I didn't enjoy. All are now in the bin/paper recycling. I still haven't found the uni paperwork, but will go up there again this afternoon. I am 'allowing' myself to work in five-minute bursts.

The paperwork confirming the closure of one of my Dutch bank accounts just came in with the mail.

ETA: 1 pair of dd1's jeans washed and in ragbag, 1 pair of dd2's jeans washed and in donate pile.

Currently deep cleaning our best sofa; all covers and throw cushions are in the washing machine on their second ( ! ) round. I have hoovered the base and back of the sofa, now off to do some wet spot removal.

One big item to be cleaned every (other) day

ETA2: due to some reshuffling on the shelves of the downstairs under the stairs loo, the baggie with the hotel sized conditioners now fits in the large box with the toilet rolls, tissues and sanitary products. This in turn means that the long thin ugly box where the conditioners were kept before, can be removed, which visually creates more space.
    Last edited by Siebrie; Yesterday at 2:42 PM. Reason: More kondoing and cleaning
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 801,77= £ 691.62
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • greent
    • By greent 14th Nov 18, 3:58 PM
    • 7,522 Posts
    • 76,367 Thanks
    greent
    4 items of clothing out with the bins for fabric recycling this week - 2 of DS2's PJs had ripped in the groin area - both pairs had been repaired twice - they can now go! Also, a pair of OH's boxers developed a ladder in (!) and one of my favourite summer tops has a hole in - it's not a tear, it's a hole and the fabric is very thin and delicate.

Pile of scrap paper being taken into work with me on Fri for using by students - had to ensure there was nothing confidential/ personal in there! Still have a huge pile, so may go through and put some for recycling - we accumulate it faster than we use it up and some of the heavily coloured stuff (handouts from presentations) isn't great to write on the back of anyway.

Took a small bag of hotel/ airline toiletries and an unworn beanie hat to the local homeless collection point today.

Finally, one item sold on flebay today so it plus a shoebox and some old shoebox tissue/ paper stuffing for packaging it in are making there way out of here tomorrow

ETA: forgot I added 3 items to my 'pending' CS bag this morning - want to get it filled before I drop it off, if I can - although want to drop it off by month end as it contains an immaculate outgrown Xmas top of DS3's
    Last edited by greent; Yesterday at 4:03 PM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £7127.06/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £721.53/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,505Posts Today

6,182Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin