Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TM6
    • By TM6 14th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,115Posts
    • 5,169Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    Fiscal Fast 14th Jan 18 at 2:01 PM
    Fiscal Fast - Day 1

Every year, I think to myself, yes this year I would like to cut back financially but it's a bit like a diet, after a while bad habits creep in and before you know it..... you know where I'm at!

Well this year, my fiscal fast HAS to be until October as 2 of my gorgeous children are getting married and EVERY penny has to be a prisoner or earn it's keep!

So would you like to join me on this military style financial assault course?

Stock Taking

My big weakness is stationery and beautiful paper - well having just re-organised my cupboard I don't NEED anymore.

I am going to make long lists of what I have in all my cupboards (especially food) and ONLY buy when I have run out and NOT when there is a good deal on.

No more window shopping - too much temptation!

I could go on and on but more tomorrow.

So, are you up for this ruthless challenge or would you just like to encourage me in my mission?

TM6
    xxx
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
Page 26
    • TM6
    • By TM6 12th Oct 18, 6:38 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    You are doing so well, very impressed with your frugal shopping (and I'm very envious of your buses). You're so right, we never go and see what's on our doorstep. I live a 20-minute Tube ride from Central London, but hardly ever go there.

You're going to have a fab time in New York!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Are you North, South, East or West of the City, PWD?

I used to live in E4
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
    • TM6
    • By TM6 12th Oct 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 61
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 61

Hip, hip hooray - another No Spending Day
    • TM6
    • By TM6 12th Oct 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 62
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 62

Just a cheeky little spend of 16.99 on ebay that will greatly help us with our listings and hopefully own it's keep
    • TM6
    • By TM6 13th Oct 18, 6:06 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 63
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 63

'dociousaliexpilisticfragicalirupes' or...."suoicodilaipxecitsiligarfilacrepus" - the sentiment is the same

Another NSD
    • TM6
    • By TM6 17th Oct 18, 7:01 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 64
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 64

We were starting to run out of basics mainly fresh salad items and fruit.

With a written shopping list we headed first to Poundstretcher and picked up our long life milk (only 50p a litre) along with a few other bits and bobs before doing a shop at Sainsburys.

Just over 40 spent but with a 6 off coupon it nicely went down to just over 35. Very pleased
    • TM6
    • By TM6 17th Oct 18, 7:03 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 65
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 65

Amaze balls - another NSD - bring it on
    • TM6
    • By TM6 17th Oct 18, 7:05 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 66
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 66

Two in a row - way to go

Another NSD
    • TM6
    • By TM6 17th Oct 18, 7:11 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 67

Morning everyone

OMGolly Gosh!!! We fly to NYC in a week's time - it is becoming a reality. To think I started this fast waaay back in January.

So only 7 days of my fast and then it is all over.

I'm going to miss you guys.

Can you recommend another thread where I can keep up with you all?

I'll catch up with you all tonight, I'm looking forward to a day at Rosudgeon car boot sale - our last of the season with our next visit being in March 2019
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 17th Oct 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 24,260 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I'm East, TM6 - technically I'm not in London but we are on a Tube route, pay London prices and have London traffic! The London Borough boundary is only half a mile from where I live.

Your NSDs are a real inspiration to me, I have reduced my grocery spending by just not going to the supermarket! I know my weaknesses, I was think I'm just going in for a pint of milk and, having spent 10 on stuff that I didn't really need. At the moment I'm trying to eat my way through the freezer and just buy fresh veg when needed.

How exciting, not long to go!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • TM6
    • By TM6 19th Oct 18, 8:26 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6

We had an AMAZING last car boot sale today. The field only had a 1/3rd of the usual number of stalls but surprisingly we picked up some real bargains both for resale and for home

Even after we return from NYC, we will be listing like mad in the run up to Christmas

I'm still a shopaholic and I don't think that will ever change but I enjoy seeking out the bargain and rather than keeping it, the pleasure now is to re-sell it

After the boot sale I called in a local charity shop and picked up a jug which I will resell.

In the afternoon we headed out to Penzance to print out some documents for our holiday and finished off at our local Wetherspoons for a hot drink.

Very nice
    Last edited by TM6; 19-10-2018 at 8:34 PM.
    • TM6
    • By TM6 19th Oct 18, 8:28 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 68

Hip hip hooray. day 68 is a NSD
    • TM6
    • By TM6 19th Oct 18, 8:43 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6

Way to go - 2 in a row - another NSD

Scary but exciting...

1. My daughter gets married a week tomorrow
    2. On Tuesday we fly up to London
    3. On Wednesday we fly to JFK

Only 3 days of my fast left - wow
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 20th Oct 18, 9:18 AM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 24,260 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Wow! I expect you’ll relax on a few things, but do you feel you’ve acquired some habits that will stay with you now?

I hope you have a wonderful trip.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • TM6
    • By TM6 21st Oct 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 69
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 69

Last minute jobs really.

Both hubby and I had our hair cut today ready for the wedding

Our final spend was at Morrisons where we picked up shopping for DD3

We are still very conscious of keeping our spending as low as possible and I think we succeeded with our shop
    • TM6
    • By TM6 21st Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 70
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 70

How good is this...on the eve of my fast, it was a NSD - hooray
    • TM6
    • By TM6 21st Oct 18, 9:14 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    Wow! I expect you’ll relax on a few things, but do you feel you’ve acquired some habits that will stay with you now?

I hope you have a wonderful trip.
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    PWD, I'm certain that we will relax in a few areas but I don't think it will be on the food shopping front. I feel very much that my food shopping fast is now ingrained.

Where I think we will loosen the purse strings on spending is on the entertainment budget. This is where I have struggled the most especially with SO many good films out at the moment. I also miss being spontaneous when it comes to having a meal or hot chocolate out with my hubby or girlfriends.

HOWEVER, putting more money into savings for a rainy day is going to be a top priority for next year because it really was lovely to see the savings pot grow.

I do have a couple of special days out in the pipeline that I would like to save up for

Do I think I have acquired some new habits PWD - ABSOLUTELY

1. I have changed where I do the majority of our food shopping.
    2. I no longer succumb to money off coupons no matter what - before I would NEVER fail to use them but now I'm VERY selective.
    3. I was a bit gung ho in my attitude to money at the start of the fast - I was full of good intentions but had no will power. I have now

Back in June PWD, you asked

Which new habits are proving most successful?

and this was my answer which is still very true.

I have picked up many hints and tips on here which I am most grateful for

In no particular order

* Only shop when you have to - no window shopping unless you have an armour plated will power

* Know exactly what you have in your food cupboards and freezer etc - keep your inventory up to date at ALL times.

* If possible, wait until you have a few items on your list so that you are not inviting temptation

* Don't be swayed by supermarket's 5 off when you spend 50 etc which run for 4 weeks in a row. We always used to use these and this is where treats creep in or you are pushing up your purchases just to hit the threshold

* Consider keeping a spending diary. We keep a daily diary and it helps us to keep a keen eye on where our money is going.

* Be held responsible by having a post on here - it has worked many times when I have been tempted but have wanted to be proud and share a NSD with you

* If you are self employed consider Bookers. Without doubt this is where our biggest savings have come for. Their RTC is generous and is not fought over. Temptation is unlikely as quantities are in bulk! The staff are incredibly friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. There is also free tea, coffee and hot chocolate to be enjoyed

* Keep your 'eye on the prize' - why are you wanting to cut back /down? Yes budget for treats but stay steadfast in your desire to achieve your goal

Also

What have you struggled with most?

I think the hardest has been reining in the entertainment side. We have quite a few excellent eateries down here especially a beach side cafe and a superb pub that does a carvery. I miss visiting these places but for our family size the cafe for lunch and drinks would set us back 40 and the carvery would be about 70 which are hefty chunks when you are on a Fast.

Have you got an idea of how much you've saved/reduced your outgoings?

Yes, we know how much we have saved down to the last penny and we will do the final reveal in the week running up to flying out to NYC
    We could have saved even more but we have been ploughing more money than usual into auctions and car boot sales with the intention to make our money work even harder

Do you think it's got easier as time's gone on?

Without a doubt it gets easier as time goes on fo many reasons
    1. You have established systems in place
    2. You learn from your mistakes
    3. As the clock to your end goal is counting down, you become more resolute to succeed

In August, I wrote this and it is VERY true today

It's funny how you start off a fast believing it was about cutting back and although we have certainly done that it has also been about generating more income. Going to car boot sales and the like had always been a hobby and we had always bought to re sell as it stopped me from just buying because items were a bargain!

Going to the car boot sales has greatly increased - as our income from ebay has snowballed it has given us the money and incentive to up the anti and consider actually having it as a second business...time will tell but we are loving every minute of it.

So there we have it - my fast finishes tomorrow
    Last edited by TM6; 21-10-2018 at 9:18 PM.
    • TM6
    • By TM6 22nd Oct 18, 6:26 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,169 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - The Final Day
    Fiscal Fast - The Final Day

I HAD to end the final day on a NSD and I achieved it

and that's it...it's all over

Thank you, thank you, than you for all your support - I would NEVER have been SO successful without you

and so.......

And now, the end is here
    And so I face the final countdown (NYC on Wednesday)
    My friends, I'll say it clear
    I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
    I've lived a life that's full (but hard going!)
    I've travelled each and every highway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few (overspending on Soap and Glory in the Boots sale)
    But then again, too few to mention
    I did what I had to do
    And saw it through without exemption
    I planned each charted course (a shopping list that I stuck to)
    Each careful step along the supermarket byway
    And more, much more than this
    I did it with the help of ebay

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew (especially JackieO)
    When I bit off more than I could chew
    But through it all, when there was doubt
    I ate it up and spit it out
    I faced it all and I stood tall
    And did it my way Wahoo

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
    I've had my fill, my share of coupons
    And now, as tears subside
    I find it all, all so amusing
    To think I did all that
    And may I say, not in a shy way
    Oh no, no, not me
    I did it my way

For what is woman, what has she got?
    If not herself, then she has naught
    To say the things she truly feels (blogging every day)
    And not the words of one who kneels
    The record shows I took the blows
    And did it my way
    And did it my way

Adios Amigos
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 22nd Oct 18, 9:24 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 24,260 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Brilliant!

I hope you have a wonderful trip, and that the wedding is everything you hope for. Thank you for sharing your Fiscal Fast with us, and for the update on what you've learned on the journey.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Oct 18, 12:02 AM
    • 16,338 Posts
    • 139,622 Thanks
    JackieO

OMGolly Gosh!!! We fly to NYC in a week's time - it is becoming a reality. To think I started this fast waaay back in January.
    Originally posted by TM6
    Wrap up warm, my DD and her OH are visiting my eldest DGS who lives in Manhattan and at the moment its quite colder than here and she sent me a text wearing ear muffs today when she was shopping
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only
    End of September totals 262.19 1st Oct 30.96
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 23rd Oct 18, 7:12 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Have a fab time!!!
    15 Month Challenge: House - 12348.85/25300; Mortgage - 867/17000 ;
    MFW No. 167
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,978Posts Today

5,960Users online

Martin's Twitter