Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TM6
    • By TM6 14th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,115Posts
    • 5,170Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    Fiscal Fast 14th Jan 18 at 2:01 PM
    Fiscal Fast - Day 1

Every year, I think to myself, yes this year I would like to cut back financially but it's a bit like a diet, after a while bad habits creep in and before you know it..... you know where I'm at!

Well this year, my fiscal fast HAS to be until October as 2 of my gorgeous children are getting married and EVERY penny has to be a prisoner or earn it's keep!

So would you like to join me on this military style financial assault course?

Stock Taking

My big weakness is stationery and beautiful paper - well having just re-organised my cupboard I don't NEED anymore.

I am going to make long lists of what I have in all my cupboards (especially food) and ONLY buy when I have run out and NOT when there is a good deal on.

No more window shopping - too much temptation!

I could go on and on but more tomorrow.

So, are you up for this ruthless challenge or would you just like to encourage me in my mission?

TM6
    xxx
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
Page 23
    • TM6
    • By TM6 3rd Sep 18, 7:41 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 22
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 22

Super, smashing, great ........a NSD

and as the sun shone so warmly we paddled in the sea and the pupsters had a lovely hour's run
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 3rd Sep 18, 9:10 AM
    • 16,406 Posts
    • 140,246 Thanks
    JackieO
    Morning chums and returned from my holidays and got my big shop on saturday I also brought lots of odds and ends back foodwise from the holiday so this will be incorporated in this weeks menus Saturdays shop came to 34.66 but I won't need anything else now for at least another 10-12 days or so. s lots of NSD's foodwise at least I have to get the strap mended on our picnic bag as it broke on holiday so I will nip to the cobblers this morning for that and my car is in need of a good wash as well so that will cost me 8.00 but worth every penny as it a seven seater and taller than I am

Pork fillet and veg from the freezer for dinner tonight, and probably some yogurt for pud

Have a good and frugal day chums

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 03-09-2018 at 4:12 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct 30.96,15 Oct 14.28 total for month 45.24,) Total end of October since Jan 307.43
    • TM6
    • By TM6 7th Sep 18, 2:56 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Morning chums and returned from my holidays and got my big shop on saturday I also brought lots of odds and ends back foodwise from the holiday so this will be incorporated in this weeks menus Saturdays shop came to 34.66 but I won't need anything else now for at least another 10-12 days or so. s lots of NSD's foodwise at least I have to get the strap mended on our picnic bag as it broke on holiday so I will nip to the cobblers this morning for that and my car is in need of a good wash as well so that will cost me 8.00 but worth every penny as it a seven seater and taller than I am

Pork fillet and veg from the freezer for dinner tonight, and probably some yogurt for pud

Have a good and frugal day chums

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    So lovely to have you back JackieO and very pleased that you had a lovely holiday with your family
    • TM6
    • By TM6 7th Sep 18, 3:03 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 23
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 23

I find writing up this daily fiscal fast very therapeutic but I do get frustrated with myself when before I know it I am 4 days behind...just how does that happen

Anyhow onto Day 23

A work day so it is never likely to be very high... today was a grand total of 5.60 but 2.60 of that is for re-sale on ebay so not bad at all
    • TM6
    • By TM6 7th Sep 18, 3:11 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 24
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 24

Every once in a while I like to be a holidaymaker down here and so we only visit St Ives infrequently to keep it special otherwise it just becomes part of the norm (ifswim!)

Today we took a trip to our local Booker's and picked up a few RTCs before going to Home Bargains. It was REALLY nice to do an 'up and down' shop without a shopping list looking for the bargains.

After shopping it was on to St Erth train station where we caught the train to St Ives. It is such a gorgeous train journey as the views are just stunning of the sea views / beaches.

Arriving in St Ives we enjoyed a lovely (but at times cold) time on Porthminster beach eating our picnic.

We then carried on to the amusements before doing a bit of card shopping in Whistlefish.

Finally it was a coffee and hot chocolate in Wetherspoons before heading home on the train before the light failed.

A lovely day, a bit of 'naughty' spending but some days you just have to do it!!!
    • TM6
    • By TM6 7th Sep 18, 3:14 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 25
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 25

Wednesday is our usual trip to Rosudgeon Car Boot Sale and although we had a lovely morning there was not much there in terms of re-sale value so today was not the day to think of a hidden gem that is going to make us millionaires

On the way home we did a very small targeted shop in Sainsbury's for which we had extra Nectar points coupons
    • TM6
    • By TM6 7th Sep 18, 3:18 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 26
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 26

The grand sum of 2.75 was spent today at Morrison's on dog food that gave us an extra 1000 points. So very much a LSD
    • TM6
    • By TM6 7th Sep 18, 3:24 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 27
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 27

Is anyone else starting to think about shopping for Christmas? I've noticed that the charity shops have their Christmas cards out already and when we visited Morrison's yesterday they had their tubs of chocolates on sale.

I tend to buy presents throughout the year when I see them but I am aiming to treat my children to days out rather than actual presents.

As for spending today, we have had a very quiet day at home so I will update later if we actually spent anything

UPDATE

We went out for a meal with family and friends to celebrate several birthdays and a wedding anniversary but we were treated by my step Mum so.....

a NSD
    Last edited by TM6; 08-09-2018 at 8:38 AM.
    • TM6
    • By TM6 11th Sep 18, 5:56 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 28
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 28

We had a lovely couple of hours at the Redruth International Pasty And Mining Festival - https://www.facebook.com/PastyFestival/

Shock, horror...we were SO well behaved, we enjoyed looking at all that was on offer but we only bought 2 items to re-sell on ebay.

NO pasties to eat - unheard of!!!

How good is our self control becoming?

Well it was all day but in the evening I pre-ordered Alfie Boe's new album - an early Christmas present to myself
    Last edited by TM6; 11-09-2018 at 6:09 PM.
    • TM6
    • By TM6 11th Sep 18, 6:06 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 29
    Our summer of friends and family visiting ended with the last of our friends going home today.

As soon as they left and to make the most of the glorious sunshine, along with my DD2 and DD3, we set off for the beach. My DD2 and I swam in the sea, it was a tad cold on entry but we soon warmed up.

What a treat we had, we decided to swim round a set of rocks and in total we counted 14 (yes 14) cormorants. 4 in the water, swimming and diving and 10 sat on the rocks.

Also in the sea and an unusual sight were 3 swans.

We felt SO privileged

Who needs to spend money when this amazing experience was FREE

SO a NSD
    Last edited by TM6; 12-09-2018 at 9:18 PM.
    • TM6
    • By TM6 11th Sep 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 30
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 30

Dead chuffed Another NSD

These are easier to come by on a working day but I'm still really happy as it bumps up the total of my NSDs
    • TM6
    • By TM6 11th Sep 18, 6:10 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 31
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 31

Wow - a full calendar month has gone by - that's incredible

Today has been a very LSD - a spend of 2.99 at The Range on a diary for DH and a Christmas pressie for the lady I work for

I did spend 20 on Facebook Marketplace for a collection to be sold on ebay but I will be making money back...so does that count?

Despite The Range having an AMAZING amount of stationery, I was well behaved for once!
    • TM6
    • By TM6 14th Sep 18, 1:57 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 32
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 32

Rain didn't stop play today but it definitely dampened it when it came to the car boot sale. There was probably only about a tenth of the usual number of stalls but we still managed to pick up some items for re-sale along with some gorgeous fresh veg which was picked the day before.

I did completely fail in NOT buying stationery as there was some gorgeous writing paper for a 1 and 2 fabulous boxes of pencils for a 1 each.

Did I need them - er no

Did I WANT them....of course and

I've used the pencils already
    • TM6
    • By TM6 14th Sep 18, 2:03 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 33
    Fiscal Fast - Part 2 - Day 33

Not much to say
    but today was a work day
    and hey hey
    A No Spend Day
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Sep 18, 6:32 PM
    • 16,406 Posts
    • 140,246 Thanks
    JackieO
    Second shop of the month tomorrow morning am staying firmly away from the shops as much as possible. Well done TM6 onwards and upwards

JackieO x
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct 30.96,15 Oct 14.28 total for month 45.24,) Total end of October since Jan 307.43
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 15th Sep 18, 2:15 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,665 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Just read through the thread TM6 and wanted to say congratulations, you are doing so well!! I'm sure you'll hit your target for the next wedding
    15 Month Challenge: House - 13585.85/25300; Mortgage - 1160/17000 ;
    MFW No. 167
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Sep 18, 7:14 AM
    • 16,406 Posts
    • 140,246 Thanks
    JackieO
    Did my second shop and spent 34.44 so no more shopping needed for this month ,also picked up some bargains and restocked some cleaning stuff

JackieO xx
    • TM6
    • By TM6 16th Sep 18, 10:36 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Second shop of the month tomorrow morning am staying firmly away from the shops as much as possible. Well done TM6 onwards and upwards

JackieO x
    Thanks JackieO for your encouragement. I had a severe wobble this week, not on the saving front but on the generating more money on ebay front. It has been awfully quiet, sales wise.

However I saw my DD1 (who is getting married in the US) very briefly yesterday and it has REALLY fired me up to get my head down and keep on listing. It can be soul less listing but I am more determined than ever to succeed

I just suppose I hit a brick wall
    • TM6
    • By TM6 16th Sep 18, 10:40 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Just read through the thread TM6 and wanted to say congratulations, you are doing so well!! I'm sure you'll hit your target for the next wedding
    Originally posted by squirrelgirl
    Thank you SO much for your support Squirrelgirl (great name btw) - it means an awful lot.

Having the support of MSEers means that I have succeeded beyond my wildest dreams with my DS1 wedding and now I need to focus and have the confidence that I can do the same with DD1 wedding
    • TM6
    • By TM6 16th Sep 18, 10:41 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Did my second shop and spent 34.44 so no more shopping needed for this month ,also picked up some bargains and restocked some cleaning stuff

JackieO xx
    That's awesome JackieO
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,781Posts Today

7,952Users online

Martin's Twitter