Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TM6
    • By TM6 14th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,115Posts
    • 5,170Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    Fiscal Fast 14th Jan 18 at 2:01 PM
    Fiscal Fast - Day 1

Every year, I think to myself, yes this year I would like to cut back financially but it's a bit like a diet, after a while bad habits creep in and before you know it..... you know where I'm at!

Well this year, my fiscal fast HAS to be until October as 2 of my gorgeous children are getting married and EVERY penny has to be a prisoner or earn it's keep!

So would you like to join me on this military style financial assault course?

Stock Taking

My big weakness is stationery and beautiful paper - well having just re-organised my cupboard I don't NEED anymore.

I am going to make long lists of what I have in all my cupboards (especially food) and ONLY buy when I have run out and NOT when there is a good deal on.

No more window shopping - too much temptation!

I could go on and on but more tomorrow.

So, are you up for this ruthless challenge or would you just like to encourage me in my mission?

TM6
    xxx
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
Page 20
    • TM6
    • By TM6 4th Aug 18, 12:11 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 198
    Fiscal Fast Day 198

It funny how you start off a fast believing it was about cutting back and although we have certainly done that it has also been about generating more income. Going to car boot sales and the like had always been a hobby and we had always bought to re sell as it stopped me from just buying because items were a bargain!

Going to the car boot sales has greatly increased - as our income from ebay has snowballed it has given us the money and incentive to up the anti and consider actually having it as a second business...time will tell but we are loving every minute of it.

So with this in mind we visited another car boot sale today - they usually hold them on a Sunday but they are also holding them for the next four Tuesdays. It is a good income generator for the rugby club where they are held especially as the holiday makers are down.

It was a much quieter cbs than usual but we picked up some brilliant packs of Lego at a very reasonable price so we were well chuffed.

A visit to Boots on the way bought me some sun cream on advantage points so another smiley face

In the afternoon we visited a plot of land that is up for sale - Helagon Weeth. This eventually is the sort of land that we would like to own and run as a smallholding along with the ebay side.

What do you think?

http://www.lodgeandthomas.co.uk/Assets/Property_Details/9189_7.7_ac_Land_at_Trevaylor.pdf
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
    • TM6
    • By TM6 4th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 199
    Fiscal Fast Day 199

Two days running for car boot sales and this time is was our weekly visit to Rosudgeon. Amazingly and quite unexpected DD2 and DD3 wanted to come (they normally complain like Billy O) but they and we had a really good time (it probably helped that we didn't go round together ) As always it was a mix of personal buys and re-sales.

On the way home we called in at Lidl and had a medium spend and Iceland, again a medium spend.

All in all for a Wednesday, not a bad day at all when it comes to spending
    • TM6
    • By TM6 4th Aug 18, 4:23 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 200
    Fiscal Fast Day 200

Wow- Day 200 - how time has flown since we first started this fast

To celebrate such a milestone I turned in a NSD - dead chuffed
    • TM6
    • By TM6 4th Aug 18, 4:31 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 201
    Fiscal Fast Day 201

I never thought today would come but it has finally arrived

We set off today for the first part of our journey up to our DS wedding. Our first port of call is London to celebrate my Mum's 80th birthday.

As we expected in the holiday season, we had a slow but steady journey coping of course with this exceptionally hot weather. Our spends were linked in with having food at IKEA followed by a stop in Basingstoke at Morrison's where we picked up our meal deal.

LSD and we survived the heat
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Aug 18, 10:11 PM
    • 16,473 Posts
    • 140,933 Thanks
    JackieO
    as a war-time baby I think I definitely qualify as an old woman hope you have a fabulous day today xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total spend up to end of November since Jan 349.83 December new month spends so far 00
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 5th Aug 18, 7:54 AM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 24,688 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Hope you all have a wonderful day - and well done on getting to day 200.

I had a look at the smallholding plot, it looks fabulous, imagine having those views to look at when you pause from tending your veggies.

Looking forward to hearing about the wedding!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • TM6
    • By TM6 5th Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    as a war-time baby I think I definitely qualify as an old woman hope you have a fabulous day today xxx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Thank you JackieO
    • TM6
    • By TM6 5th Aug 18, 9:36 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Hope you all have a wonderful day - and well done on getting to day 200.

I had a look at the smallholding plot, it looks fabulous, imagine having those views to look at when you pause from tending your veggies.

Looking forward to hearing about the wedding!
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Thanks PWD

Yes the plot is stunning...a girl can dream
    • TM6
    • By TM6 5th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 202
    Fiscal Fast Day 202

Mum's 80th birthday went really, really well - an awesome time was had by all

...and a NSD
    • TM6
    • By TM6 6th Aug 18, 9:04 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 203
    Fiscal Fast Day 203

Today was our last day in London and we had a really lovely afternoon in Kingston Upon Thames.

Rather than pay extortionate car parking charges we parked on the outskirts for free and walked in. What a wonderful walk - Kingston is so full of historical buildings some of which we saw on our walk. I love sculpture too and one of my all time favourites is 'Out Of Order' by David Mach -

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1102588

Our spending was kept in check, we visited one charity shop and bought an item for re-sale and Hema which is an all time favourite shop. We did hit is quite hard but the stores are like hen's teeth and so we make the most of it when we are nearby. We probably only get to visit Hema once every two years.

Apart from an iced bottle of water from ASDA which was a necessity in this gorgeous weather, that was it

A lovely day spent in a relatively frugal way
    • TM6
    • By TM6 8th Aug 18, 5:55 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 204
    Fiscal Fast Day 204

Today we set off from London up to Yorkshire for all the pre wedding preparations.

Our costings were food along the journey. Ice was a must to keep us as cool as possible and we also stopped off in Milton Keynes at Costco for lunch
    • TM6
    • By TM6 8th Aug 18, 6:00 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 205
    Having arrived safely in Yorkshire, today was dedicated to looking after the Grandchildren and helping wherever we could. My future DIL works in a student orientated stationery shop and as she needed to call in at work, I went with her.

Of course I bought some stationery, it would have been rude not too (especially as I was treated to 25% discount) My shop was under 5 so a LSD
    • TM6
    • By TM6 8th Aug 18, 6:14 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 206
    Fiscal Fast Day 206

Another special day in the run up to the wedding. We took our Grandchildren to a fabby park and our only cost was bread for the ducks and some chunky kitkats for Grandpa That is all we spent ALL day

We did have a few hours downtime from all the excitement....

As a big auction/antiques fan, we found out (via his Fb page) that David Harper was opening a retirement home in Ilkley (which is not far from where we are staying). We were treated to , prosecco, nibbles and a wonderful talk by David Harper - what an absolutely lovely gentleman. Knowledgeable, informative, charming and funny. He answered everyone's questions and he spent plenty of time with us (he wasn't in a hurry to shoot off}
    An all round good egg

A fabulous couple of hours spent at no cost at all - my favourite kind of treat

Only 3 more sleep until our DS gets married - I'm SO excited
    • TM6
    • By TM6 9th Aug 18, 10:35 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 207
    Fiscal Fast Day 207

A very hectic day of helping DS with household jobs and looking after the Grandchildren

For lunch we had fish and chips with proper mushy peas (nobody does them like Yorkshire folk)....and scraps on our chips. Delish!

That was our only spend today.

In the evening we went our to a fantastic family run Persian restaurant and celebrated my Mum's 80th with more of the family

As they used to say on The Magic Roundabout...Boing said Zeberdee...time for bed....ZZZzzz
    • TM6
    • By TM6 10th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 208
    Fiscal Fast Day 208

Wedding eve - I'm SO excited

Our spends today included a 30 shop at Tesco but that included all my Mum's shopping and that of my my DD2 and DD3 so not too bad.

With a frugal head on we bought our drinks at Tesco which will save us a fortune at the hotel, I daren't think how much a round would cost here.

Obviously at the wedding, things will be different but tonight we are room bound as we have the gorgeous Grandchildren for most of the evening.

Tonight we also didn't want the cost of hotel food so DD2 and DD3 nipped out and picked up a Subway salad which was delish and was under 4.

Still on track and feeling fab
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 16,473 Posts
    • 140,933 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hope you have a fantastic day today and all goes well TM6,

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total spend up to end of November since Jan 349.83 December new month spends so far 00
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 11th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 24,688 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Very impressed with your frugal approach. I hope you!!!8217;ve all had a wonderful day.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • TM6
    • By TM6 13th Aug 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Hope you have a fantastic day today and all goes well TM6,

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Bless you JackieO
    • TM6
    • By TM6 13th Aug 18, 9:44 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Very impressed with your frugal approach. I hope you!!!8217;ve all had a wonderful day.
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Bless you PWD
    • TM6
    • By TM6 13th Aug 18, 9:49 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 5,170 Thanks
    TM6
    Fiscal Fast Day 209
    Fiscal Fast Day 209

Words can not express our feelings of immense love and pride for DS and DIL's wedding day so please enjoy....

https://www.facebook.com/Louise.Rayner.Photographer/photos/pcb.1686076214823445/1686076198156780/?type=3&theater

and yes amazingly, it was a NSD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,321Posts Today

6,222Users online

Martin's Twitter